PMC Ranger Path - beta is released

Campaign using LSR Ranger addons

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

Raptorsaurus

Re: PMC Ranger Path - beta is released

Post by Raptorsaurus » 2003-09-18 03:04:04

I also had problems with the missions involving capturing the officers. I looked at the missions after "UNPBOing" them and noticed that the officers surrendering occurs only if they go into "flee" mode. The condition is "fleeing col1" for the first capture mission and "fleeing maj1" for the second. Apparently, on my computer and NetWalker's computer, these guys just do not go into "flee" mode. So I modified the triggers in these two missions thusly: In Snake_Ranager_Snatch (the mission on Everon where you capture the Colonel) I Changed the capture trigger condition to:

col1surrender or fleeing col1

then I added a default trigger to allow other factors besides just fleeing with the following in the ACTIVATION and ON ACTIVATION fields:

ACTIVATION: !alive colbuddy AND alive col1 AND leader assault1 distance col1<4>.25

ON ACTIVATION: col1surrender=true

This added trigger along with the modification to the existing trigger will cause the Colonel to surrender if he goes into "flee" mode, or if his guard is killed he is injured and you are in proximity to him and he is still alive, i.e. you or one of your team did not kill him. This mission worked fine for me after these modifications. I kill his guard, shoot him once in the leg or arm and then run up to him and he surrenders nicely.

In the mission on Nagova where you capture the Major (Snake_Ranger_Path) I made the following trigger change:

In the original capture trigger with an ACTIVATION field of: fleeing maj1, I changed this to: (damage maj1>.25 and !alive spetz1 and !alive spetz2 and alive maj1) or fleeing maj1.

I then modified the two Spetz Natz units attached to the Major by naming one of them spetz1 and the other spetz2.

So now if you kill the Spetz Natz guards and injure the Major he will drop his weapon. Then when you get close to him he joins your group (another trigger that needs no modification handles this).

I used "PBO Tool" ((c)2002 by JaZzBrE) to "UnPBO" and "rePBO" the campaigne - there is a link to download this utility on The Avon Lady's web. Make sure you have a backup of the orginal PBO, just in case you screw up the modification. Anyway, these changes helped me get through these missions without using the "endmission" cheat or just killing the Officers and accepting failure. So, if others are also having problems, maybe this midification or something similar might be put into the next revision of the campainge.

Raptorsaurus

Post by Raptorsaurus » 2003-09-18 03:35:24

Thats very easy solution for me as mission designer, but does it feel too "fake" in the mission itself, like the forest being five star howard johnson hotel where you walk up to? :)

btw the NoComms briefing states:

Remember that when you leap out of that C-130, you are on your own for two days. We cannot give you any support during this time, so keep your men alive out there.

This should be doable, but what would be the high risk area for the ammo to be dropped?

Overall thinking about the gameplay balance in these three missions; NoComms, Ammos and Serpent. If we dont count the high explosives which we can take from the russian ammo boxes... I dont think there is any chance the Rangers M4 magazines to be enough for the whole three mission trip.

Anyone else agree that we need the resupply just because its not "gameplay realistic" to have them run on one default load for three missions?
At the first objective I took out all the tanks with satchel charges commandered from the crates, along with ones I thought to spread between my men. I do agree that the objective should have only been fullfilled after I destryed at least a good percentage of the tanks. For the second objective I could not blow up the vehicels because there were no crates - the mission ended before I found them anyway. It is not unrealistice for an ammo dump or a base of any kind to have explosives on hand. If the mission is to destroy, then it should not be accomplished until a good deal of destruction occurs. If merely killing all the soldiers is required then the mission should be to capture.

You could make some of the tanks boardable, but low on fuel. The resourceful ranger can use one tank to take out the rest, then blow that one up. You make the boardable tanks low on fuel so that they cannot be used for the second objective.

Also, rearming should not be allowed between missions for this group of missions. The rangers should have to rely on conservation, clever use of enemy resources (like the tanks idea above), and even use enemy weapons and ammo taken from fallen enemies. A risky ammo drop mission amongst these might actually be a neat addition too. ;)

Reacher
1st Lt

Post by Reacher » 2003-09-18 05:05:38

Very good observations and suggestions, Raptor. Back a few months ago, I predicted that the PMC Ranger Path campaign "could" become one of the best campaigns to be released for OFP. I still believe that is possible.

