my VTE 1.3.10 review and suggestions,info*UPDATED 5/20*!!!!!

VTE - The most detailed and comprehensive Vietnam modification for ArmA 2

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

specter208
Gaming Interests: ArmA 2 (Armed Assault 2)
Editing Interests: Missions

my VTE 1.3.10 review and suggestions,info*UPDATED 5/20*!!!!!

Post by specter208 » 2011-05-16 04:56:01

I have been playing VTE since the latest demo version and i was very imnpressed by the quality of the demo and soon realized the potential the full mod could have, now since 1.3.9 my expectations have been far surpassed, the map layouts in partiucalar fascinate me, i give this mod a 10/10
my suggestions and requests(if possible):
UH-1C should be a proper short bodied Huey
request for a crosshair to aim rockets in hueys, and larger crosshair for the M134x2
request for a USMC UH-1E in gunship,transport and medevac loadouts
AH-1J should have MARINES instead of US army,and should be a nice field green color
UH-1D and H have no noticable differences and have no US Army markings aswell as olive drab or fiedl drab color
request for a 90mm RR USMC unit
UH-34 USMC should have a nice fiedl green color
request for VTE weapon codes for use in editor
M16A1M203 has the wrong design, it should have have aheat shield like the M16A2 GL( i would sugeest making the M16A2 full auto and and adding the 20 round mag.)
M16A1 GL leaf sights should be down when not using 203
several vehicles and helos/planes have no entry point for some or all positions of vehicles wwhen exiting
H-34 should be able to hold upto 18 soldiers (ingame only holds 13)
H-34 pilot can not be killed with small arms fire from outside
small US tank (forgot name lols) has wierd texture on tracks when moving
amphibious US APC LVTp-5 has no textures (looks like curry bar)
USS kitty Hawk is invisible
some actions such as opening doors on the US double latrine building give error codes when activating
some objects have no textures such as US soldierw/no head and legs (very disturbing and angering to me)
option to disable jungle insect noises
vietnamese speech is not allowe din game
request for to have option to switch between US and vietnamese mortars to vanilla arma 2 fire modes to use with artillery module, (in game direct fire mode is un usual and impractical to use if you are on a hill trying to destroy enemy units at base of a hill as an example)
UH-34 Mg has many USMC/US army markings, remove one set of markings
RTO units radio support does not appear to function
Mines, flare trap, whip trap do not appear to work (or i just don't know how to use them)
more units with different weapons for all factions (for example navy seals/MFr should have all VTE US weapons available, and VC should have some US VTE weapons considering VC were known to salvage what ever they could find and use)
request for Soviet special forces units
handling on NVA jets is very poor and hard to get good shots since cannons and ssights are not aligned
request for more buildings avaible in editor such as bunkers, tents,etc.

will update continusly
very good mod and will be monitorign very closley

UPDATE 5/16
CH-46 should be a field Green color and currently takes too much damage, and request to restor the cargo bay ramp open and close(it appears you used the OA model which had functioning ramp)
sightlines in foxholes at the top of hill 861 and 861a on khe sahn are not very good as the barbed wire gets in your way when trying to shoot in crouched (perhaps try elevating the fox holes and bunkers to be able to see over the wire a bit easier )
the S56 mojave helicopter should have retractable landing gear and be able to hold up to 20 soldiers excluding the pilots and gunner
the CH-53 should have retractable landing gear and perhaps restore the ramp functionality
request to have units with rolled up sleeves and functioning backpacks
hard to see the compass when on bright maps such as ia drang valley
ambient life Duck is a chicken
ambient life Water buffalo is a cow
request to add punji pits (perhaps take theVC cache and add a flat texture on top with punji sticks and should cause massive damamge to character and immobilize)
request for female VC character
request if possible for shorter stature NVA/VC
request for Saigon map
request for Saigon US Embassy USMC Guards units
sound for the PKM MG starts to crack up when maintqaing sustained fire
strange tank physics when driving T34 driving laterally across a hill, tank will turn very quickly and flip over when trying to change direction
M72 LAW should be positioned horizontally mounted ontop of the the US army backpacks when not in use
request for a possible full auto M14 with releastic recoil (very high kick)

UPDATE 5/18
M551 Sheridan takes way too much punishment before it is destroyed,( takes 10 shows from a T55 on the side armor to destroy) reall m551 sheridans were know for being easy to destory with light armor and sometimes having the turret base melt completely when destoryed
the M48 Patton takes too many shots to destroy a T55 (more than 10)
the pilots on the AH-1G and AH-1J are not placed in the center of the cockpit
the SU-76 tank has triangle shaped polygons that appear at certain angles when viewing at
the M551 sheridan has no damage indicator colors on the 2d model in game
M79 Grenade launcher ingame holds 30 grenades and fires semi-auto, needs to be fixed
request for new 3D destroyed model for M551 sheridan(would be cool to have a molten turret base with the turret sunken into the chasis and the gun pointing straightr up)
The back packs worn by the US Army soldiers in the game go through the wall of the CH-34

will update!

UPDATE 5/19
missing script on destroyed 3D model of MC-130
gyroscope trageting device in AH-1G and AH-1J gunner seat is now static and no longer moves
request for old napalm effects of demo version(looked betetr)

will update!

