Iran theater

Iran theater

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief
Gaming Interests: ArmA, ArmA 2, Falcon 4.0 and OFP.
Editing Interests: All, I (try) to edit everything.

Post by Snake Man » 2007-02-28 22:11:44

Please dont quote images.

I'm now working, as you can see, for the v0.2 release. There is so much broken that I dont want to do upgrade but whole brand new installer. I still didn't add the nuke sites, did you browse through the CSV I code pasted there before, everything looks good for the import?

But yeah, v0.2 is not that far out, just little bit more tweaking and tuning and its ready.

Another matter is the installer type... do we add the monster 220mb ODS texture.zip in there, eek! :x
PMC Tactical Forum New User Registration please read new info here.

PMC since 1984

Editing knowledge, visit PMC Editing Wiki
The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage
View our videos in PMC Youtube channel

PMC Tactical forum Advanced Search is power.

"ALPHA BLACK TO PAPA BEAR. ALL RUSSIANS ARE TOAST. OVER."

Malc
Lt Colonel

Post by Malc » 2007-02-28 22:42:56

Snake Man wrote:Another matter is the installer type... do we add the monster 220mb ODS texture.zip in there, eek! :x
I have a idea... why not make a 128x128/64x64/32x32/t-tiles texture.zip for testing/dev purposes? No need to overdo things at this stage :cry:

Sherlock
Lt. General
Gaming Interests: Falcon 4.0

Post by Sherlock » 2007-02-28 22:47:47

Or another way (or thought) is to have the installer install everything and then we can just copy over manually (it is a developer version still...right?) the texture.zip and .bin files and manually run SPTInstall and LxNormalFix. I wouldn't mind doing that. Just my 0.02 worth.
Sherlock
Victurous te Saluto

Sherlock
Lt. General

Post by Sherlock » 2007-02-28 23:40:09

Snake Man wrote:Yes its renamed.

I created csv tacedit export/import file of those sites you created. Dunno why really... I guess I wanted to have kind of text based layout of the sites which can be modified easily if there is any changes necessary.

***SNIP****

And obviously the rest of the stuff aint that important. The 235 number is supply and 20 is priority which of course plays some role, but it can be easily tweaked later.

Maybe in the future if someone wants to add objectives into a theater, they could write (or just use tacedit?) this kind of export csv file which the main campaign editing guy then imports. Only thing need to be clear is the number of beginning ID so there is no overlapping ID numbering.
SM,
I went through the list and spot checked it and it looks just fine. Put it in! :)
Sherlock
Victurous te Saluto

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2007-03-01 01:37:15

Malc wrote:I have a idea... why not make a 128x128/64x64/32x32/t-tiles texture.zip for testing/dev purposes?
Well yeah, that is a good idea, will cut the size even more and the dev types understand and can "visualize" the terrain with these lower resolution tiles. Hmm yeah I definitely will make low res texture.zip and try it out, we'll see how much smaller it will go. Thanks for the tip.
Sherlock wrote:Or another way (or thought) is to have the installer install everything and then we can just copy over manually
Well I think the installer should do everything now. I wouldn't call the v0.2 a developer release anymore as we scrap the runme bat style rar system. Also v0.2 starts to look seriously good already :)
I went through the list and spot checked it and it looks just fine. Put it in!
Yep, nuke sites go in on the next Tacedit run then. Thanks.

PMC since 1984

The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage

ccc
Chief of Staff

Post by ccc » 2007-03-01 08:51:53

great job - be sure to add iranian SA-10 batteries!!

87th_striker
Brig. General

Post by 87th_striker » 2007-03-02 17:14:55

I nice little find on Google Earth... the biggest Weapons Storage facility in Iran ?

34°54'10.54"N 50°48'4.52"E Things like this needs to get in, hehe You have to zoom out to 11 km eye altitude to get the full view.....

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2007-03-03 00:07:21

Thanks 87th_striker.

Sherlock, is 34°54'10.54"N 50°48'4.52"E site included on the stuff you researched?

PMC since 1984

Sherlock
Lt. General

Post by Sherlock » 2007-03-03 00:21:14

Snake Man wrote:Thanks 87th_striker.

Sherlock, is 34°54'10.54"N 50°48'4.52"E site included on the stuff you researched?
No, since the site he identified is a regular munitions storage site and not Nuclear, chemical, Biological or Missile-related.
Sherlock
Victurous te Saluto

Sherlock
Lt. General

Post by Sherlock » 2007-03-04 20:57:18

SM,
are you going to make Iran a full-fledged theater for PMC, i.e., with it's own forum (like ODS)?
It is my intention to bring Iran to full theater status first since it is the theater I have always wanted from the early days of my flying AF. Of course, ODS can "borrow" from the work done for Iran since it uses so much of the same stuff. What are your thoughts on this?
Sherlock
Victurous te Saluto

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2007-03-04 21:25:01

I just came here to post one idea when I saw your post.

