Never ending developer diary (ArmA 2)

VTE - The most detailed and comprehensive Vietnam modification for ArmA 2

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief
Gaming Interests: ArmA, ArmA 2, Falcon 4.0 and OFP.
Editing Interests: All, I (try) to edit everything.

Never ending developer diary (ArmA 2)

Post by Snake Man » 2009-09-23 17:26:53

Never ending developer diary has arrived to ArmA 2 :)

I can start this long winded topic by reporting that after granQ, wld427 and I decided to put together a lite version for Nov 14th release, I've been working on the Ia Drang to bring it on ArmA standards (yes ArmA, I don't have ArmA 2 tools installed yet) so we can get the clutter and stuff in.

Satellite texture and mask is done on the basic level, they are technically representing the old SEB Ia Drang valley texturing, but they are not pretty as its very low resolution. This will be worked on.

Today I was working on objects, I replaced the 50m jungle blocks with single trees and bushes. Its just experimenting now of the values, how many trees, what types etc to replace on one 50m x 50m area, it needs to look like jungle but not too thick which would be overkill for visuals and framerates.

More to come in weeks, months and years following. This is the beginning of Vietnam modding for ArmA 2 :D
PMC Tactical Forum New User Registration please read new info here.

PMC since 1984

Editing knowledge, visit PMC Editing Wiki
The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage
View our videos in PMC Youtube channel

PMC Tactical forum Advanced Search is power.

"ALPHA BLACK TO PAPA BEAR. ALL RUSSIANS ARE TOAST. OVER."

granQ
2nd Lt

Re: Never ending developer diary (ArmA 2)

Post by granQ » 2009-09-23 17:38:46

starting off with the config my goal is to put in:

Weapons:
M16, m60 and the PCR 25 radio. (snakeman done the m16 already)
Soldiers:
NVA, aircav basic soldier, aircav pilot (convert)
Vehicle
Huey (only coding, placeholder, until wld427 provide me with the model stuff)

current status is that all things are "ingame" as placeholders and now I will start putting the correct things ingame, also got a small surprised planned that I hope i will be able to include in the 14th nov release.

http://granq.game-host.org/upload/granQ/ingame_a2.jpg

EDIT:
All soldier models ingame, however what needed is to:
* Make blood textures stuff working
* Look into shadows
* Fix asian faces for NVA
* Improve textures a bit

granQ
2nd Lt

Post by granQ » 2009-09-24 19:15:21

asian faces fixed.
blood on soldiers fixed.

http://granq.game-host.org/upload/granQ/ingame_nva.jpg

Still need look into shadows/textures and esp rvmat files to make sure they are good ones.. but well, its nice. I can "play" now :)

EDIT:

M60 and PRC 25 is both ingame, realized a mg for NVA is also needed.. but other then that I will "halt" importation and focus on improve what we got.
http://granq.game-host.org/upload/granQ/lz_secured.jpg

granQ
2nd Lt

Post by granQ » 2009-09-28 09:11:47

ok, "phase1" completed for me.

Next on my list is to make sure is getting all our weapons to "vte" feeling, for instance the m60 is kinda the same as the m240 in arma2 except the model.

So time to change sound, rate of fire and copy those values from old vte, so here is my next "to do list"

* Make sure everything is in the stringtable and used
* Use of VTE sounds
* Ammo, hitpoints, tracers and stuff working
* NVA and pilot portrait photos need to be done.
* Add mg assistent
* Add fireteam leader.

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2009-09-29 10:12:38

Just played some on the current version (if you can even call it that yet) and the first time in ArmA 2 I got that "Wow this is NAM!" feeling, it was great. Ia Drang terrain, single tree/bush jungles, satellite texture + ground clutter... then AirCav with NAM weapons, man its sweet.

