Jungle Sahrani

VTE - The most detailed and comprehensive Vietnam modification for ArmA

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

The-Architect
1st Lt

Jungle Sahrani

Post by The-Architect » 2008-07-01 01:47:21

Ok, I found this addon guys but it needs to be tweaked if we're going to use it.

I gave it a test and found that a lot of the plants are just the same as they were. There are a lot of forest areas that have been replaced with Palms but not really enough to give it the proper feel.

Also, the FPS is a real drag due to the number of objects.

Here's what I propose.

If any of you guys has a talent with island editing I reckon you could turn this into a good island, possibly the best for 'nam based gaming.

You'd need to open it up and delete about 50% of the trees in all of the dense wooded areas and replace a lot of the BIS trees with more tropical ones.

As for the buildings, I would be happy to go through the BIS files and texture them to look more South East Asian. Right now the models are rural enough to look the part after a retexture.

Tell me what you think.
I definatley recommend that the object count be reduced dramatically if possible. Right now it's virtually unplayable.

The-Architect
1st Lt

Post by The-Architect » 2008-07-05 22:45:19

Any feedback on this guys?

I've already started the long process of retexturing buildings so that they have a more vietnamese feel to them. Should I stop?

NeF
Captain

Post by NeF » 2008-07-05 23:49:36

no keep it up m8 :)
They train young men to drop fire on people. But their commanders won't allow them to write "Fuck" on their airplanes because it's obscene!

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief
Gaming Interests: ArmA, ArmA 2, Falcon 4.0 and OFP.
Editing Interests: All, I (try) to edit everything.

Post by Snake Man » 2008-07-06 11:31:45

The-Architect wrote:I've already started the long process of retexturing buildings so that they have a more vietnamese feel to them. Should I stop?
Up to you really. Personally I can say that any jungle <insert_name_here> replicas wont ever get into VTE official release. Having said that, I'm looking forward to test it if you complete it.
PMC Tactical Forum New User Registration please read new info here.

PMC since 1984

Editing knowledge, visit PMC Editing Wiki
The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage
View our videos in PMC Youtube channel

PMC Tactical forum Advanced Search is power.

"ALPHA BLACK TO PAPA BEAR. ALL RUSSIANS ARE TOAST. OVER."

The-Architect
1st Lt

Post by The-Architect » 2008-07-07 09:19:19

It's a shame you say that. The Sahrani replica has by far the best mix of terrain, best feel, best usability. Currently most of the Nam islands don't work properly without causing crashes due to the high view distance bug.

If I manage to complete all the work I'm doing with the building textures the Sahrani Map will, in my opinion, be ideal. However, as I have never opened Bulldozer and the like in my life I cannot complete the task alone.

Somebody with good map edting skills would need to lend a hand with two problems, the config of the building textures and the removal of a few trees to aid performance.

When I have completed the textures I will certainly send them to you as they will be useful even if you don't like the island it's self. The building models themselves fit quite well with the Vietnam theme. There are plenty of old french looking buildings whcih with a lick of paint would be easily transplantable into any Nam map.

I will plug away and let you be the final judge.

Macross580
Recruit

Post by Macross580 » 2008-07-11 23:57:47

The-Architect wrote:It's a shame you say that. The Sahrani replica has by far the best mix of terrain, best feel, best usability. Currently most of the Nam islands don't work properly without causing crashes due to the high view distance bug.
Thats why I always crash after about an hour of play. Hopefully Atari or BI fixes that **** :x

granQ
2nd Lt

Post by granQ » 2008-08-05 00:39:02

personaly i love the jungle saharni map.. not only possible to convert missions like domination easily to VTE, (ups forgot to release that one right?).. but it actually look and feel like i think the orginal sahrani should have done.

It just makes more sense.. love it.

Return to “Vietnam: The Experience (ArmA)”