Ok to reply you first; well heh yeah this "official" or not official theater naming is quite funny. I mean WHAT is official? Nevada is not official PMC theater... yet I have done all the work for it, basically I consider the most work being objective linking in campaigns, not to mention tiles of course. Afghanistan and Europe were good examples, I did the linking to them by myself and poor quality tiles for Afghanistan using the tutorials (they look bad, really bad).

I kind of find myself wondering what the heck is official theater if its not one that I've done most work on. Of course I would not start "PMC Balkans" and in few days of work to "complete it" (well at least linking campaign wise) claim that yes this is one and only official balkans theater of whole wide F4 scene, thats stepping on toes.

Ok I'm rambling here...

Yes I think Iran theater should be "official" theater with its own forum area under PMC theaters and good mentioning/introduction on the theaters page :D

However the thing I was about to post when I came to the forum now... its an thought of combining ODS + Iran into one theater package. Whats that you ask? Well to add ODS and Iran (terrain, campaign and art) into one theater installer / download. This idea came to me mostly because of the same usage of terrain tiles and the overlapping of the theater space, not to mention PMC is doing both of them.

Specificly what I mean by combining them would be following; installer would install ODS files and Iran files, including only one time (download wise) the texture.zip which is "huge", installer would then copy it properly for both theaters in F4 dir. When install was complete the player would have ODS and Iran in the theater's menu to choose from.

Pros:
  • One simple SMALL download (tile and aircraft skin wise) for both theaters.
    They both cover the Middle East, so they "fit" together as "pack".
Cons:
  • Perhaps naming difficult, what to call it?
    Version numbering, different numbers per theater or one for the "pack"?
Just an idea, if it sucks there is always the fact that Iran definitely will be "official" PMC supported theater, no doubt about it, damn if I have spend the last few days/weeks working on it just for the tutorial :lol:

PMC since 1984

Sherlock
Lt. General

Post by Sherlock » 2007-03-05 01:18:00

Snake Man wrote:

***Snip rambling ;) *******

Ok I'm rambling here...

Yes I think Iran theater should be "official" theater with its own forum area under PMC theaters and good mentioning/introduction on the theaters page :D
YEAH! :lol:
Snake Man wrote: However the thing I was about to post when I came to the forum now... its an thought of combining ODS + Iran into one theater package. Whats that you ask? Well to add ODS and Iran (terrain, campaign and art) into one theater installer / download. This idea came to me mostly because of the same usage of terrain tiles and the overlapping of the theater space, not to mention PMC is doing both of them.

Specificly what I mean by combining them would be following; installer would install ODS files and Iran files, including only one time (download wise) the texture.zip which is "huge", installer would then copy it properly for both theaters in F4 dir. When install was complete the player would have ODS and Iran in the theater's menu to choose from.

Pros:
  • One simple SMALL download (tile and aircraft skin wise) for both theaters.
    They both cover the Middle East, so they "fit" together as "pack".
Cons:
  • Perhaps naming difficult, what to call it?
    Version numbering, different numbers per theater or one for the "pack"?
Just an idea, if it sucks there is always the fact that Iran definitely will be "official" PMC supported theater, no doubt about it, damn if I have spend the last few days/weeks working on it just for the tutorial :lol:
Actually, that is not a bad idea at all since the texture.zip is already planned to grow much larger with the addition of the new [currently missing] airbase tiles as well as incorporation of some of the Nevada terrain tiles (or so that is my hope! ). We could name it the "Middle East theater Pack". What'cha think?
Sherlock
Victurous te Saluto

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2007-03-05 05:46:28

MEP heh.

Well lets think the pack creation through before just jumping on it. I like it, sure, but there are still the cons; for example the name of ODS, everybody knows "F4 ODS" and now it would disappear in the eyes of common user before the new middle east would roam the scene or else then people would still name it ODS and Iran, which ... in fact it is. So there is these things to consider.

Of course hehe name is the least of our problems if we neutralize 220+ mb download on the texture side just for starters. In perhect world we all would have 24mbit DSL links and gigabytes worth of server space without regard to bandwidth, but unfortunately, I'm not living on that world.

Lets keep the discussion going with this, who knows perhaps go with Iran v0.2 as standalone installer first, maybe with the Malc's suggested 128x128 resolution tile texture.zip to minimize download size and so on.

