WrpTool island creator utility

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

Gnat
1st Lt

ARAS 100km "Maps" (ie Islands)

Post by Gnat » 2005-05-29 04:49:37

Armed Assault press release.
Map covering over 100 sq. km, in extreme detail
I think we all assume that this is 100km x 100km ......... so is the WrpTool team ready to jump on this "upgrade" for the ARAS release at the end of the year ? :)

shinRaiden
Captain

Re: ARAS 100km "Maps" (ie Islands)

Post by shinRaiden » 2005-05-29 05:16:44

There's plenty of debate whether they meant 10km * 10km, or 100km * 100km. Remember, the rest of the world thinks that 10km * 10km maps are monsterous, as even BF2 only goes up to 4km * 4km tops, and Joint Ops uses a stupid tiling method for artificially creating terrain expanses, and requires you to set everything other than elevations and textures in your mission. Soldner also crapped out as well due to it's poor implementations of a number of bright ideas. The terrain in Soldner is all proceedurally created, with dynamic object tiling and vegetation placement.

If ARAS implements only a fraction of the map changes requested and rumored to be promised it's going to be night and day different than 'legacy' WRP development. Heck, we're not even talking the same galaxy, let alone planet of systems comparison. What has been said is that "terrain streaming" and "larger terrains" will be supported. But I imagine that the entire approach to map design and development will radically change with the whole new concepts and approaches to world development on the new platform. VBS development clearly has some influences on aspects of ARAS, but there's a lot more than what we still know yet. Judging by the pictures we've seen, BIS has evidently figured out how to deal with rediculously large counts of objects, unless they've taken a different aproach. There's a whole lot of objects (rocks, trees, bushes, etc) visible there. In VBS, there are some buffer limit changes to better accomodate resource and terrain texture intensive maps, but that's not nearly enough to compensate for what I'm seeing in the ARAS pics posted on the game news sites.

Among other things, I'm hoping that BIS will implement rotated textures, multi- and partial- cell-spanning textures, dynamic deformable terrain, and spline-based roads with conform-to-terrain camber compensation and correction. That would open up a lot of options in both rapid and high-detail world development.

Snake_Man

Re: ARAS 100km "Maps" (ie Islands)

Post by Snake_Man » 2005-05-29 09:14:29

Map covering over 100 sq. km

This comment was the same as we got with resistance expansion when Nogova was being released.

Trust me, its basic 12.8km x 12.8km island as all the other default sized BIS islands. Nothing new there, nothing to see, move along... move along...