Final step for Iran airbases

Iran theater

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

Red Dog
Banned user

Final step for Iran airbases

Post by Red Dog » 2007-05-11 09:16:55

I'm just a step away to have the definitive CSV airbase list.

Here's a xls spreadhseet, same as the CSV but in column and colour coded. That is the backbone of the future final CSV

That spreadsheet comes from the original CSV list.

- All redundant airbase have been deleted

- Airbase numbers have been greatly reduced - only airbases we want to feature are now included in the list.

- Airbase/Airstrip status has been corrected (Type)

- Airbase Subtype has been corrected (Subtype) as well as the corresponding Objective number (objective)
The red cells needs to be checked as I assigned some subtype not overly used in PMC teather before (Mainly specific airbases layout such as SEOUL AFB, KIMPO, 505 WONSAN and SUWON AFB. I also used an airbase type that was (AFAIK) never used in F4 but has always been there in Falcon, it's the 36_18 airbase (1784) I need to know if I can use that one or not.
Please check the correct typo has been used (comes from my airbase tiles document I made a long time ago, so should be correct but no harm checking :) )

- Some airbases that I judge are missing have been added in the list and I need their specific data (ID=XID, X, Y and Z mainly) Those are in red cells in the spreadsheet.

- Owner has been corrected according to Rod's list in another thread. The changes are in red cell, fell free to check.

The spreadsheet can be found here:
http://www.candyparty.com/ST/SP/Iran/Ir ... olonne.zip

Next steps:
1. Check and correct that xls where needed
2. Add missing info from missing airbases
3. Convert XLS to CSV and send final list to Snake for future iran version
4. From there the two stations.dat will be generated (almost automatically) One will be for all F4 version, the second will be for OF with specific UHF,VHF and ILS freqs.
Have a Bandit day
Red Dog

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief
Gaming Interests: ArmA, ArmA 2, Falcon 4.0 and OFP.
Editing Interests: All, I (try) to edit everything.

Post by Snake Man » 2007-05-11 14:16:34

Heh, not sure if its just old otherwise, but I believe the Europe stations.dat gives alot of errors in AF BFOpslog.txt file, dunno if it works ingame or not (I would guess not).
From there the two stations.dat will be generated (almost automatically)
What does automatically mean?

Can you generate the stations.dat from the XLS/CSV somehow like with some excel macro or something, that kind of system would be very helpful that it would spit out RV, OF and AF stations.dat files automatically...
PMC Tactical Forum New User Registration please read new info here.

PMC since 1984

Editing knowledge, visit PMC Editing Wiki
The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage
View our videos in PMC Youtube channel

PMC Tactical forum Advanced Search is power.

"ALPHA BLACK TO PAPA BEAR. ALL RUSSIANS ARE TOAST. OVER."

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2007-05-11 14:36:51

Here is the error log entrys for Europe theater:

Code: Select all

62.953(2056) <general>:Error:  line 151, .\tacan.cpp on Mar  8 2007: Invalid Tacan band
62.953(2056) <general>:Error:  line 702, .\tacan.cpp on Mar  8 2007: invalid channel
Those are repeated many times, I didn't count but I'd assume its as many airbases there is (on the stations.dat).

PMC since 1984

The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage

Red Dog
Banned user

Post by Red Dog » 2007-05-11 16:02:56

Is that just with AF? or with all F4 version?
Might be another of their trick to prevent work from third party.
Or it's something based on the fact that they stopped working like F4 did in the past: X band for ground tacan and Y band for air. AFAIK, they merged and used active Y band tacan (with range) on the ground as well.

