BETA testing of new missions

Campaign using BIS standard units

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

Snake_Man

BETA testing of new missions

Post by Snake_Man » 2002-11-25 08:57:37

The PMC Fury campaign new missions are ready for BETA testing now. There is already some facts of them posted on http://www.pmctactical.org/ofp/cgi-bin/ ... 1037768002 link.

The core of the missions will not change even when we add cutscene movies later, so the beta testing of the mission gameplay itself can start now.

But here is the problem...
- I believe that if the cutscenes are finished and I'll personally test the missions with PMC members it will take lot of time like month(s)!
- If I just release beta version of this campaign right now to all the web sites, then people play unfinished and lame version without reporting bugs back to me (I've experienced this before on Falcon 4.0 scene)
- There are 181 new missions to test :(

Yes, the full PMC Fury has now 241 missions total (and few extras which I don't even count). Sorry about that ;)

So lets cut the BS and get right down to it... Who wants to help me beta test the 181 new missions?

Verminator

Re: BETA testing of new missions

Post by Verminator » 2002-11-25 09:07:01

Would like to help you guys out with the beta testing.....

Brgds

Verminator
Last edited by Verminator on 1970-01-01 00:00:00, edited 1 time in total.

Snake_Man

Post by Snake_Man » 2002-12-11 12:15:28

Now the missions AND cutscenes are complete. The whole package is ready for beta testing finally.

I'm bit exhausted of the editing currently and have no wish to start beta testing the missions myself yet.

Any and all help to test the new campaign would be much appreciated!

Snake_Man

Post by Snake_Man » 2002-12-11 20:24:37

The PBO version of the beta campaign is ready for testing. We need some testers to play these missions out so we can fix any bugs remaining.

Download the campaign from this link: http://www.pmctactical.org/ofp/download ... .0b.r1.zip

Size is 1.6mb and all the missions have cutscenes and detailed briefings (if not, please let me know). There is readme inside that zip which says the following:

BETA version of PMC Fury campaign

December 11th, 2002. v1.0b rev 1

GENERAL
This is highly beta campaign beginning from mission number 61. The missions
can be heavy on the CPU load sometimes. Missions are not tested previously
and there most likely will be some errors.

All missions have cutscene (bad) and full detailed briefing. They have been
tested for ending triggers without units, however its uncertain how it works
with enemies included.

INSTALL
unzip PMC_Fury.pbo into your flashpointdirCampaigns and if you are
old player of this same campaign which was released earlier, unzip
the pmc_fury.sqc file into flashpoindirUsers<YOURNAME>SavedTmp dir and
you get to skip the already played first 60 missions.

more details from http://www.pmctactical.org/ofp

Snake Man, PMC.
---

There is also savegame file (doh as stated in readme) so you old PMC Fury players do not need to re-play the existing old 60 missions again.

Hmm please feel free to post ANY and ALL comments or bug reports you'll want. I'm most appreciative of any feedback. Please do not post the campaign ZIP to any other SERVER, as it is just small and private beta testing right now. You can post the information about this beta testing however as you please.

Hope you enjoy the campaign ;)

animalica

Post by animalica » 2002-12-12 21:35:48

System
P4, 2 Ghz
256 MB Ram
ATI Mobility Radeon
Win XP Home

OFP 1.91 original exe
(CWC, RH, R)
No other addons
only the complete PMC Fury Campaign with the new beta

Installed the beta like in the Readme.

Mission (62?) - Smoke and mirrors:

Placed one stachel under the truck, set the timer to 30 sec, hid in a bush, satchel exploded and wrecked the truck, but nothing happened. :(

Started the mission again, placed all three satchels under the truck, went back to the cliff, set off the satchels, saw a nice flying Ural (Russia 10 points! :D) and again, nothing happened.

Messed up because of OFP 1.91? :?

Snake_Man

Post by Snake_Man » 2002-12-12 23:03:13

You need to return to the boat to complete the mission. But thanks for the tip, I've fixed the briefing which was missing the "GENERAL", "INTEL", "ORDERS" etc lines and also written some more specific orders "blow the truck, return to the boat".

Thanks for the info, now get back to the boat :-)

Mad_Larkin

Post by Mad_Larkin » 2002-12-13 18:21:31

Hello, i started on the old PMC Fury campaign a while back now (it had just been released as the full 61 missions together) Im interested in beta testing but have for old times sakes started from the begining of the campaign and i was wondering if you have adjusted some of the parameters since i first played the game, for example when i played the second mission (capture the air base) I noticed the allied AI are not complete muppets and didnt just run into enemy fire.