Now I can promise to you guys that Vietnam has indeed arrived to ArmA 2 :D

PMC since 1984

The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage

Sgt.Spoetnik
Gaming Interests: ArmA and ArmA 2.
Editing Interests: Terrains

Post by Sgt.Spoetnik » 2009-09-29 15:26:36

Sounds great snake-man, can you mayby provide us with some pics off the map and some off the gear, cant wait to see it in arma2.
keep up the great work snake-man and granQ,
later

granQ
2nd Lt

Post by granQ » 2009-10-02 09:07:07

fixed the icons for different gear, didn't fancy the default ones (Also they were lacking like the radio operator, very important in Nam..)

granQ
2nd Lt

Post by granQ » 2009-10-03 09:22:05

not on the "to do list", but since it was just a matter of changing textures I couldn't resist..
Need to work on the texture, this was just first test to see the pattern was ok (which it isn't) and that it worked nicely ingame.

a bonus...

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2009-10-03 12:49:34

Good work granQ!

Today I spend some time on Modo 401 to edit the vte_tree06.p3d to make few variations of this single tree Ia Drang wrp is using now. I made three quite nice looking variations of it, I'm sure when these are distributed into the jungle, it makes it much more fuller and natural looking.

PMC since 1984

granQ
2nd Lt

Post by granQ » 2009-10-06 09:15:10

Kungtotte is working on our request artillery stuff, this is how it looks like right now, but he got nice ideas for it.

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2009-10-06 09:49:28

Forgot to add diary stuff last night, so here it is :)

It was good progress, I can't even remember everything we did. As we have the SVN repository up and running, me and granQ have been putting tons of good edits there. I committed new version of the Ia Drang with 6400x6400 satellite texture/mask. Then there is running speeds, jungle environmental sounds, distant mountains removed (skybox), user interface, and original sounds for weapons.

All in all very productive editing day.

Right now its very enjoyable package already, only missing the helicopter.

I was bit cautious about the quick Nov 14th date, but heck... we have more than one full month left for editing and hopefully tonight all the essential stuff is ingame, so all is left is tweaking. In my eyes we are pretty much done (well you know what I mean, if its ingame, working, done deal). Sure we have tons of small stuff to fix which will look good on newbie Vietnam players eyes, but all in all I am very very happy of our current progress which is far more than I imagined when starting this.

Oh and... if anyone wants to help in any way possible, we are more than happy to receive such help.

PMC since 1984

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2009-10-09 09:16:05

granQ ported in the VTE Huey, good job on that. Then I tweaked it a bit with rotor proxys and some icon images etc. So now we have UH1-D in game and working.

Yes even I admit that damn man the old huey starts to show its age even to the point that its below my level of quality (which is real low hehe). For example when flying the helo as pilot, the cockpit "dashboard" is transparent and all the gauges have some alpha channel ugly effects. Okay sure this is texture ERROR and not poor OFP quality, but its one of the things what I mean that it would be so great to have brand new helicopter model + uv mapping + textures for VTE.

Anyways... Stop whining, grow a dick and handle your business!

Man I got to learn UV mapping + texturing, I got to.

PMC since 1984

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2009-10-10 13:20:03

Yesterdays development includes adding VTE CH-47 Chinook and remaining missing textures for characters as well as icon/picture images for gear/weapons. Also other config fixes were done so right now the current build in the SVN runs without any errors which is very satisfying.

We still have one month time to develop this thing and as I already said, its pretty much done. That is always a good thing, you never have enough time. Now we just keep fixing it and adding tweaks and improvements, but no additional features so we don't fall into the never ending development pit.

Of course I cannot rule out that we don't add anything, maybe there is some crucial piece of discovery that we must add it, in fact now that I'm thinking about it (and looking the vte_wpn dir) there is no radio model for the NVA :)

But in any case we are now in the state where the real fixing and tweaking starts, since all the major parts are in.

PMC since 1984

granQ
2nd Lt

Post by granQ » 2009-10-11 07:11:50

speaking of adding.. when snakeman was sleeping I added the static arma2 weapons with vte crew, so the zu23 and Dhskm for the NVA and the M2 machinegun for the US. Since this is a2 model it not like it merans extra job for us. No bugs to tweak there.

