Working with tools on a project

F4Browse, CATE, Tacedit, Terrainview & TheaterMaker etc utility related

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief
Gaming Interests: ArmA, ArmA 2, Falcon 4.0 and OFP.
Editing Interests: All, I (try) to edit everything.

Post by Snake Man » 2009-05-14 13:07:47

Its very important that when someone is working on a big project with other people, or on someone's else project, that they coordinate the editing properly. First person should contact the people leading the project and let know he wants to help, his help might be coordinated to the place where it most needed. If person wants to edit specific task but nothing else (cant edit else for example), he should still contact the project leader and tell him that he wants to edit this specific area.

Using the Falcon 4 tools is quite simple. I'll just provide few examples and then you guys can ask more specific questions if I overlooked something etc.

Terrainview

When someone is editing theater.L2 file with terrainview, there is the Operations -> Export regions feature. Choosing this feature will allow you to drag a box around or rather IN the segments you want to export. After you have selected the segments, a dialog comes up which shows you L2C Details, there is Range and Count as well as Comment fields.

Range is the segments from to top left hand corner to the lower right hand corner.

Count is how many segments are included in this area.

Comment is useful to write description of the exported area, its very nice to include as detailed description as possible, like "Fixed kuwait coastline and airbase." for example.

Choosing a filename for the exported segments should be something describing too, like "Taiwan_segments_3_2_to_4_3.l2c" for example.

BTW there is some age old ancient terrainview export help tips (from Balkans theater early days) around somewhere, but I cant find them at the moment, I'll update this text when I'll find them. If anyone knows the posts or docs for them, please let me know.

TacEdit

When adding new objectives directly with Tacedit, one should always use TCL scripts to write the "manuscript" how to lay down the objectives, this work would be never lost then and could be always tweaked over and over again in a simple text file. If you mess up your save .cam file, then you have no other choice than to replace it from backups and start all over again which is much harder work than using TCL's.

What ever method user is using to add new objectives, then the new objectives need to be exported from Tacedit. This is done from Mapview and menu Objectives -> Export Objectives, which exports ALL objectives.

To export only selected area of objective, you can use mouse to drag a box around the area you want to export. In Mapview when you have dragged the box, dialog comes up where you can choose Export Viewed.

All objective exports goes into .CSV file which is pure text file, can be opened with excel and your favorite text editor.

It is possible to export all objectives and then use text editor to pick and choose only the new objectives created, but it must be careful work that right objectives are chosen.

This topic will be updated when the discussion evolves...
PMC Tactical Forum New User Registration please read new info here.

PMC since 1984

Editing knowledge, visit PMC Editing Wiki
The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage
View our videos in PMC Youtube channel

PMC Tactical forum Advanced Search is power.

"ALPHA BLACK TO PAPA BEAR. ALL RUSSIANS ARE TOAST. OVER."