Getting WRP Files in to Armed Assault/Config/Tutorial

ArmA editing, missions, modeling, textures, terrains

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

Big_Ben
Recruit

Getting WRP Files in to Armed Assault/Config/Tutorial

Post by Big_Ben » 2008-08-08 07:55:58

If you are having problems or are new to making maps for Armed Assault then this may be a place to look for some answers. If you know how to get OFPR maps in to AA and have information to help please post it here. If you know how to HEX edit and would like to offer any help post it here. I've been talking to Snake Man for a few days now, and I didn't have too much more to ask him, so I'm asking the community for anyone who has time to help to please help.

I've been off the internet since around September or Novemeber of last year. In that time things have changed. I've read almost every post, and there is a lot of great info, but when it comes to an idiot's guide to making a map, or changes in the Config, I haven't found it. I don't want to tie up Snake Man much longer. He is busy too. I'd like to try to round up all the information on getting maps in to AA either by starting new, or by porting it from OFPR. After it's all been found I'd like to get it in to a tutorial that is as easy to understand as it was for OFPR. I hope to get some constructive comments from the community.

Because of work, I don't know what times I will actually be home, but I will check everyday and try to add what I can when I find it. Thanks everyone! It feels Great to be back on!!! :twisted:

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief
Gaming Interests: ArmA, ArmA 2, Falcon 4.0 and OFP.
Editing Interests: All, I (try) to edit everything.

Post by Snake Man » 2008-08-08 12:42:02

So after reading the ArmA WRP tutorial, what sort of specific questions do you still have?
PMC Tactical Forum New User Registration please read new info here.

PMC since 1984

Editing knowledge, visit PMC Editing Wiki
The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage
View our videos in PMC Youtube channel

PMC Tactical forum Advanced Search is power.

"ALPHA BLACK TO PAPA BEAR. ALL RUSSIANS ARE TOAST. OVER."

Big_Ben
Recruit

Post by Big_Ben » 2008-08-13 05:57:43

After doing some reading, and seeing what my Startgate Universe maps look like in AA, I thought I would try to get the actual elevations in game. No dice. I can get the elevations in game, but not the single texture from your example. This is what I did.

I copied the wrp file that has the correct height elevations with no objects from OFP and replaced the wrp file you sent me back, and made a new pbo. I got no texture. I didn't change the config at all. What you sent works fine, but I'm not sure what a bak file is. Is it a backup wrp file?

Also is the single texture over the entire map? If it is can the wrp file just be changed like I did, or do I need to add it to the config? The place for each planet is the same as what I sent you. I thought it would work, but it didn't. I'm trying to follow this step by step, but I think I'm still not getting it right:

viewtopic.php?t=21143

I just tried to replace the wrp file, because everything is in the same place, but what I sent you was just the flat template. The other thing I noticed was there was a lot of open water all the way around my maps. Is that just an AA thing, or is there more room to add to it? If not that's fine, because this is still huge.

I'm going to try to make a small single island to make sure I understand every step then I'll go back to see about adding the elevations. I'll get back to you if I have problems.

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2008-08-13 06:37:13

Big_Ben wrote:I copied the wrp file that has the correct height elevations with no objects from OFP and replaced the wrp file you sent me back, and made a new pbo. I got no texture.
You need to hex edit the texture into the wrp file. All explained in the tutorial.
I'm not sure what a bak file is. Is it a backup wrp file?
Yes, you can delete it.
Also is the single texture over the entire map?
Yes.
there was a lot of open water all the way around my maps. Is that just an AA thing, or is there more room to add to it?
You need to extend the elevations into the edge of the map, then it extrudes the terrain to infinity.

Edit: I added now page to the wiki: PMC Editing Wiki: Extrude Terrain.

PMC since 1984

The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage

Big_Ben
Recruit

Post by Big_Ben » 2008-08-17 00:20:58

You need to hex edit the texture into the wrp file. All explained in the tutorial.
This is what I found using the Ultra Edit program.
http://img210.imagevenue.com/img.php?im ... _418lo.JPG

http://img243.imagevenue.com/img.php?im ... _133lo.JPG
In these images I did the search for the .pa extension, and this is where it placed me.

I didn't see any .pa extension. If I hit the "Find Next" tab under search it only moved me like 1 space next to the highlighted one. The 2C is highlighted, and the next time I clicked Find Next it went to 16 in the same line. Am I looking for the "." and not the ".pa"? Please excuse my non understanding of hex editing. I'm well outside of my comfort zone in this area. I'm placing my head on the chopping block for the good of others....I hope.

Is the 51km wrp file the largest working wrp file size that won't crash? I tried the 102km and the 204km island, and as stated in another topic they do crash quite often. I only want to work with the 51km size maps as long as they don't crash.

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2008-08-17 06:25:51

Big_Ben wrote:In these images I did the search for the .pa extension, and this is where it placed me. I didn't see any .pa extension.
Well of course you need to add one texture for the whole terrain first in WrpTool. I'm usually adding just the O\b1 texture.
Is the 51km wrp file the largest working wrp file size that won't crash? I tried the 102km and the 204km island, and as stated in another topic they do crash quite often.
102km and 204km terrains crash quickly if you fly helos in the north east corner (not necessarily "corner") but area of the map, it could be said that you're safe from crashed only in south-west corner. That is the experience I've gotten when trying out those.

PMC since 1984