Any news on porting Flashpoint missions to ArmA?

ArmA editing, missions, modeling, textures, terrains

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

The-Architect
1st Lt

Post by The-Architect » 2008-03-23 12:49:02

PROPER.Q
Recruit

Post by PROPER.Q » 2008-04-05 07:25:36

Can you into more details please. What are you interested in?

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief
Gaming Interests: ArmA, ArmA 2, Falcon 4.0 and OFP.
Editing Interests: All, I (try) to edit everything.

Post by Snake Man » 2008-04-05 07:54:44

Not sure about news, but the basic classnames string change should be easy to make with these various utils available for string replace tasks. PowerGREP is good util for automated process, but even using util like UltraEdit is nice, heck even notepad works for manual job.

I am not sure about all the classnames, like is it just the unit names what are changed, how about triggers (sensors) and such things like radio's, are those same in OFP and ArmA, no idea.

I did convert few missions so far, but honestly I cant remember what I changed since it was OFP MOD to ArmA MOD change (VTE infact). But roughly I would say that the triggers and usual stuff is the same in OFP and ArmA. Of course complex missions with SQS scripts is a bitch then.

Hmm this post is not much help, yeah I know :)
PMC Tactical Forum New User Registration please read new info here.

PMC since 1984

Editing knowledge, visit PMC Editing Wiki
The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage
View our videos in PMC Youtube channel

PMC Tactical forum Advanced Search is power.

"ALPHA BLACK TO PAPA BEAR. ALL RUSSIANS ARE TOAST. OVER."

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief
Gaming Interests: ArmA, ArmA 2, Falcon 4.0 and OFP.
Editing Interests: All, I (try) to edit everything.

Post by Snake Man » 2008-04-19 12:46:55

Triggers (sensors), Radios and Gamelogic's all seem to be the same classnaming in OFP and ArmA, so there is no problems.

Just yesterday I ported over several missions from OFP VTE to ArmA VTE. It was merely copying the mission dir into my users dir, then initially porting over init.sqs to init.sqf as that is usually very short script. Then I loaded the mission first time in ArmA and the errors started to pour in. Mostly it was missing OFP classnames which I had to remove or change, mostly I did for just changing like missing CoC Unified Artiller pieces to "Barrels" classname, then when I finally got the mission loaded, I just deleted these Barrels or changed them to the ArmA artillery pieces. Other classnames are always up to the mission, you just need to work your way through them either by just deleting them or changing them to ArmA counterparts.

For starters the biggest thing is to get the mission loading in the mission editor. When the mission is loaded and you can preview it, you will most likely start to get errors from those SQS scripts or the other OFP style mission making. It really comes down to how complex the mission is, if its very simple one you have not much work to do, but complex missions are harded to downright impossible to port (at least 1:1 scale).

For example right now I'm looking into the Tour of Duty by Baqel missions tour1.sqs porting into SQF, now that is 1800 lines long web of spaghetti goto/loop mess. That feels like almost impossible to port, its so difficult to put into sqf terms :)

You can run those sqs scripts in ArmA too, I got one of my missions to run which has long sqs script, there was couple of items that had to be changed but then it worked ok. That is a good start, once you have the mission loaded you can then start to tweak the smaller details like sqs to sqf conversions.

Anyways, when I get some real examples I'll try to post them here so they might help someone porting missions.
PMC Tactical Forum New User Registration please read new info here.

PMC since 1984

Editing knowledge, visit PMC Editing Wiki
The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage
View our videos in PMC Youtube channel

PMC Tactical forum Advanced Search is power.

"ALPHA BLACK TO PAPA BEAR. ALL RUSSIANS ARE TOAST. OVER."