Default campaign AF trick - does it work?

Campaign editing

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

Luk
Brig. General

Default campaign AF trick - does it work?

Post by Luk » 2010-11-14 23:25:15

there is a nice trick - the possibility to mod default AF campaign. It was discussed at Frugals in the past.
I have it stored since 2006, but unfortunely did not try it in the past.
Took me quite a while to figure this out. In each campaign folder(e.g Korea):
save0.cam rolling fire
save1.cam iron fortress
save2.cam tiger spirit
I did it like this: Back up save0.cam and rename save0.cam to save0.tac. Open save0.tac with mission builder in tactical engagement. Add a squadron of EF2000 to Seoul AB(It was named the 1031 fighter squadron). Save and exit. Rename save0.tac to save0.cam and enter the campaign(New-Rolling fire-Seoul AB-1031FS). The campaign isn't running correctly right now, but I just exit and let the autosave function save the update. Then I replace the adjusted save0.cam by the original one. Re-enter the campaign(Saved-auto save), a redeployment message and a newsreport came up. I was redeployed to Sunwon AB, just south of seoul. And campaign engine was assigning my EF2000s BARCAP missions. 8 slammers and 2 Asraams! Yeah!

The complete procedure:
1. Backup the saveX.cam you want to edit.
2. Rename saveX.cam to saveX.tac
3. Fire up FalconAF.exe and open the saveX.tac in the TE editor.(Don't click on the CAMPAIGN button on the main UI or the game will CTD)
4. Make whatever changes you want to with the TE editor. But remember, we have to do all the editing in the TE Editor in ONE STEP, i.e., don't save the file and then try to come back to it later to edit more. (Thanks Napalmski and Sherlock)
5. Save the tac file and exit the game.
6. Rename SaveX.tac to SaveX.cam
7. Start the corresponding new campaign.(save0.cam: rolling fire; save1.cam: iron fortress; save2.cam tiger spirit)
8. Set the priorities. Don't click the start campaign button tho. Otherwise SAMs might not show up.(Thanks Sherlock ) Just exit and there will ba an autosave file. (Or manually save it at 09 00 00, it's the same).
9. Replace the edited saveX.cam with the original one. Overwrite it.
10. Re-enter the campaign from the campaign save file that has just been created in step 8. Done.

Don't forget Steps 8,9 and 10! They are essential for this to work.

The campaign save file doesn't save objects data so there will be quite a lot of mess up before the final step. However everything will be fine in the end.
Last edited by Skwabie : 19th May 2006 at 18:39.

Here's an update. I've just discovered the missing SAMs on UI map problem, too. However the solution is quite simple.
After renaming the edited .tac file to .cam file and entering the cam (it's the moment when the cam is still messed up), the SAMs will show up on the map for just a few seconds, and then they'll disappear. If you save the cam file after the SAMs have disappeared, the SAMs won't show up either later. So make sure you save the campaign save file before the SAMs disappear. Considering it happens just in a few seconds, I think it's best to save it even before you click the "start Campaign" button (at day 1 09 00 00). This way everything should work fine.
I tried to use this trick yesterday, but got CTD. Is it obsolete now? Did LP guys modified the exe to not allow this, since 2006 era patch(..6,7 or 8..)?
If so, it is possible to make another "unpatched" install to produce modified CAM file, then play it in last version I guess... .....?

Luk

Luk
Brig. General

Re: Default campaign AF trick - does it work?

Post by Luk » 2011-06-19 19:20:59

:wink:

it's so easy to mod a copy of something finished ...10 minutes tweak

visioninthedark
Recruit
Gaming Interests: Falcon 4.0
Editing Interests: All, I (try) to edit everything.

Post by visioninthedark » 2011-06-22 07:59:23

Hi,

DId you use the same steps like in your first post above? and this is how you moded it?

Also, how did you get the JAS-39 to show up?

I know how to add aircraft, but when I "enable" the JAS-39 - it doesn't appear on the screen ......

do I need to add this aircraft or something?

Luk
Brig. General

Post by Luk » 2011-06-27 19:38:55

DId you use the same steps like in your first post above? and this is how you moded it?
Yes.
Also, how did you get the JAS-39 to show up?

I know how to add aircraft, but when I "enable" the JAS-39 - it doesn't appear on the screen ......

do I need to add this aircraft or something?
sorry, but database edits are needed here
There is no JAS39C in db, also JAS39A model and settings are missing...

Luk