BETA testing of new missions

Campaign using BIS standard units

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

tommei
Recruit

Re: BETA testing of new missions

Post by tommei » 2003-04-24 15:28:26

Mission #140 Downhill. I find myself to be number 9 in my squad with an AI leader. What happens is he tells the squad to move near the barricade in the beginning and after that nothing. :o

Snake_Man

Post by Snake_Man » 2003-04-24 17:53:56

Mission Downhill fixed along with Golden Canyon.

http://www.pmctactical.org/ofp/download ... .0b.r9.zip

tommei
Recruit

Post by tommei » 2003-04-28 15:43:51

Mission #142 wouldn´t end. I´ve got the base and have killed everything in its vicinity but nothing happens. Could be just a case of a hiding russian.

tommei
Recruit

Post by tommei » 2003-04-28 15:44:31

Mission #142 Infinite Response that is. ;)

Snake_Man

Post by Snake_Man » 2003-04-28 22:29:46

Infinite Response ending trigger fixed.

http://www.pmctactical.org/ofp/download ... 0b.r10.zip

tommei
Recruit

Post by tommei » 2003-05-02 09:21:28

Ooops...it seems that I got the numbering of missions wrong in the last couple of post. Sorry about that. Now you sure the war looper in mission #138 Eternal Star is OK? That mission feels way too hard with all those tanks just rolling in one after another.

Snake_Man

Post by Snake_Man » 2003-05-02 13:28:48

Ooops...it seems that I got the numbering of missions wrong in the last couple of post. Sorry about that.
Heh no problemos, you can just say the mission name. The numbering is bit weird as one of the (unnamed for plot reasons) mission does have 6 "extra" missions included which use same mission number.
Now you sure the war looper in mission #138 Eternal Star is OK? That mission feels way too hard with all those tanks just rolling in one after another.
No it was not :)

Now its tweaked down so you dont get that many enemies. Also there is added artillery and airstrikes, no REAL airstrikes as never seen before in this campaign. You must call these from radio and then click on the map for the target position. Another bug was that the apache which was called to support you - never arrived.

If you can, could you report back in after playing this about your feeling does the arty and airstrike make the balance too much favour of US side, or does the Ruskies still roam over you.

Sigh, I hope you didn't spend too much time trying to fight off the Russians as it indeed was quite difficult if not entirely impossible.

Thank you for another good beta report. Mission is now fixed.

http://www.pmctactical.org/ofp/download ... 0b.r11.zip

tommei
Recruit

Post by tommei » 2003-05-06 17:04:33

Hello again.
Tried over Eternal Star a couple of times. Is the war looper still there? All I get is about 3 T-72´s and 2 BMP´s attacking with a small group of infantry. The vehicles are easily picked off by the AH-64´s. The infantry is no match for artillery, airstrikes and my squad. After I´ve taken them out there doesn´t seem to be much happening. Is this where the mission is supposed to end?
Is the end trigger in the next mission Proud Eagle OK? I´ve captured the ruins and defeated the russian counter attack but the mission won´t end.

Snake_Man

Post by Snake_Man » 2003-05-07 02:35:16

Hello again.
Tried over Eternal Star a couple of times. Is the war looper still there?
Its the same basically but tweaked bit.
All I get is about 3 T-72´s and 2 BMP´s attacking with a small group of infantry. After I´ve taken them out there doesn´t seem to be much happening. Is this where the mission is supposed to end?
No. There should be more stuff coming at your way, but this is another trigger issue... some east unit whimps out and hides in the cave like Osama and therefore the trigger thinks - Ah Ha, there is fierce and brave fighting going on since we have X amount of russians counted for :)
Is the end trigger in the next mission Proud Eagle OK?
Another hiding russian, The trigger is now fixed to count if reinforcements are either 1) dead or 2) all fleeing.

I hope that helps. Again I appreciate you (guys) testing this junk, send me those bug reports/comments and I'll try to do my best to fix stuff.

http://www.pmctactical.org/ofp/download ... 0b.r12.zip

tommei
Recruit

Post by tommei » 2003-05-14 14:11:07

Tataa again. Is everything OK with mission Intense Ivan? I find myself as nr. 9 in the squad and my team leader just stands there with the rest of the squad.

