PMC Ranger Path - beta is released

Campaign using LSR Ranger addons

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

Snake_Man

Re: PMC Ranger Path - beta is released

Post by Snake_Man » 2003-06-23 23:29:43

I have no idea why that happens, can you list your OFP version and addons used, the hardware etc, as much data as possible.

doc

Post by doc » 2003-06-24 16:29:44

thanks. I have the following addons in OPFP 1.91:

BAS_Cargo, BAS_derad, BAS_deraw, BAS_kawa, bas_lbs, bas_lbs185, BAS_MH47E, BAS_MH47E_185, bas_soar, bas_soar185, BAS_weap, c130v1a, c130v1, COC_Mines.

I am running a PIII 600, 32MB RIVA TNT2 VIDEO, 384 RAM, high speed cable.

Oh, and for some reason my "red hammer" campaign doesn't
work after 1.91. I don't know if this info helps, but thanks for trying.

doc

Post by doc » 2003-06-24 16:37:06

I have encountered the same problem with all of the missions where I start in the cargo section of the chinook without a full team of soldiers, eg 7, 8, & 10.

As soon as I start these missions, I notice that my head falls forward into the "dead while sitting position".

If I then eject, I fall or parachute down to the tarmac and lie there dead on the floor. But the mission still continues and i can look around, drop weapons, give orders, etc, but cannot move.

Snake_Man

Post by Snake_Man » 2003-06-24 16:47:56

And this happens on which version of PMC Ranger Path?

You can view the version number from the campaign menu at the "Start" mission.

doc

Post by doc » 2003-06-24 16:53:16

PMC_Ranger_Path_v1.0b.r7, but it was also hapening when I had the original version installed as well.

sorry I forgot, sometimes I recieve the error message: " cannot load mission: missing addon 'bis_weaponpack.' " when starting these missions, but the mission still starts anyway.

thanks.

The_Avon_Lady
Recruit

Post by The_Avon_Lady » 2003-06-24 16:59:41

sorry I forgot, sometimes I recieve the error message: " cannot load mission: missing addon 'bis_weaponpack.' " when starting these missions, but the mission still starts anyway.
FYI, chances are when that happens that you're missing out on the mission's intro cutscene.
Last edited by The_Avon_Lady on 1970-01-01 00:00:00, edited 1 time in total.
The Avon Lady
MPO: theavonlady@theavonlady.org
INTEL: THE OFP FAQ

doc

Post by doc » 2003-06-24 17:04:07

thanks, but I just checked, I always get the intro cutscene with music working ok. :)

Snake_Man

Post by Snake_Man » 2003-06-24 17:31:22

I dont know what to say if v1.0b r7 does that death in the helicopter for you.

I believe if you revert to earlier mission and replay it with better luck (not as many team mates killed etc) it still might not work as the campaign saves the soldier statuses weirdly.

I'll try to ask from the BAS guys about these missing addon errors.

btw I have always checked each and every campaign revision that they do start without errors, in that sense I'm baffled why you guys get these errors.

The_Avon_Lady
Recruit

Post by The_Avon_Lady » 2003-06-24 17:41:34

Folks, just a general warning here, under the circumstances.

I think results might be upredictable when you've started a mission with an old version of the mission and you then CONTINUE it with a never version.

OFP's saves mid-mission information for the campaign's missions in the following folder:

OperationFlashpointUsersyourPlayerNameSavedcampaignspmc_ranger_path

If you've upgraded the campaign and were in the middle of a mission, I suggest deleting the above folder and only then restart the mission from scratch.
The Avon Lady

doc

Post by doc » 2003-06-24 17:45:59

I might reinstall everything from scratch and see what happens. a fresh start maybe :(
Please inform me if anyone else has same problem.

Can't wait to try the new and improved PMC FURY, 181 missions sounds great. ;) no sleep for 4 weeks! ::)

tommei
Recruit

Post by tommei » 2003-06-25 13:08:28

Just finished Ranger Path. Thanks for a great campaign! ;D In the mission Ranger Morning I got an error message saying "script exit.sqs not found". Also there was another error message saying "radio message reastdead not found" but I forgot to write down which mission that was. Other than that the campaign worked fine. Now its time to get back to FURY. Keep up the good work!

Reacher
1st Lt

Post by Reacher » 2003-06-26 01:29:47

Snake, I got tired of climbing mountains in Fury, so I went back and played Ranger Path again. ;) First mission went without a hitch. I lost no soldiers.

On the second mission, (PMC Ranger Action), when I started it, I was the ONLY guy available! Now I'm good, but <heh> maybe not that good. Anyway, I went ahead since I had the SOP silenced. I musta killed a hundred guys, ;) a tank, a BMP, all the vehicles, the barrels of fuel and anything else that would blow up. But I could not get the mission to end.

