for the sound guys

ArmA editing, missions, modeling, textures, terrains

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

Bigpickle
Recruit

for the sound guys

Post by Bigpickle » 2007-10-17 13:00:19

found a link on armaholics forum about sound importing, basically it says that don't use OGG sounds because they take a while for the game to decompress and appear choppy and cut, use WSS format, this is the best.

Hope that helps

Bp

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief
Gaming Interests: ArmA, ArmA 2, Falcon 4.0 and OFP.
Editing Interests: All, I (try) to edit everything.

Post by Snake Man » 2007-10-17 13:28:58

Yeah I have been using WSS on all those addon sounds, music tracks are the only ones left ogg.

btw moved your topic to editing as this has nothing to do with VTE.
PMC Tactical Forum New User Registration please read new info here.

PMC since 1984

Editing knowledge, visit PMC Editing Wiki
The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage
View our videos in PMC Youtube channel

PMC Tactical forum Advanced Search is power.

"ALPHA BLACK TO PAPA BEAR. ALL RUSSIANS ARE TOAST. OVER."

anzacsas
Major

Post by anzacsas » 2007-10-17 14:26:26

Thx Bigpickle,
I never liked the ogg format,now i got a good reason to be rid of em once and for all lol.

Btw I only started to notice in Arma the last value in the sound parameter(soundhit,soundengine etc ) is for the lenght of time the sample runs for. I never really had to play with this value alot but now I see how i have had some problems getting some sounds to work in the past.

hint 1-

Agood way to test volumes of weapons is to put yourself about 50meters away from a firefight and listen to which sound is obviuosly too loud .Repeat this for distances from 50m anywhere upto 1klm away.Some sounds wont seem too loud close but you can hear it 1klm away like its next to you.

hint 2-

sounds that are too loud will lose its "stereo image".(meaning if you close your eyes and hear the sound you should be able to tell roughly how far and what direction you are to the sound source i.e gunsound)

hint 3-

Sounds that are too loud can cause FPS loss And even possible CTDs.
Last edited by anzacsas on 2007-11-23 06:14:50, edited 1 time in total.

anzacsas
Major

Post by anzacsas » 2007-11-09 15:15:02

Hi all,

I thought i would update this thread as i have recently been playn with some sounds and have realised what the last parameter in the sound/s line in the config does .

e.g.

sound[] = {"\anzacsound\M1911.wav", 2, 1.1};

The 1.1 value is the speed at which the sound
file is played.Not always will the Game play the sound file at the same speed that the software that you are using to preview does.

The default sounds either use a 1.0 or 1.1l value generally.This is fine for most sounds, but for if your sounds seem to be a little odd you will need to alter this value.

anzacsas
Major

Post by anzacsas » 2007-11-22 15:44:12

Hi everyone,

Just thought of another tip for mixing ingame levels/sounds.

The quickest way of getting the right sound level for gun sounds etc is to listen to "your sound" ingame and compare it to a default sound.

i.e m16a2.

Use this default weapon/sound as a reference for setting the levels of any new sound that you bring into the game.
Doing this should keep all your sound levels in the optimum operating ranges.Though it will still take a while.

A good "mix" isnt achieved overnight so take some time,be patient and be prepared to make small changes over an extended time.

A good sound '"mix" should sound like a "wall of sound" when all hell breaks loose.

And of course have fun creating your "Symphony of War".