Snake_Man

Post by Snake_Man » 2003-05-14 19:38:49

Is everything OK with mission Intense Ivan? I find myself as nr. 9 in the squad and my team leader just stands there with the rest of the squad.
Argh sorry about that. How could I've forgot such lame testing setup in my saved mission :)

Okay fixed along with some more support for US side on the artillery and airstrikes. Use the wisely.

http://www.pmctactical.org/ofp/download ... 0b.r13.zip

tommei
Recruit

Post by tommei » 2003-05-16 14:46:12

Maybe the next mission Noble Warrior could also use some further assistance for the nato side. Mission seems very hard if not impossible or then I´m just too crappy a player. ;D

Snake_Man

Post by Snake_Man » 2003-05-16 16:41:31

I'll take a look at it, but in the mean time... any suggestions from you? what would feel realistic/good support asset for the US side?

tommei
Recruit

Post by tommei » 2003-05-17 09:29:02

Hmmm...air support? Perhaps an A-10 or two would balance things up. Another thing might be paradropping a squad behind the enemy lines that would start to work their way towards you.

Snake_Man

Post by Snake_Man » 2003-05-17 11:01:44

I decided to put in artillery, 5 barrages it was if I recall, bravo squad got themselves a M2A2 Bradley. Also there is medics standing by at the city so shout them up if you get wounded.

changelog

May 17th, 2003.
- Big Spoon had west repair truck (yet empty) in Russian base, changed to Ural Repair.
- Added artillery to Noble Warrior, medics and M2A2 for Bravo squad.

http://www.pmctactical.org/ofp/download ... 0b.r14.zip
Last edited by Snake_Man on 1970-01-01 00:00:00, edited 1 time in total.

tommei
Recruit

Post by tommei » 2003-05-18 17:45:03

The fast roping in Ninjas Gold doesn´t seem to work. I just get thrown out of the chopper and and killed hitting the ground.

Snake_Man

Post by Snake_Man » 2003-05-19 06:46:02

The fast roping in Ninjas Gold doesn´t seem to work.
In my v1.91 it runs fine, just tried it out three times and no problems here.

What OFP version do you run?

tommei
Recruit

Post by tommei » 2003-05-20 04:48:16

Well I´m using 1.91 also. I do have a no-cd patch though so maybe that is where the problem lies. What happens is I get the "get ready" and "ropes out" messages but after that, slam, I hit the ground. Is there supposed to be an animation or the ropes falling down from the chopper or am I to do something just before the fast roping happens?

Snake_Man

Post by Snake_Man » 2003-05-20 09:13:46

Well I´m using 1.91 also. I do have a no-cd patch though
Well that makes no difference, 1.91 is 1.91
Is there supposed to be an animation or the ropes falling down from the chopper or am I to do something just before the fast roping happens?
No animation, nothing needs to be done. Just sit in the blackhawk waiting to "fall" down. I believe the guys are coming down from the helo guns on their back in the "safe" stand mode and indeed they start to like tip over just before hitting the ground.

When on ground the AI guys pop out their guns and seem to be on Danger/Aware mode again, you as a player (well me as player in the three tests I did) just snap into the ground still in "safe" mode gun on the back.

Actually the story behind that mission first was to meet with the Black Ops (your old buddy from Everon hehe) in the forest, they hand you a Russian high ranking prisoner which you take custody and transport to extraction site where blackhawk will extract you. I believe my OFP version was somewhere between 1.46 and 1.85 or so when the East unit in West vehicle caused the vehicle driver to abandon his vehicle, now this totally scrapped the mission idea and I had to do the stupid "here is supplies" thing instead.

Now that the east on west vehicle does work, I might re-edit the mission to infact have that POW transfer process. If the fast rope really gives a problems to people (I'll ask few other guys to test it too) then I'll remove it and use normal insertion somewhere else. But I do remember that in these neck of the woods in Kolgujev there ain't many solid helo landing sites available and I dont want to use same insert/extract site twice.

I'll get back to you on that fast rope working on other people...

Snake_Man

Post by Snake_Man » 2003-05-21 18:47:18

New revision of our beloved beta is out, here is the details of the changes

changelog

May 21th, 2003.
- Quick Horizon, briefing and map said Bravo squad, was in fact Charlie. Fixed.
- Beach Sweep, briefing orders part had hyperlink missing, fixed.
- Hostage Rescue helicopter takeoff/waypoints, fixed.
- More Talk helicopter takeoff/waypoints, fixed.
- Recon, the "damage" variable error (you know 1.75+ changes) was fixed.
- Unnamed mission (plot reasons) tweaks...
- removed pmc_fury.jpg entry from about 70 overview.html files.
- Sins missions AT capability and ending triggers tweaked.
- Decisive Eagle air assets, enemy opposition and ending triggers tweaked.
- Fallen Bear ending trigger tweaked.
- Rapid hope second objective status fixed, helo landing & radio call tweaked.
- Ammo cache radiocall tweaked, secondary objective added.
- Desert Justice, did some CAS tweaks, enemy inf still dangerous...