But I must say I like the idea of ODS + Iran in one install / download.

PMC since 1984

T_Rex
FreeFalcon

Post by T_Rex » 2007-03-05 13:17:13

I agree. People interested in one are most likely going to be interested in the other, also.

Is there some reason you could not also continue to have them as separate? Or really, have the "main" theater be ODS available separately, then both together. I think that if someone would be interested in one over the other, the ODS would be the more attractive.

IMHO. :)
Sic Semper tyrannosauro.

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2007-03-06 14:29:07

Now the linking is complete for Iran and the E-NE neutral area from it. The only last remaining place to be linked is the neutral area in NW corner of the theater, there was some problems with the objectives as they were ... uhm duped three times each objective. I had to clean them out, its done and now only thing remaining is the linking.

I need to copy some military sites from ODS objectives as I remember Ratty and hmm who else was it who did great job adding them.

I need some instructions for the Iran vs Iraq historical war. What kind of squadrons do I place to which airbases? Any suggestion about ground forces? Victory conditions for both sides?

Also what kind of playbalance would you guys prefer for the Easy and Hard campaigns meaning how many squadrons and ground forces?

PMC since 1984

ccc
Chief of Staff

Post by ccc » 2007-03-06 15:34:52

Iraqi Air Force (IrAF)

(Note: The following Order of Battle for the Iraqi Air Force and the Iraqi Army Air Corps were upgraded with additional informations, which were not available at the time the book ran-Iraq War in the Air, 1980-1988?was published by Schiffer Military Publishing, Atglen, PA, in December 2002):

IrAF/Support Command
(Deployment as from north towards south, and from west towards east)

Kirkuk Fighter-Bomber Wing
- No. 1 FBS, Su-20, at al-Hurriyah AB (Kirkuk)
- No. 5 FBS, Su-22M, at al-Hurriyah AB (Kirkuk)
- No. 17 FS, MiG-21MF, at al-Hurriyah AB (Kirkuk)
- No. 44 FBS, Su-22M & Su-22M-3R, at al-Hurriyah AB (Kirkuk)

Mosul Fighter-Bomber Wing
- No. 11 FS (Det.), MiG-21MF, at Firnas AB (Mosul)

Qayyarah West Wing (in formation; not operational)
- No. 63 FS, MiG-23MLA, at Qayyarah West (moved to Tahmmouz AB after the start of the the war)
- No. 79 FS, Mirage F.1EQ (not yet delivered)
- No. 92 FS, Mirage F.1EQ (not yet delivered)

Bomber Wing
- 7th Sqn, Tu-22B/U, at Tahmmouz AB ("al-Taqaddum", near Habbaniyah)
- 8th Sqn, Tu-16/Tu-16K-11-16, at Tahmmouz AB (the 7th and 8th Squadrons were later combined into the 10th Squadron). A handful of Il-28s were at Tahmmouz AB as well; their condition at the moment of Iraqi invasion remains unclear: according to one source they were not operational any more but used as decoys; according to others they were deployed in combat.
- No. 39 FS "Defenders of Baghdad", MiG-23MS, Tahmmouz AB
- No. 84 FRS, MiG-25RB, Tahmmouz AB (in formation; not operational)
- No. 96 FS, MiG-25PDS, Tahmouz AB (in formation; not operational)

Flying Leaders School
- Detachment ?, Hunter F.Mk.59A/B at Rashid AB (Baghdad)
- Detachment ?, Jet Provost T.Mk.52 at Rashid AB (Baghdad)

al-Rashid Fighter Wing
- No. 9 FS, MiG-21PFM, at Rashid AB (Baghdad)
- No. 11 FS, MiG-21bis, at Rashid AB (Baghdad)
- No. 70 FRS, MiG-21RF, at Rashid AB (Baghdad)

H-3/al-Wallid Wing
- No. 84 Sqn (actually detachment), MiG-23MS, at al-Wallid AB
- No. ?? Sqn (actually detachment), MiG-21bis/MF, at al-Wallid AB

al-Kut Fighter-Bomber Wing
- No. ?? FBS, Su-7BMK, at Abu Ubaida al-Jarrah AB ("al-Kut" or "al-Jarrah" AB)
- No. 23 FBS, MiG-23BN, at Abu Ubaida al-Jarrah AB ("al-Kut" or "al-Jarrah" AB)

Nasseriyah Fighter-Bomber Wing
- No. 73 FS, MiG-23MF, at Ali Ibn Abu-Talib AB ("Tallil") (in formation; not operational)
- No. 77 FBS, MiG-23BN, at Ali Ibn Abu-Talib AB

Shoibiyah Fighter-Bomber Wing
- No. ?? FS, MiG-21MF, at al-Wihda/Shoibiyah AB
- No. 109 FBS, Su-22M, at al-Wihda/Shoibiyah AB

The IrAF/ADC also operated almost 120 SA-2 and SA-3 sites (soon to be reinforced by at least four batteries of Roland-2 SAMs, delivered from France), as well as all the AAA over caliber 57mm. While SA-2s and SA-3s were operated as complex sites, Rolands were to be deployed as single firing units.

