import/export functionality wrpedit

WrpTool island creator utility

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

tsstk

import/export functionality wrpedit

Post by tsstk » 2004-10-01 09:57:14

I have developed some algorithms for the dynamical generation of landscapes similiar to wilbur, however I would like to enhance this software with additional features.

My problem is that I can only import height information in the wilbur format into wrpedit and no further information as for example ground types, textures. I guess you know how difficult and time consuming it is to match the right ground textures properly for larger maps.

I am looking for a possibility to define texture areas (ice, desert, plains etc. acc. to the texture abbreviations) automatically by landscape generation algorithims outside of wrp to import them directly.

Is there anyone who is involved in the development of wrpedit an and would like to contact me for the development of an interface (for example XML)?

Thanks, Timm.

Snake_Man

Re: import/export functionality wrpedit

Post by Snake_Man » 2004-10-01 12:14:50

OFPInternals has disappeared long time ago along with their web page. Sorry but you cant get any support for WrpEdit in here, or anywhere for that matters.

shinRaiden
Captain

Post by shinRaiden » 2004-10-01 15:52:56

I presume you're referring to 'this' WRPtool instead of the other WRP editing program.

There was a very early development tool that would automate texture placement from a bitmap similar in fashion to elevations from a heightmap bitmap.

Snake_man and Dschulle would be the people to contact, and I know they're especially interested in material to enhance terrain modeling.

Thanks for the info.

tsstk

Post by tsstk » 2004-10-01 17:29:41

Oops, that was confusing. Yes, I do mean wrptool and not wrpedit.

wrptool has great features and is very easy to use. If it is possible to export data in the wrp format it would be very easy to create a common XML format to export the same data, change the data externally with other software and import the changed XML data back into wrp edit. Other formats as CSV or SPHP (serialized PHP) would also be possible.

I do not know much about the OFP technologies, file types, modding and texturing. I am just playing the game for some "thousand" hours and I would like to play much more maps.

The automatic generation of landscape by means of randomized, fractal algorithms produces landscapes similiar to wilbur, however this way you produce islands and not only wilbur landmass. By means of additional filters for certain regions you could produce rough areas or plain areas, which correspond directly to the later texture: granit/rocks or sand. Taking the height of areas and the heading (n/w/s/e) into calculation you can change the growth of plants.

The development of such a landscape generation modeller is a question of software development and testing. Testing would be a question of interested fellows of a forum like this one.
If we find a proper file format for im- and export I'll restart the development of that tool and translate all comments into English.

Comments?

Snake_Man

Post by Snake_Man » 2004-10-01 22:27:32

Oops, that was confusing. Yes, I do mean wrptool and not wrpedit.
Oh okay...
The automatic generation of landscape by means of randomized, fractal algorithms produces landscapes similiar to wilbur
Personally I am very interested on automated terrain generation and think that this is one issue which we miss from WrpTool.
The development of such a landscape generation modeller is a question of software development and testing. Testing would be a question of interested fellows of a forum like this one.
Could you make some Wilbur text-import file compatible "OFP terrain" ie island, terrain generator utility?

Such util would be great to have to build quick island terrains, if we could get the util to really make realistic looking terrains.

If you go along with it, please add support for power of two terrains. Like 32x32, 64x64 up to the 1024x1024 for the crazy shinRaiden types out there :)

shinRaiden
Captain

Post by shinRaiden » 2004-10-01 23:54:26

Er, that's 2048x2048 to make 102km, but yeah, what he said. :D

rvirding
Recruit

Post by rvirding » 2004-10-12 13:43:42

Where can I get hold of the spec of the wrp file format? I am also interested in automatically generating terrain. In my case, however, I would like to use GIS data to generate real maps.