VTE - The most detailed and comprehensive Vietnam modification for ArmA 2

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

Uglyboy
2nd Lt
Gaming Interests: ArmA, ArmA 2 and OFP.
Editing Interests: Modeling

VTE preview BUG reports

Post by Uglyboy » 2009-11-14 19:27:15

If it's ok for you snakeman i open this thread to report the bugs, i will also quote here the bugs posted in the BI forum for you.
After a brief test i found:
-Little shadow problem on the M16A1 barrel ( http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/7522/immagine3el.jpg )
-Wierd texturing, maybe modelling issue on the M14 ( http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/1499/immagine4f.jpg )
-View blocked when using m119 and d30 ( not sure if it is like that in stock arma? )
- VERY VERY silent sound when firing RPD
- Artillery dialog works perfectly with mortars, doesn't work ( at least for me ) usings m119 and d30
- No engine sound inside the Huey, point of view too low, Probably something more ( i was thinking since for now there is only one basic hueys, what about ( i know i've already asked that :oops: ) using the normal vietnam huey that HWM have, they didn't gave you permission to modify it, but it's ok for the use, so until you got another nice huey that you can modify, what about using that one? It's not a big deal having just that version, it's the most common after all.
-Trees have strange lightning, got to test it night time, but in day time it's not an issue at all, EDIT: no issues on night time,
- Terrain in some part of La Drang is pixellated http://arma2base.de/content/images/VTE_Priview_01.jpg
- RTO artillery is a nice touch, but might be that i put the wrong cordinates ( first right then down, right?) but the explosion never comes and as i said in the other topic, i'm more for a mission related dialog script.
- Skyraider shadow lod problem http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/2773/immagineqw.jpg also while in 3rd person the fan texture is "not right" ( old problem was already there in A1 vte)
http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/8341/immagine2r.jpg
He is also in the USMC faction and not in the VTE_US, the point of view is very low, and he got a "sit back" action :?:
- Every time i crash a aircraft ( both huey chinook or skyraider ) i crash to desktop ( might be my issue only )
- During night time there is a insect ambient sound that seems a cell phone ringing and repeat over and over every 1-1.3 seconds it's pretty annoying maybe change the delay/add a new sound something like that can help, not really a bug btw the other ambient sounds are fine.
- sighted view of the ZU 23 is blocked by the model itself ( bad "eye" positioning or something like that )

Still lot of testing to do, but it's a lot more polished than i expected :mrgreen: Also i have a LOT more FPS than Utes or chernarus, my low end rig is thankfull as i am :D i'm now able to play with 5 km VD
Last edited by Uglyboy on 2009-11-15 00:33:30, edited 4 times in total.

Uglyboy
2nd Lt

Re: VTE preview BUG reports

Post by Uglyboy » 2009-11-15 00:33:56

Added few stuff

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief
Gaming Interests: ArmA, ArmA 2, Falcon 4.0 and OFP.
Editing Interests: All, I (try) to edit everything.

Post by Snake Man » 2009-11-15 00:37:08

Thanks for the bug reports, I love feedback, good or bad as long as I'm getting some :)

Yeah you could add new bugs into the first post, then post that you have just added these following bugs into first post and list the bugs, its easy to read and make distinction of old and new bugs.

Here is couple of follow up questions:

immagine3el.jpg - I'm looking and looking but cant see anything wrong, can you post larger / zoomed screenshot or explain what I'm looking at the red circle?

immagine4f.jpg - this is already fixed in my modo lxo file, but I semi forgot to implement it into this release. It will definitely appear in the next ArmA release and after that in the full ArmA 2 VTE.
using the normal vietnam huey that HWM have, they didn't gave you permission to modify it, but it's ok for the use, so until you got another nice huey that you can modify, what about using that one?
Could you ask them permissions for MLOD model use, perhaps they reconsider when plain users start to ask this. Worth the shot at least.

