Trial South East Asian Lighting

VTE - The most detailed and comprehensive Vietnam modification for ArmA

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

anzacsas
Major

Trial South East Asian Lighting

Post by anzacsas » 2008-08-24 02:20:14

Heya dudes,
I have been sitting on some Lighting parameters for a while now mostly for the reason of everytime i looked into having a tinker with Arma lighting settings i usually try to work on something a little more needed.
But,
I noticed Symbiot on the BIS forums had made a post with some edits he had made and also posted some definitions for some of the parmaeters.
So i had a go at applying one of the lighting setups i have and it came up much better than i had thought it would.
A very huge Thank-You goes out to Symbiot .If it had'nt been for this fellow i would never have had any chance at getting this to work.
I am going to forward all my research i make back to him in appreciation of his work.
Any way here is a link to the lighting .pbo file.

http://www.savefile.com/files/1747286

Just drop this in your addons folder or make a mod or whatever ya usually do.

Here's a couple of screenys.

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff24 ... -21-14.jpg

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff24 ... -02-87.jpg

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff24 ... -13-47.jpg

Frantz
Recruit

Post by Frantz » 2008-08-24 03:24:32

:shock:

Amazing, dude !

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief
Gaming Interests: ArmA, ArmA 2, Falcon 4.0 and OFP.
Editing Interests: All, I (try) to edit everything.

Post by Snake Man » 2008-08-24 06:42:08

Okay... I'm viewing those images in a room that has large windows and sun is shining bright outside, so maybe that hampers my eyesight as the images are very dark but; whats the difference on those images to default ArmA? I see nothing special/changed? :?

Is this like a skyfix?
PMC Tactical Forum New User Registration please read new info here.

PMC since 1984

Editing knowledge, visit PMC Editing Wiki
The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage
View our videos in PMC Youtube channel

PMC Tactical forum Advanced Search is power.

"ALPHA BLACK TO PAPA BEAR. ALL RUSSIANS ARE TOAST. OVER."

anzacsas
Major

Post by anzacsas » 2008-08-24 17:44:12

It's not a fix as such .It changes the sunrise ,sunset,early morning lighting , sun glow and also the color of the fog too to match in with the lighting changes..The pic of the Tank's are a better example of the orange /red glow to the sky.The pic of the soldier in amongst the very tall tree's shows the orangish lighting effect of the bark on the tree's.

Download and have a muck around with it around these times.

Yes, it is darker.I spent awhile mucking around with this so i'am gonna leave it for a few days and maybe try some different settings.
This does fix the pink glow to the mornings.Make up your own minds as i havnt used it enough around those times to make my mind up if its solid enough to be coded in.
As i said i am gonna have a mess around with some different values that i have and i'll post the results once i have done something more.
For now ,whack it in and see if there is many/any real disadvantages.

Please remember i just had a crack at it ,So if ya dont like it dont use it,it doesnt really matter.I still have a few values up my sleeve to try ingame.
This lighting is from the Game Battlefield Vietnam,The level "Lang Vei".It is a map thats is set at dusk with a very burnt orange sky backdrop.

I have tested this in a desert island and it looks reall y nice.It may be that its more suited to a desert envirnment,as i said i still havnt made up my mind yet but it is a change for the eye as it stands.

Achange like this may be better kept as seperate addon for it prolly is something one person would like but others wouldnt.

The-Architect
1st Lt

Post by The-Architect » 2008-08-25 09:10:13

anzacas, it sounds like you're losing confidence in your work man. Don't.
I love it.

It looks like the old Flashpoint sky in that tank pic.
I really hate the lighting in ArmA. The sky colour may not be all that bad but it's so different from what I remember Flashpoint was that I just can't get used to it.

A couple of things that I think you should work on if it's possible are the night time lighting, right now unless there's a full moon, you can't see anything and then there's the timings. Firts light and last light last about 10 minutes. If I want a sunrise or sunset mission I have to use a script that periodically resets the time to prolong the lighting effect.

If you could extend the time it takes for the sun to rise/set that would be awsome. About half an hour I reckon.

anzacsas
Major

Post by anzacsas » 2008-08-25 14:03:56

The Achitect ,

Thanx for words of inspiration,After hours of trying things one can become a little "lost" as in "what effect was i after and exactly what have i scarificed to acheive the goal".

I am glad that i posted this(and of course what Symbiot researched)
so that i/we can talk about and these types of modifications and sometimes to "have a crack at" changing some of the more removed aspects of the game that can often provide that little bit extra in a mission/scenario/mod.

I have some early morning values that i am gonna try next that can go along with these hopefully.They are from a different level in the same Game the "burnt orange" lighting figures come from ,but the level they were setup for were a mid/early morning time and are a bit of a favorite of mine.
I'll have another go at it soon and i'll post a screeny and a cfg for ya's to try if all goes well.

And once again ,The Architect, thank you for your words of encouragement .

And yes m8,We can set the sunrise and sunset timeframes to what we want.

If ya want to try it yourself inside the cfg up the top it says something like sunrise =10 or 20 ,this is the time frame it allows for full transition from day to night.
Keep in mind that it always looks nice to see it at dusk it IS a bitch to fight in, so i can see why for gameplay reasons ,that BIS has shortened some of these preiods.But yes,i do agree i do prefer the ability to setupn missions that span the timeframe of this this time of day and last more than 10 minutes :wink:

In the next one i have a go at i'll set the timeframe for snuset and sunrise at the the time and we'll have a play with that for awhile.

8-) Need sunny's for the afternoon sun :)

NeF
Captain

Post by NeF » 2008-09-07 16:05:43

using it right now, it's a nice touch, well done!
They train young men to drop fire on people. But their commanders won't allow them to write "Fuck" on their airplanes because it's obscene!

