please help a noob here

F4Browse, CATE, Tacedit, Terrainview & TheaterMaker etc utility related

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

bulletkid
Recruit

please help a noob here

Post by bulletkid » 2006-12-14 19:34:41

I'm currently creating a theater and as following the so called "Ultimate Theater Tutorial" i can across this thing, ./procidx1.pl campmap.rsc, what does that mean.

ok, i got Perl installed but still i don't know how to use it, please can anyone teach me please.

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief
Gaming Interests: ArmA, ArmA 2, Falcon 4.0 and OFP.
Editing Interests: All, I (try) to edit everything.

Post by Snake Man » 2006-12-14 20:18:58

Maybe this will help you. Let us know if there is any more problems.

What theater are you creating btw?
PMC Tactical Forum New User Registration please read new info here.

PMC since 1984

Editing knowledge, visit PMC Editing Wiki
The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage
View our videos in PMC Youtube channel

PMC Tactical forum Advanced Search is power.

"ALPHA BLACK TO PAPA BEAR. ALL RUSSIANS ARE TOAST. OVER."

bulletkid
Recruit

Post by bulletkid » 2006-12-15 04:40:26

An Asia Theater, seems to me there's non.

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief
Gaming Interests: ArmA, ArmA 2, Falcon 4.0 and OFP.

Post by Snake Man » 2006-12-15 04:42:21

Umm yeah, there is Vietnam :)
PMC Tactical Forum New User Registration please read new info here.

PMC since 1984

Editing knowledge, visit PMC Editing Wiki
The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage
View our videos in PMC Youtube channel

PMC Tactical forum Advanced Search is power.

"ALPHA BLACK TO PAPA BEAR. ALL RUSSIANS ARE TOAST. OVER."

bulletkid
Recruit

Post by bulletkid » 2006-12-15 04:56:04

ok, really like it says type in the resource directory, I the damn idiot don't understand that, ok so I type in the resource directory as said here it goes..C:\Program Files\Lead Pursuit\Battlefield Operations\art\artAsia\Resource\perl procidx1.pl campmap.idx and an error appear...or do I do it wrong...

ccc
Chief of Staff

Post by ccc » 2006-12-15 05:04:25

what's the theater? asia? WWIII??

Sherlock
Lt. General
Gaming Interests: Falcon 4.0

Post by Sherlock » 2006-12-15 05:55:20

bulletkid wrote:ok, really like it says type in the resource directory, I the damn idiot don't understand that, ok so I type in the resource directory as said here it goes..C:\Program Files\Lead Pursuit\Battlefield Operations\art\artAsia\Resource\perl procidx1.pl campmap.idx and an error appear...or do I do it wrong...
@bulletkid: First of all, you are not a "damn idiot". What you are trying to do is very likely one of the more difficult things you will do in your life. Trust me, I have a undergrad degree in Electrical Engineering and and Masters degree in Industrial Engineering and it took me HOURS and HOURS of reading posts here, at Frugals World and at the FreeFalcon forums (along with posting and asking questions) before I ever began to REALLY understand how new theaters were created. And I still don't understand it all. I am still learning DAILY! :)

Second, based on your post with the directory path of "Lead Pursuit\Battlefield Operations...etc." it is obvious you are trying to build your theater for Lead Pursuit's Falcon 4: Allied Force. You need to be aware that all of the theater building tools here at PMC (with one exception: the most recent addition-"AF_LxNormalFix) were created back several years ago (2000-2003) BEFORE F4:Allied Force existed. Meaning they were not intended to work with Allied Force.

Now...what this means is that your task will be more difficult then if you were building an older Falcon 4.0 SuperPak 4.2 theater (this is the older version of Falcon which came out in 1998, and then was modded by the community with the SuperPak 4.2 modification patch). BUT, your task won't be impossible. Right now there is a group that is slowly bringing the older theaters like Op Desert Storm and Israel into Allied Force. And they work well. We hope to be releasing them very soon, after we finish some more work we need to do on them. So these theaters (based on the older Falcon 4.0) can be made to run in Allied Force.

Rule #1: Copy over your AF installation directory to a safe place and DON"T USE IT FOR MODDING. This is your "better safe than sorry copy". You can use this copy to restore you AF installation back the way it should be WHEN you hose up the installation you are working on. Notice I said "WHEN" and not "IF". ;) You can thank me when it happens and you have this backup to easily restore things with (and it will!).

Ok, I suspect your trouble is that your path to your perl installation is not properly defined in what you are typing. Have you taken the files (campmap.idx and campmap.rsc) you want to unpack and copied them to where your Perl installation is at (where your perl.exe file is situated)? For instance, my ActivePerl installation path to my perl.exe file is this directory: C:\ActivePerl\bin.

