PMC's path to ArmA 2

ArmA 2 general discussion

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief
Gaming Interests: ArmA, ArmA 2, Falcon 4.0 and OFP.
Editing Interests: All, I (try) to edit everything.

PMC's path to ArmA 2

Post by Snake Man » 2009-06-03 00:20:46

PMC's path to ArmA 2

Be sure to read the fun/sad/crazy background reading of PMC's Path to ArmA on 11-12-06.

May 21st, 2009.
First words came out (from Armaholic.com news) that ArmA 2 German version has gone GOLD. I immediately got the same feeling as I had back in 2006 with ArmA (1), I was doomed. Hehe.

Okay so my first problem is that I'm STILL running my good old 2004 computer AMD 2800+, 1gb ram, ATI Radeon 9800 Pro. As any of you might know, that barely runs ArmA (1), it simply dont work at all with the upcoming new release. What's the problem? Upgrade man! Well, problem is money, I have none :)

May 22nd, 2009.
I went to the computer shopping center to look for component prices, I got quite surprised that there was full computer for sale in quite good price: AMD X2 5200+, ASUS M52L, 2gb ram, GF 9400GS, LCD ACER 20" = 355euro's.

Then is of course the issue with money, where to get it... prolly leech it off from my family or borrow from friends. In number, ~400euro doesn't sound that bad... but well dunno really.

May 28th, 2009.
First unconfirmed rumors came out that German release of ArmA 2 is on the selected shops, some lucky ones actually got to pick it up. I was skeptic at first, but after a guy called "bert" put actual photo of his ArmA 2 box into tacticalgamer forums, I had to believe it.

ArmA 2 is available in Germany :)

May 29th, 2009.
Kept hammering the torrentz.com and google for "arma 2 torrent", was reading BIS forums constantly. Found the main config file from dev-heaven, started to work on the class names list for our wiki. An unnamed person was so kind that he sent me all the mission files without sounds or images (big files), so then I get to investigate the new scripting and other mission stuff. That eased off my mind quite a bit from the pure insanity I experienced in 2006 when I was trying to get ArmA (1), now I must admit that I was pretty cool when keeping busy with the config and mission files.

May 30th, 2009.
Woke up afternoon and found out that some guy has put ArmA 2 language files in piretebay where my utorrent rss reader picked it up (I recognized the filename), I actually didn't even scan piratebay itself just read the comments and then found out that there is ArmA 2 itself. Just the plain whole damn installed directory, hehe 8gb or something. As you know, torrent guys are loosers, but hey who am I to point fingers if these loosers arrange ArmA 2 whole dir for me hehe.

I felt little bit depressed as I got confirmation that no way my computer will run ArmA 2 as the video card is just out dated. So therefore I was left with the task of arranging the money, this might seem trivial to someone else, like if this guy has bought computer the last time 2004, what is the big deal of getting one 400euro's now then... well its complicated, I'm sort of maxed out right now, ArmA 2 came out in real bad time for me. Situation looked really grim indeed and that made me sad.

Jun 1st, 2009.
ArmA 2 torrent was complete.

It took me 1day 23hrs to download that sucker.

I was making phone calls to arrange money for to buy the new computer, things looked really grim, but eventually I hit the jackpot as I managed to borrow 400 euros. You can't imagine how happy I was with this news, but as always I'm the pessimistic bastage, I kept calm head until I received the money in my hand.

Jun 2nd, 2009.
I finally got the money to my hand for to go buy new computer like you can read from PMC development computer, mid 2009 topic. I had already downloaded ArmA 2 from the torrent (hey, I have no credit card, I'll buy it when its on the shops). It was bit trickery to get it to work and still the v1.01 patch didn't run for me.

I got to play around with the default v1.00 german version at the evening, the feeling was just so great, just so reliefed that I finally (or after all) got ArmA 2 computer even though the situation looked so bad.

Another saga came to an end, or err... start really... :)

PMC has ArmA 2 :D
PMC Tactical Forum New User Registration please read new info here.

PMC since 1984

Editing knowledge, visit PMC Editing Wiki
The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage
View our videos in PMC Youtube channel

PMC Tactical forum Advanced Search is power.

"ALPHA BLACK TO PAPA BEAR. ALL RUSSIANS ARE TOAST. OVER."