I saw in another message posted about using a newer version when in between a mission. Well, I completed the campaign. Does OFP still keep mission records? Do I need to do that deleting of the files? (I am using Version 7)

The last time I played this mission, I only had like #3, #5 and #8, (I think). It was ugly. This time, with just me and the silenced rifle, I took care of things. Just couldn't get the mission to end.

Any ideas?

Reacher

Snake_Man

Post by Snake_Man » 2003-06-26 16:40:33

On the second mission, (PMC Ranger Action), when I started it, I was the ONLY guy available!
Absolutely weird. Since this is just the second mission, delete all PMC Ranger Path files/dirs in your savegame dir (I believe TheAvonLady already pointed the dir out) and it should restore any possible savegames.
Does OFP still keep mission records?  Do I need to do that deleting of the files?  (I am using Version 7)
I would delete the previously mentioned savegame dir if you want to replay it. OFP should load the previous savegame setups for the soldiers I believe.

Hmm seems like this feature is too complicated to use, I mean its nice that you have some continuing soldier statuses from mission to mission, but its also nice if it WORKS.

I'll seriously consider dropping the whole damned campaign savestatus thing... feel free to comment your opinions.

Reacher
1st Lt

Post by Reacher » 2003-06-26 17:27:40

Nope, Snake, don't drop the campaign. It was a SIMPLE fix. Just like the Avon Lady said. It took 10 seconds to do, plus I found a s**t load of wasted space being taken up by old campaigns, most of which never worked right! :) (Thank you Avon Lady!)

I went back and it works perfectly. Much smoother, really a treat to play. I'm up to the 4th mission, (the long one), and had to take a break... heh heh.

The only error message I'm receiving now is the following:
"missing addons bis_weaponpack." It doesn't seem to effect the missions at all. Just wondering if I'm missing something?

I'll say this again, when you guys get to the end of this campaign, sorting out the last few bugs, PMC Ranger Path will be one of the best campaigns that has ever been created for OFP. (of course that's just my opinion.) The weapons, the Ranger soldiers, etc., is the best I've seen. Keep up the good work.

Reacher 8)

The_Avon_Lady
Recruit

Post by The_Avon_Lady » 2003-06-26 17:44:31

Thank you Avon Lady!
;)
The only error message I'm receiving now is the following:
"missing addons bis_weaponpack."  It doesn't seem to effect the missions at all.  Just wondering if I'm missing something?
You're not missing anything but Snake Man must test every cutscene and mission after producing the campaign PBO file.

There are many times where the mission editor doesn't signal an error and it only becomes apparent when running a PBO. In such cases, the missing addon name normally has to be manually added to the mission.sqm file.

Stupid mission editor! ::)
The Avon Lady

Snake_Man

Post by Snake_Man » 2003-06-26 19:35:18

Snake Man must test every cutscene and mission after producing the campaign PBO file.
My routine after creating PMC_Ranger_Path.pbo is to start the campaign at the beginning "Start" mission. Watch few seconds of every cutscene, abort (space bar), from briefing start a mission and do the endmission cheat to end it.

That is done to all of the missions to make sure no "addons blabla missing" errors are slipped in.

After talking to the BAS guys I think the conclusion is that this is just nature of OFP, for example the kiowapack... I dont have the thing used in the campaign, installed or even downloaded... still someone reported getting this error. Dunno what to say. We just have to live with it.

The_Avon_Lady
Recruit

Post by The_Avon_Lady » 2003-06-26 19:47:48

After talking to the BAS guys I think the conclusion is that this is just nature of OFP, for example the kiowapack... I dont have the thing used in the campaign, installed or even downloaded... still someone reported getting this error. Dunno what to say. We just have to live with it.
I think this missing KiowaPack error is a BAS bug - not OFPs.

You do use the OH58 in the Bridge mission's intro. It would appear that if yo have the BAS Kiowa Pack installed when playing a mission using the standard OH58, BAS' OH58 addon causes the conflicting message.
The Avon Lady

The_Avon_Lady
Recruit

Post by The_Avon_Lady » 2003-06-27 06:52:52

I think this missing KiowaPack error is a BAS bug - not OFPs.
Me was right:

http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bin/i ... 846;st=198
The Avon Lady

Snake_Man

Post by Snake_Man » 2003-06-27 08:59:30

I replaced the OH58 with Blackhawk in the Bridge mission. Should cause no more problems.

