PMC Brave Hammer Development

ArmA 3 editing; configs, modeling, missions, textures, terrain etc.

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief
Gaming Interests: ArmA, ArmA 2, Falcon 4.0 and OFP.
Editing Interests: All, I (try) to edit everything.

PMC Brave Hammer Development

Post by Snake Man » 2022-06-01 18:11:21

PMC Brave Hammer development topic, contains spoilers. Read background and intro from brave hammer general topic.

Now all triggers have been replaced with SQF scripts and everything runs without errors, however now the big game-play part starts :)

No idea how many missions this would include, I have no specific plan for massive number of missions but definitely more is coming.

Campaign HUB, yes definitely. My current plan is to make main chernarus airfield as MFR base where operations are launched and the team hangs out, rearms, goes to patrol, side missions, etc.

There was some force balancing issues on couple of missions, these missions worked much differently in arma2 and now it feels like they turned into very difficult if not outright impossible. Plan is to fix the balance by using unmanned aerial vehicle drone (CUP MQ-9 Reaper), M119 artillery and M252 mortars for example. MFR to my knowledge is not exactly assault force, they are reconnaissance unit which calls in the heavy weapons, so I don't want the missions to feel like players team takes on the world alone.

This development topic is where all kinds of campaign/mission editing info is shared and discussed, but this is not a dev diary.
PMC Tactical Forum New User Registration please read new info here.

PMC since 1984

Editing knowledge, visit PMC Editing Wiki
The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage
View our videos in PMC Youtube channel

PMC Tactical forum Advanced Search is power.

"ALPHA BLACK TO PAPA BEAR. ALL RUSSIANS ARE TOAST. OVER."

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Re: PMC Brave Hammer Development

Post by Snake Man » 2022-06-03 05:26:20

Spend good amount today editing this campaign, fixing bugs and balancing m003 and m004. Just finished good game-play testing session. This campaign is looking quite nice right now, even in its only 5 mission stage its very enjoyable.

Fixed m001 osprey mv-22 doing "skydance" with the diving and climbing, also it now automatically HALO jumps you out of the aircraft.

m004 MQ-9 Reaper drone waypoint tweaking, now it flies high and nice large circle loiter pattern, still hustle to get the viewDistance right for those long range hellfire shots.

Seems like there is some bug with UAV and artillery module, when I target M252 mortars with UAV it doesn't take many shots before the mortar goes to some sort of out of order state, its not dead but just not working and it definitely is not out of ammo. Shame as UAV is great way to target for artillery.

Several other smaller bug fixes and improvements, cant even remember them all nor would I have patience to type them all here, check github heh.

Yeah overall campaign is looking very nice.

Next big step would be to add campaign hub mission and start to plan on patrol etc side missions and some actual progress making missions.

As usual I want to capture that behind the enemy lines if "FOB" type location where you got bad guys all around you and never know when is the next attack. Then going out for patrol, some recon etc, cool stuff :)

Hopefully I can get some campaign hub action soon, cant wait. If anyone has ideas for side and patrol missions etc, please let me know.

PMC since 1984

The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage

ARG_Afb
1st Lt
Gaming Interests: ArmA 3
Editing Interests: Terrains

Post by ARG_Afb » 2022-06-03 12:11:54

Nice to hear that more missions and campaigns are on the way! Good luck solving all the problems and wish everything goes well! wish you the best man! :D
AFB

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2022-06-03 22:53:33

Just posted PMC main development computer video card fried explaining my situation.

For the past, hmm how many days its now been, of editing PMC Bravo Hammer campaign and writing detailed dev diary about it... I lost all those dev diary texts (not campaign mission files, they are safe).

I am so bummed out about this, there was so much good info on the dev diary, man why didn't I upload them every day after finishing writing, they would have been now saved by github and our own web page too.

Anyways, what can you do, shit happens.

However we can learn from our mistakes, well I don't exactly call this my mistake as GPU failed, but yeah now I have the knowledge and this GPU is off the PMC roster.

While they are kind of separate issues (backups), this also might push me to upload/release dev diaries on more frequent manner, usually I do that once actual addon/mission release happens, but now I'm thinking it should be done when ever there is more than few paragraphs of text to upload. Its not wine, it wont get better with age, once its written release that shit ;)

Alright so what did I do today? Umm lemme copy paste the last few days of my actual changelog.