However I wont be adding models and stuff from other pbo's into VTE just by hooking them with configs. So its either MLOD with permissions or we stick what we have now.
Artillery dialog works perfectly with mortars, doesn't work ( at least for me ) usings m119 and d30
Hmm you mean the default ArmA 2 one or what kungtotte wrote?
Terrain in some part of La Drang is pixellated
I believe this is just because its low res, the satellite image is 6400 x 6400 pixels resolution. But I'll look into it if all the files are configured properly.
Every time i crash a aircraft ( both huey chinook or skyraider ) i crash to desktop
Oops, if this is confirmed then it calls for a hotfix...
sighted view of the ZU 23 is blocked by the model itself
That is plain BIS model, we only configured NVA to use it. So BIS needs to fix that.
PMC Tactical Forum New User Registration please read new info here.

PMC since 1984

Editing knowledge, visit PMC Editing Wiki
The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage
View our videos in PMC Youtube channel

PMC Tactical forum Advanced Search is power.

"ALPHA BLACK TO PAPA BEAR. ALL RUSSIANS ARE TOAST. OVER."

Uglyboy
2nd Lt

Post by Uglyboy » 2009-11-15 03:13:58

http://img121.imageshack.us/img121/4107/immagine3k.jpg
the pic is taken at 12.00 with the sun at its zenit, so the shadow casted on the barrel isn't right, the upper part of the barrel should be all enlighed ( when facing South the shadow is bigger, north a little thinier but it's always there ) might be worth to check the shadow lod in O2.

About the huey MLOD, it doesn't cost me nothing to ask them, i understand why they might be reluctant to "give it away" but i really hope that something can be done. Oh another thing about your UH1, the field of view is kinda restricted, 180° orizzontal turning is low considering that you can partially turn your body IRL, the default BI one should be fine, also the vertically not sure how much is that but a bit low too, with the normal fov i can check who is in my chopper, where i m going and will i hit that tree while landing? :mrgreen: I hope to see normal values restored on that at least slightly higher than now, it's both more realistic and useful.

"Hmm you mean the default ArmA 2 one or what kungtotte wrote?"

The BI ones, basically it works fine with the mortars, but with the cannons it just display the area surrounding the player and not follow the impact zone, making it useless. http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/5935/immagine6.jpg.

I found another little issue with the island, http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/9974/immagine5g.jpg those "squares" doesn't look right :D It's in the SE part of the island near the shore, didn't find any other for now.

Found a problem with map cordinate grid designation basically when zoomed out you can see that the cordinates go from 00-00 to 12-12 but when zooming in there are only 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9, where it should be instead, to say, 01 02 03 41 42 43 etc.. http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/4884/immagine7t.jpg

About crashes i can replycate that 100% of the time, but it's possible that it's only on my machine, need someone else to be sure

6 hours testing your stuff in the first day release, how dedicated am i? :mrgreen:

And speaking about permissions, it would be nice to ask Gnat about it's B52 http://img694.imageshack.us/img694/1419/immagine8.jpg it's already ingame, working perfectly and even the texture is fine for VTE era, so it's not even needed to ask for the editable model; since you seem already pretty busy doing edits i can ask for the permissions on the VTE mod behalf if it's ok for you. HWM, Gnat perhaps others if they made some good addons that fits in.

Uglyboy
2nd Lt

Post by Uglyboy » 2009-11-15 03:29:31

Oh right, the UH1 got Hydra but not Hydra pods modelled. And another thing that is not a bug but just a suggestion, the terrain texture colors are very bright ( especially when you look at the brownish terrain near the grass terrain), could you "wash them down" a bit, desaturate them? like i said it's not a bug, just eye candy :)

The RPG loaded with a warhead doesn't display it visually http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/1829/immagine9p.jpg
comparison: http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/822/immagine9a.jpg