Download the 1.6mb zip from here.
http://www.pmctactical.org/ofp/download ... 0b.r15.zip

Reacher
1st Lt

Post by Reacher » 2003-06-02 18:06:23

Snake, I just finished Ranger Path and have loaded up Vers. 15 of Fury. I'm starting with the new missions, (61 +). I will let you know if I run into any bugs. I'll keep better notes this time on anything I run into. ;)

Going back later to try Path again later... Great campaign

Reacher

Snake_Man

Post by Snake_Man » 2003-06-07 20:55:47

New version of PMC Fury has been uploaded, take a note that the zip package was changed to rar this time. We changed it because the zipped one was 1.6mb while the rarred packet is only 938kb... much less for download.

changelog

Jun 7th, 2003. v1.0b rev 16
- Night Watch, found CTD bug if player doesn't "win" the mission, fixed.

download from here:
http://www.pmctactical.org/ofp/download ... 0b.r16.rar

Snake_Man

Post by Snake_Man » 2003-06-14 23:09:22

New version has been added to the download page. This time only minor fix in the old missions.

changelog

Jun 15th, 2003. v1.0b rev 17
- Recon, some script tweaks. Should be now fully v1.91 compatible.

Download from here
http://www.pmctactical.org/ofp/download ... 0b.r17.rar

Reacher
1st Lt

Post by Reacher » 2003-06-24 05:01:17

Snake, I ran into an issue today on a mission that, for the life of me, I can't remember the name! lol... I told you I'd start making notes, but hell, I forgot.

Anyway, me and the team had to knock out a Shilka first, then a lone chopper would show up and work over about 4 or 5 T-80's and 4 or 5 T-72's, then we would take the fort. Well, got the Shilka, no problem there, but when the chopper showed up, he lasted about as long as a fart in a whirlwind and was shot down. This left about 80% of the tanks still very active. On top of all of this, there weren't enough rockets to take care of all this, plus, there were no satchels or mines.

I ended up using the last rocket, then started bombing the T-72's with hand grenades. (Don't laugh, it worked.) But it took me forever to complete this mission. I would guess it would be about 35 or 40 missions into the new campaign. I'll take a look when I fire it back up and see what the name was.

Having fun with this, but would have a helluva lot more if you would put some weapons in those damn boxes! ;)

Reacher

Snake_Man

Post by Snake_Man » 2003-06-24 22:18:46

the chopper showed up, he lasted about as long as a fart in a whirlwind and was shot down.
What type of helicopter and shot down by what?

Mission name wouldn't hurt either ;)

Reacher
1st Lt

Post by Reacher » 2003-06-24 22:47:19

well, to be honest, I never saw much of the chopper since he didn't last very long, (I believe it was a Cobra), but I did get the name of the mission: Armour Wall. And it is about #60, so I missed all the way around.

To be honest, having to search for rockets while ducking soldiers and tanks was fun... Trying to figure out a way to get the T-72's to move away from the ammo truck was a chore. When the mission ended, I had exhausted all the Grenades and most of the hand-grenades.

I'm enjoying your campaign. I do wish we had just a little more in the way of weapon selection. :)

thanks for your efforts.

Reacher

Reacher
1st Lt

Post by Reacher » 2003-07-07 03:53:16

Snake, I just tried to run the Eternal Star Mission, and I'm not sure I understand how to do it. This is the mission where I can call in artillery or an airstrike. Supposedly I can also specify where I want 2 choppers to patrol.

I cannot get any of it to work. Perhaps I don't know how to enter the coordinates I keep getting asked for? Not sure. There is no laser designator to use.

The briefing was a little short on explaining how to use the artillery and airstrikes. Of course I could just be dense and didn't understand it.

Only 2 tanks show up, they're killed by the choppers, then 1 officer and 2 soldiers are seen wandering around the woods at 500 meters. After that, nothing happens. I'm not sure if I'm supposed to stay and defend the base or go out on patrol. :-/

I gotta say, this is a confusing mission to me. :(

Thanks
Reacher
PS- the last few missions have been kick-ass. Very difficult to complete without losing some of the squad members. I've enjoyed them.

Snake_Man

Post by Snake_Man » 2003-07-07 04:38:28

I don't know how to enter the coordinates I keep getting asked for?
Use radio to select Arty or Airstrike, then use Map view to click on the map where you want the called asset to be deployed.