Aussie Dave
Recruit

Post by Aussie Dave » 2009-10-25 00:34:20

Snake Man wrote: I decided to put together a lite version for Nov 14th release
Are you still on target for this or is it a in house release.
GamingSA, located in the ADNAP datacentre in the heart of Adelaide with fibre optic high speed veins branching out to provide high-speed access for all.

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2009-10-25 05:29:06

Hehe yes Nov 14th will happen. In fact, all major work is done, now I'm just sitting here fiddling my thumbs as I have nothing to do :)

Terrain is in. Objects are in. Soldiers are in. Weapons are in. Helicopters are in. UI, sounds, skybox, running speeds... oh yeah, all in baby.

I don't see any way we would not meet the Nov 14th promised release date.

PMC since 1984

granQ
2nd Lt

Post by granQ » 2009-10-28 07:29:15

just point out it isn't so pretty at this stage, infact the huey is bad... really bad at this stage.

Uglyboy
2nd Lt
Gaming Interests: ArmA, ArmA 2 and OFP.
Editing Interests: Modeling

Post by Uglyboy » 2009-11-07 20:33:46

About the hueys there were HWM guys ( or something like that ) that made it really nice, in fact they made a vietnam version already, ever asked them if you could use those beauty?

granQ
2nd Lt

Post by granQ » 2009-11-09 00:28:44

yeah and they said we could use it but only link back to their addon, so we couldn't make more then their version.

and we like to have the gunships, medic versions, normal ones and so on. Right now we will be releasing with a "placeholder", but we hope to get uggas model out in the community, open source since we need help with it. We got a model but there is so much work with it.

anyway.. "mental" note.. for me and snakeman.

Stuff to do before thursdag:

CH47
* Add a lower lod.
* Pilots get in thru the nose rather then the door after you hit get in. Done
* Lower its armor
* Improve visual when destroyed:
* Adjust get out point.

A1 Skyraider
* Double check loadout, supposed to have current one? Done,sorta, would love adding WP rockets but no time
* Fix sound. Done,sorta, sounds strange...
* Fix displayname on cannons. Done

C130
* Make new texture.
* Merge textures
Last edited by granQ on 2009-11-10 13:08:28, edited 2 times in total.

Uglyboy
2nd Lt

Post by Uglyboy » 2009-11-09 01:02:26

Got it, btw i would like to help somehow, i'm kind of a noob modeller ( started like 2 month ago ) do you have some low priority stuff that you don't have time to model, i would like to give it a shot, i was working on a L115A3 for a friend that is making UK forces for arma 2:
http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/6041/direct3d.jpg early screen, but i lost the succesive ~8 hours on it because of a crash and grow bored of that project for now, so i need something fresh to keep me interested 8-) Like you can see in the screen i'm not a pro, so i can make easy stuff only, not vehicles and such, but hey vietnam is quite big there should be something i can model right? :mrgreen:

EDIT: since i'm here, i want to say that i love that arty system above, give the dialog a "dirty paper texture" and it looks very fitting :twisted: also i hope that with VTE at regular veteran and expert ( maybe not recruit ) difficult you don't have the green/red units and vehicles markings on the map telling where you are, so that it actually requires some orientation skills and map reading ( but not too much ) to hit the target with the artillery and avoid catastrophic friendly fire :twisted:

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2009-11-09 06:57:51

Uglyboy what model would you like try out on? Vegetation? Building? Bombs? I think there are many simple models in those categories.

As for updates, last night I plugged in the granQ touched satellite texture/mask and its now committed to SVN repo. Fixed the aircav pilot boots color as it was tan desert, now its nice default black again.

PMC since 1984

Uglyboy
2nd Lt

Post by Uglyboy » 2009-11-09 17:04:49

Yeah buildings and maybe general objects, there is plenty of room for that, for example i remember some coop mission in VTE where you had to destroy fuel tanks and such, just that those fuel tanks where US and 80-90' looking :D same goes for radio tower etc.. Also since i'm learning, doing very different things should improve somewhat my ( low ) skill 8-)
what i shoud start to do?

