Bigger terraingrid

WrpTool island creator utility

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

Recon
Recruit

Bigger terraingrid

Post by Recon » 2005-09-24 22:15:13

In addition to a smaller terraingrid I'm trying to create a bigger terraingrid like 100x100 instead of the standard 50 x50.

The only problem is that the objects placed in WRPtool are misplaced ingame because of the changed gridsize. Does anyone have an idea how to change that ( I assume it's config wise). I allready incorporated the lines:

-setterraingrid
-landgrid

Recon
Recruit

Re: Bigger terraingrid

Post by Recon » 2005-09-26 19:23:18

Nobody? I know Midship did it with his Typedemo island (although he made smaller instead of bigger) but i cant figure out how.

Snake_Man

Post by Snake_Man » 2005-09-28 06:18:35

Can you try the exactly same method as typedemo island, but just larger scale?

ebud
VTE Dev

Post by ebud » 2005-09-29 03:33:19

I think what he needs is to know if there is a way to keep the objects placement after the terrain grid is changed.

Recon
Recruit

Post by Recon » 2005-09-29 09:30:47

I think what he needs is to know if there is a way to keep the objects placement after the terrain grid is changed.
Yeah, that's exactly what I need to know. I can't figure out how Midship did it.

ebud
VTE Dev

Post by ebud » 2006-04-21 14:40:59

I was aking Snakeman if he knew how to do this, but I figured the typedemo island seemed to be a good starting point to look at.

I looked at that typedemo island to see the config and how he set up an island with 1 meter cells. But what I want is a normal/large size island, but with 100-200 meter grid cells. So I tried to reverse his process.

I made a test pbo with Malden as the wrpfile, renamed it to typedemo.wrp and put it into the typedemo pbo. I used the typedemo config bit started changing the values for grid/terrain size. In the config I changed the terrain grid/size to 100m.

Opened it up in game and the island was 2x as big, but all the objects were clumped into the lower left corner.

Ok, I think I know what to do to test this.

Ok, start over.

I made a 256 island from a Grenada Dem file and did a random placement of vegetation on the island shape so I could know where things "should" be later on in game.

I scaled the dem file down 50%, then made a new 128 island from it. Same island, just smaller. Both exported fine from Wilbur.

OK, now I imported all the vegetation from the 256 island into the 128 island by using the import wrp cells function. OK, most is off the edge, but it might still be where it needs to be in the file somewhere. Save it and load it in-game.

Now, based on the test I did I thought maybe this would work. It still might if I tell wrptool what cell to start importing the objects to.

Ok, got it in-game, but the objects are not where I thought they would be.

Ok, next test will be more "scientific". Maybe if I have a single object at the 0,0 point and make sure when I reimport the objects they begin at the 0,0 so at least if I see that one object is at that point on both maps they "should" be placed correctly.

I didn't really explain this well, but maybe someone can see the logic in there somewhere.

At least making a terrain with smaller grid sizes would be an easy thing to do.
Last edited by ebud on 1970-01-01 00:00:00, edited 1 time in total.