So I do agree that realism needs to be considered at every opportunity.

Good points, Raptor...

Reacher 8)

Reacher
1st Lt

Post by Reacher » 2003-10-15 14:58:24

Bug Alert?

Snake, I recently started the new version of Ranger Path, and came across the following situations, (bugs?):

RANGER NO COMMS: Even though you have added then necessary satchel charges to this mission, the comm center cannot be destroyed. I laid 3 satchels on 3 different tries and could never get the "objective completed" msg. I finally just left the comm site and proceeded with the mission, which does end properly... just no destruction of the comm site.

RANGER DATA: The tanks are no threat. Not sure if that was your intention or not. The AI is very weak in this mission. You never know if the mission is completed and when to call in the evac chopper. Also, the evac chopper is not a UH 60.

RANGER SERPENT: Since the tanks and shilkas at the objective enemy base are not destroyed in the previous mission, (ordered not to destroy), they are available for usage in the following mission, (Serpent). I'm not sure you intended for a T-80 and 2 Shilkas to be in the hands of the West? In any event, it drastically changes the events of the mission and certainly leads to a certain, ez victory. You might want to consider locking the T-80 and the Shilkas? If this was your plan to begin with, then disregard this.

RANGER PATH: The "capture the Major" mission. The convoy never shows up. I ran this mission 3 different times, from scratch, and convoy never showed up. I waited for 10 minutes with the system set to 4 X, ....... nothing.

One good note: The bridge mission was a total success. However, the evac never takes place. The evac chopper doesn't show up, but the mission suddenly ends with "objectives completed", (which was to return to base.) This isn't anything that bothered me, since it was only a return ride to base. Just wanted to make you aware of this.

I like the new version of Ranger Path. The use of the UH-60 is a much better fit than the Chinook, although the Chinook is still used in a few missions. I've also noticed the changes you made and can say they are positive ones. I even noticed a much better grade of sound in the campaign. Were there changes in the sound? Didn't remember it sounding so good!

Continuing on with the campaign... Great, so far.

Reacher 8)

Snake_Man

Post by Snake_Man » 2003-10-15 17:36:04

started the new version of Ranger Path
Can you check the campaign menu "Start" mission and tell me which version of the campaign are you running?

I believe and hope that most of your bug fixes was fixed in the last version... but if you in fact are running the latest version which is available from our download page, then I have some work to do.

The_Avon_Lady
Recruit

Post by The_Avon_Lady » 2003-10-15 17:38:15

Can you check the campaign menu "Start" mission and tell me which version of the campaign are you running?

I believe and hope that most of your bug fixes was fixed in the last version... but if you in fact are running the latest version which is available from our download page, then I have some work to do.
He should also have deleted any residual save files from previous version playing in his OFPUSERS subdirectories.
The Avon Lady
MPO: theavonlady@theavonlady.org
INTEL: THE OFP FAQ

Reacher
1st Lt

Post by Reacher » 2003-10-15 18:48:33

Doh!!! Not sure how, but I suppose I forgot to install v11. I checked and v10 is installed. Damn!

Ok, I'll install v11, delete all the stuff I need to and jump to the missions that I had a problem with first.

I could have sworn that I installed v11, but it sure says v10.

Sorry, :-[

Reacher

Reacher
1st Lt

Post by Reacher » 2003-10-17 17:48:55

Ok, finished Ranger Path last night, after upgrading to the newest version. Everything went smoothly, except that danged mission where you have to capture the Major, after the ambush.

It took me 4 tries to finally get him, because he is an idiot and while we're killing the accompanying enemy soldiers, this moronic Major jogs off into the water and drowns himself! :o

Everytime, the guy did the same thing. Just took off for the water and before anything could be done, he was gone.

I finally got a lucky shot off with the pistol and winged him enough that he fell to the ground and started crawling.

All the other missions seemed to do just fine, (after the upgrade).

I'm trying to decide what to do now. I'm not going to start Fury again until Snake has a chance to add the weapons selections. So, I think I'll take a look at some of his other campaign betas.