Uglyboy
2nd Lt

Post by Uglyboy » 2009-11-15 03:55:56

The last report for today, skaven m60 ammo belt not animated, ambient sound generally too loud compared to weapons sound ( lower the first ones ) No difference between ak47 and type56 ( i guess it's placeholder ) The NVA sniper ( mosin ) has a ak47 instead ( placeholder again )The m79 30 round magazine it's not a good solution, I would rather prefer 1 round magazine in both secondary and primary ammo slot, but there are other more impellent priority at this stage. I challenge anybody to find a single thing that i missed :mrgreen:

Uglyboy
2nd Lt

Post by Uglyboy » 2009-11-16 00:50:01

Uglyboy wrote: I challenge anybody to find a single thing that i missed :mrgreen:
I guess that i really found everything :shock:

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2009-11-16 01:34:56

Don't be surprised, that's the usual amount of feedback were getting lately. This is nothing new to me.

But you keep reporting, its good stuff :)

PMC since 1984

The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2009-11-16 11:44:48

I'm considering doing a ... well not hotfix in the sense, but a brand new full release which would be kind of like hotfix because it would came out so quickly. Meaning that in few days I could edit stuff together, compile the full package and release it.

Do you guys (Uglyboy hehe) think there is enough gameplay hampering bugs/issues which would require a fix?

PMC since 1984

Uglyboy
2nd Lt

Post by Uglyboy » 2009-11-16 13:01:04

Gameplay wise? There aren't showstoppers bugs ( beside the CTD i get when destroying aircraft but i need someone to replicate that ), but a fix on those minor issues is surely welcome, also have you spoke to Anzac Steve? I hope you can solve that issue too. So yeah, if you don't have new stuff to add yet fix the issue and re release.
Oh i've sent a PM to Gnat asking permission for his wonderful B52 i hope you don't mind :)

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2009-11-16 13:25:59

But did you know we have B52 in VTE already?

You've done great work with the bug reporting, but could you make priority list like top 10 bugs (in order of importance) and perhaps top-3 "must fix" bugs? :)

PMC since 1984

Uglyboy
2nd Lt

Post by Uglyboy » 2009-11-16 13:40:07

Yeah i remember the B52 in VTE a1, but have you seen his B52? The vte one had few issues, the Gnat one.. well none it's a brilliant piece of work :oops: also have all the new A2 shaders , and a nice exaust smoke coming out the props, trying to upgrade the VTE one to that level would require a Lot of work, if he kindly gives the permission why not use that?

EDIT: bug top list
1 if someone anyone can replicate that CTD occuring when a aircraft is destroyed this is surely the most important bug, but seems i'm the only one getting here? nonelse?
2 Ambient sound too loud, i can hear them clearly while firing a MG gun or flying in 3rd person with a A10 ( that is the loudest plane for sure ) lower them, really
3 Map grid cord designation, read the above post for the explanation, it's really important to fix that or it will screw up MP play for sure.

Those are the only really really needed bug fix, now the less priority:
4 If we get a new huey sooner or later, scrap this one, if not, Point of view too low ( like it is on every aircraft, chinook and skyraider too and THOSE really need a fix, since the models are not going to be replaced ), no LAU-10 rocket pods modelled but the pilot can shoot rockets ( and they appear from the middle of the chopper ), a lot of minor issues too, but i hope we get a brand new model, fixing this one seems more like applying a patch on a mortal wound :( I'm telling this because a vietnam mod Deserve a uber nice looking Huey :D Hope we can get a new one.
5 Not exacty a bug, but the FOV turning restriction is bad, really bad for lot of reasons, return to BIS values please ( or at least very close to that ones )
6 I remember you saying it was already on the to do list, fix the M14 http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/1499/immagine4f.jpg and check out the m16a1 shadow lod, i'm sure theres something strange in the barrel.
7 A1 skyraider doesn't have a Shadow Lod at all beside for the weapon pylons http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/2773/immagineqw.jpg
8 RPD sound way too low, simple tweak here

the others are not so noticeable or urgent so this is my suggested priority list

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2009-11-16 14:22:02

Thanks for the list.

Unfortunately we have no new models in sight, we have to work what we have. It pains me but what can we do. Hopefully this clears up the "we need new XYZ model" discussions.

