Getting ready for final alpha release

VTE - The most detailed and comprehensive Vietnam modification for ArmA

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief
Gaming Interests: ArmA, ArmA 2, Falcon 4.0 and OFP.
Editing Interests: All, I (try) to edit everything.

Getting ready for final alpha release

Post by Snake Man » 2009-01-10 11:52:48

Its time to put together the final alpha release.

I've started to binarize the addons, after that I'll be doing some last minute testing for them just in case... although the testing teams have been chewing the RC2 + Hotfix 1 now for weeks and nobody has reported anything out of order (besides the normal bugs list).

Regarding bugs, some aren't fixed like I believe the promised S56 helicopters invisible windshield is still the same, I didn't fix (for whatever reason) it for this release. Other than that, the provided bugs list has some bugs fixed and some left there.

It is still not too late to have in some feedback, its not packaged yet for upload, I'm still testing... so if someone has some feedback they wanted in but have been reluctant to post... do it now of remain silent after the final alpha release. :)

Plan; well I binarize it now, then testing during tonight... perhaps tomorrow or day after depending how busy/lazy I am, I'll start the 3-4 day upload process. That's the plan... which can dramatically change in any minute :o

This topic is a chance for everyone to speak before VTE final alpha is released...
PMC Tactical Forum New User Registration please read new info here.

PMC since 1984

Editing knowledge, visit PMC Editing Wiki
The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage
View our videos in PMC Youtube channel

PMC Tactical forum Advanced Search is power.

"ALPHA BLACK TO PAPA BEAR. ALL RUSSIANS ARE TOAST. OVER."

banana
2nd Lt

Re: Getting ready for final alpha release

Post by banana » 2009-01-10 17:44:29

The last words for the Alpha? Looking forward to the Beta.
The Alpha is really a huge step in process in the VTE History and wipes the "Just Retextured Stuff" feeling finally out.

The-Architect
1st Lt

Post by The-Architect » 2009-01-11 18:03:01

Can you post a change log so we can check what we've found against what you've fixed?

Also, can you make all SF guys medic able?

bigstone
1st Lt

Post by bigstone » 2009-01-12 11:41:55

Ok will we have different looking VC? If not will we finally be able to shoot NVA troops with pith helmets? :D

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2009-01-12 12:38:18

Update to the process... its been slow, yes I binarized the sucker and did one go at my stresstest #2 mission which I updated into the SVN. All looked just fine, but I must say that I only did that one test run. I guess its better than just sit on my hands but indeed its not much activity.

One of our contributors has PM'ed me and we'll see if there is any updates coming in which would be really nice.

I'll post the current changelog to the Release Candidate bug list topic, please review it there and not post bugs here. Lets keep the discussion in order. Direct link for my post: here.

To cut the long story short: final release is post pond about day or two while I wait to hear from one of our guys.

PMC since 1984

The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2009-01-14 18:40:38

I've played few missions now and haven't found any critical bugs so far. Yes of course there is tons of "issues" as expected as its just alpha, but the whole big picture of this 1gb piece of junk is good rather than bad, that's the point.

I can't wait what latest updates we get in, of course its bit dangerous to get a lot of changes in "before we release" as its somewhat nullifies the alpha release candidate testing teams work hehe. But what the hell... they are all good updates ;)

Was also thinking that maybe it would be good idea to put the release rar together with everything included like readmes, proper file names and such when I upload it, then the same testing team would take it into testing for additional 1-2 weeks. If nothing would come up with the latest updates, then it would be easy for me to just release the rar publicly without repacking and re uploading. Of course it would drag along as who knows how active the testing team would be... so I'm sort of thinking it would be a bad idea (we have been waiting long enough). So the choice would be to just get the updates in, package and release.

Days go by and we should get closer and closer to the release. No problems.

PMC since 1984

NeF
Captain

Post by NeF » 2009-01-14 19:01:14

Lieutenant, bomb that tree line back about a hundred yards!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
They train young men to drop fire on people. But their commanders won't allow them to write "Fuck" on their airplanes because it's obscene!

bigstone
1st Lt

Post by bigstone » 2009-01-15 03:06:34

Don't forget the classic "Heart Break Ridge", when Clint Eastwood said, "Lift your chin up...Higher and punched that big guy in the jaw!!! LoL.... :D

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2009-02-01 15:45:26

I have now integrated (to the best of my ability) the new config tweaks into the alpha version, I ran the stresstest #2 mission and it run without errors.

Its taken some time due some config integrating problems, but we are now back on track. I don't want to give estimate time of arrivals here as they can change so easily, all I can say is things are looking good; edits are in and VTE runs without errors. Looking good.

PMC since 1984

The-Architect
1st Lt

Post by The-Architect » 2009-02-02 18:39:05

Sweet.

NeF
Captain

Post by NeF » 2009-02-02 23:32:56

Outstanding.
They train young men to drop fire on people. But their commanders won't allow them to write "Fuck" on their airplanes because it's obscene!

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2009-02-03 10:40:26

There is, of course... one thing to consider... the current build of final Alpha is heavily changed config wise and some models have been edited too (mainly the damage textures though). The build is definitely different from what the testing team used in RC2 + hotfix 1, no question about it.

So, have there been new bugs introduced etc? Who knows.