Personnaly I don't really care about AF - I do about Falcon :D

I'll check the stations.dat file for Europe when the time comes, but if it's different for F4 and AF, that will prevent me from doing the AF stations.dat file. Beside a band can only be X or Y can't it? (in F4 I mean)

Can you generate the stations.dat from the XLS/CSV somehow like with some excel macro or something, that kind of system would be very helpful that it would spit out RV, OF and AF stations.dat files automatically...
I generate automatically the stations.dat file from my airbase_list spreadsheet, not the CSV file
Last edited by Red Dog on 2007-05-11 16:05:08, edited 1 time in total.
Have a Bandit day
Red Dog

Sherlock
Lt. General
Gaming Interests: Falcon 4.0

Re: Final step for Iran airbases

Post by Sherlock » 2007-05-11 16:04:53

Red Dog wrote:
- Airbase Subtype has been corrected (Subtype) as well as the corresponding Objective number (objective)
The red cells needs to be checked as I assigned some subtype not overly used in PMC teather before (Mainly specific airbases layout such as SEOUL AFB, KIMPO, 505 WONSAN and SUWON AFB. I also used an airbase type that was (AFAIK) never used in F4 but has always been there in Falcon, it's the 36_18 airbase (1784) I need to know if I can use that one or not.
Please check the correct typo has been used (comes from my airbase tiles document I made a long time ago, so should be correct but no harm checking :) )
FYI, for future remembering...

In Allied Force (I don't know about RV or OF), the 36_18 airbase model has no PD data and also has an incomplete runway (middle section is missing). If you need a 36/18 runway then use the GEN AFB subtype for AF. It is this heading, has PD data and is usable in sim.
Sherlock
Victurous te Saluto

Sherlock
Lt. General

Post by Sherlock » 2007-05-11 16:07:51

Red Dog wrote:Is that just with AF? or with all F4 version?
Might be another of their trick to prevent work from third party.
Or it's something based on the fact that they stopped working like F4 did in the past: X band for ground tacan and Y band for air. AFAIK, they merged and used active Y band tacan (with range) on the ground as well.

Personnaly I don't really care about AF - I do about Falcon :D

I'll check the stations.dat file for Europe when the time comes, but if it's different for F4 and AF, that will prevent me from doing the AF stations.dat file. Beside a band can only be X or Y can't it? (in F4 I mean)

I generate automatically the stations.dat file from my airbase_list spreadsheet, not the CSV file
Oliver,
If you generate the stations.dat as you always do, I will volunteer to try and clear up any errors registered in the AF bfopslog.txt file from it if I can figure out what is causing the errors to be generated. I understand enough of how the stations.dat works I think and have plenty of examples between the 6 "organic" theaters that come with AF.
Sherlock
Victurous te Saluto

Red Dog
Banned user

Post by Red Dog » 2007-05-11 18:00:50

Sherlock wrote:
In Allied Force (I don't know about RV or OF), the 36_18 airbase model has no PD data and also has an incomplete runway (middle section is missing). If you need a 36/18 runway then use the GEN AFB subtype for
AF. It is this heading, has PD data and is usable in sim.
Good info. So that GEN AFB works in AF. Does it work in regular F4 as well? Then if that's the case, better never use the 36_18 airbase model in favor of the GEN AFB model.

that will simplify further compatibility.
If you generate the stations.dat as you always do, I will volunteer to try and clear up any errors registered in the AF bfopslog.txt file from it if I can figure out what is causing the errors to be generated. I understand enough of how the stations.dat works I think and have plenty of examples between the 6 "organic" theaters that come with AF.
Fine with me Rod, beside, tweaking a stations.dat file can be done very easily afterwards
Have a Bandit day
Red Dog

Sherlock
Lt. General

Post by Sherlock » 2007-05-11 18:16:21

Red Dog wrote:
Sherlock wrote:
In Allied Force (I don't know about RV or OF), the 36_18 airbase model has no PD data and also has an incomplete runway (middle section is missing). If you need a 36/18 runway then use the GEN AFB subtype for
AF. It is this heading, has PD data and is usable in sim.
Good info. So that GEN AFB works in AF. Does it work in regular F4 as well? Then if that's the case, better never use the 36_18 airbase model in favor of the GEN AFB model.
I only have SP4.2 and AF loaded. In the SP4.2 objects database the GEN AFB model is complete and usable (just like AF). The 36_18 model is incomplete (just like in AF).

