Brilliant campaign - keep it up!

Campaign using BIS standard units

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

bighodge

Brilliant campaign - keep it up!

Post by bighodge » 2002-01-21 23:52:02

Kudos to Snake-man! I've just played through the PMC Fury campaign and I have to say it's the best addon I've seen so far :)

I thought the missions were much more in-keeping with the style of the original 1985 Flashpoint campaign (which I liked) than rather than the Red Dawn add-on (which is more like playing Rambo). The missions are well put together with well defined and attainable goals (compared to the rambling ULOTC Campaign briefings or the impossible Red Hammer objectives). I also love the way the plot goes from the beachhead landing and follows the NATO infantry push southwards. It doesn't jump around from place to place - you have to fight for every town. It's cool flying from the airfield southwards thinking 'I remember capturing that hospital' 8) or 'that's where that sniper took out my whole squad ... twice' >:(

On the downside there were a couple of bugs in some of the missions but nothing really major. There was some notably some dodgy AI on the Night Watch mission (when the leader told me to run into the middle of the airstrip and stand there while all the helos were destroyed) and one of the missions defending Meaux (when the leader just lay down in the middle of the village and didn't move)

I also had a couple of missions that didn't seem to end. Presumably there was a Russian somewhere on the map but I'd be damned if I could find him. I think I had this problem defending Meaux, mining the BMPs in Gravette, ambushing the Roadblock and taking Entre Deux.

Apart from the minor faults it was a blinding campaign and I can't wait for Part 2 ;)

bighodge

Snake_Man

Re: Brilliant campaign - keep it up!

Post by Snake_Man » 2002-01-22 00:24:57

Thank you for your kind words, its very nice to hear.

I've written down the things you mentioned, those missions which seem not to end is are kind of hard to tune up. Its dorky that you cannot accomplish the mission just because one fleeing russian is sitting under a bush somewhere. Some missions which have multiple squads do have checks like "if not alive 90% of the team, then end" etc. The balance to be found is to end the mission when the objectives given by your commander in briefing are met, for example defending a city objectives are met when the assault have been repelled (all enemies dead or fleeing).

The dodgy AI... hmm I know what you mean... but basically thats the whole idea of the mission :)

I'll look into the Meaux leader laying middle of the village.

My idea is to improve the existing Part 1 missions at some point. I'm not actually sure if the part 2 should be "standalone" or just part 1 + part 2 in new campaign zip. So dont know when those updated missions will show up.

Thanks for good comments, they are noted and written down for later review and improvement for PMC Fury :)

tommei
Recruit

Post by tommei » 2002-01-22 13:35:35

I do agree: a great campaign. Feedback: maybe a bit too much firepower on the western side. I mean that NATO has a lot of air support, the russians virtually none. In some cases that makes the missions a bit too easy. I´m not sure but it also feels like NATO has more armor too. So maybe the forces should be more balanced in part 2?
Keep up the good work!

Tor

Post by Tor » 2002-03-18 23:43:42

I will also like to say that this is the best campaign besides Cold War Crisis (they are equally good), as I also wrote in my post about the sequel.

Another small bug in "Blackhawk down" - I had to play the mission 3 times before being able to complete it. The frist 2 times the downed pilots and soldiers had all been killed before I could get there to save them (and yes I flew the direct way and was doing 325 kts all the way ;D).

Besides this minor fault I had no problems at all.