My only recommendation to Ranger Path is better AI. They are the worst shots in the world and you have to really try hard to get killed, or even wounded. No wonder they lost the war! ;) They could stand to be a bit more agressive and accurate to really make this campaign rock.

just my opinion

Reacher 8)

dazz

Post by dazz » 2003-12-11 20:33:42

Hi,

I've downloaded the latest beta several times but every time I try to extract it WinRar just reports the following error "Unknown method in PMC_Ranger_Path.pbo" ?

This is frustrating as I've downloded all the required add-ons & want to get into the action!

Any advice what the problem is? - thanks

Dazz

dazz

Post by dazz » 2003-12-14 19:23:46

Regarding my problem above, I've now got it working...file
extracted okay when I used the latest version of Winrar...

Snake_Man

Post by Snake_Man » 2004-03-07 12:07:22

PMC Ranger Path v1.0b rev 12 has been added to the download page.

changelog

Mar 7th, 2004. v1.0b rev 12
- Changed the old Rangers & weapons to the new v1.50 JAM 2 Ranger units & weapons.
- Ranger Invasion, reinf helo is BIS uh60. Changed to BAS UH-60L.
- Ranger Invasion, briefing "fiel" typo, no mention of fast rope. Fixed.
- Added GPS display for all missions!
- NoComms, added certain east unit to good tactical position ...
- Ranger NoComms, briefing "uperations" typo, fixed.
- Ammos & Serpent briefings, removed the tactical part.
- Baseblast, changed BIS UH60 to BAS UH-60L.
- All missions validated so there is no old BIS units (all JAM2 now).
- Ammos removed gear from mission briefing, because you are behind enemy lines.
- Serpent, added ranger ammo boxes from last nights resupply drop.
- Data, changed east ammo boxes to JAM ones.
- Morning, ending cutscene, camera shots of nothing but the ocean, fixed.
- Morning, briefings War situation said Chinook instead of Blackhawk, fixed.
- NoComms, briefing orders typo "yourw", fixed.

Please note that you now need the BAS Delta/Ranger v1.50 addon for this campaign.

Download here, 212kb
http://www.pmctactical.org/ofp/download ... 0b.r12.rar

Andres

Post by Andres » 2004-04-19 00:07:28

I have an error that says:
Cannot load mission, missing addons bis_resistance.

And I have resistance installed

Snake_Man

Post by Snake_Man » 2004-04-19 03:53:44

I have an error that says: Cannot load mission, missing addons bis_resistance.
Which mission gives that error?

I want to confirm this myself, but I always do test the missions for cutscene and mission start before releasing a new version. So I'm somewhat doubtful there is really anything wrong in the campaign itself, but hey, I could be wrong.

Andres

Post by Andres » 2004-04-19 17:25:12

The first mission, the first cutscene.

Andres

Post by Andres » 2004-04-20 05:38:51

What about this error:
"cannot load mission, missing addon: bas_deraJ"
Can you guys help me?.

Snake_Man

Post by Snake_Man » 2004-04-20 06:15:14

You need to download the ranger/delta v1.50 release as stated in the readme and forum post.

Andres

Post by Andres » 2004-04-20 06:52:43

I did, however the error persist.

TA-50

Post by TA-50 » 2004-04-23 15:09:58

I've noticed that on the first mission, just after insertion, one or two soldiers have a tendancy to gravitate towards the small minefeild, even when in formation. I bet this has more to do with CoC mines than you, and is easily countered with properly controlling one's men or using a column formation, as per SOP.

AG1976

Post by AG1976 » 2004-04-23 18:31:25

Hi!
Snake_Man, your campaigns are made better than majority of campaigns of all OFP community! Therefore only one question. When the Betas will become FR?!
Last edited by AG1976 on 1970-01-01 00:00:00, edited 1 time in total.

Snake_Man

Post by Snake_Man » 2004-07-23 13:20:59

There is going to be new version of the campaign released sometime soon. This includes one brand new mission and lot of other smaller fixes.

As lot of time has passed since the first mission was created to this campaign and some time has passed even from the latest update... this new mission I created is somewhat different. It includes full suite of CoC Unified Artillery and even the Cruise Missiles. My computer has also been upgraded so dont except the same sort of "light" mission as the previous ones.