I'll decide today/tomorrow if I'll do quick new release, keep updating the above "top bugs" post because if/when I start to edit, I'll come back to look your list and work through it the best I can.

PMC since 1984

Uglyboy
2nd Lt

Post by Uglyboy » 2009-11-16 15:59:17

Ok, i'll keep the list updated if i spot something you, keep also an eye on the first posts, i didn't listed all the bugs, but if you find something you can fix that is not in the above 1-8 list all the better :D I'm also asking around the mod makers if someone would be interested in specific projects, since they don't come here on their own will, i'm hunting them down via PM :mrgreen: :mrgreen: even if just one answer positively it's a win and if not at least i tried

Uglyboy
2nd Lt

Post by Uglyboy » 2009-11-18 13:02:54

No new bugs spotted but i received permission from Gnat for his B52
Re: Permission to use B52 into VTE

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi UB,
VTE team can use the B52 in a pack.
Cheers,
Gnat

TrueApothecary
Recruit
Gaming Interests: ArmA 2 (Armed Assault 2)
Editing Interests: Modeling + Texturing

Post by TrueApothecary » 2009-11-18 21:56:24

Snake Man wrote:
Every time i crash a aircraft ( both huey chinook or skyraider ) i crash to desktop
Oops, if this is confirmed then it calls for a hotfix...
This seems to happen with all aircraft in the game. I think this is due to the game not finding the appropriate 'Wreck' model for each of these. Most aircraft display a charred piece of wreckage in place of the original model after they explode.

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2009-11-19 10:00:12

Well that's strange, I have test mission here where I placed all units from VTE so if any of them has any config or critical errors, I just click preview and know about it... and that mission is kind of goofy that the CH47 gets always blown up withing 10secs, and I get the disappearing model and rubble on the ground but no CTD.

I'll look into it.

PMC since 1984

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2009-11-19 16:44:46

Okay I did some editing, here is the changelog:

Code: Select all

--- fixes upgrade
- CTD occuring when a aircraft is destroyed, cant reproduce, works fine here.
- Ambient sound too loud, fixed.
- huey Point of view too low, fixed.
- huey no LAU-10 rocket pods modelled but the pilot can shoot rockets, fixed.
- FOV turning restriction is bad (helos?), fixed.
- M14 texturing, fixed.
- A1 skyraider doesn't have a Shadow Lod, added bad shadow volume.
- RPD sound way too low, fixed.
I'm thinking that this is the list of fixes for this "hotfix", I'm pretty much packing it up and starting to upload.

Uglyboy, if you would give it a dry run before the release, would possibly find any last remaining or new issues in this release. I would upload the release normally, but you would get the private link for it and time to test, before I throw it to the new sites and forums.

How does that sound?

PMC since 1984

Uglyboy
2nd Lt

Post by Uglyboy » 2009-11-19 23:21:35

Sounds really good :D i'll be sure to check every issue, hopefully the CTD is gone aswell, will see

TrueApothecary
Recruit
Gaming Interests: ArmA 2 (Armed Assault 2)
Editing Interests: Modeling + Texturing

VTE preview Hotfix 2 BUG reports

Post by TrueApothecary » 2009-12-07 14:17:35

Bug Report after Hotfix 1 & 2
Sorry I haven't posted this earlier. I think it is good that I waited, because I have noticed some changes (good and bad) after the hotfixes

CH 47-

Don't put the CH47 Chinook down yet, it still has a few fixes that need to be made before it is good to go.

- The Mount/Dismount position for the pilot and passenger slots is located approximently 10 feet behind, 10 ft to the starboard side, and 10 ft in the air. Personnel mounting the aircraft are not anywhere near the actual helo. Also, when you dismount as a pilot or passenger, you fall 10 feet, injuring your player severely. Both gunner mount/dismount positions are good to go.