It must be added that a sizeable contingent of Soviet air force was operational with the IrAF at the time of invasion. This consisted of 24 MiG-25R/RB/RBShs, at least 12 MiG-21MFs and at least eight MiG-23MLAs, all based at as-Shoibiyah AB, near Basrah, which was effectivelly put under Soviet control. Original intention was to test these aircraft against Iranians, before gradually putting them under Iraqi command. For example, between August 1980 and April 1981 four MiG-25s were put under Iraqi control, and the MiG-23MLA-unit consisted of Soviet but also Iraqi pilots, while the MiG-21MFs were eventually all given to the IrAF after the war started. The Iranians, however, did not care very much about Soviet or Iraqi plans, but four F-4Es from TFB.3 raided as-Shoibiyah heavily already in their first strike in response to the Iraqi invasion, on the late afternoon of 22 September. Additional strikes were flown on the following two days, and eventually the Soviets were forced to evacuate all MiG-25s to H-3/al-Wallid AB, in western Iraq, while all the MiG-23MLAs were moved to Qayyarah West AB, in north-western Iraq.

Although Moscow was time and again stressing its neutral stance regarding this war, its contingent remained in Iraq until April 1981: it was actually evacuated only after the MiG-23MLA-unit suffered heavy losses in air combats with Iranians (including four MiG-23MLAs to a single IRIAF F-14A, on 29 October 1980; two additional examples were lost while fighting Iranian counteroffensives in 1981), and several MiG-25s were destroyed and/or damaged on the ground by Iranian Phantoms in the "H-3 Blitz", on 4 April 1981.

IrAF/Training Command
Air Force Academy, Tikrit
Basic Training
- 1st Flying School, A.202A Bravo
- 2nd Flying School, A.202A Bravo
- 3rd Flying School, Mi-2, Mi-4, SA.342 Gazelle

Primary Training (partially conducted from al-Rashid AB)
- 4th Flying School, L-29
- 5th Flying School, L-29

Weapons Training
- 6th Flying School, PC-7
- 7th Flying School, Jet Provost T.52, at al-Rashid AB

IrAF/Transport Command
Transport Brigade
- 31st Sqn/A Flight, Il-76MD, at Baghdad/Saddam International
- 31st Sqn/B Flight, An-12B, al-Rashid AB
- 32nd Sqn/A Flight, An-2, miscellaneous airfields

Most of the transport aircraft ?except all the An-12Bs, but including all Il-76MDs ?were operated in the colors of the Iraqi national airline, raq Airways? The same company also operated numerous An-24TVs, most of which, however, were used for military purposes, and quite a few of which were cached and destroyed on the ground during early Iranian air strikes.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Iraqi Navy (IrN)

Naval Aviation
- No. ?? NS, SA.321GV Super Frelon, at NAS Umm-ol-Qassr
- No. ?? NS, AB.212ASW, (in formation; not operational; helicopters never delivered)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Iran

Islamic Republic of Iran Army (IRIA)

In general, the units of the Islamic Republic of Iran Army were in very poor condition. Most were down to only 50% of their strenght (some even less) and under command of lower-ranking officers, as all the generals of the former Imperial Iranian Army were removed from their posts after the revolution in 1979. During the early days of the war there was a considerable chaos within the chain of command, which led to a situation in which most of larger units were scattered into small battle-groups, that fought in cooperation with local militias and without a coherent overall command.

In September 1980 the IRIA had following units garrisoned along the Iraqi border:

- 16th Armored Division, based in Ghazvin, with three ABs equipped with M-60A-1 MBTs and M-113 APCs, including 1st in Ghazvin, 2nd in Zanjan, and 3rd in Hamedan.

- 81st Armored "Kermanshah" Division, with three ABs equipped with Chieftain MBTs and M-113 APCs, including 1st in Kermanshah, 2nd in Islam-Abad-Gharb, and 3rd in Sar-e-Pol-e-Zahab.

- 92nd Armored "Khuzestan" Division, with three ABs equipped with Chieftain MBTs and M-113 APCs (including 283rd Arm Cav. Bn), including 1st west of Khorramshahr and south of Ahwaz, 2nd west of Dezful, and 3rd west of Ahwaz.