If you have changed things it is way better now as i dont have to play the game as though im Stallone and single handedly do everything. If you havent changed the old missions do you have any ideas why the allied AI have suddenly lost there desire to run at automatic weapons...

Excellent campaign by the way, probably the best out there (including official efforts) i will enjoy seeing it through again.

PS. thanks for getting rid of the Steven Hawking chatter, it was bloody annoying!

Snake_Man

Post by Snake_Man » 2002-12-13 18:29:43

i was wondering if you have adjusted some of the parameters since i first played the game
No, only few later missions are fixed for 1.85 AI like medicine man and hostage rescue. Also I KNOW there is severe bug on one of the missions (already released missions) which came along with the new 1.85 AI.
If you havent changed the old missions do you have any ideas why the allied AI have suddenly lost there  desire to run at automatic weapons...
Its the 1.75 -> 1.85 AI changes, cannot remember which version exactly it was where they were introduced.
Excellent campaign by the way, probably the best out there (including official efforts) i will enjoy seeing it through again.
Well definitely not BIS quality, but thanks for the nice words :)
PS. thanks for getting rid of the Steven Hawking chatter, it was bloody annoying!
Yes indeed dunno if I mentioned it before, I removed the OGG files from the campaign so now you only hear the radio squeek but no voices. This way the download size comes down nicely to ridiculous 1.6mb for such many missions and to be, its more or less the same this way if the voice quality is the robot sound.

Mad_Larkin

Post by Mad_Larkin » 2002-12-13 18:56:25

I think your missions provide more variety for the infantry, something BIS didnt do in my opinion, and certainly alot more killing opporunities, I prefer the scale of the combat scenarios you have made. Of course with the number of infantry I sometimes get a real urge to have any kind of armour with HE rounds. I did that on one of the latter missions last time round. I 'aquired' a BMP an absolutley wasted the russian infantry who came running at me, (oh fond memories)

Snake_Man

Post by Snake_Man » 2002-12-18 10:25:10

New version of the campaign have been uploaded, v1.0beta rev 2.

Fixes in this version: mission number 64 did not end. mission number 66 had error in one of the triggers.
Last edited by Snake_Man on 1970-01-01 00:00:00, edited 1 time in total.

Mad_Larkin

Post by Mad_Larkin » 2002-12-21 14:14:27

Can we download this and not have to start over the campaign again? like you did with the last revision of PMC?

Im going through all the missions again anyway, I dont know why but it seems as though bugs i had last time round in the old missions have been fixed, very weird.

So far attacking the gas station has been my personal favourite, last time i played that mission it wouldnt end this time though it ran smoothly and i got a fair few kills to.

I must admitt the new AI makes the forest conflicts much harder but far more interesting, in the old version of the game you could basically stand on top of a ruskie and he wouldnt fire at you. This time round though they are far more aggressive and sly.

Great missions guys!

Snake_Man

Post by Snake_Man » 2002-12-21 15:01:15

Can we download this and not have to start over the campaign again? like you did with the last revision of PMC?
Just put the PMC_Fury.pbo into the campaign dir and then choose Replay mission or Revert if you like. You dont need to "start over" from the beginning. Your savegames are uneffected with this new v1.0b rev 2.

Mad_Larkin

Post by Mad_Larkin » 2002-12-22 12:20:25

Im still going through the old missions, Ive noticed that on the second repel the russian assault on errmm, i forget the town there seems to be problems with the mission ending, the second time round i found it was because i need to finish off a couple of crippled yet not destroyed tanks, but the first time i noticed some men leg it and i did not have enough time to catch them and waste them, after id lost them i couldnt find them!

Ive had a similar problem capturing tyronne, men get away and thats it, i cant end the mission despite effectivley capturing the city. is there anyway problems like this can be solved? It seems pretty unrealistic thatr you can achieve an objective because a single man has run off!

Snake_Man

Post by Snake_Man » 2002-12-22 14:11:17

is there anyway problems like this can be solved? It seems pretty unrealistic thatr you can achieve an objective because a single man has run off!
The mission dont end because the TRIGGER for east-not-present is too large and one single soldier is hiding in some distant bushes which you need to kill to activate the trigger.

I can make the trigger smaller, however I want to concentrate to the NEW missions right now which begins from number 61. The original missions will get facelift lateron.

