Addons for island........

WrpTool island creator utility

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

monoloth
Recruit

Addons for island........

Post by monoloth » 2003-12-01 02:44:18

Ok, I am just about doine with my madness, have the raods and all that foofieness finishedm just waiting on forest fix. HOWEVER...............I have added some 3rd party objects to the island(bridges, AGS objects, 6 foot pot plants) and i was wondering how to go about the final crushing of the island. Do I add the 3rd party addon pbo files to the final product when I binarize it, or does everyone just have to have those certain addons in order to load the island? I have never undertaken such a large project for the squad, so I am just learning all this binarize and ODOL stuff, so please be patient.

Also, is it possible to have a flagpole with a flag flying over a castle at all times on the island? This is a request and I am just checking into it. Thanks again.

Snake_Man

Re: Addons for island........

Post by Snake_Man » 2003-12-01 06:38:33

Do I add the 3rd party addon pbo files to the final product when I binarize it, or does everyone just have to have those certain addons in order to load the island?
I have seen some people to add Agent Smith's buildings into the island pbo, while this might save some addon-finding trouble, it increases the download size for everyone and if someone has AGS stuff already installed, then he has them duped with the island.

I would recommend not including anything, users need to have the additional stuff installed.

More importantly I would recommend NOT using any of those AGS etc buildings. Ask yourself, is the island really any better with them included or not... But hey, thats just me talking, seems like every island nowadays comes with AGS/Baracken etc addon requirement.

shinRaiden
Captain

Post by shinRaiden » 2003-12-01 14:26:39

As for the flag, you may be able to do something in the config.cpp to set the flag. Dunno exactly how tho.

While AGS objects look cool, I really have not yet seen a map where they have been done justice. Basicly what I have seen is mapmakers try to place the whole pack here and there, and it comes out very ugly/aritficial IMHO.

When designing for using the AGS objects, I think you should try to take one here and there, especially the hangers, and blend them in with the other buildings. I think BAS borrowed them and did that.

Baracken is a great addon, however I have rarely seen it done well outside of jungle environments.

But by all means, link to the pbo's, don't merge them. This way, the download is smaller, and if there are any updates, they can easily be rolled in.

monoloth
Recruit

Post by monoloth » 2003-12-01 17:08:17

i tend to agree with you both on the AGS buildings. I havent used any of the Baraken objects to date on the island, but the AGS stuff makes up a nuke plant, and the taller buildings are incorporated into a town to add a "white collar" area.

As for the flag pole.is it an object that i can find in the DATA files? I seem to be missing several things that I wanted when i d-pbo-d everything, things like yield signs, warning signs, even the park benches. I think I have un-pbo-d everything I have.

BTW: The AGS port blocks seem to have a small probrelm when it comes to placing objects on them. I have tried repeatedl;y to place the large cranes flush on their top surface, but it just wont go anywhjere, and no it isnt locked. Same thing with the shipping crates. Is that a problem with the platforms not having a recongnizeable surface? Also, u cant drive up the ones with ramps........