Ranger Campaign Quesions

Campaign using LSR Ranger addons

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

whammo

Ranger Campaign Quesions

Post by whammo » 2004-06-20 01:36:44

1. Why do half my troops ignore orders? They always seem to run off in their own direction.

2. Why do you have to bring injured men on a continuing mission? I'm talking about after returning to base, and then leaving again. Not the missions that continue from the field.

Other than those issues, I'm having a blast with this campaign!

Thank you.

Snake_Man

Re: Ranger Campaign Quesions

Post by Snake_Man » 2004-06-20 11:26:09

1. Why do half my troops ignore orders? They always seem to run off  in their own direction.
I have never seen this on OFP unless some script is giving commands to troops at your squad. In PMC Ranger Path there is no such scripts.
2. Why do you have to bring injured men on a continuing mission?
Hmm not sure about that. The weapon loads and unit status is saved from mission to mission, but I cant recall how does it work, will it bring injured soldiers along or simply kills them therefore you just never seen them as they are deletevehicle'd.

At least the weapons are effected by this I believe in few of the Nogova missions.

Can you create some reproduceable procedure for me to follow up on this injury issue from mission to mission? If there is a bug, I'll surely try fix it.

whammo

Post by whammo » 2004-06-20 19:31:21

In some missions, I start out with 9 men. Rangers 5 through 9 usually do their own thing when I engage the enemy, i.e. run off and engage on their own. They will return to formation only if I begin to move. They dont follow any "return to formation" orders or "stay low" or anything. 2 through 4 usually stays in formation and follows orders. Needless to say that most of my injuries occur with rangers 5 through 9.

In terms of recreating the injury situation, I wouldn't know how. I guess you can tell me what files, i.e. savegames, etc. to email you!

I mean I got guys crawling around on their bellies, because their injuries are so sever. I played the mission where I had to capture a major in the Russian Army and ambush his convoy. trying to set up an ambush while my guys could barely walk was pure hell.

Let me know what you need. Right now, I can't remember if the regular PMC campaign did this as well.

Thanks

Snake_Man

Post by Snake_Man » 2004-06-21 14:15:53

Just to check, you are running the latest PMC Ranger Path campaign file from the download page in this web site?

whammo

Post by whammo » 2004-06-22 23:57:05

Yes, I have the latest files. The Ranger order problem, could it be that the number 5 guy is usually designated team leader 2?

Thanks

CM

Post by CM » 2004-07-02 22:22:24

I would first like to compliment you on the amazing work all of you did on the Fury campaign: 200 missions is an enormous investment in time (more than it took the rest of us to play it). Once I completed it, I was eager to try out the Ranger Path campaign.

I had a few SNAFUs with the addons when I first started, but after a thorough housecleaning, everything loaded fine (hat tip to the forum threads to point me in that direction).

I do have one problem: I have finished the first 4-5 (?)missions with no casualties. Last night, I started Ranger Action2 and realized I was missing Rangers 6 and 8 as I assualted the first objective. Thinking they may have been killed and I didn't notice, I started the mission over (revert). I checked my team during the briefing and, sure enough, two guys were missing. Looking back at the statistics of the previous missions, they all indicate NO CASUALTIES.

Any ideas? Two guys probably aren't the end of the world, but it's early in the campaign and I don't like to start out in a hole for no reason.

Thanks in advance.

Snake_Man

Post by Snake_Man » 2004-07-03 13:27:54

I started Ranger Action2 and realized I was missing Rangers 6 and 8 as I assualted the first objective.  Thinking they may have been killed and I didn't notice, I started the mission over (revert).  I checked my team during the briefing and, sure enough, two guys were missing.
Very interesting.

I'll look into this and if there is infact a problem, I'll fix it. Stay tuned...

CM

Post by CM » 2004-07-08 20:53:38

I made it through Action 2 without losing any team members. When I got to the briefing page of teh next mission (Airborne), I checked and the entire team was intact again! Maybe they were on R&R?

Snake_Man

Post by Snake_Man » 2004-07-09 05:15:26

I still need to playtest the mission, however I already did bunch of edits to the Ranger Action 2 mission. No idea when new version comes online.

Reacher
1st Lt

Post by Reacher » 2004-08-31 16:25:02

Snake, I also have had problems since the very first version of Ranger Path with at least two soldiers that would ignore orders and just take off. They seem to have a mind of their own! ;) The only way to control them completely is to issue the "Halt" command, or simply direct them to a specific location. I've had some success over the past in giving the "Form Line" command, but sometimes they still ignore that.

Usually, it is Ranger #3 and I believe #5. The two soldiers will continue to crawl or walk directly towards the enemy and unfortunately are usually killed, forcing a restart of the last save.

