Creating a Custom Theater With Database

Campaign editing

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

DoctorX
Recruit
Gaming Interests: Falcon 4.0
Editing Interests: All, I (try) to edit everything.

Creating a Custom Theater With Database

Post by DoctorX » 2009-11-26 03:54:46

This is probably old news for a lot of you, but for anyone searching for info here is how to create your own custom theater with its own individual database.

This will cover how to take an existing theater and copy/isolate it so you can edit it without affecting/porking anything else. This doesn't cover how to create a new theater or database from scratch. This also doesn't cover how to edit anything, only how to set up the file structure to get you started.

This procedure is based on FF4. Some of the filenames and/or steps may be different for any other flavor (esp. AF)

So here we go...

1. In your Falcon4 root dir, if there is not one there already, create a new folder called "Theaters".
2. Within that folder, create a new folder with the name of your new theater. Ideally you should preface the name with the name of the existing theater and do not use any spaces in the filename.

For example, I will be making a new theater that is based on the default Korean theater, and I'm going to call it
"Iron Shield". So my file structure up to this point should look like this:

\Falcon4\Theaters\Korea-IronShield

3. Now, within that folder, make 4 new subfolders named "Art", "Campaign", "TerrData", and "TheaterDefinition".

We will now fill each of these folders with the (minimum) necessary files...

ART DIR-

If the theater you are copying from had its own "Art" and/or "Art1024" folders, copy the contents of them into your new "Art" folder and skip down to the next section. Otherwise add these files:

4. Create 2 subfolders within the Art directory, "Main" and "Resource". So (using the IronShield example) you should now have this:

\Falcon4\Theaters\(Korea-IronShield)\Art\Main
\Falcon4\Theaters\(Korea-IronShield)\Art\Resource

5. In the \Art\Main folder, copy the file lcktxtrc.irc from the original theater. This file contains most of the campaign/theater text.

6. In the \Art\Resource folder, copy the files "Select.idx" and "Select.rsc" from the original theater. These contain the artwork for the 3 campaigns that you see in the campaign selection screen.

CAMPAIGN DIR-

7. Copy all of the files from the "Campaign" or "Campaign\SAVE" folder for the theater you are copying into your new "Campaign" folder. There should now be over 100 files in your \Falcon4\Theaters\(Korea-IronShield)\Campaign folder and no subfolders. The most important files in here you will be editing are the "Save#.cam" files (the campaign files you will edit with tacedit) and the "Save#.tri" files (campaign event trigger files).

TERRDATA DIR-

8. Copy all of the files and subfolders from the "\TerrData" folder from the original theater you are copying into your new "\Terrdata" folder. If the existing theater did not have its own DB, then copy the original Korean DB. You should now (at least) have this:

\Falcon4\Theaters\(Korea-IronShield)\TerrData\Objects (database files including Falcon4.fed and/or Falcon4Tree.fed)
\Falcon4\Theaters\(Korea-IronShield)\TerrData\Objects\(OriginalTheaterName)Obj (folder containing skin files)
\Falcon4\Theaters\(Korea-IronShield)\TerrData\(OriginalTheaterName) (Folder containing terrain and texture files)
\Falcon4\Theaters\(Korea-IronShield)\TerrData\MiscTex

THEATERDEFINITION DIR-

9. Search for the theater definition files for your original theater. There are 2 and they typically are named the same as the theater, one has the file extension .tdf (the theater definition file) and the other has the extension .tga (targa format file, this is the artwork you see in the theater selection screen). Copy these two files into your new "TheaterDefinition" folder and rename them to be appropriate with your new theater name.

You should now have this (again using IronShield as an example - substitute your theater name):
\Falcon4\Theaters\(Korea-IronShield)\TheaterDefinition\(Korea-IronShield).tdf
\Falcon4\Theaters\(Korea-IronShield)\TheaterDefinition\(Korea-IronShield).tga

EDITING THE TDF FILE-

10. Now open the .tdf file for your new theater with a text editor and alter it as follows:

Code: Select all

# Name shown on the theater selection screen:
# (Put the name of your new theater below):
name Korea - Iron Shield

# Description shown on the theater selection screen:
# (Write a short description for your theater):
desc This is an example theater called Iron Shield.  

