Last quarter of 2008 with VTE releases

VTE - The most detailed and comprehensive Vietnam modification for ArmA

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief
Gaming Interests: ArmA, ArmA 2, Falcon 4.0 and OFP.
Editing Interests: All, I (try) to edit everything.

Last quarter of 2008 with VTE releases

Post by Snake Man » 2008-10-25 12:41:55

Okay for first read the bad news about my video card.

Now some clarification about where do we stand in VTE wise.

VTE Alpha Release Candidate 2 (RC2) is out on testers, this version is very FPS heavy due to unknown reason/bug.

Last stable release is the RC1, which to my knowledge runs ok, that of course is way outdated compared to RC2. I would hate to release the RC1 to public, but honestly thats our best choice at the moment.

Like I said already: I can't play ArmA. I can't edit in O2 with buldozer. I can't edit missions. And most importantly, I can't test my edits what ever they might be so anything I would release, would be piece of junk with no guarantee of working.

There have been few guys helping me since 06-24-08 release, so I really really would hate to hold up their work/edits just because I cannot compile a release. However honestly I'm so "attached" to VTE that I really don't trust it to anyone else to compile, I just coudn't take the responsibility for it. And me compiling it blindly, uploading 1.1gb for three days only to hear from first tester that "it CTDs!" isn't my idea of time well spend...

If anyone has any good ideas how to proceed with steady releases until I get my ArmA running again, I'm all ears. And if someone out there think they could compile a proper VTE release, feel free to contact me, I'm open for any possibilities (but I have to admit that the situation would have to look *real* good for me to go for this).

I can still naturally edit configs, 3d models without buldozer reference, I can merge textures and such things, so what ever that means for the outcome, dunno, prolly nothing. It pisses me off that I can't run ArmA even to make missions in mission editor.

So to cut this whining short... lets open a discussion what to do with next VTE release, when my hands are tied using ArmA to test. Any ideas? :?
PMC Tactical Forum New User Registration please read new info here.

PMC since 1984

Editing knowledge, visit PMC Editing Wiki
The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage
View our videos in PMC Youtube channel

PMC Tactical forum Advanced Search is power.

"ALPHA BLACK TO PAPA BEAR. ALL RUSSIANS ARE TOAST. OVER."

banana
2nd Lt

Post by banana » 2008-10-25 13:42:41

Hi,
RC3 would have a lot of features. Bugfixes and at last also my Addons which are also useful.
To continue the VTE developement process, the VTE modders like me, could release their things as single pbo's and pack them.
So our work would be into the VTE Mod without having to upload RC2/3/4.
Thus it would not cause very bad bugs and if it does, you can remove that single pbo.

This is an temporary solution until you have a new video card but it does work well

anzacsas
Major

Post by anzacsas » 2008-10-25 17:54:46

Sorry to hear the bad news m8.

But before ya do anything ,on weekends there are quite often computer part swap meets, markets that have alot of older oddball stuff ya can pikup for next to nothing.Ask around a couple of pc shops or have a look in your local paper's for info about town markets etc.
Or your could contact your local council offices to get info on all market events etc.They all need permits so the local governments know about them.

I have a friend who has brought a cupple of pc's back to life using oddball parts bought from markets.

Just a suggestion.

Steve.

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief
Gaming Interests: ArmA, ArmA 2, Falcon 4.0 and OFP.
Editing Interests: All, I (try) to edit everything.

Re: Last quarter of 2008 with VTE releases

Post by Snake Man » 2008-10-28 12:28:02

Guys, good news :)

As planned today I tried the fried video card again and by miracle I cannot explain... it works. VTE is saved. ArmA playing is saved. ArmA editing is saved. I'm saved.

HOOYAH! :lol:
PMC Tactical Forum New User Registration please read new info here.

PMC since 1984

Editing knowledge, visit PMC Editing Wiki
The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage
View our videos in PMC Youtube channel

PMC Tactical forum Advanced Search is power.

"ALPHA BLACK TO PAPA BEAR. ALL RUSSIANS ARE TOAST. OVER."

anzacsas
Major

Re: Last quarter of 2008 with VTE releases

Post by anzacsas » 2008-10-28 12:57:53

Terrific news m8. :D :D

Return to “Vietnam: The Experience (ArmA)”