Cutting back time spent on ArmA Discord

ArmA 3 general discussion

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief
Gaming Interests: ArmA, ArmA 2, Falcon 4.0 and OFP.
Editing Interests: All, I (try) to edit everything.

Cutting back time spent on ArmA Discord

Post by Snake Man » 2017-01-16 07:44:39

Cutting back time spent on arma discord, drastically.

Since 2012 I spend a lot of time in skype arma groups / channels, mostly in terrain maps one. I think it was late 2014 when I left it and uninstalled skype win client because of the horrible ads etc crap that was added to it (tinfoil hat people spoke about NSA snooping and other malware type stuff too).

I continued idling on arma IRC channels which unfortunately were all but dead (eventually I left those because few remaining guys there bullshitted offtopic and all these channels did was to keep my IRSSI channel list way too long).

So I joined discord by Dwarden's recommendation in late 2015 / early 2016 I just cant remember. BTW I'm also using discord for few other arma mod and Elite Dangerous chats.

I have been drinking the k00l-aid believing that skype is dead and discord is the hot stuff.

Those of you in arma discord has seen that I've been very active in #terrain_makers for the past few weeks since my august comeback (to arma2 and discord), while doing arma3 terrain testing and updating PMC Editing Wiki with some cool terrain info and tutorials.

When Bushlurker passed the last weekend I wanted to login into skype and save any private messages I had with him. I managed to login with the web.skype browser version but no messages, then even tried to install skype win client and still no messages would show up. I uninstalled skype abomination for the one last and final time, ugh! :x

Then just few days ago I logged back in (using the web browser version) because I had to reach Miro and he is one of those guys who is not on discord (to my knowledge).

And now I got some terrain maps group / channel chatting history since the login few days ago and to my disbelief... there is still a lot of conversation going on, a lot of the "heavy hitters" old timers like Mikero, Jakerod, Pennyworth etc (just to name few I saw) seems to be chatting there.

Seeing that got me so frustrated / depressed because I really thought skype is dead and discord is the hot shit.

I am not going to monitor discord and skype at the same time, I would have no time editing if I did that, besides I would never go back to the skype ads etc horror anyways. Skype is dead to me.

But now I'm extremely frustrated that I spend this much time in discord and it is not even "the one and only place to be" so to speak.

Now in my frustrated state I decided to drastically cut back my time spent on discord. This reminds me of the good old days when I had forum "addiction" that I spent more time hammering forums for new posts than actually editing terrains! BTW I have given that up years ago already, I probably checked bis forums this year (before august) maybe just a few times :)

Whole point is that I don't want to waste my valuable editing time reading and often just waiting for people to chat in discord.

So maybe I'll try lets say few days, perhaps even a week from this moment that I'll check discord (and might as well forums too) only once per day and just edit / play arma instead. Obviously this excludes googling stuff which mostly leads me to bis forum posts.

Anyways.

So why did I write this "rant", heh well I didn't want to just disappear out of the blue especially as I've been writing nightly (UTC) monologues in discord #terrain_makers for week(s) now :)

Just to be clear: I will not quit discord or cut back of my arma editing. I'm cutting my discord time because the mentioned frustration and still slightly divided (mostly terrain) community chat. This means I have a lot more time per day for arma editing, tutorial writing and playing (in-fact I haven't played in weeks).

Also message to those people still using skype; LEAVE. Just leave skype. If you must use it for work fine, but leave the arma channels and stick with arma discord as that is million times better and more active than skype.
PMC Tactical Forum New User Registration please read new info here.

PMC since 1984

Editing knowledge, visit PMC Editing Wiki
The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage
View our videos in PMC Youtube channel

PMC Tactical forum Advanced Search is power.

"ALPHA BLACK TO PAPA BEAR. ALL RUSSIANS ARE TOAST. OVER."