- 21st Infantry Division, based in Tehran, established as combination of the 2nd Guards Brigade and the 1st Infantry division in Tehran, with total of four mechanized formations (including brigades of the former 1st Guards Division and Independent Guards Brigade, and 141 Infantry Battalion)

- 28th Infantry Division, with one AB (equipped with M-60A-1s MBTs), two MBs (equipped with M-113s), and a reconnaissance regiment (equipped with Scorpion LTs and M-113s), deployed in the areas of Sanandaj, Saquez and Marivan.

- 64th Infantry Division, garrisoned in Orumiyeh, and covering the Oromiyeh, Mahabad, Piransahr and Salmas areas.

- 77th Infantry Division, consisting of one AB (equipped with M-47s) and two MBs (equipped with BTR-50s), garrisoned in Khorasan, and covering the Soviet and Afghan borders, as well as remaining eastern Iran.

- 37th Armored Brigade, based in Shiraz

- 88th Armored Brigade, based in Zahedan (equipped with Chieftain MBTs), covering the borders to Afghanistan and Pakistan.

- 30th Infantry Brigade, with HQ in Gorgan.

- 84th Infantry Brigade, with HQ in Khoramabad, but deployed in field and covering the Ilam area, connecting the positions of the 81st and 92nd ADs.

- 23rd Special Forces Brigade, with HQ in Tehran, deployed along the Iraqi border in 13 separate detachments.

- 55th Airborne Brigade, based in Shiraz, with a battalion deployed in Sardasht, and a company each in Sanandaj and Dezful.

- 11th Independent Artillery Group, deployment area unknown.

- 22nd Independent Artillery Group, deployed in Khuzestan.

- 33rd Independent Artillery Group, deployment area unknown.

- 44th Independent Artillery Group, deployment area unknown.

- 55th Independent Artillery Group, deployed in Khuzestan.

Islamic Republic of Iran Army Aviation (IRIAA)

Kermanshah/Bakhtaran Army Aviation Group, main base Shahid Ashrafi Esfahani, in Kermanshah
- ? Company, AB.205 and AB.206
- ? Company, Bell 214C
- ? Company, Bell 209/AH-1J

Esfahan Army Aviation Group, main base Shahid Vatanpour (named so in 1981), near Esfahan, and Shahid Ashtari/4th Army Aviation Support Base
- ? Company, AB.206
- ? Company, Bell 214C
- ? Company, CH-47C

Kerman Army Aviation Group, main base Masjed-Suleyman
- ? Company, Bell 214C

Islamic Republic of Iran Air Force (IRIAF)

* TFB.1, Mehrabad IAP (Tehran)
11th TFW
- 11th OCU "Instructors", F-4E & RF-4E (detachment at TFB.4 in 1981)
- 12th TFS, F-4E & RF-4E

1st ERW
- ?? TRS, (E)C-130E
- ?? TRS, RF-4E and RF-5A (only nominally: all aircraft were deployed with different units of 21st, 31st and 61st TFWs)

?? TTW
- 11th TTS, C-130E/H
- 12th TTS, C-130E/H
- Tanker Squadron, Boeing 707-3J9C and Boeing 747-2J9F
- Base Flight, Bell 214A & HH-43
- ?? TTS, Fokker F.27M

?? Training Wing
- ?? TS, T-33A
- ?? TS, Beech F33

* TFB.2, Tabriz IAP (Tabriz)
21st TFW
- 21st TFS, F-5E/F
- 22nd TFS, F-5E/F
- 23rd TFS, F-5E/F
- Detachment, RF-5A (assigned to any of the three TFS')
- Detachment, C-130H
- ?? COIN Sqn, O-2A
- Base Flight, Bell 214A

* TFB.3, Shahid Nojeh AB (former Shahorkhi AB, near Hamedan)
31st TFW
- 31st TFS, F-4E & RF-4E
- 32nd TFS, F-4E & RF-4E
- Base Flight, Bell 214A

32nd TFW
- 306th TFS, F-4D (sent to 71st TFS in December 1980)
- 308th TFS, F-4D (sent to 72nd TFS in December 1980)
- 33rd TFS, F-4E & RF-4E (from December 1980, with F-4Es from 71st TFS; detachment at TFB.4 from early 1981)
- 34th TFS, F-4E (from December 1980, with F-4Es from 91st
and 101st TFWs; detachment at TFB.9 in 1988)
- Base Flight, Bell 214A