I created a folder under the bin directory to put the scripts I wanted to run and the files I wanted to unpack/pack into it. Then I move (using the MS-DOS command window) into the perl directory at C:\ActivePerl\bin.

So my MS-DOS prompt should now look like this: c:\ActivePerl\bin

Then I use the following command to unpack a file (I will use your file example to help you understand):

perl c:\ActivePerl\bin\resource\procidx1.pl c:\ActivePerl\bin\resource\campmap.idx

Do this and I bet it will unpack the resource file. Be careful though because there can be lots of files in those resource files (.rsc) and you will need to reassemble them in one spot when you want to repack/recreate the original .rsc file with your changed files inside of it. So be sure to read the MS-DOS dialog when the perl script runs and jot down notes on which files need to go back into the .rsc file when you repack it. You will also need the .irc file that is created when you unpack your campmap.rsc file. BTW, the .idx file is the index file that defines what is in the .rsc file. They are a pair that must go together. The .irc file describes how to repack the internal files back into a .rsc file, again using the .idx (index) as a reference.

Hope this helps.
Post again if you are still having problems. I think I am the only person who frequents here who is doing theaters for Allied Force but some areas of theater work are the same no matter which version of Falcon the theater is for. I'll be glad to answer what questions I can for you.

Sherlock
Last edited by Sherlock on 2006-12-15 06:19:48, edited 1 time in total.
Sherlock
Victurous te Saluto

bulletkid
Recruit

Post by bulletkid » 2006-12-15 06:07:54

ok so you figured it out I'm making a F4:AF theater. Yeah I making an F4AF South East Asia Theater and guess what, it goes pretty well too, I've make it working untill the main lobby of my theater and so, I'm determined that it will work out perfectly fine. Its quite not so complicated as you think it is...its a present theater anyway, just to make me feel at home.

Sherlock
Lt. General

Post by Sherlock » 2006-12-15 06:21:53

bulletkid wrote:ok so you figured it out I'm making a F4:AF theater. Yeah I making an F4AF South East Asia Theater and guess what, it goes pretty well too, I've make it working untill the main lobby of my theater and so, I'm determined that it will work out perfectly fine. Its quite not so complicated as you think it is...its a present theater anyway, just to make me feel at home.
Glad things are going good for your theater. Have you made theaters before?
Sherlock
Victurous te Saluto

bulletkid
Recruit

Post by bulletkid » 2006-12-15 06:39:52

ok so i understand that part of it where you say I must place the resource folder to c:\perl\bin\(resource folder) but I still don't understand the part where
put the scripts I wanted to run and the files I wanted to unpack/pack into it. Then I move (using the MS-DOS command window) into the perl directory at C:\ActivePerl\bin. do I have to use MS-DOS or something, if so how do I do that.

And well you can say I've tried making a theater before and like always, it worked out fine, untill the part where my eagerness to play, I skip some important things. Im also trying to modelling some things to make it a little bit better, some new planes, if you guys don't really know, you can do that thought you really need sometime like 3 wks to make a model of an aircraft. I must admit, modelling is easy if you really know how to move around and really just move around and it should be fine...no really anyone should try it, but as always, the cost of a single Modelling product cost lets say, more than $900...and I don't have tat kind of money so I use my friends, he gave it to me for lets say, "unknown" reason, I know the reason why though he gave it to me although he didn't tell me so just that it would be so embarrasing... :oops: well just saying its childs play to 3D modelling but thats out of the point...hehe

bulletkid
Recruit

Post by bulletkid » 2006-12-15 06:43:30

sorry, i forget to unquote...

Sherlock
Lt. General

Post by Sherlock » 2006-12-15 06:59:04

bulletkid wrote: ok so i understand that part of it where you say I must place the resource folder to c:\perl\bin\(resource folder) but I still don't understand the part where put the scripts I wanted to run and the files I wanted to unpack/pack into it. Then I move (using the MS-DOS command window) into the perl directory at C:\ActivePerl\bin. do I have to use MS-DOS or something, if so how do I do that.
In order to run ActivePerl you must run it from a MS-DOS Commandline window that looks like this (in Windows XP):

You can open one up by going to the START button, clicking on PROGRAMS, then ACCESSORIES, then COMMAND PROMPT.
Sherlock
Victurous te Saluto

Sherlock
Lt. General

Post by Sherlock » 2006-12-15 07:02:28

bulletkid wrote:ok so i understand that part of it where you say I must place the resource folder to c:\perl\bin\(resource folder) ...
You don't have to move the entire resource folder; in fact, I recommend against it. Just COPY the two files you need to unpack a set (the .rsc and the .idx files). It will be less confusing that way.
Last edited by Sherlock on 2006-12-15 15:34:58, edited 1 time in total.
Sherlock
Victurous te Saluto

bulletkid
Recruit

Post by bulletkid » 2006-12-15 07:12:52

ok I opened up Command Prompt but can't get to C:\, it starts off C:\Documetns and Settings\Bulletkid\
Can't change it to C:\...