UPDATE 5/20
MFR Pointman(ithaca) cannot fire his shotgun(litterly when you click the weapon will not fire)
PRU Pointman ithaca) also cannot fire the ithaca shotgun
F100 (all variants) have the ailerons and elevators mixed up, when you pull up or down the ailerons will turn as if rolling to the left or right, and when rolling the elevators move straight up or down
Last edited by specter208 on 2011-05-21 00:20:51, edited 9 times in total.

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief
Gaming Interests: ArmA, ArmA 2, Falcon 4.0 and OFP.
Editing Interests: All, I (try) to edit everything.

Re: my VTE 1.3.10 review and suggestions,info

Post by Snake Man » 2011-05-16 05:44:32

specter208 wrote:I have been playing VTE since the latest demo version and i was very imnpressed by the quality of the demo and soon realized the potential the full mod could have, now since 1.3.9 my expectations have been far surpassed, the map layouts in partiucalar fascinate me, i give this mod a 10/10
Thank you for the kind words, comments like these make me even more motivated to develop VTE further.
Do you have any reference links for this model?
Added, will appear in next release.
I know its work in progress and I hope to finish it after next release, but classnames for weapons can be found in VTE online manual.
M16A1M203 has the wrong design, it should have have aheat shield like the M16A2 GL( i would sugeest making the M16A2 full auto and and adding the 20 round mag.)
Hmm are you saying the BIS M16A2 model is more suited for this?
Yeah the script somehow got broken recently, I tried to debug it out but couldn't find a solution.
some actions such as opening doors on the US double latrine building give error codes when activating
Fixed in next release.
some objects have no textures such as US soldierw/no head and legs
Hmm can you be more specific please?
I have to disappoint you here, in next version we get even more immerse jungle sound environment. I can understand people requesting (back in OFP/ArmA days) the "no voice" config removal, but the environmental sounds are integral part of the mod so unfortunately those wont be optional.
To this date I have not seen a mod that changes this. There are some voice addons which include combat yells, but your OPFOR units still speak russian.
request for to have option to switch between US and vietnamese mortars to vanilla arma 2 fire modes to use with artillery module, (in game direct fire mode is un usual and impractical to use if you are on a hill trying to destroy enemy units at base of a hill as an example)
I've been working to fix the remaining of VTE artillery, but for this next version it doesn't look promising as I just couldn't get our vehicle, our weapon and our magazine setup to fire. I have VTE M101 now which fires with artillery module (but there is a catch, its weapon and magazines, which are transparent to mission editor user, are from M119).

Rest assured, artillery is very high on my agenda to get fixed.
This is on the TODO list for next version, no promises though.
Heh funny that you mentioned as I just removed those ArmA 2 preview era configs :)
Mines, flare trap, whip trap do not appear to work (or i just don't know how to use them)
You can place mines in mission editor and when units walk into them, mines explode. Unfortunately there is no magazine type mines which you can deploy on the field. This would be cool to have I know, but so far its not done.
more units with different weapons for all factions (for example navy seals/MFr should have all VTE US weapons available, and VC should have some US VTE weapons considering VC were known to salvage what ever they could find and use)
Maybe, but for now you can just use init fields to remove existing and place new weapons/magazines for units (check above for class names list).
request for Soviet special forces units
This is actually the first time I hear this, do you have any reference links for these?
request for more buildings avaible in editor such as bunkers, tents,etc.
Hmm I recall back in the day when those objects were made by MI_Fred, he said that some objects cant be added into the editor, I took his word from it and never asked "why?". I think at the moment we already have quite nice list in there, do you have any specific objects in mind which you would like to use in editor?

Thanks for your feedback, very much appreciated :)
PMC Tactical Forum New User Registration please read new info here.

PMC since 1984

Editing knowledge, visit PMC Editing Wiki
The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage
View our videos in PMC Youtube channel

PMC Tactical forum Advanced Search is power.

"ALPHA BLACK TO PAPA BEAR. ALL RUSSIANS ARE TOAST. OVER."

specter208
Gaming Interests: ArmA 2 (Armed Assault 2)