The-Architect
1st Lt

Re: Trial South East Asian Lighting

Post by The-Architect » 2008-12-27 02:33:02

How is this coming along? Any progress in making the dawn/dusk last longer?

I'm working on a mission set at dawn right now and by the time I walk to the target it's already daylight. It's ruining the whole feel.

I'd love to see you finish this dude.

anzacsas
Major

Post by anzacsas » 2008-12-28 03:35:08

Hi m8,

I havnt touched the lighting since i uploaded the last version.
I have had a fair bit on the last few months so it had to be put off for there were more important things that i had to do at the time.
I actually almost had a tinker with it again the other day but my mothereboaed shat it self.I have almost restored all my bits and pieces so i will be bck into editing very soon.
If want to open it yourself with cpbo or pboview and edit the value that controls the time lenght of that time of day ,i wrote in my first post how to do it.If you are having any problems with it PM me and i'll help ya out.

Merry Christmas and Happy new year everyone.

Steve.

The-Architect
1st Lt

Post by The-Architect » 2008-12-28 15:11:05

My unpbo tool is not working right now. I tell it to unpack but it does nothing. Could you post the link again.

Also, could you classify which sections change what? To me when I last looked, all I could see was a list of numbers.

anzacsas
Major

Post by anzacsas » 2008-12-31 08:22:55

Hiya,

The parameter you need to change should look like this i am pretty sure(i am not on my editing pc)-

sunrise =10 ;

To make the time frame last longer just increase the value to 60 or sumthn.The value ,as far as i can tell represents ingame minutes.e.g

sunrise =10 ; = timeframe of 10 mins to transition.

In regards to the upbo problem,

Let me guess,You are using Kegetys cpbo.....If you are ,you may need to obtain PBOView.You can get it from OFPEC i am pretty sure.A very handy website m8 if dont already know of it.Most websites will have a section for Tools/Utilities just like there sections for Addons etc.

I prefer to use Cpbo but i have noticed just moving the shortcut or exe. it wont run anymore and sometimes not run again untill i do a full re-install of windows.

Steve.

The-Architect
1st Lt

Post by The-Architect » 2008-12-31 11:10:55

Cheers for the .pbo info.

Here is the line for Sunrise.

Code: Select all

sunrise[] = {0,{1,0.7,0.5 },{{0.33,0.375,0.4 },"1+(-4)" },{{0.600000,0.470000,0.250000 },"1.2+(-4)" },{{0.100000,0.090000,0.100000 },"4.4+(-4)" },{{0.171,0.105,0.066 },"4.5+(-4)" },{{1,0.7,0.3 },"6+(-4)" },1 };
See how I got a little confused as to what you were talking about? Where do I start?

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief
Gaming Interests: ArmA, ArmA 2, Falcon 4.0 and OFP.
Editing Interests: All, I (try) to edit everything.

Post by Snake Man » 2008-12-31 12:53:25

This is the exact same data (no values changed) but I intended it a bit better. Not that I know if it should be like this, but to me its much more readable.

Code: Select all

sunrise[] =
{
	{1,0.7,0.5},
	{{0.33,0.375,0.4},"1+(-4)"},
	{{0.6,0.47,0.25},"1.2+(-4)"},
	{{0.1,0.09,0.1},"4.4+(-4)"},
	{{0.171,0.105,0.066},"4.5+(-4)"},
	{{1,0.7,0.3},"6+(-4)"},
};
PMC Tactical Forum New User Registration please read new info here.

PMC since 1984

Editing knowledge, visit PMC Editing Wiki
The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage
View our videos in PMC Youtube channel

PMC Tactical forum Advanced Search is power.

"ALPHA BLACK TO PAPA BEAR. ALL RUSSIANS ARE TOAST. OVER."

anzacsas
Major

Post by anzacsas » 2008-12-31 17:17:13

Hmm...I see where things are going amiss.
It does'nt look like what i remembered....Is that the whole cfg??

I will have a look tomora night ,once i have recovered from my New Years Hangover hahaha....

NeF
Captain

Post by NeF » 2009-01-05 21:01:37

That was a king size hangover xD
They train young men to drop fire on people. But their commanders won't allow them to write "Fuck" on their airplanes because it's obscene!

anzacsas
Major

Post by anzacsas » 2009-01-06 08:00:27

Heya's,

Heres the link for the lighting pbo V2.

http://www.savefile.com/files/1954432

The-Architect ,

Sorry it took me a lil longer than expected.I had to search for it amongst a tonne of stuff i had backed up from my motherboard change.
The only changes i made to this is that i fixed the ground reflections as they were a strange orange color.
And i have extended the dawn and dusk time frames i am pretty sure...I honestly havnt spent alot of time testing it..Though i am running it now and will be for a while .

What i really HAVE to do in the next version is to fix the Mars red sky effect at certain times.In order to do this i am going to have to track the post down of the BIForums that Symbiot made defining certain parameters of the lighting.Unfortunately i am unable to find it in my backed up files.

But for now, this is an update and it has the edits to the sunset time frames etc that i was also keen to check out.
These are the parameters that i have changed.

sunSunset = 30;
endSunset = 30;

So post ya feedback and findings again dudes.Have fun.
:)
Steve.

Edit- Oh yeah and Nef,Did you know that on a modern Battlefield ,with all the Firepower of a modern Superpower there is just as much chance of being hit by Friendly -fire than there is of being hit by enemy fire......See ya on the field mate...lololol
:twisted: :twisted:

Steve.

NeF
Captain

Post by NeF » 2009-01-07 17:47:32

Downloaded :)Thanks a lot!
Ready to be field court martial'd 8-)

Return to “Vietnam: The Experience (ArmA)”