EDIT: i read in the other topic something about betatests, i you are interested testing it in a low end machine let me know:
Win XP 32 bit
P4 @3.2
2Ghz RAM
ATI x1650 pro
Asus p5gd1

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2009-11-13 05:54:01

Sorry we are past beta testing stage now, release is here already tomorrow.

The release is on schedule, but some sudden things have come up... we had to drop the C130 because it just wasn't manageable at the moment and the reward for this theme/demo/lite version would be very little. CH47 still needs lot of work. Soldiers are not binarized now and I don't have the tools to do them, they work as MLOD's but I would really hate to release them as is. Huey cockpit fix is pending but I think it can be done.

Today is a big day, I'm planning that the release RAR should be ready by end of the day. So I'm on a clock for the last few details.

There is no critical bugs really, I mean this addon right now is better than 90% of the garbage you see released, but I'd like to bring it of course to the level where I feel confident about it. For example the CH47 right now is not up to the level of addon I'm used to and the soldier binarization really troubles me.

Anyways, this update post was the beginning of today, hopefully I'll remember to post another tonight when I'm done editing, then we can see what did I get done during the day.

No fear, release comes tomorrow, its just that how comfortable I feel about its technical level.

PMC since 1984

Uglyboy
2nd Lt

Post by Uglyboy » 2009-11-13 14:01:39

Can't wait to see how the first release come out :D One quick question, did you applyed the new A2 shaders and RVmats to the units/vehicles?

Uglyboy
2nd Lt

Post by Uglyboy » 2009-11-13 14:22:20

Also what's the status on that nice arty script? The other day i was thinking on a "radio support system": Basically the team/platoon leader get's an action when near the radio guy
- Call HQ
This will open a HQ dialog with some options, to say
- Call in Artillery
- Call in Airstrike/Gunship
- Call in Evac/MedEvac
- Call in Airdrop Reinforcement ( if avaible )

Each of this option will open other option like for arty HE, WP, Smoke etc..
Via dialog this is very doable, just need the scripting skills to do that :mrgreen: If none here can/would do that, perhaps asking Mandoble on the BI Forum, he already done amazing things and seems just the kind of stuff he can do ( and this is much more easier than the things he usually do :shock: ) Please keep on open mind about this :oops:

EDIT: this can be added in a mission for example by "VTE_HQ" module to say, and the mission designer can define what is avaible in the init ( seems even more Mandoble type of stuff :D )

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2009-11-13 18:53:58

Today is pretty much wrapped up. Got the CH47 sorted out, its in... actually it turned out pretty nice even though I was almost flipping a coin if I remove it too. Soldiers are binarized but we have shadow volume bug on the NVA. I got it fixed by copying the BIS sample model volumes but... then its not binarized again. Oh well... its only a demo/lite/preview.

Tweaked the UI also so its 1024x768 compatible.

Actually dunno what else I edited.
Uglyboy wrote:Can't wait to see how the first release come out :D One quick question, did you applyed the new A2 shaders and RVmats to the units/vehicles?
Nope, or dunno if the CH47 has them.
Also what's the status on that nice arty script?
I saw it in on the configs and eventhandlers, but didn't try out now (earlier when it was introduced I tried and it didn't work).

PMC since 1984

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2009-11-14 06:52:47

It is done...

I just rarred up the release dir after doing final tests. I could not see any errors on screen directly, everything seems to work fine, so its release time. I am not happy with the current status of this release, but we promised Nov 14th and we will deliver.

All I can say is this is a preview, a demo... the full VTE release in the future of course will be better.

Upload is on progress now, should be done in 5hours. Download size is 190mb.

