Binarizing islands

WrpTool island creator utility

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

ebud
VTE Dev

Binarizing islands

Post by ebud » 2005-09-20 14:23:51

Hi, I've made a ton of islands over the last few years, but I've never once been able to binarize them. I always get an error somewhere before binarize finishes. Every time. The islands always seem to work fine, no config errors, no model errors when those are binarized.

A few things.

All islands are made in wrptool and use all custom objects that are usually in their own pbo outside the island pbo.

All custom textures. No bis ones.

Now if I get no errors running the islands, no errors with the models, etc. Why would binarize crash?

I always have all models in the needed folders, all textures, everything is available to binarize, so that shouldn't be an issue.

If this was a one time thing I might be able to figure out why it didn't work, but every single time?

Snake, if you read this, have you ever in your VTE editing tried to binarize Ilo? I've never been able to.

Snake_Man

Re: Binarizing islands

Post by Snake_Man » 2005-09-21 19:28:02

There are two versions of binarize, you need to use the old one dated October 11th, 2002. The other one which does NOT work is October 14th, 2002. I call them Old and New. I use the Old to binarize islands and New to binarize models.

But yes, so far for example my PMC Euro 25km island will not binarize, it crashes. It uses BIS and AGS stuff. I have no idea which model causes the crash.

I posted this on the WrpTool beta forum long time ago:
After tracking down my binarize crash all night long (well almost), I finally found the cause of the crash.

The wrp in question was my NAM island using seb NAM Pack objects and textures, the roads there were made by the cesta dirt road by BIS and sebtrailpath by seb.

The cause of the binarize crash was because one sebtrailpath trail-road contained one cesta object by accident!

So the lesson is, do not mix different road objects together in one road, at least cesta + sebtrailpath.
I have no idea if that helps. Also I have not bothered binarizing islands lately, I have no fact based information whats the difference in OFP when using OPRW or 4WVR wrp files.
have you ever in your VTE editing tried to binarize Ilo?
I just tested it, binarize crashed but it produced 621kb wrp file, I believe it should work ok. The Ilo version sent to me had one texture missing but other than that I have done no edits to it. Ie its the same as in VTE release version.

I would very much like to find an answer for this mysterious binarize with wrp files problem. Lets keep this topic alive with new information as we get it. :)

ebud
VTE Dev

Post by ebud » 2005-09-22 04:13:39

thanks for the info. I was always wondering exactly what happens when they are binarized other than shrinking the file size.

Lol, you'd think if anyone knew outside of BIS it would be you guys :)

Why in the world would that info not be explained with Visitor. Or is it?

Snake_Man

Post by Snake_Man » 2005-09-22 06:19:22

I was always wondering exactly what happens when they are binarized other than shrinking the file size.
I need to dig through the many posts of WrpTool dev and beta area, I believe it was discussed somewhat in there. I dont know anything what it does, except to speculate that it sort of removes the duplicate entries of same objects used and mirrors/links (heh dunno how to call it) the one entry of this object only.
Why in the world would that info not be explained with Visitor. Or is it?
Heh is anything explained with visitor? (besides the kegetys tutorial) :)

Okay I did some more testing today on my AGS + Baracken addon using 25km island. I found out that the BIS roads cause crash but binarize produces wrp file. AGS industrial pack causes full crash. But this is just bit of background info, for example I have not tracked down any VTE island yet etc.

h.m.

Post by h.m. » 2005-11-04 20:04:03

i have a similar problem: a wrptool-made island, no BIS or 3rd party stuff used, 100% my own ground texture and models.
but: binarize (old & new version) doesn't binarize the island. it works fine with all other stuff, but not with islands. .wrp is not in the exclude.txt btw.

binarize returns no error message exept the line string 0 not registered which also occurs when i binarize addons: Image
(the german stuff at the end reads "path overwrite yes/no/all?)
binarize just copies the island into the opt dir and leaves the island in 4WVR format.
Last edited by h.m. on 1970-01-01 00:00:00, edited 1 time in total.
im:uc modeller/texturer/scripter/animator/etc. ...and as of now: island maker ;)

BoborSK

Post by BoborSK » 2006-01-22 19:04:39

I have same bug. I wanted to modify Nogova a bit, but when I was binarizing it, it showed error and copied island into Opt dir. Maybe Im using bad version of binarize, can someone give me a link for that "old" binarize? :'(
Last edited by BoborSK on 1970-01-01 00:00:00, edited 1 time in total.

vektorboson
Recruit

Post by vektorboson » 2006-01-24 09:45:10

Could you please show your exclude.txt ?
Just make sure, there is ".wrp" in one line.

BoborSK

Post by BoborSK » 2006-01-24 14:26:30

.p3d
.paa
.pac
.bak
.backup

Hm, no .wrp ...
what it means? :)

vektorboson
Recruit

Post by vektorboson » 2006-01-27 15:31:38

.p3d
.paa
.pac
.bak
.backup

Hm, no .wrp ...
what it means? :)
Add .wrp to it ;-)

BoborSK

Post by BoborSK » 2006-01-27 15:47:19

Ok, I did it but it still shows error ("Send e-mail to Microsoft") and the .wrp isnt binarized :(
I should try to download the other version of binarize, can u put a link here plz?
Last edited by BoborSK on 1970-01-01 00:00:00, edited 1 time in total.

Polska

Post by Polska » 2006-03-13 20:06:42

I have also binarize, but I I have still no solution, I come not clearly with binarize. can you me show, how does one adjust? thanks you! bye :)

Snake_Man

Post by Snake_Man » 2006-04-07 05:53:50

I did some testing on my PMC Rattler desert island using O textures / objects and also Agent Smith industrial and harbor stuff.
bases
bushes
fences
rocks
ruins
trees
= OK

bushes
roads
rocks
ruins
trees
= crashes but produces wrp

bushes
houses
rocks
ruins
trees
= full crash

AGS
bases
bushes
fences
rocks
ruins
trees
= full crash

Conclusion: AGS Industrial Pack 3WX edition (AGS_inds) causes full crash. BIS roads causes crash, yet it produces the wrp file.
I assume my point was to track down the addon which causes the crash, or to at least narrow down the addons which do NOT cause the crash. Those titles like houses, rocks etc mean the basic WrpTool objects.xml setup for categories. I selected all objects in those titles/categories and deleted rest, then tried to binarize. Those are the results.

I have no idea why BIS roads cause partial crash (producing the .wrp file). Not sure if AGS would enlighten us about his objects.
Last edited by Snake_Man on 1970-01-01 00:00:00, edited 1 time in total.