My way of making seamless tiles

F4Browse, CATE, Tacedit, Terrainview & TheaterMaker etc utility related

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

Polak
Captain

My way of making seamless tiles

Post by Polak » 2009-09-20 00:07:15

Here is short tutorial how I make tiles seamless. What is your way of doing that?
A. Raw tile
B. To make seamless border I use "rotate seamless" ...see those triangles @ border?
C. Now I cut border out of that
D.Finaly I slip any "paddy" looking Google Earth sat photo into that frame and produce new paddy tile.
see the border ( it is being used for all paddy tiles and its transition so choose carefuly as some borders look really bad and some not so ugly...)

here is the result of several paddy tiles with the SAME border bunched together;the common border is shown too .....

Polak
Captain

Re: My way of making seamless tiles

Post by Polak » 2009-09-20 07:05:09

It is important to remember that in making the choice of the material for common border "what is in, goes out". That needs to be coordinated as far as hue, tone and content is concerned .....or the border WILL show up its ugliness in the far away view in the Falcon4 world. This is this difficulty and source of potential frustration tiled terrain in F4 presents to the tile painter. As you can see in the bunch together photo this might be the case here with those fast made example tiles. One may trace this faint grid. It still correctable just requires countless trial and error approach. It is this time consuming and sometime frustrating.... (I think I have mentioned that already :wink: ).
Any other way of doing tiles?

ccc
Chief of Staff

Post by ccc » 2009-09-20 12:35:48

Excellent job.

Last time i saw another tile artist - Ripsaw's new tiles, he uses the same method...the only difference is he leaves a square center area for new graphics.. the transition border is straight line frame.. could be thinner or thicker.

imho your "irregular center part" could provide better irregularity in mixed terrain type. i like it.

derStef
Banned user
Gaming Interests: Falcon 4.0
Editing Interests: Terrains

Post by derStef » 2009-09-20 12:44:32

the last screenshot looks very nice Polak! good job!