PMC since 1984

granQ
2nd Lt

Post by granQ » 2009-11-14 11:32:42

haven't it been 5 hours now?

banana
2nd Lt

Post by banana » 2009-11-25 17:10:17

I post such things from now on in a kind of blog

Uglyboy
2nd Lt

Post by Uglyboy » 2009-11-26 07:06:31

Very nice CL GL :D do you plan to use the right hand animation? Need help on that?

Uglyboy
2nd Lt

Post by Uglyboy » 2009-12-03 03:10:47

Hey banana, one week 4 models in your blog, not bad at all :shock: if you continue this way we'll pretty much run off vietnam hardware to do here :D Continue like this your doing good. :mrgreen:

EDIT: wow man even much more detailed now :D i love where this is going :D keep us uptaded and teased :mrgreen:

Uglyboy
2nd Lt

Post by Uglyboy » 2009-12-08 10:27:48

One thing i'm not sure if i mentioned before; some time ago i've asked Mandoble if he could help us with a scripted concept i was thinking about for VTE, basically a HQ radio support system/console, he said that once he was done with mando missiles, he will work on mando console too, then hopefully we will able to get this :D Right now, well it's all in my head, will write down a easily understandable flow dialog so you get what i mean

EDIT: anyway, it's something like mando console in Arma1

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2010-08-16 11:11:47

As I wrote in the Full development has started topic, it really is ongoing now.

I just binarized all addon dirs but ran into serious problem with vte_config, it is just too much of a mess to be ported "just like that" so I had to cut it out and now I started to rewrite the config from scratch :shock:

Feels bit overwhelming, but that's how its gotta be done, too much config stuff has changed on ArmA 2.

Right now I got terrains in-game, which of course lack of 229 ArmA objects which is another major nightmare for me to port over. Luckily I got 25km demo and aircombat terrains that use just native VTE objects and there is no errors in them, so at least I get to fool around in-game already. Of course none of the VTE units, vehicles or weapons are in yet.

I'll be posting updates here as I go along, I can see its going to be wonderful journey to bring this monster into fully working mod as we knew it from ArmA :)

Take a ride, here we go...

PMC since 1984

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2010-08-17 01:20:49

I got all the soldier models in-game, as well as weapons and aircraft/helos. There are some issues but the soldier models seem to work pretty decently now, few ca\ texture path references which cause some nuisance to port over but nothing too serious.

Things are looking good for one nights editing ;)

PMC since 1984

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2010-08-18 18:07:07

Todays agenda was to fix the last nights TODO list issues, which I did.. Then I proceeded to add ammo boxes and after that it was time to tackle the ArmA object porting.

229 objects in total (308mb MLODs + textures), where I think 4-5 ruins objects were missing. All ported now, textures and rvmat's copied over. Terrain PEW files moveobject fixed for the new paths. Oh and I also changed the stupid space in file name roads to be with underscores instead.

Tested all the terrains, only couple of strange road objects were still with the old file name, found one missing texture, but overall very solid work for today.

Artillery turrets give me trouble, I'm bit lacking behind with those as I don't fully understand the inheriting, anything that looks proper inheriting to me gives error, what looks like totally "that cant work" actually works without errors, its crazy. I really need to take another hard look on turret configs :)

Overall I'm really happy with the progress, at the current state its still not even an alpha because there is errors in-game (mentioned artillery turrets), terrains don't have other than placeholder almost RGB color scheme satellites and most of the vehicles have one or other sort of problems mostly config and geometry related. Give it few more days with this pace of progress and it will start to look usable :)

Actually for tomorrow, I have to go "look" for something major/big to add, because pretty much all major parts are in.

Stay tuned.

PMC since 1984

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2010-08-24 10:18:23

Now I've fixed the artillery turret problems. No, artillery is still just models with basic shell shooting capability, all the fine details need to be added like individual shell types and BIS artillery module compatibility. However now the arty pieces work, when you place them in a mission you wont get an error anymore and you can shoot shells from them. That is the first step of getting them to work.

All infantry issues are now fixed, I can bring in all BLUFOR/OPFOR units at one mission at the same time and get no errors.

