Campaign design

Taiwan theater

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

ccc
Chief of Staff

Campaign design

Post by ccc » 2007-12-05 06:01:53

a rough pic shows a basic design for campaign makers.

to make ground war runing, let Red side have some units at marked area/beachheads, and hold some towns near seashore. and have more reinforecemtn units showing up later/ or at given interval, to maintain the attack power for capturing key cities... to simulate multiple waves of amphious landings, or airmobile by helos, transports, or infiltarting units.

if you make Blue side has strong US support, then red units at NE coast could be deleted.. as such attack can not be done without arousing US attention.

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief
Gaming Interests: ArmA, ArmA 2, Falcon 4.0 and OFP.
Editing Interests: All, I (try) to edit everything.

Post by Snake Man » 2007-12-05 07:30:50

Looks like interesting setup. I cant promise you that I'll do those edits for next release candidate(s), perhaps on next version I can dig deeper into this. You know, I'm so locked to the promise of all theaters for christmas ;)
PMC Tactical Forum New User Registration please read new info here.

PMC since 1984

Editing knowledge, visit PMC Editing Wiki
The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage
View our videos in PMC Youtube channel

PMC Tactical forum Advanced Search is power.

"ALPHA BLACK TO PAPA BEAR. ALL RUSSIANS ARE TOAST. OVER."

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2007-12-06 04:53:29

Oh well I managed to add some ground forces on these locations.

PMC since 1984

The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2007-12-06 05:40:35

PMC since 1984

ccc
Chief of Staff

Post by ccc » 2007-12-06 09:23:11

wow cool - how about a simple campaign test .. say, if Taipei city is captured, red side win. if some red ground units occupied towns( in Taiwan) captured, blue side win. the war will end in 72 hours.

BTW - why should i run? in your pic, my town already occuiped by Red!! :shock:

derStef
Banned user
Gaming Interests: Falcon 4.0
Editing Interests: Terrains

Post by derStef » 2007-12-13 22:09:11

can anybody tell me how to add ground units the right way with tacedit? i set "flags" on parent (32). if i add some of them i get CTDs many times.
what have i done false and how can i set that they should move?

greets from snowy austria

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2007-12-14 14:02:12

I have said this many times; TCL scripts. Get the PMC Korean Campaigns as example and keep this discussion on topic, thank you :)

PMC since 1984

derStef
Banned user

Post by derStef » 2007-12-14 14:25:46

Snake Man wrote:I have said this many times; TCL scripts. Get the PMC Korean Campaigns as example and keep this discussion on topic, thank you :)
Ok, i found them. anyway IS there a way to convert the save2.cam to a TCL scripst?? :?:

Closter
Captain

Post by Closter » 2007-12-17 12:04:39

One idea is to export units as a CSV file and then use them as a base to a new TCL script that recreates these same units.

...not tried by me!

Snakeman, what do you think?

derStef
Banned user

Post by derStef » 2007-12-17 13:24:08

Closter wrote:One idea is to export units as a CSV file and then use them as a base to a new TCL script that recreates these same units.

...not tried by me!

Snakeman, what do you think?

CSV?
what the hell is CSV?

:(

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2007-12-17 14:55:56

This topic is discussion about Taiwan Campaign Design, not how to use some tools.

Go to the tools and utils area and browse around, you see all kinds of interesting info there.

PMC since 1984

Closter
Captain

Post by Closter » 2007-12-17 15:35:58

Sorry for the OT, Snakeman, but I have to add: my idea is misleading, not *.csv format for the units, only *.uni (backup format). So Derstef, better revert to use TCL as Snakeman said!.

derStef
Banned user

Post by derStef » 2007-12-17 22:47:18

SORRY SNAKE MAN!!!! :oops:

i'll have a look on these forums!
and SORRY again!

Thanks Closter!

ccc
Chief of Staff

campaign tweak

Post by ccc » 2007-12-29 03:32:25

I'd like to share some findings here.. hope it's not that off-topic.

i take derstef's save.cam for test, edit save2.tri and save2.cam. run the war at 64x time compression, to check the progress of ground war, and hope it could reach an end.

1. the tri files, the war is set to end on Day 100. i cut-n-paste a Red-win event to make an end when Red unit capturing Taipei.

YES it works. after i moving several TCL-placed units back/near to a road, some are moving. i noted two or three red infantry units can reach and capture Taipei on Day 1 1300-1600. it ends the war in 10 hours..then game stops-news report: US pulls out Taiwan. :shock:
the blue units do not aggressively respond to the invasion around Taipei, and all hot spots at middle, SW, and NE taiwan are static.

it proves a simple " war ending " can be achieved.

2. Since the rest hot spots appear static, i change the positions of troops, increase key city value number, and add the target city camp_id to tri file, the result is no go, only Taipei captured, war not end. thru the test, ground offensive is changing/directed to new target cities, but red units never move.. it may imply the linking bug or missing bridges, or red unit too weak to launch an attack. i've no idea ATM.

3. then i back to Taipei area, test if i can set tri as "capturing Taipei and Taipei HQ to win". wierd, the linking looks ok - Taipei is easily taken before 1400, but red just won't move to take Taipei HQ.. tho two units take ShunShan airbase instead, then lost of advancing drive. in this case, i also change Taipei HQ value to 90+, Taipei 99. it seems more blue units moving to the hot zone for defense, red suffered more loss..

4. then, i decide to change tri as "capturing Taipei and ShunShan airbase to win", see if such goal can be achieved.. meanwhile i LINK ShunShan airbase with Taipei HQ( create a road between the two). the result is, blue defensive seems much more aggressive.. many armor or mobile units move to contact red, some secure Shunshan airbase, make the red offensive much harder. in this case, a red infantry unit still captured Taipei - it managed to sneak thru Blue units and capture the city - and i did not notice blue try to re-take the city yet. meanwhile, few red unit failed to take Shunshan airport. I am surprised that the defense/maneuvoring of blue troops becomes so "intentionally" after some linking tweak. the strong armor/mechanized units around airport make Red assult stall.. so no end in this test.

5. i also tweak ground units to give them orders from the begining of war.. give them target(camp_id) and set them as "capture", one by one. the result is not pleasing. the red units near Taipei do their job as usual. the rest just won't move at all. i think obj network need further check.

6. obj-linking at NW part of Taiwan does not work properly.. i found several link line crossed.