The Airstrike is A-10 with dumb bombs, it flies from somewhere N, NE I think so align the target pointer bit to the N, NE of your intended target so the bombs fall dead center.

Arty is shelling where you click the map.

You'll see clear target marker and additional radio messages when the asset is called succesfully.
I'm not sure if I'm supposed to stay and defend the base or go out on patrol.
Stay and defend the base. Dunno how it plays out but if you get stuck with no enemies, I'm afraid you should restart then...

Reacher
1st Lt

Post by Reacher » 2003-07-07 12:48:02

Use radio to select Arty or Airstrike, then use Map view to click on the map where you want the called asset to be deployed.

Snake, I did do that a couple of times, but again, nothing happened. I went to map view and just left mouse-clicked on the area I wanted shelled. The red circled "X" showed up, but nothing else. I'm going to restart the mission and try it again.

Reacher

Reacher
1st Lt

Post by Reacher » 2003-07-12 04:52:46

After restarting the mission, I tried the artillery and it worked just fine. The airstrike never did work. It would place the marker on the map, but nobody in a plane or chopper would show up.

The two regular choppers would move wherever you wanted them to be, but they were out of ammo, (except machine gun).

The artillery is a nice bit of programming!

Reacher

Reacher
1st Lt

Post by Reacher » 2003-07-12 04:59:42

I just finished the mission, "Intense Ivan" and ran into some problems. First, I was able to find a T-72 and an Abrams that both needed repair. I took the repair truck and repaired them both and waited for the second wave of attack.

When the T-80's and T-72's started arriving, I noticed that I could fire the tank cannon, but it took almost a minute to reload! And that was in the Abrams! Is that something you programmed into the mission to discourage using abandoned, damaged tanks or what? It was useless to have the Abrams since it took forever to reload shells. (Both tanks were completely repaired and in good shape.)

Also, after my third try to knock out all those tanks that arrive, (after you think everything is done :) ), The tanks did not arrive and I got the message that the mission had been completed. You might want to check out that mission. The artillery worked perfect, the airstrike actually happened, (only once.)

Really good mission, tough as hell... but you'll need a good puter' to run this one... lots of lag due to all that's going on.

Is it me, or are these damn missions getting much harder?? :)
(I Love it)

Reacher

Reacher
1st Lt

Post by Reacher » 2003-07-15 06:14:29

More Bugs:

Mission: Bright Horizon
Bug: 2 minutes after the missions starts, I nail the Russian chopper and the mission ends right there. I was supposed to be laying mines protecting the base that night from intruders.

No such thing occurred. Chopper destroyed, Mission over.

Mission: Steel Convoy
Bug: The tank Convoy will not trigger. (Yes, I laid mines and satchles waiting for them.) I Waited forever for the convoy to arrive. Finally got pissed off and just ran up the road and there they sat... I even sent a mortar their way trying to bait them to start, but they never even returned fire.

Starting to see more and more bugs, some very minor, but the two I've listed here I consider major.

Any updates forthcoming?

thanks

Reacher

Snake_Man

Post by Snake_Man » 2003-07-17 00:48:14

More Bugs:
Any updates forthcoming?
Currently I'm trying to make ending overview cutscenes to PMC Command Campaign, but I'll try to take a look at these mentioned Fury missions.

Keep reporting if you find any more bugs.

The_Avon_Lady
Recruit

Post by The_Avon_Lady » 2003-07-23 13:09:36

Just started playing the R17 beta.

Smoke & Mirrors - first objective should read something like "Destroy fuel truck and get back on board ship". Also, the ship should remain at the exact point where it was at mission start, with engines off. The moment you get back on board, that's when the objective should be checked and the mission completed. I found the boat right up against a steep cliff. It was so slow trying to head out to sea that I had to use 4x time acceleration to end the mission. That should be unnecessary.

Martime Thunder: Spelling: personnel
Spelling: Russian (always a capital "R")

Vigilant Anvil: Give the player a few extra seconds by equipping the AIs with AA's before the mission starts and not making us go get them from the truck. I took them from the truck, forgetting they have to take the actual missiles too. So my team shot down no choppers. Also, the mission completed successfully, though there was still at least one MI24 flying overhead.

Distant Haven: After Vigilant Anvil, the beach looks clean enough for tourist season. Needs some wrecks, smoldering vehicle, some hospital tents, medics, wounded, troops walking around, sheet covered bodies, etc. Also, the LSTs off shore are so close to Cancun and the houses that troops on board could do the work.
Last edited by The_Avon_Lady on 1970-01-01 00:00:00, edited 1 time in total.
The Avon Lady
MPO: theavonlady@theavonlady.org
INTEL: THE OFP FAQ

Reacher
1st Lt

Post by Reacher » 2003-07-25 15:41:22

Snake:

I don't want this to come across as critcism of what you've done or what you're doing for the OFP community by providing some very good campaigns. But I would like to suggest that the PMC Fury missions need some serious spicing up.