Post by specter208 » 2011-05-17 04:04:50

Snake Man wrote:
specter208 wrote:I have been playing VTE since the latest demo version and i was very imnpressed by the quality of the demo and soon realized the potential the full mod could have, now since 1.3.9 my expectations have been far surpassed, the map layouts in partiucalar fascinate me, i give this mod a 10/10
Thank you for the kind words, comments like these make me even more motivated to develop VTE further.
will be even greater when more work is done
Do you have any reference links for this model?
here is a youtueb video of a plastic model i made my self aswell as more pictures and technical datahttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mJBsYn7PmI and http://www.collingsfoundation.org/Houst ... -1huey.htm
also to sum up the UH-1E is just a UH-1C/B airframe with MARINE markings in white or black, with Field green as the overall color, aswell as a rescue winch mounted on the roof
the gunship version features an AH-1G rotating gun turret underneath the nose with duel M60's and TK-2 weapon system, which is basicly the current rocket minigun combo on the ingame uh-1c EXCEPT it has quad m60s and 8 shot rocket podsx2
Added, will appear in next release.
good
I know its work in progress and I hope to finish it after next release, but classnames for weapons can be found in VTE online manual.
okay no problem
Hmm are you saying the BIS M16A2 model is more suited for this?
yes, the standard BIS model is more suited, except it has to be made full auto and with 20 or 30 round Mags, aswell as make the rear aperture sights the M16A1 kind (no windage or elevation knobs)
or if you can just take the curent M16A1 GL and add the heat shield here is a photo of the weapon http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Loading_M203.JPEG
Yeah the script somehow got broken recently, I tried to debug it out but couldn't find a solution.
does this mean it is dead?
Fixed in next release.
good
some objects have no textures such as US soldierw/no head and legs
Hmm can you be more specific please?
check objects->VTE Objects-> US soldier no or amrs, VC no head no arms, us soldierhanging from cross, and a few others are not completed, they appear as white blocks and some you have to use setpos because they spawn under the surface of the map
I have to disappoint you here, in next version we get even more immerse jungle sound environment. I can understand people requesting (back in OFP/ArmA days) the "no voice" config removal, but the environmental sounds are integral part of the mod so unfortunately those wont be optional.
no problem
To this date I have not seen a mod that changes this. There are some voice addons which include combat yells, but your OPFOR units still speak russian.
i only asked this because in modules there is a module that says "Vietnamese speech", i am not sure what it is but i assumed it was ther to allow NVA/VC to speak vietnamese
I've been working to fix the remaining of VTE artillery, but for this next version it doesn't look promising as I just couldn't get our vehicle, our weapon and our magazine setup to fire. I have VTE M101 now which fires with artillery module (but there is a catch, its weapon and magazines, which are transparent to mission editor user, are from M119).

Rest assured, artillery is very high on my agenda to get fixed.
good, will be waiting
This is on the TODO list for next version, no promises though.
i also feel it is not a priotority fix, but i also want to let you ikn0w that ALL USMC helos are field green color
Heh funny that you mentioned as I just removed those ArmA 2 preview era configs :)
this would have been cool,
You can place mines in mission editor and when units walk into them, mines explode. Unfortunately there is no magazine type mines which you can deploy on the field. This would be cool to have I know, but so far its not done.
can these be triggered by the player, or non playable units onyl , i tested these a few days ago on khe sahn as player and non playable units and none detonated or triggered as Nv/NVA or USA?
Maybe, but for now you can just use init fields to remove existing and place new weapons/magazines for units (check above for class names list).
no problem

Thanks for your feedback, very much appreciated :)

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2011-05-17 06:15:32

specter208 wrote:also to sum up the UH-1E is just a UH-1C/B airframe with MARINE markings in white or black, with Field green as the overall color, aswell as a rescue winch mounted on the roof
I might maybe eve attempt to do this texture, my skills are limited but only way to learn is to try, so why not. Paint it green, put black/white MARINES text and yellow stripe near the tail, gotcha.
the gunship version features an AH-1G rotating gun turret underneath the nose with duel M60's and TK-2 weapon system, which is basicly the current rocket minigun combo on the ingame uh-1c EXCEPT it has quad m60s and 8 shot rocket podsx2
So swap the gunship minigun to double M60's, heh ok. Cant promise anything for this, it might come out first as plain retexture of the gunship (with miniguns), but we'll see what we can do.
yes, the standard BIS model is more suited, except it has to be made full auto and with 20 or 30 round Mags, aswell as make the rear aperture sights the M16A1 kind (no windage or elevation knobs)
That should be doable, added to TODO list, no promises. Any more reference photos / specs would help of course.
does this mean it is dead?
It just needs the script fixed, so it works in MP too.
check objects->VTE Objects-> US soldier no or amrs, VC no head no arms, us soldierhanging from cross
Got it, added to bugs list.
in modules there is a module that says "Vietnamese speech", i am not sure what it is but i assumed it was ther to allow NVA/VC to speak vietnamese
This was our OFP native VTE vietnam combat yells, the script has not been ported to ArmA 2 yet. I think in general it needs complete overhaul to make sure its MP compatible.

All the VTE gamelogicks are disabled, you can use them in missions but they don't effect it anyway.
can these be triggered by the player, or non playable units onyl
Both.
i tested these a few days ago on khe sahn as player and non playable units and none detonated or triggered as Nv/NVA or USA?
I'll have to retest them, they were working fine in v1.3.9 release.

PMC since 1984

The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage

Supergrunt
Recruit

Re: my VTE 1.3.10 review and suggestions,info*UPDATED 5/20*!

Post by Supergrunt » 2011-05-24 22:41:39

just a little request

could the island base (runway) (NE corner) at the Ashau valley map be made a little larger so that aircraft like a C130could realy land and take off from there ?

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Re: my VTE 1.3.10 review and suggestions,info*UPDATED 5/20*!

Post by Snake Man » 2011-05-25 07:57:08

I'll have to take a look at it, can't remember how the terrain was in that location.

PMC since 1984

Return to “Vietnam: The Experience (ArmA 2)”