Snake_Man

Post by Snake_Man » 2002-12-23 13:46:36

New version 1.0b rev 3 is out, this one has missions fixed and most importantly tested up to the mission number 78.

Download here:
http://www.pmctactical.org/ofp/download ... .0b.r3.zip

tommei
Recruit

Post by tommei » 2003-01-27 16:53:40

I think I´ve found a bug in mission #79 Silver Obelisk. You get thrown out of the chopper just before it actually lands for the insertion and you end up with a dead squad and yourself injured. I tried this four times with the same results. I am using savegame cheat and accelerated time every once in a while so I don´t know if that´s screwing up the script somehow. ::)

Snake_Man

Post by Snake_Man » 2003-01-28 08:30:55

That mission has now been fixed, here is the new beta version which has more fixes. Please let me know when more bugs are detected.

http://www.pmctactical.org/ofp/download ... .0b.r4.zip

tommei
Recruit

Post by tommei » 2003-02-13 18:13:23

Possible bug in mission #94 Guardian. When you´re getting back to the base after the incident with the civilians the Blackhawk doesn´t take you back to the base but leaves you on the beach beside it. Even though you get to the base on foot with the colonel the mission doesn´t end. :)

Snake_Man

Post by Snake_Man » 2003-02-14 00:07:05

Possible bug in mission #94 Guardian.
Blackhawk doesn´t take you back to the base but leaves you on the beach beside it. Even though you get to the base the mission doesn´t end. :)
Interesting. Will this happen all the time for you, I mean have you restarted the mission clean (no savegame)?

tommei
Recruit

Post by tommei » 2003-02-14 06:12:03

Didn´t have time to do so. I´ll try it again on monday when I get back from our summer cottage.

tommei
Recruit

Post by tommei » 2003-02-17 07:01:08

OK. Tried it out 3 times without the savegame cheat. The Blackhawk now takes me and the colonel back to the base ok but the mission won´t end even though the objective is checked and I let the game run for up to 8 minutes. Tried it with 4xtime and no time acceleration.

Snake_Man

Post by Snake_Man » 2003-02-18 09:30:16

That mission had bug in the ending triggers, two End #1 were present :)

Fixed now http://www.pmctactical.org/ofp/download ... .0b.r5.zip

btw if you use time acceleration when returning home, Black Hawk will overshoot and land you to the beach, noticed that too when testing this one.

ACE_FOFA

Post by ACE_FOFA » 2003-02-18 13:45:03

I havent update to Res yet, can it be confirmed these missions are not 1.46 compatbile?

Regards

ACE_FOFA

tommei
Recruit

Post by tommei » 2003-03-06 16:20:46

Weird thing happened to me in mission #107 Rapid Hope. When I was closing in on extraction point and used radio to call for chopper I got a message saying "radio message rextract not found". Nevertheless when I got to the ext. point and waited for a while the chopper arrived and everything vent OK.

Snake_Man

Post by Snake_Man » 2003-03-06 20:35:51

I got a message saying "radio message rextract not found".
Okay thanks for the report, its now fixed along with the "noname" on mission name and loading.

Please report if you see any spelling mistakes or "noname" loading screens etc. Anything at all.

Thanks again for this report, new v1.0b rev 6 is online, check download page.

tommei
Recruit

Post by tommei » 2003-03-11 17:06:40

Mission #119 Desert Justice. After I finish the mission I get thrown to desktop with a "error in campaign structure" message. Tried it with endmission-cheat and by playing the mission through.

Snake_Man

Post by Snake_Man » 2003-03-12 05:22:02

After I finish the mission I get thrown to desktop with a "error in campaign structure" message.
Ouch!

Sorry about that, the description.ext had one .abel string missing from the mission name ;)

Here is the fixed version, added to the download page.

http://www.pmctactical.org/ofp/download ... .0b.r7.zip

tommei
Recruit

Post by tommei » 2003-03-24 16:16:05

Mission #123 Laser Stick wouldn´t end. I heard a distant sound of a chopper but nothing happened. At this point the Vulcans had allready downed 3-4 MI-24´s and my squad had taken out a russian infantry squad attacking from the south. Might be just a case of a single russian hiding somewhere in the bushes. :)

Snake_Man

Post by Snake_Man » 2003-03-24 21:37:16

I did look at the mission, didn't detect any direct errors in there, of course these triggers are always tricky.

Did you try few times or just once?