Code: Select all

2022-05-30:
- brave hammer changed from dreaded chernarus autumn to summer terrain
- brave hammer pmc_objectives.sqf gives undefined variable error, fixed
- brave hammer halo jump fixes, still not perfect though
2022-05-31:
- brave hammer cmp 01 end of mission got error dialog from campaign/description.ext
- brave hammer cmp 03 deleted 0 byte briefing.sqf file
- brave hammer cmp 03 scripting errors in PMC_Objectives.sqf and PMC_Init.sqf fixed
- brave hammer cmp 03 had four bizarre ghost team members in briefing -> team :)
- brave hammer cmp 02 added briefing designers note about the zu-23 gun trucks
- brave hammer removed teamswitch from all missions
- brave hammer opening cutscene Warning Message: Script PMC/PMC_Music_Jukebox_ArmA3_Default_Tracks.sqf not found
- brave hammer cmp 01 "gethere" has no task
- brave hammer cmp 01 briefing "when you ground" eh, when you are on the ground, maybe?
- brave hammer mission name prefix upgrade
- brave hammer weapon pool load init2 thingy at the start loading the mission twice
- brave hammer opening cutscene should have fade ins between camera changes so they arent so abrupt
- brave hammer opening cutscene titletext should be plain down
- brave hammer added briefing note to m002 how to end the mission
- brave hammer m003 briefing situation updated
- brave hammer m003 add some radio chatter from the incoming helos
- brave hammer m004 replaced three triggers with sqf
- brave hammer saveStatus and loadStatus added
- brave hammer m004 added cup mq-9 reaper drone for air support
2022-06-01:
- brave hammer m000 virtual arsenal box with all the goodies added
2022-06-02:
- brave hammer m003 inserted marines have COMBAT mode on, change to AWARE
- brave hammer m003 helo insertion assembles two m252 mortar guys, not too much rounds but enough to make a dent
- brave hammer m003 add updating markers for the 4 USMC squads
- brave hammer m003 add sub tasks for capturing smaller areas, even buildings perhaps
- brave hammer m004 briefing doesnt explain much that there is opfor attacking
- brave hammer m004 ending radio message got no reply, nobody was there, snif ;)
- brave hammer m002 add briefing note of helicopter approach direction
- brave hammer m002 no starting marker
- brave hammer m001 insertion osprey does crazy sky dance, fix the setPosASL thing so it flies straight and level
- brave hammer m001 ending radio call was just abrupt "we have intel" and then mission ended, haha. add protocol!
2022-06-03:
- brave hammer m003 mission ending no HQ reply
- brave hammer m003 uh60 insertion helo switched to hold fire behavior
- brave hammer m003 child task areas need hand placed bad guys, now it feels insulting to just tour them through
- brave hammer m003 child task activated by overflying f35 ;)
- brave hammer m003 f35s must have RTB script, it got old as two were circling above endlessly
- brave hammer m003 child task 9 added soldiers to the two story building
- brave hammer m003 f35 altitude increased to about 850m
Around all that work there was just endless number of dev diary paragraphs written, all gone now, sigh.

Well now we continue editing and writing dev diaries with frequent backups copied to four different hard disk drives on two computers and then frequent uploads to web so everyone can enjoy them.

PMC since 1984

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2022-06-11 23:59:55

Yesterday created chernarus airfield campaign hub mission and patrol mission stubs, there are basic functionality now just to get from hub to patrol and back again, nothing more.

Campaign hub mission directory name is called hub_airfield and patrol mission is patrol_airfield, I'm using hub_, patrol_ and d_ as mission dir name prefixes, d_ is for defense. Normal missions have well normal dir names.

Airfield campaign hub mission has twenty (20) ammo boxes now with saveVar so they are persistent on all missions, plenty of weapons/gear and empty space for player to store stuff. There are also medical tent aka field hospital to take care of any wounded soldiers.

Its funny how difficult it is to design such patrol mission for example, in PMC campaigns we cover all populate places and if patrol mission has to block off areas where future missions happen... err where exactly could you go to patrol if every village, town and city is blocked off ;)

Of course we could just leave everything open, create bad guys to all populated places using dynamic simulation and have an awesome free roam open world randomly generated enemy setup, but it really does look odd if in the future you then get properly mission editor hand made enemy city setup in normal mission. Hmm.

Anyways.

At least airfield campaign hub is now done, its a start.

PMC since 1984

ARG_Afb
1st Lt

Post by ARG_Afb » 2022-06-13 00:32:05

That mission sounds nice! Would like to play those someday, now I mostly test vehicles and mods, it’s interesting to see how the gameplay experience changes with them
AFB

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2022-06-13 01:44:01

You probably mean addons, I doubt you have tested many mods yet, especially as there are so few of them. Its good to learn the difference between these two.

Addons are characters, vehicles, weapons, helicopters, aircracts and objects. Modifications (total modifications, or "mods") are all the above WITH terrains.

Anyways.

Yeah PMC Brave Hammer is already playable for new guys, its not exactly the easiest of campaigns but should be doable. We also have bunch of other campaigns and multiplayer missions you would like.

PMC since 1984

ARG_Afb
1st Lt

Post by ARG_Afb » 2022-06-13 13:31:33

Oooh yeah thanks for telling me the difference, yeah have a lot of addons, and tested some maps also, most of them from PMC and CUP, the only one I tested that isn’t from these two is VIDDA, really liked that map, remembers me the Argentinian Andes mountains
AFB

ARG_Afb
1st Lt

Post by ARG_Afb » 2022-06-13 13:32:16

Where can I find Brave Hammer download link? Or it’s still WIP
AFB

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2022-06-13 15:37:41

Technically its on github but even experienced ofp/arma dev would need few attempts to get it compiled correctly, so short answer is nope, no download link.

If you want to test it out I can get the PBO and put it for download.

Its still very much work in progress, but missions 1 through 4 are very enjoyable already, gotta love CUP units and chernarus terrain.

PMC since 1984