Same goes with weapons, no errors on any infantry weapons right now.

All terrains also so far in my tests run without errors, but there is so much landscape and so many objects to cover, that it needs much more testing to be sure. Bridges still float and satellite textures and clutter is to tweak.

PMC since 1984

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2010-09-05 17:12:22

Sorry for the lack of updates recently, been working hard to get the first private test version together and it came increasingly harder as I again got somewhat serious editing burnout, that's what you get when you edit months at the time 24/7 :)

Now the VTE v1.3.1 FULL ArmA 2 version has been packed and uploaded. It is ready for private testing. This version will not be released publicly. How the testing and development goes, dictates when the public release is will become ready. Our dedicated server will be updated with this version, I and the testers will be playing some MP there.

If you are serious Vietnam mod fan and would like to contribute by testing, send me a private message here asking to become part of the testing team.

Few words about the v1.3.1 well, most problematic areas now are that: Soldiers have no shadows. Terrain bridges (and other special objects) are all floating in air. Napalm bombs aren't detonating. Few vehicles cannot be boarded like M113/ACAV, you cant get in as driver but can for gunner, just don't ask my what causes it, I tried to fix it one evening and got nowhere. Vehicle pilot proxys are again wrongly aligned and some may not be proper proxys at all. Huge config mess for Update Base Class errors in RPT (I just couldn't be bothered to fix these yet). Artillery is not working, much like in ArmA version too. Mines aren't even included yet.

Nice things about this version is that all the stuff is in-game, don't know if anything is missing at this point besides the mines (which were already non-working in ArmA heh). No errors in-game when launching VTE, that goes without saying but so many idiots release such broken shit to the community that its worth to mention. All terrains have high res 12800 x 12800 satellite texture true to the OFP texturing (excluding of course the small terrains like RIJ, Intro and Tet68).

Overall it is a good start to kickoff testing. I'm sure going to spend some time on our MP server with this version making few missions etc. What better way to get motivated for further developing than to get frustrated in MP with error x and issue y heh :)

Don't hesitate to join the beta team if you are at all interested of testing.

PMC since 1984

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2010-09-11 13:51:21

Now the next upgrade for v1.3.1 is ready, this is v1.3.3 which is the latest VTE version.

Changelog:

Code: Select all

--- v1.3.3 fixes
- m60 bis sound replaced with old original vte sound.
- m16 bis sound replaced with old original vte sound.
- m1abrams mg mount rvmat files missing, fixed.
- various artillery vehicles turrets broken, fixed.
- smokeshells not working, fixed.
- split vte_sounds.pbo into vte_sounds_vehicles.pbo
- added mission editor groups.
- shell_casings.sqf script error on ov10's, fixed.
- m134 added tracers.
- m61 vulcan added tracers.
- m60 doorgun added tracers.
- m197 added tracers.
- m61 vulcan has insane fire rate, fixed.
- m75 40mm grenade launcher has insane fire rate, fixed.
- m129 40mm grenade launcher has insane fire rate, fixed.
- s56 mapsize way way too small, fixed.
- s56 stringtable wrong, mg is not written as mg, fixed.
- m2 machine gun sound missing, fixed (I think?).
- mc-130 stringtable error, fixed.
- many update base class rpt errors, fixed.
- us 5t truck mess fixed.
- vte_acofficern missing class, fixed.
- sa2 rocket stringtable entries missing, fixed.
- cannot load sound 'ca\water\data\sound\rhib_1.wss', fixed.
- cannot load sound 'ca\water\data\sound\water_v5.wss', fixed.
- cannot load sound 'ca\air\data\sound\camel1.wss', fixed.
- invalid crew civilian in vte_60mortarnva, fixed.
- error: no entry 'bin\config.bin.MissileCrater', fixed.
- basic items, map, compass etc missing on most units, fixed.
- artillery models were referencing wrong pbo, fixed.
There are couple of other fixes, but they are in one of those large pbo's so I decided to leave them out for now as they were nothing major.