Stay tuned :)

Reacher
1st Lt

Post by Reacher » 2004-08-01 20:24:47

haha... "light" missions... that's a good one, Snake. Looking forward to the next update of Ranger Path.

Reacher

The_Avon_Lady
Recruit

Post by The_Avon_Lady » 2004-08-04 09:10:35

Also looking forward to it! :)
The Avon Lady
MPO: theavonlady@theavonlady.org
INTEL: THE OFP FAQ

Snake_Man

Post by Snake_Man » 2004-08-13 13:26:42

PMC Ranger Path v1.0b rev 13 is released.

This version comes with the brand new mission PMC Ranger Shining, it is mostly different mission if compared to the old ones, it is also much more CPU demanding so get ready.

IMPORTANT: This rev 13 requires now two new addons! These are The Chain Of Command's Unified Artillery v1.0 and CoC Cruise Missiles v1.0 which can be found at http://www.thechainofcommand.com/

changelog

Aug 12th, 2004. v1.0b rev 13
- ranger bait, helo combat mode to never fire.
- ranger decapitate, helo combat mode to never fire.
- ranger juice, helo combat mode to never fire.
- ranger pilots, helo combat mode to never fire.
- ranger data, helo combat mode to never fire.
- ranger morning, helo combat mode to never fire.
- ranger pow, helo combat mode to never fire.
- ranger snatch, helo combat mode to never fire.
- ranger bridge, helo combat mode to never fire.
- ranger path, helo combat mode to never fire.
- added Ranger Shining, a brand new mission.
- ranger wmd, helo combat mode to never fire.
- ranger wmd too easy after objective 1, added some punch to it...
- ranger serpent, you can hear the chinook engines at start. fixed.
- ranger pow, added some twists.
- ranger morning, added some links/markers to briefing.
- ranger intro cutscene flashes. Fixed.
- ranger ammos, objectives can be completed from far away, fixed.
- ranger bridge, objectives can be completed from far away, fixed.
- ranger nocomms, objectives can be completed from far away, fixed.
- ranger mountain, objectives can be completed from far away, fixed.
- ranger invasion, objectives can be completed from far away, fixed.
- ranger butcher, objectives can be completed from far away, fixed.
- ranger baseblast, objectives can be completed from far away, fixed.
- ranger bait, objectives can be completed from far away, fixed.
- ranger airbase, objectives can be completed from far away, fixed.
- ranger morning, objectives can be completed from far away, fixed.
- ranger action 2, objectives can be completed from far away, fixed.
- ranger action 2, fixed the airstrike, yeah for good.
- ranger serpent, reinf chinook changed to careless or he will engage.
- ranger serpent, brifing "sen" typo, fixed.
- ranger serpent, added briefing text of ammo box.
- ranger serpent, changed ammobox weapons for JAM stuff.
- ranger serpent, changed the reinf guys to patrol in loop with limited speed.

Download v1.0b rev 13 - 228kb.

Enjoy.

Reacher
1st Lt

Post by Reacher » 2004-09-10 17:32:22

Snake, I just finished the campaign, well, almost... I had a problem with the last mission, (the new one). Since the mission was long and damn tough, I had to save it and return later to finish it. When I tried to reload the mission, I got an error message saying that it was unable to read from the saved file. This is the first time in OFP history (for me), that this has occurred. I re-started from the beginning and just about got through it and had to leave. When I returned and tried to restart it again from the saved point, it did the same thing.

Just a couple of notes on things that I did run into during the campaign:

Ranger Path Mission: I could not board the chopper. Not sure if there was no more room or what, but I was not allowed on. I even ordered one of the other rangers off to see if I could get on. No dice. This also occurred on one other mission which for the life of me I cannot remember which.

Ranger Bridge: Once again, no ending. I hunted for hours for any remaining soldiers to get to the ability to call the chopper, but could not find a soul.

This is still a damn fine campaign and that last mission was a dandy. I did notice that it took a lot longer to save and reload missions than normal and remembered that you had said that the campaign had been beefed up due to your new computer! Man, was it ever!

