Im sure this has been asked a million times but i am just looking
for a confirmation.

I loved WRPtool and miss using it

Thanks

Wedge
www.ic-arma.com

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief
Gaming Interests: ArmA, ArmA 2, Falcon 4.0 and OFP.
Editing Interests: All, I (try) to edit everything.

Post by Snake Man » 2007-08-23 22:57:52

Okay hehe, I compiled your cryptic post with the topic to a question are PMC going to create WrpTool for ArmA? Well remains to be seen, Visitor 3 has been out for so little time and beyond that I have not had time to do anything with it yet so I cant tell if its good or bad.

If Visitor 3 is as shitty as Visitor 2 was for OFP, then yes there is a need for better terrain editor, but lets take one step at the time. In other words I am not going to give any official statements one way or the other ;)
PMC Tactical Forum New User Registration please read new info here.

PMC since 1984

Editing knowledge, visit PMC Editing Wiki
The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage
View our videos in PMC Youtube channel

PMC Tactical forum Advanced Search is power.

"ALPHA BLACK TO PAPA BEAR. ALL RUSSIANS ARE TOAST. OVER."

wedge
Recruit

Post by wedge » 2007-09-28 13:00:47

Ok lol

Ive spent 2 weeks with visitor and i spent the whole time wishing i was using WRP tool.

PLEASE MAKE A WRP TOOL ARMA!! lol

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2007-09-28 13:14:22

Hehe I hear you.

I did some testing, after few attempts of "blind shot in the dark" I managed to get the satellite texture layer to work. I as everyone by now should know I'm a big fan of large islands, so I created 102km and 204km "Native Visitor 3" islands using 2048x2048 cells with 100m cell size etc. I used small texture layer size of 2048x2048 pixels and then 12800x12800 (which CWR team I believe is using for their 12km islands) and the results were like bunch of outmeal on the ground, yuck.

So unless I'm proven wrong, the official BIS visitor 3 satellite texture layer method of doing islands is insane, yes you CAN create beautiful terrain texturing with it, but the job is insane and the island PBO size will be really insane because of the gazillion 512x512 resolution textures.

At the moment I'm not big fan of MAKING & DOWNLOADING these Visitor 3 islands :)

And to answer your question more directly, no I have no plans at the moment to upgrade WrpTool for few reasons; the new WRP and P3D ODOL file structure and is not fully know yet (altough Synide has done great job for the P3Ds) and is it really worth to support satellite layer system is still to be judged...

But of course we'll keep our options open and see how the community/tools develop.

PMC since 1984

The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage

Gnat
1st Lt

Post by Gnat » 2007-09-29 04:28:39

Then could the WrpTool team consider making a couple of simple (maybe) tools;
a) Tool reads an OFP Wrp file and outputs 1) XY file and/or 2) Greyscale PNG
b) Tool reads an OFP Wrp file and outputs 1) A "key" map of texture squares and/or 2) a large compiled PNG that is made up of the Texture Tiles layed in the right combination and/or 3) a simple layer map representing the texture types.

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2007-09-29 04:43:00

Gnat wrote:a) Tool reads an OFP Wrp file and outputs 1) XY file and/or 2) Greyscale PNG
Yes actually I want to do OFP WRP terrain -> XYZ (wilbur save) converter and OFP WRP objects -> txt (visitor3 objects import) converter.
b) Tool reads an OFP Wrp file and outputs 1) A "key" map of texture squares and/or 2) a large compiled PNG that is made up of the Texture Tiles layed in the right combination and/or 3) a simple layer map representing the texture types.
Hmm yeah I see how this could be useful. I'll keep that in mind.

PMC since 1984

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2008-07-31 12:13:52

Its now end of July 2008, nothing has changed in the terrain editing world.

Visitor 3 ArmA native satellite layer texture thingy is still very beautiful ingame on small terrains but it is absolutely bitch to edit and to download. On large terrains it wont work as there is no compromise between low download size and high res ground textures. As I posted above, I tried the large terrain with compromise sized satellite and it looked absolutely awful, big blurr.

People seem to put out just those ridiculous 5km x 5km terrains with high details (no offence guys, but nobody can claim that those sizes are decent for gameplay), nobody has released large terrain with good gameplay details so far. There are the extremes, you either have 5km highly detailed lagging terrain or huge terrain with no objects hehe.

Anyways regarding editing terrains in ArmA, I still use WrpTool and the one texture method. I have no plans to upgrade WrpTool into ArmA satellite layer thingy as... well what I just wrote above? Any enthusiastic terrain editor can tweak the basic WrpTool package to suit ArmA editing a long way (for example ArmA ODOL p3d models for OFP (WrpTool) ODOL format).

PMC since 1984