Hawaii Island Terrain

Farming Simulator 22 editing discussion

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

Surfin Cowboy Gaming
Gaming Interests: Farming Simulator
Editing Interests: All, I (try) to edit everything.

Hawaii Island Terrain

Post by Surfin Cowboy Gaming » 2024-01-28 00:22:40

I'm wanting to create a 8x8 km map based off the terrain of the Island of Hawaii. I've never seen a map based on any of the Hawaii islands, and after living here for some time, I've decided to make one myself. I've dabbled with map making previously, but never done anything with Real world terrain. Does anyone know of a good place to find detailed heightmaps for Hawaii? Also is it just as simple as using the height map as the map dem, or is it more complicated than that?

My idea is, since there are no real fields here, to make it an uncharted, or no mans land type map, where players can create their own fields where ever they want. Since cattle operations are a big deal here, I'm thinking about creating a pre-placed open range cow pen, that fits the terrain.

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief
Gaming Interests: ArmA, ArmA 2, Falcon 4.0 and OFP.

Re: Hawaii Island Terrain

Post by Snake Man » 2024-01-28 01:55:38

Surfin Cowboy Gaming wrote:
2024-01-28 00:22:40
Does anyone know of a good place to find detailed heightmaps for Hawaii?
Did a quick google search and this came up geoportal.hawaii.gov/pages/elevation-service. That would require to pick the location, download (big) heightmap data, then load it up to global mapper or QGIS and export out cropped heightmap data.

If you can pick the area you want, grab a screenshot of it or link it somehow, I could take a look what can be downloaded and how it would load in global mapper.
Also is it just as simple as using the height map as the map dem, or is it more complicated than that?
Heightmap is the elevation data, map_dem.png is just giants farming simulator heightmap image file name, so in essence they are the same, what you asked replaced with apple would be "is it as simple as eating apple as apple" ;)

In short; download data, load to global mapper, crop, export ASCII Grid ASC heightmap file, load to L3DT, get heightScale and export final PNG for FS22.
Since cattle operations are a big deal here, I'm thinking about creating a pre-placed open range cow pen, that fits the terrain.
BTW do you know how to create such large animal (cows, pigs or sheeps) pasture alike open range area which fits to ground nicely so animals wont float in the air when they walk? Asking because I'd like to learn how its done, I cannot stand these placeable animal barns that has minuscule size pastures for way too many animals, feels like animal cruelty to me heh.
PMC Tactical Forum New User Registration please read new info here.

PMC since 1984

Editing knowledge, visit PMC Editing Wiki
The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage
View our videos in PMC Youtube channel

PMC Tactical forum Advanced Search is power.

"ALPHA BLACK TO PAPA BEAR. ALL RUSSIANS ARE TOAST. OVER."

Surfin Cowboy Gaming

Post by Surfin Cowboy Gaming » 2024-01-28 03:36:06

Did a quick google search and this came up geoportal.hawaii.gov/pages/elevation-service. That would require to pick the location, download (big) heightmap data, then load it up to global mapper or QGIS and export out cropped heightmap data.

If you can pick the area you want, grab a screenshot of it or link it somehow, I could take a look what can be downloaded and how it would load in global mapper.
I picked the island below, If need be, I can refine it smaller.
In short; download data, load to global mapper, crop, export ASCII Grid ASC heightmap file, load to L3DT, get heightScale and export final PNG for FS22.
What is L3DT, if I might ask?
BTW do you know how to create such large animal (cows, pigs or sheeps) pasture alike open range area which fits to ground nicely so animals wont float in the air when they walk? Asking because I'd like to learn how its done, I cannot stand these placeable animal barns that has minuscule size pastures for way too many animals, feels like animal cruelty to me heh.
I do not. To be honest, I don't even know if it's possible. It's just an idea I had. A lot of this is just ideas that I have, and I am planning on learning as I go.

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2024-01-28 09:27:33

Surfin Cowboy Gaming wrote:
2024-01-28 03:36:06
I picked the island below, If need be, I can refine it smaller.
https://imgur.com/a/Lp8oehO
Not sure why the image doesn't show up on forum post, I think you need to right mouse button (RMB) click the image and select "open image in new tab" then copy-paste its https link to the forum, like this: https://i.imgur.com/i91Bfdo.png

Another way is to google/maps link it, like this: https://www.google.com/maps/@19.6394051 ... a=!3m1!1e3

Is that the island you mean?
What is L3DT, if I might ask?
Oops sorry was very late for me last night, missed its link, here you got some good info PMC Editing Wiki: L3DT homepage.
I do not. To be honest, I don't even know if it's possible. It's just an idea I had. A lot of this is just ideas that I have, and I am planning on learning as I go.
I was talking with leaddawg in his twitch stream last year about FS22 animals and he mentioned that "UMRV" terrain has some placeables or something that can be placed down where the large animal pasture conforms (spelling?) into terrain nicely, he even demonstrated his large cow pastures and they looked great. I believe there was some feeding trough slight issue but I cant recall what it was. Anyways, point being I recall it being possible to do such large animal pasture, I just have never done it.