* TFB.4, Vahdati AB (Dezful)
41st TFW
- 41st TFS "Lions", F-5E/F
- 42nd TFS "Devils", F-5E/F
- 43rd TFS "Tigers", F-5E/F
- 306th Detachment (71st TFS), F-4D (periodically from October 1980)
- 308th Detachment (72nd TFS), F-4D (periodically from October 1980)
- Detachment from 21st TFW, F-5E (temporarily deployed in October/November 1980)
- Base Flight, Bell 214A

* TFB.5, Kermanshah (by 1980 used by IRIAF only as emergency airfield; instead, TFB.5 became one of main IRIAA bases)
- no units permanently deployed

* TFB.6, Bushehr IAP (Bushehr)
61st TFW
- 61st TFS, F-4E & RF-4E
- 62nd TFS, F-4E & RF-4E
- 61st TTW, C-130H
- Base Flight, Bell 214A

* TFB.7, Hor AB (Shiraz)
71st TFW
- 71st TFS, F-4E (replaced for F-4Ds from 32nd TFW)
- 72nd TFS "Flying Lions", F-14A (replaced by F-4Ds from 32nd TFW; all F-14s to 73rd TFS' detachment at Mehrabad in 1981)
- 73rd TFS, F-14A

71st TTW
- 71st TTS, C-130E/H
- 72nd TTS, C-130E/H
- 73rd TTS, Fokker F.27M
- Base Flight, Bell 214A

- VP-??, P-3C

* TFB.8, Khatami AB (later Shahid Baba'ie AB; Esfahan)
81st TFW
- 81st TFS, F-14A
- 82nd TFS, F-14A
- Base Flight, Bell 214A

* TFB.9, Bandar Abbas AB (Bandar Abbas)
91st TFW
- 91st TFS "Sharks", F-4E
- 92nd TFS, F-4E

* TFB.10, Chah Bahar AB (Chah Bahar)
101st TFW
- 101st TFS, F-4E (disbanded in 1980, crews sent to TFB.3; reformed in the 1990s with remaining F-4Ds)
- 101st TTS, C-130E/H

* TFB.11 Omidiyeh AB (Aghajari) (construction incomplete and not operational at the start of the war; was to see larger deployment of IRIAF units only from 1981)
51st TFW (in formation)
- 51st TFS, F-5E/F (in formation)
- 52nd TFS, F-5E/F (in formation)

* TFB.12 Masjed Soleyman (used by IRIAF as dispersal airfield or for basing of an F-5E-detachment from 41st TFW, as well as for larger detachment of IRIAA helicopters)
- no units permanently deployed

Islamic Republic of Iran Navy (IRIN)

- 3 Marine Battalions

Islamic Republic of Iran Naval Aviation (IRINA)
* NAS Chahbahar
- HC-?, Bell 206
- HM-?, MH-53
- HS-?, AB.212ASW

Sherlock
Lt. General

Post by Sherlock » 2007-03-06 16:04:21

@ ccc: NICE! You da man! :)

(@Snake Man, we need a beer toasting emoticon so I can toast ccc! :) )
Sherlock
Victurous te Saluto

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2007-03-08 15:16:13

Linking is now complete to the whole theater. I am very happy 8)

I ran the tiles for 128, 64, 32 and 16 resolution, the texture.zip size is 20.7mb, nicely two hundred meg smaller than original. They still look like... real thing, except with bit smudged as they are lower resolution. Yes this is much nicer for download wise, but is it worth it in the long run... needs some thinking.

Rest of the stuff is yet to do, duplicating over the ODS military objectives, building the Iran vs Iraq historical campaign and finally build the installer.

Right now we should really put together TODO list for v0.2 so all items are covered. I want to have the next release as complete as possible to as long as possible, because this will at minimum include the 128 res tiles (20mb) so it will be larger, I dont want to release newer version few days later.

So what kind of list is the Iran theater v0.2 TODO?

PMC since 1984

87th_striker
Brig. General

Post by 87th_striker » 2007-03-08 21:32:28

Su-24's are based at Shiraz according to Google Earth

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2007-03-09 15:12:36

ODS military objectives has been duped now. I'm kind of getting sick of this release winding up for so long already, I think about pulling the plug right here and right now, to just start to create the installer and test it.

I guess I'm going with the 128 res tile texture.zip now, its just 20mb in size but still look good enough for development purposes.

If anyone reading this has any suggestions for the TODO list for next version, speak now before its too late.

PMC since 1984

Sherlock
Lt. General

Post by Sherlock » 2007-03-11 19:10:29

The light colors of ALL PMC campaign maps have bugged me for a long time because those light colors make it so hard to see the WHITE flight path lines when planning a mission. So I have been playing around with color changes to the Iran map and this is what I've come up with.