However at this point I'm lazy son of a bitch enough not to go through another internal testing phase, I'm simply just going to release it when all the files are in. I mean still the most edits are for the config and if it totally fails, we can always issue hotfix for the final alpha which is only few hundreds of kilobytes... as there config is so small.

Anyways, the day to day update is that configs are in, VTE runs and now I'm waiting for some WRP updates to arrive so I can test/implement them. I believe after that VTE is ready for final packing and stresstest #2 run before I'll start to upload it. Don't hold your breath though :)

PMC since 1984

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2009-02-04 17:06:55

Did some config cleaning and then of course had to make sure and test ingame that I didn't make any mistakes in there. Also updated the stresstest #2 mission with the artillery what was missing. Ran it for enough time and all seemed just fine. Committed the changes into the SVN.

I'm trying to figure what editing I could do which would be fool proof that it wouldn't break the "mod", I guess I can develop the 25km prototype terrain some more, that at least wont go breaking the rest of the addons. Anyways, I'm pretty ready for release at this time.

Was thinking that perhaps I should add some 51km x 51km aircombat terrain, HC Para was designing this back in the day and now that we really have huge arsenal of aircrafts, maybe it would be good idea. What is aircombat terrain? Well terrain with minimum of objects where missions are focused (or solely done) for aircrafts. Yeah there would be ground objects, but like said just minimum amount as any 51km terrain with jungle density would grow up around 1,300,000 objects (that is a lot) minimum. This also wouldn't break the existing addons, it would be safe to add while I wait the remaining files to add before release.

No updates for the release date, sorry.

PMC since 1984

The-Architect
1st Lt

Post by The-Architect » 2009-02-07 00:25:41

You know the floating trees problem? You reckon you could go into the models and just stretch the trunks by about 10ft?

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2009-02-07 06:52:17

No, that wouldn't fix it.

PMC since 1984

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2009-02-11 14:45:38

Okay here comes one of "those" posts again :roll:

I'm sort of ashamed that I started this topic already back in January 10th and I've still haven't go the release out. Sorry about that :(

Lately I was hoping to get the release out this week... but its now Wednesday and unless I'll pack and start to upload it right now, I'm not going to make it for my deadline which is Friday.. I'm only going to stay with my computer today and tomorrow, but Friday morning I'm splitting and being without computer & net for at least three days. After that I'll return to normal day to day activity, however I'm not sure how much "long term" time I have for editing before next week from that point, that being in neighborhood of Monday 23rd or so.

So... in a nutshell, the final alpha release has been delayed at minimum... until end of February.

This gives us some more time, perhaps some of you want to do some missions and send them for me to be included in the release, or if anyone is doing any edits (I wish) there is still good time to send them over.

PMC since 1984

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2009-03-19 23:25:55

Heh this topic just haunts me :twisted:

Oh well, at least I'm trying.

In the past few days I have done insane amount of work for VTE, I'll be posting changelog into the never ending development topic, but its safe to say we are like miles away from the release candidate 2 status now. Sometimes these things just happen, when I get into editing mood... things happen :)

I don't even think about stating any release dates, but I'm working on it, day in day out.

Stay tuned.

PMC since 1984

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2009-04-01 07:49:02

Right now we are in good track for the final alpha. I'm in process of negotiating some testing teams once again as we really have moved beyond the point of just releasing the alpha. It has to be tested before release, my stresstest mission only goes so far.

I just posted the latest changelog into the neverending dev diary so check that out.

I haven't got a clue about final alpha release dates, we'll see how the testing will pick up and go from there. In the mean time I'm still editing and fixing stuff.

Sorry for this shit taking so long, but I'll 100% guarantee you that next one will be excellent VTE release.

PMC since 1984

The-Architect
1st Lt

Post by The-Architect » 2009-04-01 21:06:11

Sweet. Glad to hear that you're back on track.

bigstone
1st Lt

Post by bigstone » 2009-04-02 01:16:38

Any new USMC troops and NVA troops with pith helmets? Anyways pm me if you need a beta tester. :D

Foxhound_aus

Post by Foxhound_aus » 2009-04-02 14:22:48

Great work Snake Man. Looking forward to the final release.

GrunT
Recruit
Gaming Interests: ArmA 2 (Armed Assault 2)
Editing Interests: None of the above, I don't edit...

Post by GrunT » 2009-04-08 16:01:31

Very..Very nice :mrgreen:

cant find your paypal donate button... :idea:

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2009-05-07 06:39:46

I started this topic with great enthusiasm at 01-10-09 18:52hrs. Its now been ridiculous four (4) months since the quickie post about final alpha is coming... I apologize for all the Vietnam war fans to be put through this ordeal.

I really lost any sense of reality while editing during this time, VTE developed so much since the first post, however that never was my intention, even though I'm really happy that all these edits and stuff got in.

VTE is far from my view of optimum final alpha today, however I have decided that enough is enough, I will not sink into the bottom of addon making depths as so many others. So therefore...

I'm binarizing the latest build while writing this, after that is just one test trial run on the stresstest mission that there isn't any last minute bugs slipped in, then its time to rar it all up and start to upload it.

The wait is over. VTE final alpha is on its way.

I do hope there is still at least someone out there who believed this release to be real and are now getting to use it. Again I apologize for the ridiculous wait before this day, I'll try not to repeat such delays in the future :(

PMC since 1984

Return to “Vietnam: The Experience (ArmA)”