Request Help

OFP editing, missions, modeling, textures, configs, but not islands

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

Big_Ben
Recruit

Request Help

Post by Big_Ben » 2004-07-18 06:49:18

Would anyone like to assist me in making my first island for OFPR? I really would like to help the community by putting in my 2 bits at making something for everyone. There have been countless hours in testing addons and missions, and the one thing there just isn't enough of are islands. Since I'm not sure of how to make an addon I thought it would be better to try making islands.

Keep up the good work!!! :)

Snake_Man

Re: Request Help

Post by Snake_Man » 2004-07-18 10:09:15

What sort of help do you seek?

I assume you have read WrpTool manual and are comfortable using the utility by now?

Big_Ben
Recruit

Post by Big_Ben » 2004-07-19 20:22:44

I have read version 0.950 and installed the upgrade , and I really just don't know exactly where to start. I have seen the texturing video in WRPedit video by SFG, but what I don't understand is there another tool called terragen besides Wilbur, and is it easier to use the official island editor, or the countless DEM files to import in to WRPedit? I have lots of questions about it, but will read the forums until I really get stuck, but setting it up seems to still be a problem. I have a p4 3.06 ghz and 2000xp. I built my pc to make, build, and play OFP/R. Every time I set up bulldozer it made a blank island with a load of water on start up of OFP and the camera bobbed up and down. I will make another attempt to start a new island later tonight when I get home from work. I want to make quality islands, but there are things I don't understand like config files...I will post what progress I make later and if you would tell me what I may or may not be doing right. Thank you for your time.

shinRaiden
Captain

Post by shinRaiden » 2004-07-19 22:19:36

By far what looks best is DEM imported land, even if you break it apart, rearrange it, and dig it up.

Unfortunately, the DEM's you will find out in the real world generally need a fair amount of chopping before they are ready for Wilbur, and that requires the use of the painful MicroDEM etc.

Wilbur has all sorts of nasty bugs, but I think that most of the one's you're likely to find have been addressed in the manual and in these forums. Just be careful, and make sure that you confirm that you are saving in a DTE format, not just a bitmap file with a .dte extension.

Visitor/Buldozer configuration is not my speciality, better information on that is found elsewhere.

Also for the config files, the sample ones are good enough for testing and release. Make sure that you get an OFPEC tag first, and modify the code accordingly. More info on that at OFPEC. For additional functionality, check out the commented configs from BIS.

Big_Ben
Recruit

Post by Big_Ben » 2004-07-20 05:42:16

Thank you for the info shinRaiden. I'm really lost to start off with, but with time I hope that the community will ask for my islands. I'm just sorry I didn't try to learn it sooner. I've been too busy testing missions and addons to try something constuctive. One day later I may try to make an addon or two just to say I did it, but for now the islands are what I really want to do.

Thanks again for the info...I need all the help I can get for the first one... :)

Big_Ben
Recruit

Post by Big_Ben » 2004-07-21 02:42:22

Ok this is the problem that I keep running in to. I made a clean install of Wrpedit, and used the BIS island Everon just to move the objects around a little, and that was fine. I even made a really tall mountain.(Stress Really Tall). My problem is that I keep getting an error p3d file was found for 480 objects. I made the folder, and UN-PBOed the island first, and put that in a folder on my desktop. I know it doesn't have to be in a ROOT dir, but does it need to be on my C: drive? I installed everything on my desktop and it works fine for already made islands, later on I made a small island to start with using just Wrpedit to see if it was going to be time consuming, and it is, but I really don't mind it. I'm learning...

Snake_Man

Post by Snake_Man » 2004-07-21 12:56:32

We do not support WrpEdit here, sorry.

Big_Ben
Recruit

Post by Big_Ben » 2004-07-21 19:08:17

I'm sorry for wasting your time.