BAS MH-60 Blackhawks

Campaign using LSR Ranger addons

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

Snake_Man

BAS MH-60 Blackhawks

Post by Snake_Man » 2003-08-11 20:04:24

I tried out the new BAS Blackhawks on my 1.3ghz, gforce 2 gts, 512mb ram machine... every time two blackhawks enter into the screen, my OFP turns into a slideshow.

Could you guys post some playtesting results with different hardware as I'd like to confirm if they are so laggy.

If this is truly the case, I will not add them to the PMC Ranger Path which was my plan all along.

Killswitch

Re: BAS MH-60 Blackhawks

Post by Killswitch » 2003-08-12 13:21:59

Athlon XP 1900+, 512 MB RAM, GF2 32 MB. OFP at 1280x960x16

Not overly laggy/slideshowy with two or more BAS Blackhawks on screen. Not exactly 100 fps either, but...

(Tested with the two SP missions included with the Blackhawks)

In the preferences program, I  have set the textures  to 128x128 everywhere except Special Effects, which is 64x64. Drop-down is 4x (I'm guessing that's the max mipmap level)

Cannot have them all to 4k x 4 k (which I think means: pick the largest texture available, whatever size, for any model/surface) with a stone-age GF2... :-)

Regards
Last edited by Killswitch on 1970-01-01 00:00:00, edited 1 time in total.

Snake_Man

Post by Snake_Man » 2003-08-12 16:34:37

Seems like you cannot have Blackhawk with AI pilot and human cargo/passangers so that human cannot use the fast rope - map click action.

Many if not all PMC Ranger Path campaign missions would be more or less ruined if players themselves selected the landing zones.

There is of course the crazy option to do the helo trip on cutscene and then really start the mission on ground. This would also fix the multiplayer people not onboard helo issue too. Oh well, dunno really if I'm up to changing the missions so radically.

If anyone has ANY information about the fast rope action disabling, please let me know.

Killswitch

Post by Killswitch » 2003-08-12 19:41:23

This disables any of the fastroping actions for helicopter "helo"

Code: Select all

<br>helo animate ["switch2Pickup",0.457]<br>
Looking at the config.cpp, one can see that the condition for showing any of the fast rope actions is that the animationphase of the switch2Pickup animation has a value of less than or equal to 0,456.

Since the switch2pickup animation has other uses and other animation phases have other interpretations, it may be wise to
somehow reset that value to 0 after the players have disembarked. 0 seems to be the default value for that animation.

Also, setting the animationPhase like above while one of the many scripted functions of the mh60 are underway may of course cause strange things to happen or maybe not to happen.  ;D

But after a casual look through the scripts, I believe you could do the above in the init line of the transport helos and safely set it back to zero after the player's group is out.

*EDIT: Just saw the same question at the official forums, and jacobaby, a BAS member, suggested this:

Code: Select all

<br>chopper animate ["switch1FRope",0.2]<br>
Which also would do it. (Set it to 0 when done, too)
Last edited by Killswitch on 1970-01-01 00:00:00, edited 1 time in total.

Snake_Man

Post by Snake_Man » 2003-08-20 15:35:05

Thanks Killswitch, that did the trick.

I upgraded the PMC Ranger POW mission for MH-60L insertion (fast rope) and extraction (normal touchdown), after quick debug test run of the mission I didn't see anything wrong, all worked just fine.

Now I'll be trying to check how we could really throw in the mix of MH-47E's and MH-60's in this campaign.

Any realism advices are welcome of course :)

Snake_Man

Post by Snake_Man » 2003-08-23 22:43:54

Now the new version is up where we got 6 missions with MH-60L Blackhawk fast rope insertion. Seems to work fine here at my computer.

All other units besides Ranger/Delta use now JAM HD weapons.