If it bugs on you after couple of tries, I'll try to come up somesort of timelimit ending etc.

tommei
Recruit

Post by tommei » 2003-03-25 06:15:09

I´ll try it a couple of times more and tell you how it goes.

tommei
Recruit

Post by tommei » 2003-04-02 17:32:24

OK, tried mission #123 Laser Stick again and this is what happened: once there was just 1 MI-24 and an infantry squad and then nothing. I could hear a distant sound of a chopper but there was no attack. On second attempt the 3rd or 4th MI-24 took out the last Vulcan and after that it just kept circling around without attacking. How is that mission normally supposed to go?
I´ve also got more sad news I´m afraid. I had trouble with mission #130 interrogations. After the short conversation with the russian officer in front of the house he tells my new squad mate to follow him inside the house. Two times this did not happen. The officer went in but my squad mate didn´t move an inch. Two times he did follow the officer inside the house but nothing happened. They just stood there.
Sorry to rain on your parade all the time.

ghostbearco

Post by ghostbearco » 2003-04-04 12:20:58

Ill get to testing these missions on Monday for you and ill give you a full report as soon as I am some way into it. Ill help anyway I can.

Wallis DelVillar

tommei
Recruit

Post by tommei » 2003-04-06 16:24:30

Mission #134 Maritime Light wouldn´t end. Objective is checked and I got the message to prepare for some company. After that the only thing that happens is that the AH-64 keeps on circulating around the city and firing an occasional burst into the forests surrounding it.

ghostbearco

Post by ghostbearco » 2003-04-09 11:39:17

GDay PMC Team,

Here is my report on the PMC Beta (R 1.7) as it stands so far.

Mission 61 (Smoke and Mirrors):-

- There were a few minor typos in the briefing but running it through a spell checker should fix that. The briefing itself was well formated and it was clear what the objective of the mission was. IF you dont fell like spellchecking them I can do it and email the briefing files back to you, your call.

- Possibly you could show the player moving part way up the hill in the intro movie as I found running all the way up the hill tedious (Its a nice location though).

- The mission itself worked well although I didnt see any opposition. If you added some other Black Ops to the mission with different objectives it would increase the scope of the mission and make the concept of the operation (A distraction) more convincing. I recommened using a similar setup to the mission from the original 1985 campaign, Pathfinder. You would not even have to include the Black Ops in the mission just program some objects a distance away to explode on a radio call.

Mission 62 (Maratime Thunder):-

- A few typos here too. Please see earlier suggestion.

- A retry point after leaving the APC would be sweet. It saves waiting 60 seconds again before disembarking if you die and have to restart.

- Typos in the end speech by Echo. He says Someone instead of the players callsign.

- This was an enjoyable mission in my opinion. Quite Challenging.

Mission 63(Vigilant Anvil):-

- A few typos here too. Please see earlier suggestion.

- Some red arrows on the map to signify the direction of the enemy assault would help the player. You had arrows marked invasion but It wasnt clear if that was your invasion or the NME's invasion route.

- The counter attack by the NME wasnt very big compared to the forces of the NATO team. You could justify this though by mentioning in the debrief at the end of the mission that the distraction caused by the Smoke and Mirrors Operation has drawn off NME armoured units succesfully. This would also add to the story too.

Thats all I have for now. Please Email me when you can to tell me what you thought of this report so far. Im looking forward to playing the rest of the campaign as soon as I get the chance.

Sincerly,
Wallis DelVillar

ghostbearco

Post by ghostbearco » 2003-04-09 11:44:31

Sorry about the typos in that last post (Doh). In Mission 63, I was refering to the direction of the NME assault being unclear in the briefing as the arrows on the map show invasion from the sea. I believe you were refering to NATO forces but I wasnt 100% sure.

Wallis DelVillar

tommei
Recruit

Post by tommei » 2003-04-11 14:44:30

Mission #136 Agile Puma. Objective gets checked right after you climb up the first hill from the town and haven´t had any enemy contact at all. Extraction chopper comes and gets shot down by the russians in the mountains. ???

tommei
Recruit

Post by tommei » 2003-04-11 15:18:57

Mission #137 Rolling Blaze. The truck that´s supposed to take you and your squad to meet with Bravo doesn´t. It drives to the first crossroads, turns right, turns around, goes back to the main road, turns around, turns right etc. It just stays stuck in this loop.

tommei
Recruit

Post by tommei » 2003-04-12 13:36:08

Mission #138 Righteous Path doesn´t have a war situation-briefing.

