First Fight Review

ArmA campaigns and missions

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

Reacher
1st Lt

First Fight Review

Post by Reacher » 2007-03-14 03:14:54

I've played most all of Snake's OFP missions/campaigns and I must say, AA First Fight is a really good campaign.

I guess I got the most recent version because it was virtually 99% free of bugs. The only real bug I noticed was in the 2nd or 3rd mission where I am checking out the air base. I put the squad on "don't fire" but at just the wrong time, 2 of the team members opened fire. I ordered them to again "hold fire", but it didn't work. After moving on from that mission, it seemed to work fine at all other times. I don't know if that's a problem with AA or the campaign.

I really liked the campaign. It was a true infantry group of missions. There was a lot of walking involved, but overall it played out very nicely. I'm hoping there will be more missions or other campaigns.

To be honest, I played through the AA campaign first and after finishing the First Fight Campaign, I would have to say that First Fight was the better of the two, overall.

One other thing. This was probably the most difficult campaign that Snake's ever done... (at least out of the ones I've played.) The AI didn't just roll over and play dead. They were damned agressive and crack shots. Each mission was a fight to the very end.

Nice job Snake, looking forward to more.

Reacher

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief
Gaming Interests: ArmA, ArmA 2, Falcon 4.0 and OFP.
Editing Interests: All, I (try) to edit everything.

Re: First Fight Review

Post by Snake Man » 2007-03-14 18:46:08

Reacher wrote:I've played most all of Snake's OFP missions/campaigns and I must say, AA First Fight is a really good campaign.
Thanks, I'm very happy that you enjoyed it.
I ordered them to again "hold fire", but it didn't work.
I have no idea why it didn't work. But in all my mission & campaign making experience there is no way a mission could have bug to cause such thing (I mean because I dont do any combatmode changes for players squad, you would see the command on the screen if there would be one).
I really liked the campaign. It was a true infantry group of missions. There was a lot of walking involved, but overall it played out very nicely. I'm hoping there will be more missions or other campaigns.
I hope you understood from the readme, forums and the ending credits cutscene that its work in progress and I will most definitely add many many more missions to it. I dont want to give out any promises, but "I feel this is the PMC Fury of ArmA" :o
To be honest, I played through the AA campaign first and after finishing the First Fight Campaign, I would have to say that First Fight was the better of the two, overall.
:cool:
One other thing. This was probably the most difficult campaign that Snake's ever done... (at least out of the ones I've played.) The AI didn't just roll over and play dead. They were damned agressive and crack shots. Each mission was a fight to the very end.
I think this is ArmA itself, I had to tweak down the first "town capture" mission few times because people reported it to be too difficult.

Perhaps people are getting used to the OFP JAM HD world by now and as we are now thrown into ArmA sniper mode, it seems hugely difficult.

Actually right now I'm playing with my personal JAM HD aiDispersion and Ammo settings and STILL ArmA feels quite difficult for me, I dont have that "nice and easy rock'n roll" feeling in ArmA as I have in VTE or other nice dispersion/JAM HD setups in OFP.

Definitely there is more to it in ArmA's AI.
Nice job Snake, looking forward to more.
Thanks for your feedback, you can rest assured that more missions come to PMC First Fight and, again not going into any promises more campaigns.

Also as you are the long time PMC mission fan and hardcore player overall, any feedback in mission types/storylines or whatever is highly appreciated. Especially if you want to see some PMC Fury like twists and turns or just mission types in PMC First Fight, please let me now.
PMC Tactical Forum New User Registration please read new info here.

PMC since 1984

Editing knowledge, visit PMC Editing Wiki
The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage
View our videos in PMC Youtube channel

PMC Tactical forum Advanced Search is power.

"ALPHA BLACK TO PAPA BEAR. ALL RUSSIANS ARE TOAST. OVER."

Reacher
1st Lt

Post by Reacher » 2007-03-14 20:45:17

Well, I think you already know, but PMC Fury to me was the ultimate add-on campaign for OFP. I see no reason why a similar campaign in AA would be any different. Just to be honest, I kind of felt like I was in a cross between Fury and Hero. Two really good campaigns.

I forgot to mention that I had upgraded to patch 1.05 prior to starting First Fight. I suspect this fixed a few bugs that I've read about. It's my opinion that BIS is about 2 patches away from a finished product.

BTW, I played the campaign at 1024 x 768 and it rocked.

Reacher