Goofing off over the Kuriles

Kurile islands theater

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

toonces
Brig. General

Goofing off over the Kuriles

Post by toonces » 2009-05-23 00:05:15

Hey guys.

I've had this idea for a while, but it took me until tonight to actually give it a try.

Basically, I installed Tom's Hitiles, changed the season to winter, and then copied the tiles into the Kurile theater. I set the weather to inclement with a 12,000 foot base, and the result below is what I got: a very wintry, stormy looking Kurile theater. Sort of what you think of when dwelling on fighting a war in the north Pacific in the winter time.

I cracked open the .cam file and tweaked the blue OOB. I deleted alot of the land-based air, deleted one squadron of F-14s from each CVN, and then added in some JSDF planes. As you may know, FF5 features a number of JSDF jets: F-1 (two skins), F-4EJ (two skins), F-15J, and the F-104J (which I didn't add). And, all of these planes come with a 2D and 3D cockpit. If we can get a Japanese skin for the F-16s, we'd be set with a very nice JSDF OOB.

Finally, while I haven't done any long experiments yet, I see ALOT of ground movement in this theater as installed.

In short, this theater is very well done and could probably be taken to a very immersive "working" status quite easily.

I have a few ideas:

1. A campaign like you already have, but using the JSDF OOB along with the US CVNs.
2. A simulated exercise the Cope Thunder/Red Flag Alaska with aggressor skins and perhaps some new aggressor F-15 skins (we could easily get 3 skins out of the two existing F-15Cs, plus the F-15J. Add in the F-15A and you have 4 separate F-15 aggressors right there, plus all the aggressors from Nevada...).
3. Same as 1 but either a bit earlier or a bit later. The FF5 database is just begging for a late 70's campaign. The Vietnam-era jets are really well fleshed out (F-4, A-4, A-7, F-104, F-105, A-6, F-111 and so on...all the MiGs...).

I dunno, what do you guys think? I think this campaign is just begging to be polished.

ccc
Chief of Staff

Re: Goofing off over the Kuriles

Post by ccc » 2009-05-23 01:52:14

yes winter tiles/bad weather/FF5 DB could make a cool kurile mod, i knew it. :mrgreen:

if you want, i can send you my tweaked files -theater.l2, texture.bin, TRI and cam files.

BTW, better set Bifuka occupied by Red side at the beginning of war, and keep Red reinforcement arriving at some intervals.