-The pilot sits too high in his seat and needs to be moved down a few inches. He is floating

-Rudder pedals look like fuzzy TV screens from the outside of the Helo

-The starboard(right side) m60 on the CH47 is too far out from the gunner's window, you can see the mount portion of the gun floating outside the window. It is also located a bit too far to the left when sitting in the gunners seat (This makes Aiming the weapon akward).

-Both the Port and Starboard gunners clip through the side of the helo.

-The Passenger/cargo positions in the CH47 are too low. They need to be raised about 6 inches so that the characters are sitting on top of the seats. (Currently the seats pass through the character models.

- Outside textures could use some work. I'm not sure if this is because of the way lighting is handled on the model, but I notice a dark green/light green splotching along the exterior of the aircraft.

A4 Skyhawk

-Mount/Dismount position is about 15 feet behind and to the starboard side of the aircraft. (Old picture, don't mind the lack of shadow under the plane)

-Shadow model for the plane is far too blocky. It is an ugly contrast when you juxtapose the shadow of the nose and wings with the nice round ones given off by the bombs. It would be much nicer to see a little bit more complexity.

-Cockpit still needs some work. My suggestion is to try and get a working gunsight. A regular old pip sight should do (yellow dot and circle). It wouldn't be a bad idea to throw a flightstick in there as well, it should stand between the pilots feet.

UH-1 Huey

-Seats are transparent from a distance of 5+ feet.

-There is a "fuzzy TV" effect on some of the insturments. There are also some transparent textures on the dashboard.

-Pilot sits too far forward in his seat, rudder pedals go through his feet and the flight stick does not reach his hand.

-Much of the helo does not render when you look behind the pilot's seat.

-The co-pilot/observer seat is not an selectable seat position. Even with the UH-1 completely full, noone can sit in the observer's seat

-There is some clipping going on between the models sitting on the floor of the UH-1 and the models sitting in seats. (It goes a bit beyond 'brotherly love')The boots of characters sitting on the floor go through the bottom of the UH1, these models need to be moved closer to the edge so that their feet dangle off instead of thru. Gunners sit too far back... seat positions need to be re-worked in general.

M14
-The shadow model for the M14 is not bound to the model. This only happens to the player model in first person view. This also happens to the PRC-10 Radio Backpack

-The lowest portion of the front side post does not have a texture.
-The rear sight and the top portion of the metal support for the rear sight do not properly load their textures(Shows up as black). (Textures are blocky in general)

-Is it going to get its own sound?

M16
- There is a strange shadow issue on the handguard. I can not tell where it is coming from. Perhaps there is an open end somewhere on the model? I have also heard squares on models will cause odd shadow effects (triangles are best). I tried to take a picture so you can see it better. I think uglyboy pointed this out in an earlier post. This is such a beautiful M16a1 model, this shadow problem takes the beauty out of a well done model. (Note: this odd shadow is rendered from many different angles, I raised the weapon so it is easy to see)

-Rate of fire is too slow. The US military slowed down the rate of fire on the m16 after Vietnam. The M16A1 in vietnam fired about 200 rounds per minute faster than the one we use today.

M60
-Rate of fire is too fast on both the Helo and hand held M60s.
-Sounds do not match between helo and hand held M60s.

M79
-The reload animation is perfect. There has to be a way to force the player to reload after each shot.

NVA models
-NVA RTO has the same problem that the US model does with the radio shadow. (See the picture of the m14 to understand what I mean. It renders fine in 3rd person, but in 1st person the shadow is all over the place.)

-NVA RTO needs a new model, his radio clips through his backpack

-ALL NVA models have an odd twisting issue with their forearms. Their forearms all colapse around a single point, giving them an unusual shape.

-NVA models need new helmets. The texture on the helmet is a different color from the uniform, also, the model is a very blocky boonie cover, and simply needs to be replaced.

On a side note, the US VTE forces ought to have the same olive drab color. The hue is just a little bit different between different models.

Uglyboy
2nd Lt

Post by Uglyboy » 2009-12-08 01:28:57

Finally another beta tester :D good report, continue this way ;)

Return to “Vietnam: The Experience (ArmA 2)”