Infinite land, stop the rumors!

ArmA 2 general discussion

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief
Gaming Interests: ArmA, ArmA 2, Falcon 4.0 and OFP.
Editing Interests: All, I (try) to edit everything.

Infinite land, stop the rumors!

Post by Snake Man » 2009-06-03 23:01:00

Its hilarious from time to time peak into the discussion of ArmA 2 infinite land in BIS forums, people there seem to think its real usable "fully developed" terrain generated on the fly, it is not.

BTW we already had infinite terrain in ArmA (1), wonder why nobody went crazy speculating about it.

Suma posted this:
While procedural terrain generation did not get that much effort of researchers as plants did, still I think there will be a significant progress in this area in the years to com, especially in the area of inhabited area development simulation (such simulation is important not only for entertainment, but also for community, urban or social predictions and development plans).

Infinite land will be basically empty, no roads, no buildings, no plants, only hills and grass in ArmA 2. Futhermore, while the technology for infinite terrain is "almost ready" and result look very good, we experienced some minor issues with it and we had to disable it before finalizing German master, therefore you will not see it in the first release of the game. Unless something unexpected happens, you should get in a patch sometimes later, though.
If I may emphasize the one important thing:

Infinite land will be basically empty, no roads, no buildings, no plants, only hills and grass in ArmA 2.
PMC Tactical Forum New User Registration please read new info here.

PMC since 1984

Editing knowledge, visit PMC Editing Wiki
The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage
View our videos in PMC Youtube channel

PMC Tactical forum Advanced Search is power.

"ALPHA BLACK TO PAPA BEAR. ALL RUSSIANS ARE TOAST. OVER."