It's the Iran map converted to the Korean map palette.

What does everyone think? I know it's not color representative of the real terrain, but then neither are the previous ones since they are color coded based on elevation and not terrain type.

Feedback?
Last edited by Sherlock on 2007-03-11 21:31:29, edited 1 time in total.
Sherlock
Victurous te Saluto

Sherlock
Lt. General

Post by Sherlock » 2007-03-11 19:38:21

Snake Man wrote:ODS military objectives has been duped now. I'm kind of getting sick of this release winding up for so long already, I think about pulling the plug right here and right now, to just start to create the installer and test it.

I guess I'm going with the 128 res tile texture.zip now, its just 20mb in size but still look good enough for development purposes.

If anyone reading this has any suggestions for the TODO list for next version, speak now before its too late.
You've got my theater label already.

I'll put up a link for the campaign scenario buttons that I did ok?

You've got the new campaign map I re-did because of the off-set map to the objectives problem right?

Don't forget to add the new theater.irc file I posted (change the teams to what I suggested?--still needs to be done in that file as well as the campaign .cam files.

That's all I can think of for now...will post more later if I think of anything else.
Sherlock
Victurous te Saluto

Sherlock
Lt. General

Post by Sherlock » 2007-03-12 00:20:34

@SM,

Here's the download link for the select.rsc and select.idx files for the Iran campaign scenarios.

http://www.mediafire.com/?e3uznxqgz0q
Sherlock
Victurous te Saluto

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2007-03-12 08:10:14

Sherlock wrote:those light colors make it so hard to see the WHITE flight path lines when planning a mission.
I havent noticed.
No idea what the korea palette you mean. And did you plan to keep those country name labels in there also, doesn't that mess up the white flight paths even more, well at least in Kuwait as its filled with the label?
You've got the new campaign map I re-did because of the off-set map to the objectives problem right?
Dunno what rsc there was in the release packet but I never had any problems.
Don't forget to add the new theater.irc file I posted
T_Rex might share some light on how RV/OF will handle the irc file?
change the teams to what I suggested?
Yep thats to be done for the .cam's, but dunno if its really the theater.irc where the name string comes from or cam file. Anyways, need to change yep.
Here's the download link for the select.rsc and select.idx files for the Iran campaign scenarios.
Got it, thanks.

PMC since 1984

T_Rex
FreeFalcon

Post by T_Rex » 2007-03-12 14:07:41

I'm not sure, either. :)

I suspect it will be fine, but we won't know for sure until we test. ;)
Sic Semper tyrannosauro.

Sherlock
Lt. General

Post by Sherlock » 2007-03-12 19:42:41

Snake Man wrote:
Sherlock wrote:those light colors make it so hard to see the WHITE flight path lines when planning a mission.
I havent noticed.
No idea what the korea palette you mean. And did you plan to keep those country name labels in there also, doesn't that mess up the white flight paths even more, well at least in Kuwait as its filled with the label?
Dunno what rsc there was in the release packet but I never had any problems.
The white flightpath lines against the very light yellow map is hard to see. If you click on a package in the ATO and try to see ALL of the flightpaths that make up that package it is nearly impossible to see the dimmed out lines for the other flights in that package that you are not currently in. Try it in ODS and you will see what I mean.

I meant the Korean COLOR palette. I saved the korean color palette and then brought it into the Iran map as the default color palette. Then I used some of those colors to convert the default Dem2Terrain output colors to darker shades that would let the flightpath lines show up better (like they do in the default Balkans and Korean theaters).

As to the names being there on the planning map, of course I didn't plan to have them there. I'm not stupid! ;) The graphic I posted is just for the initial campaign startup/entry screen. It is very similar to the stock startup/entry screens for Korean and Balkans. I think it provides a much more homogenous appearance than the dramatically different color scheme produced by DEM2Terrain.

As to the campmap.rsc/campmap.idx, I know you didn't have the offset problem but Couby and I both did with the download that you put up for Iran. I fixed it and provided you a link to download the updated files and you said you snagged them previously (look up earlier in this thread, pg 2, for d/l link and your post).
Sherlock
Victurous te Saluto

Sherlock
Lt. General

Cause of General Unhandled Exception in FalconAF.exe found

Post by Sherlock » 2007-03-12 20:36:25

On a separate note, I was having an error occur whenever I went into a campaign (didn't matter which one). I found that by getting rid of the "art1024" folder those unhandled exceptions stopped. AF doesn't use the art1024 folders btw at all.
Sherlock
Victurous te Saluto

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2007-03-12 22:57:30

How do we disable the threat range circles in AF then?

