Ordering AI to target a specific thing/place

ArmA editing, missions, modeling, textures, terrains

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

T_Rex
FreeFalcon

Ordering AI to target a specific thing/place

Post by T_Rex » 2007-10-10 21:34:46

Hello,

Complete noob to ArmA editing/mission making here. :)

I have an idea for a mission, but the AI has to target a specific thing or location. Specifically, I need a helo to target a small building. I haven't tried anything yet, but wanted to see if anyone already had the answer.

What I'm considering doing is identifying the structure, or the soldier in the building, then using the doTarget or commandtarget command, followed by the commandfire/dofire command.

I also considered making a marker "under" the building and trying to get the AI to fire at that.

The weapon of choice would be rockets in this case, but I'm open to suggestions.

TIA. :)

T
Sic Semper tyrannosauro.

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief
Gaming Interests: ArmA, ArmA 2, Falcon 4.0 and OFP.
Editing Interests: All, I (try) to edit everything.

Post by Snake Man » 2007-10-10 22:18:35

In the early days of OFP editing I tried those dotarget and dofire command and found them totally useless. But what do I know, including how the engine works nowadays. There is no direct way of getting it done, it requires perhaps some heavy scripting to do it.

You could of course start by trying out the method that you name the unit in the building and use the dotarget command.

Another method is to use the invisible target addon which indeed works pretty good, but... is an addon, which in many cases causes trouble as using such thing would break otherwise "no addons required" mission or something similar.
PMC Tactical Forum New User Registration please read new info here.

PMC since 1984

Editing knowledge, visit PMC Editing Wiki
The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage
View our videos in PMC Youtube channel

PMC Tactical forum Advanced Search is power.

"ALPHA BLACK TO PAPA BEAR. ALL RUSSIANS ARE TOAST. OVER."