Snake_Man

Post by Snake_Man » 2003-04-13 19:40:06

Sorry about the few days wait for this update, but I'm been busy watching Operation Iraqi Freedom.
Laser Stick wouldn´t end
I'm not sure if the not ending is fixed, but I at least added some AA toys for player to use.
interrogations
Is now fixed so soldiers dont get stuck inside a house.
Maritime Light wouldn´t end
Fixed some ending triggers, hopefully it works now.
Agile Puma
Again ending triggers fixed and now AH-1 Cobra wont activate the trigger by mistake.
Rolling Blaze. The truck
Trucks waypoints are now fixed.
Mission #138 Righteous Path doesn´t have a war situation-briefing.
It has now.

v1.0b rev 8 update available here:
http://www.pmctactical.org/ofp/download ... .0b.r8.zip

Thanks for everybody for testing the missions, I'll keep updating them as we go along. I'm also planning a ending cutscene at the moment as I somewhat just realized this "new" campaign dont have one yet. So please dont play the last mission yet :-) (heh just joking).

ghostbearco

Post by ghostbearco » 2003-04-14 00:40:34

Here is my testing report for missions 64 (Distant Haven) to mission 72 (Decisive Flash). As with last time I will send this in an email and post it on the forum in the Beta Testing thread. Any queries email me at ghostbearco@hotmail.com.

In General:-

- In the mission select screen of the campaign I get an error pmc_fury.jpg not found. Ive uncompressed the PBO and the file is there and on occasion the picture appears in the mission window so I am unsure as to what is causing this problem.

- 10 men in a squad would help in some of the missions (64 and 72 specifically), also most armed forces operate in 10 men squads so this would be technically correct.

- I noticed someone in the forums was unhappy about chasing the last enemy soldier in some missions halfway across the map. Smaller end triggers or use of the allowfleeing command would help to reduce this.

Mission 64:- Distant Haven

- This mission ended early (To my relief) when I was hiding in a bush west of the buildings (Not the town of Chotain). The soldiers defending the buildings must have moved far enough away from them to cause the trigger to show the area there was clear. As I had already cleared the hill and Chotain it ended the mission.

- This mission is quite difficult.

Mission 65:- Noble Force

- This mission played well.

Mission 66:- Fiery Sword

- The notes section of the briefing was incomplete. I think it said put notes here or something similar.

- A retry point after the hill was cleared of AA forces. This isnt necessary if the player saves at this point but it may avoid immense frustration for newer players.

Mission 67:- Stell Warrior

- I enjoyed this mission due to the combined arms combat that took place.

Mission 68:- Silver Sabre

- Arrows needed in the breifing to show the player where his squad should go and where all friendly supporting units will be.

- Its not a bug but its worth noting that Bravo got nailed early, if they went wider or slower they could be more of an influence on the engagement.

- The Anti tank squad mentioned in the briefing got hammered before they fired one shot. I found thier bodies in La Riviera at the end of the mission. I used a LAW to kill both BMPS from about half way down the hill. If this squad moved in sync with the players team they could support each other.

Mission 69:- Shining Eye

- Please show the expected direction of the Enemies attack with arrows on the map.

- A side note. During this mission I disabled one of the hinds with an AA missile causing the crew to eject. The hind was moving low and slow and so when the crew ejected the helicopter landed intact and flyable (Hooray!). I ended up finishing the last of the enemy soldiers who got stuck in the hills outside the city by strafing them with the hind. This isnt a bug but an incredible stroke of luck.

Mission 70:- Shepard

- This mission played well

Mission 71:- Determined Fox

- Taking the LAW soldiers out of the players squad and replacing them with grenadiers would make sense in this mission given the nature of the task. (Clear the woods)

Mission 72:- Decisive Flash

- Im still trying to pass this mission. I opened it up in the editor and set the tanks to move in straight away as there is nothing on the beach that will stop them I couldnt see why they needed to wait for my squad to clear it. Its that part of me that loves tanks taking over again!

Conclusion:-

The campaign is playing well so far, you have done a good job in setting the missions up into a conherent story that is enjoyable to battle through. The format of your mission briefings is a big improvement over the original Fury Campaign.

P.S the last mission of the original campaign (Capture Sainte Pierre) was really good. The helicopter attack followed by a massed tank and infantry assault is very close to how an attack would be planned in real combat.

Sincerly,
Wallis DelVillar