The_Avon_Lady
Recruit

Post by The_Avon_Lady » 2003-06-27 09:01:54

I replaced the OH58 with Blackhawk in the Bridge mission. Should cause no more problems.
When do you estimate you'll release R8?
The Avon Lady

Reacher
1st Lt

Post by Reacher » 2003-07-01 05:01:14

Snake, this has probably already been reported, but in PMC Ranger Butcher, the mission will not end. When the reinforcements arrive, they move forward like they're getting ready for battle, but then nothing else happens. 2 T-72's come wandering down the road, but once they're knocked out, the fight is over. I've chased down all the combatants I can find, but still no end. I thought when the reinforcements arrive, the mission ends? Did I misread something?

Second thing: RAnger Bridge. This mission also does not end. When the bridge is taken, (all the enemies have been eliminated), I get the message that the bridge has been taken, followed by the message that reinforcements are on the way, to secure the area. When the first chopper arrives, (a regular Chinook), the soldiers get out, but the chopper leaves. I then try to call for our chopper, yet the ability to call for evac is missing from my dropdown menu.

I did notice that neither of the objectives were checked off... (secure bridge and call evac). That's obviously got something to do with it. However you can't kill what you can't find! lol

I apologize if these bugs have already been reported.

Reacher

neuronios

Post by neuronios » 2003-07-01 15:05:51

Hi guys!

I´ll do anything (well, almost) to end the Ranger Butcher mission!! If you notice the post above seems I´m not the only one...

I´ve tried it in almost all the revisions released previously, I hoped it would be fixed in revision 7 but.... It just wont end. I killed everything moving that wasnt wearing an US camouflage all the way past the hospital down south (including a lone rusky soldier inside the russian base past saint pierre or whatever name), its now past 6:00am (in the mission), its a sunny day and I´ve been running around like a fool for hours, got my buddies in my squad doubting my leadership already! I´m so anxious about moving on in the campaign that that makes me want to put a piece of hot lead inside their skull! I´ve played it from scratch five or six times, since you post a new revision every now and then...

I read about people who finished the campaign already... HOW?! They gotta be kidding! How the hell did they finish the mission? Did they use the cheat (stupid cheat doesnt work here; left shift + -)? I would use it also, if it worked...

It was suposed to end once you wiped out all enemies, right? The briefing only says capture the airfield and wait for reinforcements, it didnt even say anything about holding it from counter attack or something, which is really what happens...so I stopped following it after reinforcements arrived, and I dont care if the briefing is only half the real thing, just want to move on whatever it takes.

There must be a russian soldier who burried himself alive to stay out of sight so the mission wont end, or perhaps hes disguising himself as a tree or a bush, dunno.

Requesting support imediately, over.

sorry bout the bitchin, great campaign, great unit addon!

Specs:
PMC_Ranger_Path_v1.0b.r7
OFP 1.91

Almost forgot, got a new message I didnt get in the previous revisions; "cannot load mission, missing addons bis_weaponpack", but the mission starts anyway. If it doesnt affect the missions in any way, I dont care (hope this aint the cause of all the trouble, could it?). Of course I like the intros and outros, but what the heck...

Snake_Man

Post by Snake_Man » 2003-07-01 18:10:10

Ok Ok I'll make final and absolutely working solution for Ranger Butcher mission asap.

For the first moment of my OFP editing that "assault objective 1 - the defend against reinforcements" have always been on shaky triggers.

But I'll even remove the reinforcement thing from it until the mission is playable with an end.

Snake_Man

Post by Snake_Man » 2003-07-02 03:12:05

Small update this time, only to missions bridge and butcher.

changelog

Jul 2nd, 2003. v1.0b rev 8
- ranger bridge, cutscene OH58 replaced by Blackhawk, no more addon errors.
- ranger butcher, tweaks and more tweaks for ending trigger. sigh. should work, again.

Download here, same old massive 199kb
http://www.pmctactical.org/ofp/download ... .0b.r8.rar

doc

Post by doc » 2003-07-02 14:27:24

hey snake, I found out why my missions with the chinook at the begining, like missions 6,7, and 9 were starting with me dying immediatly.
It was due to another addon called "c130v1" which I had downloaded for another campaign, conflicting with the "c130v1a" addon that i should have for your campaigns.

Once removed, all was fine!

Also I realised that you only get the missing adddon error "bis_weaponpack" when you mess around with the chioce of weapons for your team at the briefing level before a mission. Specifically, when you choose the ammo that looks like "red shotgun shells", but you are only carrying an m4.
Even if you then remove the "shotgun shells" from your gear, you still can select it by using the space bar in missions, however it shows up in red with no ammo left.