Reacher

Snake_Man

Post by Snake_Man » 2004-09-10 23:16:30

It is the nasty OFP savegame bug, nothing to do with the campaign itself, sorta, it just uses the addons that create so much scripts/stuff that the OFP savegame will crash.

This is known OFP bug.

Its real nasty to have to play the mission from start to end in one session, but thats the OFP-world we are living now with big missions.

I'll look into the missions that do not end.

Reacher
1st Lt

Post by Reacher » 2004-09-11 03:54:48

That's good to know, Snake... I know I've never had that problem with one of your missions previously, ever. Must be that new puter of yours letting you do too much! ;D

Yes, that last mission is a doozy to try to run at one time. But I'm going to give it another whack. I made it as far as starting to take the last objective. But the truth is, that first objective is the killer! Tough!

thanks

Reacher

Snake_Man

Post by Snake_Man » 2004-10-16 10:58:59

Ranger Path Mission:  I could not board the chopper.  Not sure if there was no more room or what, but I was not allowed on.  I even ordered one of the other rangers off to see if I could get on.
I just tried the mission, had it happen to me while I ordered all my men in and tred to embark as last person.

When I ordered all my men in and went in myself before all the guys were in, all was fine.

I have no idea whats it all about, but just board the helo before the last soldier in your group and it works fine.
Ranger Bridge:  Once again, no ending.  I hunted for hours for any remaining soldiers to get to the ability to call the chopper, but could not find a soul.
I attacked the bridge, cleared all enemies. Acrossed the bridge taking out enemies from the east side. Then friendly reinforcements came, at the same time enemy reinforcements came which I killed all.

After that friendly reinforcements radioed in that all is fine, I looked my radio and there was call extract.

All seems to be working fine.

Delta_5-1

Post by Delta_5-1 » 2005-02-20 00:16:09

???
Hey Snake Man, love your campaign so far but now I've run into a problem...after I finished the PMC_Ranger_Juice mission, I can't get passed the black screen that says PMC Ranger Pilots....my pc light justs flickers on and on forever but nothing happens, I'm never able to get passed that point before the briefing/cutscene...at first I was using ur rev. 12 which gave me a CTD at the PMC Ranger Pilots loading screen.  I noticed here that u made a new revision so I updated to rev.13 and got the artillery and cruise missile addons as well...after I updated the campaign the CTD is gone at that loading point, but now I'm stuck forever at that black screen....what do I do or what can be wrong??? I'd really like to play on....Thanks in advance for any help....
Last edited by Delta_5-1 on 1970-01-01 00:00:00, edited 1 time in total.

Snake_Man

Post by Snake_Man » 2005-02-20 16:28:24

I'm stuck forever at that black screen
I have no idea why it does that. I'll recommend you remove all unused addons and leave only the stuff that are required for PMC Ranger Path, it might help.

Let me know how it turns out.

Delta_5-1

Post by Delta_5-1 » 2005-02-20 18:43:04

Thanks Snake_Man for ur reply, I guess I'll have to try that then...if it doesn't work I'll be back heh :-X

Mike
1st Lt

Post by Mike » 2005-04-30 01:39:49

@delta

the savegame bug you're enduring in 'shining' is fixed as of ofp 1.96, it's a different one to that, snake is talking about. I've reloaded several times <grin>. I didn't do a full reload, as in restart ofp, just standard load (or retry)

there is a 'bug' at end of mission, I can't radio in for evac, this might be because I have no satcomm (down to 2 men in my squad)

@snake

I got a strange radio msg about bravo when i entered first objective something about using ropes. Bravo were all dead.

@snake
the bridge mission where you clean other side of two troop trucks that come as retaliation.

played this several different ways and the ending slightly different each time. Basically, very long waits before the chinook reinforcements tell u all is ok, and this, only if you clean up all the bmps for them.

the mission wont end buisiness is because *sometimes* a squad leave their bmp but dont move very far for a long time, if it's behind the church, well, it's behind the church.

@delta and Snake

black screen of death

this was due (in my case) to the lack of the cruise addon. This addon is not mentioned in your readme's. I needed to start from game before, to clear the problem (and add the addon of course)

Not even sure if it's needed is it? There was a blue spot centre of map that might have had something to do with it at start of shining, i dunno.