I cannot speak to OF or RV. I don't have them installed on my development PC so I can't check them. Maybe someone else can use LODEditor and go in and check them out....?
Sherlock
Victurous te Saluto

Red Dog
Banned user

Post by Red Dog » 2007-05-11 19:13:44

No need Rod. Since GEN AFB just do the same as the 36-18 airbase, i'll switch to it for all 18/36 runway and we are done.
I'm pretty sure that it wasn't changed in OF either
Have a Bandit day
Red Dog

Sherlock
Lt. General

Post by Sherlock » 2007-05-13 05:17:15

Oliver,

I've been looking over your latest spreadsheet and had a question about DOSHAN TAPPEH airbase in Tehran. You currently have it slated to be an airstrip EW. I was just wondering why since this is the stats on this airbase:

Rwy Size(ft) Surface
22/04 7650/148 ASP

Plus this airbase is the Headquarters for the Iranian Air Force in case you didn't know. Was it because of the shorter length of the runway?
Sherlock
Victurous te Saluto

Sherlock
Lt. General

Post by Sherlock » 2007-05-13 18:15:19

Going thru your spreadsheet again I find the following:

SARAKHS subtype 1782 (32_14), x=1655, y=1465
and
SERAKHS subtype 1780 (26_08)), x=1668, y=1474

The first one is a name change you asked for from the old name of SARAKHS SOUTH and it is located in Iran. The second one is located in Turkmenistan (actually right on the border pretty much). You sure you want the name change now for the first one? Although the two names are spelled a little different it is pretty obvious they are in the same small area and the old name of SARAKHS SOUTH would help to differentiate it from the the other nearby airport of SERAKHS.

Also;

In your spreadsheet you have two lines dedicated to VAN (in Turkey). The first line has regular airport data but the 2nd line says: "Airbase featured in the Airbase list". What does this mean?
Sherlock
Victurous te Saluto

Red Dog
Banned user

Post by Red Dog » 2007-05-14 10:02:28

DOSHAN TAPPEH airbase in Tehran. You currently have it slated to be an airstrip EW. I was just wondering why since this is the stats on this airbase:
Rwy Size(ft) Surface
22/04 7650/148 ASP
Plus this airbase is the Headquarters for the Iranian Air Force in case you didn't know. Was it because of the shorter length of the runway?
Yep, I did this because of the rwy lenght. but that was done when fixing ODS, back in the time. So I complied with the general rule of not touching what was done for ODS and relevant in Iran.

But if you like, I can easily convert it to 03/21 airbase.
No problem on my side to upgrade Doshan tappeh to airbase status
Have a Bandit day
Red Dog

Red Dog
Banned user

Post by Red Dog » 2007-05-14 10:11:25

Sherlock wrote: SARAKHS subtype 1782 (32_14), x=1655, y=1465
and
The first one is a name change you asked for from the old name of SARAKHS SOUTH and it is located in Iran. The second one is located in Turkmenistan (actually right on the border pretty much). You sure you want the name change now for the first one? Although the two names are spelled a little different it is pretty obvious they are in the same small area and the old name of SARAKHS SOUTH would help to differentiate it from the the other nearby airport of SERAKHS.
Again, this was done so for Afghanistan. I don't mind it one way or another but i feel it would be better to use a different name albeit close, than the same name with a adjective like South. Indeed, after all they are in different country which in our cases, might be on opposite side.
Furthermore, it would be better to keep them this way to maintain a better compatibility with Afghanistan.
Finally, the name weren't decided by me but I recall the sources I used at the time named the airports differently - as it is often the casue with different dialect.
In your spreadsheet you have two lines dedicated to VAN (in Turkey). The first line has regular airport data but the 2nd line says: "Airbase featured in the Airbase list". What does this mean
The last lines you see (the one cluster with the VAN line in) are just a legend to tell you what my colour code means :)
So in the case of the Van cell, it'(s not the name that is important, but the Colour code (green) that tells me that the airbase is indeed in my airbase list spreadsheet
I colour code a lot of things because I work in two different spreadsheets. The colours helps me making sure I'm on the same wavelenght on both files, So it's mainly for my own organization.
Have a Bandit day
Red Dog

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2007-05-14 15:16:05

Red Dog wrote:Furthermore, it would be better to keep them this way to maintain a better compatibility with Afghanistan.
ODS, Iran and Afghanistan theaters should have the same airbase data on the same region. So keep doing what you do.