The error does nothing to the game and you can still play on perfectly.

doc

Post by doc » 2003-07-02 14:31:43

can someone please tell me where the downed blackhawk is in 'ranger pilot', i've been looking around for an hour and can't find anything but enemy soldiers and land mines?

thanks

The_Avon_Lady
Recruit

Post by The_Avon_Lady » 2003-07-02 14:35:34

can someone please tell me where the downed blackhawk is in 'ranger pilot', i've been looking around for an hour and can't find anything but enemy soldiers and land mines?

thanks
Hint: the marker on the map is an inaccurate assessment. Keep looking around. It's there. I had the same problem at first.

Frankly, I think a different marker should be used. It looks misleading on the map, like "X marks the spot", which it isn't.
The Avon Lady

doc

Post by doc » 2003-07-02 14:42:06

thanks avon lady, but can you please give me a little more info, like near a specific town , or the beach.
It is now dark and I hate using those night vision goggles.
:) 8)

Thanks

Snake_Man

Post by Snake_Man » 2003-07-02 15:20:10

It was due to another addon called "c130v1" which I had downloaded for another campaign, conflicting with the "c130v1a" addon that i should have for your campaigns.
:)
Also I realised that you only get the missing adddon error "bis_weaponpack" when you mess around with the chioce of weapons for your team at the briefing level before a mission.
Wow, do you mean it effects the NEXT mission then? I mean in mission you first get the cutscene, then briefing starts where you can assign the weapons. Does the weaponpack error come after you press continue or in the next mission where the campaign saves are taking the weapons?

Snake_Man

Post by Snake_Man » 2003-07-02 15:33:48

can someone please tell me where the downed blackhawk is in 'ranger pilot'
No. Its placed randomly each time you start the mission on 1500meter radius.
Frankly, I think a different marker should be used. It looks misleading on the map, like "X marks the spot", which it isn't.
Its the unknown maker "? Downed helo". I have now added that "Cross" ellipse in blue color above the area where the downed helo can be located.

Any suggestions what other marker than "?" I should use?
can you please give me a little more info, like near a specific town , or the beach.
Like said, each time the mission starts (not savegame) the helo is placed randomly therefore giving good replay value for the mission. This is why we cannot tell you where it is as its randomly placed.

I would never do "scripted" SAR mission where you need to find XYZ and once you have located it the first time, you always know where it is when you play it lateron.

doc

Post by doc » 2003-07-02 16:17:21

[quote
Wow, do you mean it effects the NEXT mission then? I mean in mission you first get the cutscene, then briefing starts where you can assign the weapons. Does the weaponpack error come after you press continue or in the next mission where the campaign saves are taking the weapons?[/quote]

Yes, after you press continue. And for some reason, in normal gameplay when you press space bar to cycle ammo, I am now always given the choice of the "master shotgun bullets", but they are always in red (out of ammo) status, and unusable. Even though I did not select this weapon.

This error might originate from my first selecting the master shells a few missions ago, just to see what they do. Since then I recieve this error after pressing continue to begin mission after intro.

Snake, for some reason in missions - butcher, pow and data, I am the only soldier on that mission. But when I originally played these missions last month, i had all my team??
Is it because I used the endmission cheat in the previous mission to these, or because my team was killed in that previos mission?

Sorry to complain so much. i hope this info helps in your tweeking of this great campaign.
Last edited by doc on 1970-01-01 00:00:00, edited 1 time in total.

Snake_Man

Post by Snake_Man » 2003-07-02 17:18:20

Is it because I used the endmission cheat in the previous mission to these, or because my team was killed in that previos mission?
If you use endmission cheat it should not kill your team. But also I think endmission bypasses the saved status, so yes if you had previously the team killed it still might be killed.

I'd suggest you do FRESH start to the campaign each time you get new version, then use endmission to "skip" into the mission you were playing before the latest update.
Sorry to complain so much. i hope this info helps in your tweeking of this great campaign.
No problems, I like to hear feedback and if I can, to fix the errors found on the campaign(s).

Luckily before OFP2 comes out, we can present "v1.0 RELEASE" :)

Snake_Man

Post by Snake_Man » 2003-07-03 01:27:43

Thanks for the information, I have now written that to the campaign readme.

The_Avon_Lady
Recruit

Post by The_Avon_Lady » 2003-07-03 04:56:46

I'd suggest you do FRESH start to the campaign each time you get new version, then use endmission to "skip" into the mission you were playing before the latest update.
If restarting the campaign, use the CAMPAIGN cheat to revert to the mission you're up to.