PMC since 1984

Sherlock
Lt. General

Post by Sherlock » 2007-03-13 20:43:47

Snake Man wrote:How do we disable the threat range circles in AF then?
Why do you want to do that? They work for me as they should just fine.
Last edited by Sherlock on 2007-03-13 23:48:08, edited 1 time in total.
Sherlock
Victurous te Saluto

87th_striker
Brig. General

Post by 87th_striker » 2007-03-13 21:36:37

Sherlock wrote:The light colors of ALL PMC campaign maps have bugged me for a long time because those light colors make it so hard to see the WHITE flight path lines when planning a mission. So I have been playing around with color changes to the Iran map and this is what I've come up with.

http://img1.putfile.com/thumb/3/6917303226.jpg

What does everyone think? I know it's not color representative of the real terrain, but then neither are the previous ones since they are color coded based on elevation and not terrain type.

Feedback?
I think looks good and I've had the same problems you described with the flightpaths.

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2007-03-14 18:14:44

Sherlock wrote:Why do you want to do that? They work for me as they should just fine.
Last time I checked they did cause CTD.

87th_striker please dont quote images.

PMC since 1984

molnibalage
Colonel
Editing Interests: Modeling

Dowload?

Post by molnibalage » 2007-03-15 09:11:29

Is the tehater now playable with FF4 or not? Where can I dowload it?

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2007-03-15 11:00:19

Its not yet available for download, you will see it on this topic when it is.

PMC since 1984

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2007-03-16 22:39:30

I have added Iran into the theaters page. Its quite empty now so more information would be welcome by anyone.

Click the image to get into Iran page.

PMC since 1984

Sherlock
Lt. General

Post by Sherlock » 2007-03-18 07:19:54

Snake Man wrote:I have added Iran into the theaters page. Its quite empty now so more information would be welcome by anyone.

Click the image to get into Iran page.
What type information are you looking to add to the Iran page?

Also, before I forget...Sirri Island and Abu Musa Island belong to Iran and should be red airbases (they are currently blue side).

Finally, what else are you needing before Iran can go to Version 0.2?
Sherlock
Victurous te Saluto

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2007-03-19 01:43:40

The type of information average joe user should need when they check the page that whats it all about.

The two islands should be fixed already in the recent objective editing sessions, I'm not home right now but hopefully this post will remind me later to double check them. But yeah I believe those are fixed since some missile sites were located on them in your nuke objective lists.

I don't know what else is required. I mean I have to go through all the posts and check whats already in/fixed and whats not.

At the moment the new tiles are in, not all palettes fixed yet, I have added I believe all the new bases into CATE airbase config, some testing needs to be done, there might be some problems but nothing major.

PMC since 1984

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2007-03-22 07:15:20

Sherlock, the theater logo iran.tga file was 32b which causes RV (and I assume OF too) to flip out and only display colored mess, the image needs to be saved to 16bit. Apparently the select images were ok since those display ok in RV also (didn't check their values).

Current status of Iran theater v0.2
- new airbase background tiles are in.
- new L2 has been build with new CATE conf files for new AB tiles.
- linking is complete.
- new nuke/chem/bio/missile objectives added.
- theater logo tga file is done.
- campaign select images done.
- tweaked texture.bin and duped tiles to make it work with seasonswitcher.
- new exe installer for RV/OF and AF.

Thats pretty much it as I can recall, propably forgot to list something.

PMC since 1984

Sherlock
Lt. General

Post by Sherlock » 2007-03-22 15:49:06

Snake Man wrote:Sherlock, the theater logo iran.tga file was 32b which causes RV (and I assume OF too) to flip out and only display colored mess, the image needs to be saved to 16bit. Apparently the select images were ok since those display ok in RV also (didn't check their values).

Current status of Iran theater v0.2
- new airbase background tiles are in.
- new L2 has been build with new CATE conf files for new AB tiles.
- linking is complete.
- new nuke/chem/bio/missile objectives added.
- theater logo tga file is done.
- campaign select images done.
- tweaked texture.bin and duped tiles to make it work with seasonswitcher.
- new exe installer for RV/OF and AF.

Thats pretty much it as I can recall, propably forgot to list something.
Did you already change the theater logo/label to 16 bit or are you waiting on me to do that and ship it to you?
Sherlock
Victurous te Saluto

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2007-03-22 17:26:01

I edited it myself. It was just to let you know that how it works, and if by any chance you'll do another theater logo sometime in the future then it will work right away.

But anyways I think we need to find a person who can do those logos for all theaters at once with same style, like the existing ones are.

PMC since 1984