Sherlock
Lt. General

Post by Sherlock » 2006-12-15 07:18:22

bulletkid wrote:ok I opened up Command Prompt but can't get to C:\, it starts off C:\Documetns and Settings\Bulletkid\
Can't change it to C:\...
Go here. Learn how to navigate around in the commandline with the top 10 DOS commands. Then you will understand what I said above in my previous post.
Sherlock
Victurous te Saluto

bulletkid
Recruit

Post by bulletkid » 2006-12-15 07:47:44

YAY it worked, thx Sherlock. I needed to use "cd C:" to get to "C:\" haha

Sherlock
Lt. General

Post by Sherlock » 2006-12-15 15:23:24

bulletkid wrote:YAY it worked, thx Sherlock. I needed to use "cd C:" to get to "C:" haha
Glad to hear it! Good job. Keep us informed of how your theater building is going. Post pictures! :) We love to see pictures of new theaters!
Sherlock
Victurous te Saluto

ccc
Chief of Staff

Post by ccc » 2006-12-15 16:05:42

ya screenshots please.

Peled
F4ITDG

Post by Peled » 2006-12-16 15:25:57

bulletkid wrote: Yeah I making an F4AF South East Asia Theater and guess what, it goes pretty well too
Sounds an interesting arena ! G'luck !

What Scenaries ?

Indonesia Vs Malaysia ?

Pics please :)
F4ITDG-Israeli Theater Development Group (retired) .

bulletkid
Recruit

Post by bulletkid » 2006-12-16 15:56:11

got no screenshots since i having a CTD problem after clicking on TE button and so, but the campaign would probably be like crosscountry, or some major training operations like Malaysia, Singapore Indonesia all working togather, to think of it, its pretty much a boring theater since it lacks of conflict (we are a peaceful kind of people) but many much major operation trainings...

PS, well maybe if someone could help me out with a CTD problem, it should be done thought but still, I kinda in need of what should I know when making an F4AF theater. I know F4 and F4AF are 2 different things, still in the process of learning it...

Sherlock
Lt. General

Post by Sherlock » 2006-12-16 16:40:34

bulletkid wrote:got no screenshots since i having a CTD problem after clicking on TE button and so, but the campaign would probably be like crosscountry, or some major training operations like Malaysia, Singapore Indonesia all working togather, to think of it, its pretty much a boring theater since it lacks of conflict (we are a peaceful kind of people) but many much major operation trainings...

PS, well maybe if someone could help me out with a CTD problem, it should be done thought but still, I kinda in need of what should I know when making an F4AF theater. I know F4 and F4AF are 2 different things, still in the process of learning it...
Did you create your te_new.tac file? Did you copy across everything the tutorial says for the campaign folder? We're going to need specific information from you if we are going to have a chance of helping you to find the problem. You need to tell us exactly what you have done step-by-step so we understand exactly where you are and what you have done.
Sherlock
Victurous te Saluto

Peled
F4ITDG

Post by Peled » 2006-12-16 20:59:27

There are mni reasons for a CTD in the TE_NEW.TAC...
You need to specify what and how you created the te_new.tac as Sherlock say...
basically from my experience the main reasons for a CTD by useing the te_new.tac is due Flags/Teams ...
te_new.tac recognize just 2 Teams :ROK/DPRK ...so if it uses more teams , you'd probably get a crash...---U.S by the way is not a ROK....
first upload with Tacedit your empty te_new.tac from the koreaTheater .
Try import the your *csv. file to the Objectives window.
you should see lot of dots on the map.
then , click apply and save it .
then enter again , and you should see all objectives as they defined eg. villages, air bases etc.
then make sure you got only 2 teams : ROK & DPRK (Blue & green colours),make sure you have all paks and defined your primary cities as the Ultimate Tut . say .

then , make sure all objectives are linked .
Fly a TE , by pressing new and edit a basic First TE and defined all other Teams in the theater and save it like a "Political Map" TE.
So , any nxt TE will have all other teams there .
if you defined other teams directly into the TE_NEW.TAC You'll get a constant CTD's .

maybe i missed some steps , but this are the main steps for a successful and working TE.
there are few more reasons i can not remember now....make sure that the call is for the right paths , check your properties in the tacedit properties page and make sure you'r directed to the right strings files of your theaters .

i hope it helped .

Peled.
F4ITDG-Israeli Theater Development Group (retired) .