Also, whenenver restarting a campaign with a new campaign PBO file version, make sure to first delete the campaign's SQC file and temporary files.
The Avon Lady

The_Avon_Lady
Recruit

Post by The_Avon_Lady » 2003-07-03 10:48:39

Deleted my campaign files, installed the latest revision and reverted to the Bridge mission.

Indeed, none of the objectives are checked off and the mission doesn't end, even though all the objective completion radio messages were triggered and support came in, etc.

In addition to fixing this nice mission, may I suggest that you put some Russians guarding the western side of the bridge as well. I mean there's a road block and a URAL there but no one around.

Another suggestion. The sniper just loves to look out over the river all day long. He won't even turn around to look at you if you're 20 meters behind him. He should have a chance to die honorably for the motherland. ;D

Loved this mission. The enemy was charging in front of me and on my tail simultaneously at some points.
The Avon Lady

The_Avon_Lady
Recruit

Post by The_Avon_Lady » 2003-07-03 12:22:47

Questions on the Path mission.

1. Reported already: radio message ReastDead not found.

2. How are you supposed to NOT TARGET the general? I don't shoot him but how can I stop my AIs from doing so if they need to continue firing on everyone else? Should the General have a CAPTURED status or similar to avoid being targeted?

3. OK, so the General is dead. The mission is stuck with nowehere to go. Objective 1 isn't marked with a red X, there are no radio calls for extracting and no apparent way to normally end the mission.
The Avon Lady

Snake_Man

Post by Snake_Man » 2003-07-03 12:51:07

1. Reported already: radio message ReastDead not found.
Ah I missed that error/report then. I need to start to keep my eyes open :)
2. How are you supposed to NOT TARGET the general?
Its very tricky, I usually intimidate him (is that the right word) by shooting all the spez natz around and then firing to the ground beneath him, sometimes works ok sometimes doesn't. I guess it had to do with the Fleeing status.
how can I stop my AIs from doing so if they need to continue firing on everyone else?
Hold Fire command is the only way. Indeed then you are pretty much alone with the spetz natz too...

Its not the perfect solution I know.
Should the General have a CAPTURED status or similar to avoid being targeted?
That seems too easy...
Objective 1 isn't marked with a red X, there are no radio calls for extracting
Yeah that can be considered as a bug. I'll try to fix that.

Hey do you have any suggestions for the mission overall as in my mind that mission is too short as the firefight with the UAZ is pretty much the only thing you can expect?

The_Avon_Lady
Recruit

Post by The_Avon_Lady » 2003-07-03 12:57:54

That seems too easy...
But it's legitimate. OFP really doesn't have any other decent way of doing it. The HOLD FIRE method is much more unreal and virtually suicidal.
Hey do you have any suggestions for the mission overall as in my mind that mission is too short as the firefight with the UAZ is pretty much the only thing you can expect?
Indeed the mission seems too short and easy. Other than dealing with the General as a capture, you could add another BMP to the end of the convoy.

There are some troops that come in from the south after the attack begins. That's all I saw.
The Avon Lady

Snake_Man

Post by Snake_Man » 2003-07-03 14:26:34

I was thinking that since the insertion is by fast rope (what insertion isn't heh) to the narrow pathway, how about some escape with the captured Russian into some safer and wider area Extract LZ.

This would of course make the mission longer and more difficult as we can ripple some opposing angry Russians on the way from the capture point to the extract LZ.

If that sounds good, what would be the reasonable extract LZ?

Reacher
1st Lt

Post by Reacher » 2003-07-03 20:07:19

On the Capture Mission: Yes, it's tough to take out the first two vehicles then "gently" kill the guys riding with the General, without killing the General. It can be done, but it's best, once the BMP is gone, to order your two AT guys to hold fire... Another thought is to only arm one AT guy and only give him one rocket. (He better not miss! :) ) Then you lose no time commanding them to hold fire, (and they can at least use their rifles.

As for the mission being too short... I agree. If done correctly, this mission can be over with in about 5 mintutes, (give or take a bit for the time it takes for the convoy to reach you.) I would suggest that the Generals convoy be preceded by some heavy tanks... (approximately 2 to 4 minutes in advance of the Generals convoy.) This will require the equipping of some of the squad with mines and/or satchel charges to take out the heavy tanks. If you don't get the tanks, then you'll surely miss the convoy that is coming right behind, (2 to 3 minutes behind.) Also, not killing the tanks would also guarantee failure of the mission not to mention the loss of several, if not all squad members.

This will give the player an opportunity to practice their demolition skills.

When the Generals convoy arrives, the UAZ (as well as the Ural and the BMP), would stop to survey the damage done to the tanks. That could separate the General from the rest of the soldiers, making capture a bit more possible. The resulting firefight could be a good one.

Just a thought
Reacher