Testing team members will receive PM about the downloads soon.

PMC since 1984

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2010-09-14 07:00:10

Preparing v1.3.4 already here but its becoming bit difficult to edit as I want to avoid doing edits across the big pbo files which would increase the upgrade size considerably.

I have now fixed lot of the missing rvmat paths and textures, strange thing is that those wont show up in RPT unless you use the specific unit, never seen that happen before.

Tracers were added to all vehicle machine guns, also magazine reload time was fixed in those. Lot of missing sounds are added back. Overall quite nice fixes.

I'll sort of feel handicapped as I need to edit one hand tied behind my back as I try to keep out of the big pbos, so I'm sort of leaning towards just going and edit what I need and then the download size is what it is... if some testers feel like its too much, then there is nothing for me to do than to thank for their contribution and hope they enjoy the public release when its out.

One possible solution though is to give testers the full upgrade download (NOT full mod, just upgraded pbos) and "changed files only" download. This changed files only would be done with extractpbo and makepbo using dos batch files to run them. I'm sure some of our testers aren't interested of running such high-tech cmd tools... but then they would have to download the larger upgrade.

We'll see how it turns out. I don't even know how large the next upgrade will be, so we just have to wait.

PMC since 1984

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2010-09-16 13:04:16

Good news: v1.3.4 upgrade is now ready.

Bad news: its 587mb archive :shock:

Here is the changelog:

Code: Select all

--- v1.3.4 fixes
- kittyhawk build script had debug msg on and small delay, fixed.
- uh1 ara when piloted by ai chases its own tail, fixed.
- nva rto and mg soldier faces were ghostly white, fixed.
- no speaker given errors in rpt, fixed.
- rpg2 does too much damage, tweaked.
- ak47 uses 7.62x54mm ammunition, changed to 7.62x39mm.
- m3a1 fire rate is too fast, tweaked.
- m60 fire rate is a bit too fast, fixed to arma final release value.
- smg's need less recoil, fixed.
- bulldozer geometry mass was not very good, fixed.
- tweaked bulldozer textures.
- tweaked btr50 textures.
- btr50 flips when turning (geometry mass missing?), fixed.
- added zsu-37 anti aircraft gun.
- added su-76 self propelled gun.
- added artillery groups (make them NONE so they wont stack up).
- added m102 artillery (config only, m101 as placeholder).
- vte_ch53: unknown animation source errors, fixed.
- added some paint to m114 tyres.
- ch53 mg gunner views are too low, fixed.
- uh1 huey d/h pilot could not see out of cockpit, fixed.
- uh1 huey dustoff pilot could not see out of cockpit, fixed.
- uh1 huey ara pilot could not see out of cockpit, fixed.
- uh1 huey gunship pilot could not see out of cockpit, fixed.
- m134 minigun has no sound, fixed.
- renamed uh1 m134 to m134.
- removed ah1 m134 and use m134 instead.
- ch46 back rotor spinned too fast, fixed.
- ch47 back rotor spinned too fast, fixed.
- ach47a back rotor spinned too fast, fixed.
- renamed ah1 gl m129 to m129.
- renamed uh1 gl m75 to m75
- uh1 huey pilot view had no rear of helicopter, fixed.
- tweaked mounted m60 fire rates.
- mounted m60 has bis m240 sound, changed to vte m60 sound.
- m73a has no reload timeout between magazines, fixed.
- pkt has no reload timeout between magazines, fixed.
- m2 has no reload timeout between magazines, fixed.
- m197 has no reload timeout between magazines, fixed.
- t55 no inside driving sound, fixed (I hope).
- pt76 no inside driving sound, fixed (I hope).
- added tracers to m2 machine gun.
- 105mm_m68 cannon sound missing, fixed.
- 90mm_m41 cannon sound missing, fixed.
- m73a machine gun sound missing, fixed.
- 152mm_m81e1 cannon sound missing, fixed.
- 76mm_d56t_gun cannon sound missing, fixed.
- 762mm_pkt machine gun sound missing, fixed.
- 100mm_d10t2g_gun cannon sound missing, fixed.
- VTE_m168 cannon sound missing, fixed.
- m119_gun cannon sound missing, fixed.
- d30_gun cannon sound missing, fixed.
- added tracers to dshkm machine gun.
- added tracers to m73a machine gun.
- bronco had ca\ reference in ah1z_engines_destruct.rvmat, fixed.
- mohawk had ca\ reference in a10_01_destruct.rvmat, fixed.
- removed duplicate defines from vte_air_cfg.
- removed duplicate defines from vte_bis_obj_cfg.
- removed duplicate defines from vte_chara_cfg.
- removed duplicate defines from vte_land_cfg.
- removed duplicate defines from vte_objects_cfg.
- removed duplicate defines from vte_ordnance_cfg.
- removed duplicate defines from vte_running_speeds_cfg.
- removed duplicate defines from vte_sea_cfg.
- removed duplicate defines from vte_weapons_cfg.
- tweaked dispersion values.
- added specific destruct rvmat for ch34.
- added specific destruct rvmat for ch34_sog.
- added specific destruct rvmat for ch53.
- added specific destruct rvmat for huey.
- added specific destruct rvmat for uh1dustoff.
- added specific destruct rvmat for uh1gs.
- added specific destruct rvmat for uh1guns.
- added specific destruct rvmat for ch47.
- added specific destruct rvmat for ach47.
- added specific destruct rvmat for ch46.
- added specific destruct rvmat for s56.
- added specific destruct rvmat for a4.
- added specific destruct rvmat for b52.
- added specific destruct rvmat for b57.
- added specific destruct rvmat for birddog.
- added specific destruct rvmat for mig19.
- added specific destruct rvmat for a1h.
- added specific destruct rvmat for c130.
- added specific destruct rvmat for f4_grey.
- added specific destruct rvmat for f4_tan.
- added specific destruct rvmat for a6_napalm.
- added specific destruct rvmat for f105.
- added specific destruct rvmat for mig17_camo.
- added specific destruct rvmat for mig17.
- added specific destruct rvmat for f5_camo.
- added specific destruct rvmat for f5_grey.
- added specific destruct rvmat for ov1 mohawks.
- added specific destruct rvmat for ov10 bronco.
- added wound textures for res_pilot_body_wound1.rvmat
- added wound textures for res_pilot_body_wound2.rvmat
- res_pilot_molle_webbings.rvmat was missing one texture, fixed.
- added missing us_hhl_wound1.rvmat.
- added missing us_hhl_wound2.rvmat.
- added missing us_pilot_hhl.rvmat.
- added missing cfgfaces textures, lots of them.
- added missing np_soldier_sniper_body.rvmat.
- added missing np_soldier_sniper_body_hhl.rvmat.
- replaced ca\ character map icons with pmc\vte_chara ones.
- replaced ca\ character pictures with pmc\vte_chara ones.
- added specific destruct rvmat for pbr.
- added specific destruct rvmat for lssc.
- added specific destruct rvmat for sebsampan.
- added specific destruct rvmat for sampanbig.
- added specific destruct rvmat for kittyhawk.
- reworked kittyhawk config a bit.
- added unique artillery and mortar map icons and group pictures.
- svt40 has no sound, fixed.
- ex41 recoil missing, fixed.
- vc_rifleman low res lod's are missing textures, fixed.
I have to think some sort of strategy what to do with this upgrade as its so large download. Its sort of impossible to do changed files only as there is no "easy tools" to do it and honestly with the changelog you see above... I've already lost track of which files are edited or not. Yes sure you could try to hunt them down by file dates... but I'm sure something would go wrong with that attempt.

I'll decide what to do with this now. I am personally willing to upload this upgrade, if you tester guys say that hey no problem bring it on... but if not, then I'll have to figure out something.

PMC since 1984

Return to “Vietnam: The Experience (ArmA 2)”