PMC since 1984

Red Dog
Banned user

Post by Red Dog » 2007-05-14 15:34:24

Fine with me,
Rod what about Doshan tappeh?

Want me to update it to airbase 03_21
if it's the HQ of Iran AF, might be worth doing IMHO
Have a Bandit day
Red Dog

Sherlock
Lt. General

Post by Sherlock » 2007-05-14 16:37:24

Red Dog wrote:Fine with me,
Rod what about Doshan tappeh?

Want me to update it to airbase 03_21
if it's the HQ of Iran AF, might be worth doing IMHO
That's what I was thinking, i.e., it needs to be an airbase and not just an airstrip because it is the HQ of Iranian Air Force.
Sherlock
Victurous te Saluto

Red Dog
Banned user

Post by Red Dog » 2007-05-14 16:50:48

Very well I will update it and update the spreadsheet in the evening
Have a Bandit day
Red Dog

Sherlock
Lt. General

Post by Sherlock » 2007-05-14 17:03:43

Red Dog wrote:
Sherlock wrote: SARAKHS subtype 1782 (32_14), x=1655, y=1465
and
Again, this was done so for Afghanistan. I don't mind it one way or another but i feel it would be better to use a different name albeit close, than the same name with a adjective like South. Indeed, after all they are in different country which in our cases, might be on opposite side.
Furthermore, it would be better to keep them this way to maintain a better compatibility with Afghanistan.
Finally, the name weren't decided by me but I recall the sources I used at the time named the airports differently - as it is often the casue with different dialect.
Here's a zoom in of a CIA published document I have that shows a different spelling:

What do you think about these spellings?
Sherlock
Victurous te Saluto

Red Dog
Banned user

Post by Red Dog » 2007-05-15 08:13:18

that's it's even more different than the one I found :)
Let's stick with what we have for now - I think it's a minor detail and even if it's a small mistake, it was done a long time ago for afghanistan

I am pretty sure that there are other such errors in my airbase work... In those areas, spelling is so often different because of the multi etnics difference of the inhabitants who often cluster regardless of borders :lol:
Have a Bandit day
Red Dog

Red Dog
Banned user

Post by Red Dog » 2007-05-15 10:14:46

Updated spreadsheet
http://www.candyparty.com/ST/SP/Iran/Ir ... olonne.zip

Added XID from Sherlock
changed airbase 36_18 to GEN AFB
Updated Doshan Tappeh to airbase 03/21
Added FAKE XID (until I get real ones) for 3 airbases in Georgia and owner to 4 5Cis coalition)

Comments welcome
Have a Bandit day
Red Dog

Red Dog
Banned user

Post by Red Dog » 2007-05-22 09:58:41

Rod,
Any comment on the spreadsheet?
If not I can compile the final CSV file (fake ID)
Have a Bandit day
Red Dog

Sherlock
Lt. General

Post by Sherlock » 2007-05-22 15:03:03

Red Dog wrote:Rod,
Any comment on the spreadsheet?
If not I can compile the final CSV file (fake ID)
No, I didn't see anything that looks out of place. Let's go with it. Once it's in sim we can make any adjustments at that point with TacEdit and re-export a new CSV.

Good job!
Sherlock
Victurous te Saluto

Sherlock
Lt. General

Post by Sherlock » 2007-06-13 22:51:24

@ Red Dog,
Oliver, if you will generate a trial stations.dat file for me I will plug it in and fly each approach to test for proper functioning. Or we can divy things up. Whichever is fine with me.