Currently, I am on mission: "CLEAR SABRE" and am noticing a lot of repetition of missions. Not that this isn't real life in the military, but it seems that I'm fighting the same battles each time now.

I would suggest that the missions need some serious additions of other things to do. Steal tanks, sabotage missions, ambush missions, steal choppers, rescue missions, etc.

What would be wrong with offering an M-21 occassionally instead of forcing the player to find the enemy sniper, (usually in all missions), and having to detour from the mission ops just to snag a crappy Dragonov? In one particular mission I wanted an M-21 SO BAD that I shot one of our own sniper support team members just to get the opportunity to use the M21 in that particular mission! :) Some missions just call for a sniper rifle!

Why is there virtually no weapon selection? Yes, we can usually get what we want from dead Ruskies, but who wants to use their stuff all the time?

I realize you're trying to keep the size of the mission files down for downloading purposes, but at the expense of the mission quality?

No offense meant, but I'm becoming bored with Fury. That doesn't mean I'll stop running the missions, as I'd like to get to the end. I'm just offer some suggestions to spice up the missions and give a little more variety to the player.

Fury offers a lot of gameplay (missions), unlike any campaign I've ever run. But when the missions continually involve the same theme the sheer number of missions to play can become tiresome.

I offer this only as constructive criticism as when this mission beta is finalized and put out as a finished product, I'd like to see it really stand out as a top-notch campaign!

My apologies if this sounded overly critical, I just wanted to be honest in my assessment of the campaign as I'm experiencing it. On a positive note, the bugs seem to have disappeared over the past 9 missions that I've run.

Reacher

Snake_Man

Post by Snake_Man » 2003-07-25 16:07:18

I would suggest that the missions need some serious additions of other things to do.  Steal tanks, sabotage missions, ambush missions, steal choppers, rescue missions, etc.
Whole concept of PMC Fury is BIS standard units with basic infantry grunt action. Thats why there is no weird missions which makes you like lets say fly helicopter or drive a tank.
Why is there virtually no weapon selection?
I just never got around to add them, but that is written for my suggestions list.
My apologies if this sounded overly critical, I just wanted to be honest in my assessment of the campaign as I'm experiencing it.
No apologies necessary. If there is choice between truth and lies, I'll take slap in the face much rather than tongue in the ass.

Reacher
1st Lt

Post by Reacher » 2003-07-25 17:23:08

Thanks, Snake... I was worried that my post might be taken the wrong way. (No slapping was meant :) )

Ok, I'd settle for weapon selection.

That's strange, since BIS introduced us to missions that, if the opportunity arose, soldiers could drive tanks or fly choppers... all in an effort to complete a mission. Is that real world military? Nah, I guess not. Not many privates could fly a chopper under any circumstances. Maybe drive a tank but not a chopper.

I guess my point is to add some diversity to the missions. One thing I will say to your credit, you don't have to hike all over the map to find action! Just start the mission, then hang on to your hat.

Some of my favorite missions involve ambushing convoys. Placing explosives at just the right spots to eliminate key elements of the convoy... knowing that if you don't get them with the charges, your platoon is toast.

Thanks for the response, Snake!

Reacher

The_Avon_Lady
Recruit

Post by The_Avon_Lady » 2003-07-27 15:46:29

Mission Steel Warror would not end. There wasn't an enemy in site anywhere. Went to 4x time acceleration and ran around everywhere but no shots fired and nothing spotted.
The Avon Lady

Reacher
1st Lt

Post by Reacher » 2003-07-27 18:21:43

Mission: Red Sniper

When the chopper dropped us off at the insertion point, it was about 2 minutes later when Alpha Black reported that they had located the snipers. Another 2 minutes later, they reported that the snipers had been destroyed... Mission over.

Hmmm? I wish they were all this easy! :) But I'm going to assume that this is a bug?

Reacher

The_Avon_Lady
Recruit

Post by The_Avon_Lady » 2003-07-28 12:41:54

Mission Shepherd: one russian infantryman standing in position NE of the crosroad in mid-field held up mission end. Took me quite a while to find him.

edit:

Mission Decisive Flash: just to report I much enjoyed it. ;)
Last edited by The_Avon_Lady on 1970-01-01 00:00:00, edited 1 time in total.
The Avon Lady