Lets figure out how to do it, document it so everyone can benefit :)

PMC since 1984

The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage

Surfin Cowboy Gaming

Post by Surfin Cowboy Gaming » 2024-01-28 17:26:52

Another way is to google/maps link it, like this: https://www.google.com/maps/@19.6394051 ... a=!3m1!1e3

Is that the island you mean?
Yes, that is the island.

Surfin Cowboy Gaming

Post by Surfin Cowboy Gaming » 2024-02-04 22:09:28

I did more looking at the Hawaii Statewide GIS site, and they only have a small fraction of terrain and elevation data for the Island I want to use. However I found a 10m but it's hillshade, will that work just as well? Also I tried downloading the trial of Global mapper, but it wouldn't let me unless I was a student/teacher, or a business with a business email. Is there another way to get the free version?

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2024-02-05 03:16:08

Hillshade, never heard of such elevation data.

Instead of global mapper, you could try free open source QGIS, I don't personally use that but back in 2017 early ArmA 3 real world data terrain days I did play around with it a bit.

PMC since 1984

Surfin Cowboy Gaming

Post by Surfin Cowboy Gaming » 2024-02-09 02:56:11

I've tried Using QGIS, to follow your Real World Data Terrain tutorial for both arma, and fs, but when I go to create the grid, I've not found a way to specify the grid size, or move the grid around after it's made. Also I downloaded Terra Incognita, and when I choose the openstreetmaps map source it just shows "Missing Map Tiles" displayed over and over repeatedly. It shows that it's downloading map tiles, but after letting it sit for about 1-2 hours nothing changes it still says missing map tiles for what would be the whole map. I'm pretty sure I'm doing something incorrect, but I'm not sure what.

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2024-02-09 05:12:46

when I go to create the grid, I've not found a way to specify the grid size, or move the grid around after it's made.
Its been years since 2017 that I used it last time so cant help you there. I been meaning to install QGIS and play around with it, almost just out of curiosity and that it would be good for the greater community to provide free open source software solution for real world data stuff instead of that commercial global mapper, however haven't got around to it so far :(
Also I downloaded Terra Incognita, and when I choose the openstreetmaps map source it just shows "Missing Map Tiles" displayed over and over repeatedly.
Terra Incognita OpenStreetMaps (OSM) has not been working for couple of years now, its been a really long time since I managed to use it the last time. I recommend you switch to: map source -> maps.google.com -> google street map, its the best equivalent for OSM.

BTW could you help me out and confirm that map source -> ESRI ArcGis -> ESRI ArcGis is not working, it just shows same "missing map tile" like OSM source?

So how is your terrain project going currently, what have you been able and not been able to do so far?

PMC since 1984

Surfin Cowboy Gaming

Post by Surfin Cowboy Gaming » 2024-02-10 01:17:18

BTW could you help me out and confirm that map source -> ESRI ArcGis -> ESRI ArcGis is not working, it just shows same "missing map tile" like OSM source?
Yes, ESRI ArcGis is not working as well.
So how is your terrain project going currently, what have you been able and not been able to do so far?
Well, I'm stuck on QGIS. I've got OSM loaded as a layer, and I changed the I set the CRS to NAD83/UTM zone 5N, but I've not found a way to make a specific sized grid to continue the tutorial. Is there another way to get terrain besides using Gobal Mapper, or QGIS?

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2024-02-10 01:36:53

Don't know other methods, there might be some GIS tools out there but never did any research. What tutorial were you reading?

PMC since 1984

Surfin Cowboy Gaming

Post by Surfin Cowboy Gaming » 2024-02-10 01:50:08

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2024-02-10 06:59:24

That is PMC ArmA 3 Real World Data terrain tutorial which uses global mapper, in PMC Editing Wiki you will find QGIS real world data terrain tutorial as well.

I didn't read these myself now to confirm how specific they are for the grid creation, but these definitely help you to move into the right direction:

PMC Editing Wiki: QGIS real world data, PMC Editing Wiki: QGIS real world data tutorial and PMC Editing Wiki: QGIS Reproject & Transform Tutorial. Also as a backup PMC Editing Wiki "search QGIS".

Let me know how it turns out.

PMC since 1984