I've got a save0.cam I'm editing which has all of your latest list of airbases included. Once I have your trial stations.dat I will double check it's entries against the airbases/airstrips in my cam file then I can send out to you and Snake Man for you to check out as well.
Sherlock
Victurous te Saluto

Sherlock
Lt. General

Post by Sherlock » 2007-06-14 21:07:53

@RD:
I've looked through the last version of the spreadsheet again and found something I had a question about.

The following airbases are designated as subtype 36_18 airbases (OCDID=1784) still. Didn't these need to be changed to GEN_AFB subtype, OCDID=1509 ?

IRANSHAHR
HERAT
PITNYAK

(Remember the 36_18 subtype is an incomplete 3D model.)
Sherlock
Victurous te Saluto

Red Dog
Banned user

Post by Red Dog » 2007-06-27 12:43:31

You might have an old file,
I'm not sure that the final CSV has made it to you yet - I just sent it to SnakeMan yesterday and I guess it will be for the next beta.

In the final CSV, those three airbases are GEN AFB Obj:1509

Re stations.dat file, It's done, save for a dozen ILS freqs I need to check before making the first station.dat file available, hang on, I'm getting there
Have a Bandit day
Red Dog

Sherlock
Lt. General

Post by Sherlock » 2007-06-27 15:20:36

Red Dog wrote:You might have an old file,
I'm not sure that the final CSV has made it to you yet - I just sent it to SnakeMan yesterday and I guess it will be for the next beta.

In the final CSV, those three airbases are GEN AFB Obj:1509

Re stations.dat file, It's done, save for a dozen ILS freqs I need to check before making the first station.dat file available, hang on, I'm getting there
I'm hangin' on! :D

No problem. Get it to me when you can.
Sherlock
Victurous te Saluto

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2007-06-27 15:38:29

Red Dog, when you get the final stations done, you can email the whole pack together to me and Sherlock. Perhaps Sherlock wants to play around/validate some stuff there before the next version comes out which might take a while.

PMC since 1984

Red Dog
Banned user

Post by Red Dog » 2007-06-27 16:21:44

Will do,

The first stations.dat file to come will be the one for RV and AF. that's the easiest - but it will need to be validated as you gys reported there was some problem with the Europe stations.dat for AF

The one for OF will come afterwards as I need to "guess" the ILS runway assignation :oops:
Have a Bandit day
Red Dog

Sherlock
Lt. General

Post by Sherlock » 2008-06-29 15:01:45

@ Red Dog:

Oliver, did you ever generate stations.dat files for Iran for OF/AF/RV?
Sherlock
Victurous te Saluto

Red Dog
Banned user

Post by Red Dog » 2008-07-03 09:41:19

Yeah, Did that in July 2007
that's almost a year now. Sent it to Snake for the next install
Have a Bandit day
Red Dog

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2008-07-03 10:35:21

Yeah I have rar here with file Stations_Iran_070628_AF_RV.dat inside it.

PMC since 1984

Sherlock
Lt. General

Post by Sherlock » 2008-07-03 14:33:50

Snake Man wrote:Yeah I have rar here with file Stations_Iran_070628_AF_RV.dat inside it.
So I guess it didn't make it into 0.3 beta then because I can't find it?
Sherlock
Victurous te Saluto

87th_striker
Brig. General

Post by 87th_striker » 2008-07-04 16:49:32

Did you have any use for the crosschecks done with Google Earth in this thread ?

viewtopic.php?t=21376

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2008-07-05 14:28:26

Sherlock wrote:So I guess it didn't make it into 0.3 beta then because I can't find it?
Yeah there is no .dat in the release, it uses just copy of original F4's dat. Will be updated in the next release of course.

PMC since 1984

87th_striker
Brig. General

Post by 87th_striker » 2008-10-19 20:33:54

ANything happening here, Snowman ?