# Bitmap shown on the theater selection screen:
# (Change "Korea-IronShield" to the name of your new theater dir you created in step 2):
# (Change the name of this file to the name of the .tga file you created in step 9):
bitmap Theaters\Korea-IronShield\TheaterDefinition\Korea-IronShield.tga

# The campaign directory for the theater:
# (Change "Korea-IronShield" to the name of your new theater dir you created in step 2):
campaigndir Theaters\Korea-IronShield\Campaign

# Location of the terrain data directories ("\Terrain\", "\Texture\"):
# (Change the path to point to your new theater but leave the theater name the same as it was in the original .tdf file):
terraindir Theaters\Korea-IronShield\TerrData\Korea

# Location of the art directories ("\Art\" and "\Art1024\"):
artdir Theaters\Korea-IronShield

# Location of the movies directory ("\Movies\"):
# (This can be left alone):
moviedir

# Directory containing the UI sounds:
#uisounddir Sounds

# Directory containing the object data files ("\Falcon4.fed", etc.):
objectdir Theaters\Korea-IronShield\TerrData\Objects

# Directory containing the misctex files:
misctexdir Theaters\Korea-IronShield\TerrData\MiscTex

# Location of the directory containing the object skin files ("\KoreaObj\"):
3ddatadir Theaters\Korea-IronShield\TerrData\Objects

# Minimum tacan channel:
mintacan 1

# Directory containing the sound files:
sounddir Sounds
EDITING THE THEATER.LST FILE-

11. Finally, open the file "Theater.lst" located in your \Falcon4 root dir. Add the following line (of course change "Korea-IronShield" to your theater name):

Code: Select all

Theaters\Korea-IronShield\TheaterDefinition\Korea-IronShield.tdf

There you go. Hard part's done. Now all you gotta do is edit your new theater. 8-)

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief
Gaming Interests: ArmA, ArmA 2, Falcon 4.0 and OFP.

Re: Creating a Custom Theater With Database

Post by Snake Man » 2009-11-26 09:00:47

In PMC Editing Wiki: Unified Theater Directory Naming Structure we suggest to put the TDF + TGA as well possible version designation files into the root of your theater (not Theaters but YOUR theater). Much more nicer there.
PMC Tactical Forum New User Registration please read new info here.

PMC since 1984

Editing knowledge, visit PMC Editing Wiki
The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage
View our videos in PMC Youtube channel

PMC Tactical forum Advanced Search is power.

"ALPHA BLACK TO PAPA BEAR. ALL RUSSIANS ARE TOAST. OVER."

pipewrench
Recruit
Editing Interests: None of the above, I don't edit...

Post by pipewrench » 2009-11-26 19:23:00

Now that is the kind of stuff I've been looking for. I've been banging around in here for months looking for this step by step type of stuff. That's what prompted me to register. Have any more of this? I've been flying F4:AF for about six months and interested in modifying existing campaigns or creating a new.

As a newbie, let me say thank you. And thanks Snake Man for keeping this going.

Sherlock
Lt. General

Post by Sherlock » 2009-11-27 07:13:47

pipewrench wrote:Now that is the kind of stuff I've been looking for. I've been banging around in here for months looking for this step by step type of stuff. That's what prompted me to register. Have any more of this? I've been flying F4:AF for about six months and interested in modifying existing campaigns or creating a new.

As a newbie, let me say thank you. And thanks Snake Man for keeping this going.
If you found that interesting you may also find the "how to" steps in this post interesting also: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=21871&p=181267
Sherlock
Victurous te Saluto

pipewrench
Recruit

Post by pipewrench » 2009-11-28 00:06:08

Thanks Sherlock. That's a very nice post you wrote and gives me a good place to jump in and start.

derStef
Banned user
Editing Interests: Terrains

Post by derStef » 2009-11-28 11:33:38

err... playing aound with that stuff can really have bad effects on the ATO and ATM if you dont know what you are doing there.. it is not just putting or removing weapons on a HP... but I'm sure you know that.

good luck.

pipewrench
Recruit

Post by pipewrench » 2009-11-28 16:22:40

Point taken derStef. I'm not interested in playing just yet with something I don't understand, so I'm just looking under the hood at the moment. I might decide to do nothing, but the interest is there.

derStef
Banned user

Post by derStef » 2009-11-28 20:54:13

pipewrench wrote:Point taken derStef. I'm not interested in playing just yet with something I don't understand, so I'm just looking under the hood at the moment. I might decide to do nothing, but the interest is there.

sounds good and no worries mate,

you have to know that it is a far more sensitive area than the most ppl think. you can really drive things crazy in there.

there is one one out who understands that fully, only some are "close".

good luck and keep us updated with your plans! cheers

Stef

pipewrench
Recruit

Post by pipewrench » 2009-11-30 01:26:06

Thanks derStef. I suspect you are one of the "close" and I hope to tap you from time to time.

I don't really have the time to go into the depth that you have over the years.

There are many people here that deserve mention, and you sure belong in there. Thanks.

No worries and cheers too. :)

derStef
Banned user

Post by derStef » 2009-11-30 13:38:02

pipewrench wrote:Thanks derStef. I suspect you are one of the "close" and I hope to tap you from time to time.
lol sometimes closer sometimes farther.. :) as the most here.

pipewrench wrote:I don't really have the time to go into the depth that you have over the years.
yes, but maybe some of us can gather togehter and work something bigger out.... :)

regards

Stef