I've only gotten to mission #2 so far of the latest version but can already see the big differences. I'm glad you decided to put the armor back into mission #2. Without it, that mission turned from an all-out battle to an easy mission of just sniping from a distance. Now, it seems to be back to the impossible stage. Just like I like em'... ;D

A couple of things I've noticed so far: (Through 2 missions)
I've become a medic. (I know all Rangers are medics, but previous versions I've played never required me to perform medic duties.) Sometimes medic duties come at a really bad time! ;)

Rangers with anti-armor weapons are no longer dead-on accurate as they were in previous versions. Lots of misses with the AT4's. :( (No complaint, I just have to make adjustments for possible misses)

It's still a great campaign!

Reacher

Snake_Man

Post by Snake_Man » 2004-08-31 18:43:01

two soldiers that would ignore orders and just take off.
What does their status line at the bottom of the screen say this time when they start to run off?

What do they reply if you select them and do the 5-5 command which is "Report Status" if I recall the buttons correctly?

I can promise you there is NO SCRIPTS in PMC Ranger Path missions that make your squad to move. Therefore I have no idea why that would happen.

shinRaiden
Captain

Post by shinRaiden » 2004-09-01 04:17:08

I've seen a similar effect in other missions where there is some 'dissension' in the ranks, where two decides you're no longer competent, and takes over the squad. How that happens, i don't know, but it seemed that it was related to time away, "negative"s, and the like.

Reacher
1st Lt

Post by Reacher » 2004-09-01 17:34:03

Snake, I've run into a major problem starting with the "Ranger Juice" mission. Once we're aboard the chopper to head to the insertion point, I notice that I'm wounded. So is Ranger #9. OK, no big deal, I'll just heal when we get to the insertion site. But no, there are no ranger medics and my injury is the kind that only allows you to crawl. #9 is the same way. Neither of us was wounded in the previous mission.

I figured it was just an error in the mission scripting, so I did a "end mission" and went to the next mission, (searching for the downed pilot), and the same thing occurred. No way can I search for the pilot crawling around.

This appears to be a bug and I'm not sure what to do. I suppose I could keep ending missions until I find a mission that has a medic or a medic tent. But that's no fun.

Also, on the renegade soldiers that sometimes don't operate with the other team members, this is an old time bug that has been in the Ranger Path campaign since day one. I've always had to make sure that when setting up for an ambush that I controlled a couple of the rangers that always wanted to keep heading for the target or whatever they wanted to do.

So this isn't a new bug at all. I just learned to live with it and control them with commands such as halt or positioned them in exact locations.

Help me on this injury thing! :(

Reacher

Snake_Man

Post by Snake_Man » 2004-09-01 22:13:55

"Ranger Juice" mission.  Once we're aboard the chopper to head to the insertion point, I notice that I'm wounded.  So is Ranger #9.
All right I'll look into this.
Also, on the renegade soldiers that sometimes don't operate with the other team members, this is an old time bug that has been in the Ranger Path campaign since day one.
How can I reproduce this bug?

Reacher
1st Lt

Post by Reacher » 2004-09-02 18:32:06

How can I reproduce this bug?
Snake, I'm not sure if one could call it a bug, really. During the last couple of missions, I've watched from above exactly what is happening. It seems that unlike other OFP missions, campaigns, etc., when the team leader stops, several of the other Rangers do not stop. In other words, they're breaking formation by continuing on.

When I watched it this time, it was at least 3 Rangers that continued on towards the original path we had been on. The formatation was "Wedge" but when I stopped and looked, it was anything but a wedge formations. I allowed them to keep going and noticed that they must have gone an additional 30 to 50 meters ahead of the "line". Of course, this draws fire immediately from the enemy when these "advanced" scouts are spotted.

Like I said previously, I've learned to live with it and know what to expect and how to handle it. It just requires more preparation before engaging the rangers.

Reacher

Reacher
1st Lt

Post by Reacher » 2004-09-02 18:44:37

Snake, I forgot to mention that the other problem I had with being wounded along with another Ranger at the start of the mission was corrected by going back 2 missions and just using the "end mission" command and going to the next mission.

This was the problem with no Ranger being a medic, even me and not having any way to heal soldiers. Note: The two wounded Rangers, me included, were wounded pretty bad and only able to crawl.

I'm not sure why that occurred, but I managed to get to the next mission by reverting back 2 missions.

I can't remember the name of the mission that this occurred, but it was the one right after that long mission taking the airport.

Reacher

svldvc88

Post by svldvc88 » 2005-04-10 05:07:38

HELP HELP HELP
I love this Campaign, but I ran into a problem on my 2nd mission...the RAnger Action or something, where I have to capture the ruins...
I captured the ruins alright, but the mission does not end.
I killed EVERY soldier and living thing, even truck, and UAZ, and barrels etc. I've checked the whole place like 5-6 times out and no soldiers found...everyone is dead, and mission still doesn't end ???
Does anyone know why???
Let me know @ svldvc8@excite.com
I appreciate it!