terrain problems

WrpTool island creator utility

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

vil

terrain problems

Post by vil » 2004-02-07 16:50:53

I am working on a 25km-island with WRP-Tool. For the beginning, I made a large hillside with a lenght of some kilometers, side-valleys, passes etc.
Now I have some annoying problems with the terrain - that means, actually I am not sure if it is really a problem. But the terrain gets very rough: If you play the game, there are small(smaller than 50 on 50 metres) ups and downs and stupid edges everywhere. If you look at the elevation lines in the map of the mission editor and zoom in very close, it is just a mess. Blur effect in WRP-Tool does not help much. I had to adjust the elevation points of each cell by hand, but even then, I was not really satisfied.

I looked at some other self-made-islands and found that they all - even the official nogova-island - have the same problem, but not all in the same scale. So I chanched the "terrain detail" in the Option-menu of the game and was very disturbed that the terrain looks better (=smoother) if you set the details low.

Can anyone tell my if I have to live with this? Or how I could smoothen the terrain in WRP-tool without bluring down all the hills?

Another question: In WPR-Tool, you can make a hillside from nort to south, from west to east and from northwest to southeast. But if you make an eleveation from southwest to northeast, the elevation-lines are making ugly edges. Why?

Dschulle
Captain

Re: terrain problems

Post by Dschulle » 2004-02-07 18:42:54

Can anyone tell my if I have to live with this? Or how I could smoothen the terrain in WRP-tool without bluring down all the hills?
OFP uses a intern terrain smothing algorithm. Normally the grid is interpolated to 12.5m. You can change this (as you mentioned) with terrain details or by using the script command SetTerrainGrid. If you set it to 50 it should behave as designed in wrptool, but then you might encounter some "unnatural" edges.
Another question: In WPR-Tool, you can make a hillside from nort to south, from west to east and from northwest to southeast. But if you make an eleveation from southwest to northeast, the elevation-lines are making ugly edges. Why?
This happens, because OFP uses triangles for the terrain grid. See here. So it's not possible to do a correct SW-NE edge.
Last edited by Dschulle on 1970-01-01 00:00:00, edited 1 time in total.

MidShip
1st Lt

Post by MidShip » 2004-02-07 19:22:03

In addition, maybe experimenting with the class Subdivision in the world config could help.

GREG
Recruit

Post by GREG » 2004-02-08 00:04:38

it could be a goo update for wrp-tool to divide the squars in 4 instead of 2. that way u dont have ugly edges. And for ur first problem, do it by hand and dont make ur hills to high.
UR FATHER MUST B A TERRORIST CAUSE U AR THA BOMB

vil

Post by vil » 2004-02-09 11:23:45

Thank you for your answers. I did not now the "SetTerrainGrid"-Command and I always wondered why the elevation-lines in the game-map don't look like in WRPTool. Now there are exactly the same, but there are, as you mentioned, the edged. Think I have to work it all over...

shinRaiden
Captain

Post by shinRaiden » 2004-02-09 17:51:55

I've seen this a bunch when importing data from wilbur, and it is more pronounced with maps larger than the standard 12.8km. The problem here is that your eye is artificially blurring the significant node value differences between adjacent pixels. You may think that it is a smooth blend = nice slope, but really the data may be a 20m cliff.

This is very common with creating valleys and canyons. Unfortunately, it is very easy to lose your Wilbur data by saving in an unusable format, so pay close attention to that section in the manual. A combination of the blur tool and the interactive elevation tool can help, although tedious, to resolve the remaining issues in WRPtool.