Installing Aeyes freeware F4E Phantom cockpit?

Falcon 4 cockpits discussion

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief
Gaming Interests: ArmA, ArmA 2, Falcon 4.0 and OFP.
Editing Interests: All, I (try) to edit everything.

Installing Aeyes freeware F4E Phantom cockpit?

Post by Snake Man » 2007-09-26 11:08:13

Someone asked me how to install the Aeyes Freeware F-4 Phantom v1.024 cockpit from 2003 into todays F4 versions. Does anyone have detailed instructions how to do this, as I would be interested too?

Thanks.
PMC Tactical Forum New User Registration please read new info here.

PMC since 1984

Editing knowledge, visit PMC Editing Wiki
The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage
View our videos in PMC Youtube channel

PMC Tactical forum Advanced Search is power.

"ALPHA BLACK TO PAPA BEAR. ALL RUSSIANS ARE TOAST. OVER."

T_Rex
FreeFalcon

Post by T_Rex » 2007-09-26 12:25:57

Uh... yeah, I think I can find something.
Sic Semper tyrannosauro.

T_Rex
FreeFalcon

Post by T_Rex » 2007-09-26 13:12:49

Ok, here's the deal. The F-4 2d pit is in the middle of a significant upgrade, with Eric's help/permission. But, isn't ready yet. It'll have new panels, improved dat, the whole package.

Willing to wait a bit? :D
Sic Semper tyrannosauro.

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief
Gaming Interests: ArmA, ArmA 2, Falcon 4.0 and OFP.

Post by Snake Man » 2007-09-26 13:25:32

Sounds good and yeah have to wait. However on technical standpoint, I have bunch of old if not ancient 2d cockpits in my directory here, is there any method to bring these old cockpits (even how horrible they look like) into RV for example?

There is the stop/aeyes install topic in FF forums, but I think that is for even never stuff than what I have here dating years back.
PMC Tactical Forum New User Registration please read new info here.

PMC since 1984

Editing knowledge, visit PMC Editing Wiki
The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage
View our videos in PMC Youtube channel

PMC Tactical forum Advanced Search is power.

"ALPHA BLACK TO PAPA BEAR. ALL RUSSIANS ARE TOAST. OVER."

T_Rex
FreeFalcon

Post by T_Rex » 2007-09-26 13:31:52

Let's just say there's been a renewed interest in some of those old pits. ;)

I believe they would still work in RV. Drop the gifs into the right folder, make sure the .dat is there (preferably a 10_ckpt.dat) and maybe check the .dat with Seifer's cockpit tool. It should work.

I think.
Sic Semper tyrannosauro.

ranger822
Banned user
Gaming Interests: Falcon 4.0

Cockpits

Post by ranger822 » 2007-09-26 16:26:21

First some preliminary info which will be useful to know troubleshooting

1. *.dat files are the actual cockpit definitions which are for either 2d or 3d cockpits. The 3d cockpits are 3dpit.dat, some button files, and the 2d pits are usually either some 10_*.dat or 12_*.dat or 16_*.dat which correspond to the different screen size/resolutions. There are several important items to be aware of with these data files. One is the header on the file - it will often contain useful info like "only use for SP4 or SP3, or who made it (so you can track them down) etc. In 2d pits the next section is the summary of panels, buttons, etc at the end of this will be a list of the vehicle parent record that will call the 2d cockpit LOD. There are usually two numbers, the first number is the primary model and the second number is usually the DF version. For 3d pit models the parent is usualy located in the 2nd or 3rd section and you will plainly see a whole series of names describing which pit numbers are being referenced. These parent numbers are very important because they must match up with the 2d or 3d cockpit LOD (DXM) that is in the database. This is where cockpits can get crashes because there is a mismatch between the dat file parent and the database - the other problem is if the dat file makes a call for a graphics file that isn't in the graphics folder. So, it is best to ensure that you have all the files necessary to run the dat file.

2. Falcon uses a system depending on the exe that either calls a NCTR Name (not sure what that acronym stands for but it is the number or name of the cockpit folder that the vehicle database record has in it (using F4Browser). This NCTR name should match up with the pit list in the ckptart folder root directory C:\Microprose\Falcon4\art\ckptart or something like that. The convention is the name has a limit on the number of letters/numbers that can be recognized. Not sure if RV has change this a little bit. Anyway, if you use a Name like F4 in the NCTR name for the vehicle record in F4Browser - Falcon will then look for a file folder in the ckptart folder with the name "F4" if it doesn't find it it will default to the default cockpit (F-16) in the root directory. Similary, if you put a number which should correspond to the vehicle parent normal record in the NCTR Name then Falcon will look for that number in the ckptart folder. Problems seem to occur if you name you cockpit something which conflicts. I.e. if you name your cockpit 1190 for the parent normal record number but you aircraft model isn't using that parent you have problems. Again, I am not sure about OF or RV code changes here but the principles should provide you a basis to work from. I am not sure what take precedence if there is any ie. does the number or the name get checked first? However, I haven't had any problems naming multiple Phantom vehicles with F4 for NCTR - - regardless of the fact that their vehicle normal parent is some number. I have also been able to name cockpit folders different numbers and they work just fine.

3. When you first build a TE to try to fly your aircraft - ensure that you remove the Autosave files from your campaign folder - - failure to do so seems to cause a CTD for some reason.

Technical Steps (I hope this answers some questions)

1. Get the cockpit installer. Read to see if it will make an irreversible chagne to your database or not. If it does and you have other plans for the files, the plan to first install to a dummy falcon install folder and extract the cockpit graphics files to inspect them - - these should inlcude all the *.gif and the *.dat files. If you have any questions on content it is usually whatever is added to the cockpit folder. You should also be able to extract out the models from the database via LOD Editor.

2. Open the dat files and determine what parent record the cockpit data file is trying to use. Then open LOD Editor and locate the parent record and open the 1LOD file and verify that the cockpit model is indeed the correct one. If so, then great, if not then you will need to look around thru the data base and find you an appropriate model (if you can or get the actual LOD model from the maker). If you ran your installer - sometimes those install models into the database - - if that is the case you should be able to open your database and see the model - extract it out and then check that model against your actual database. If they are the same - great - if not then simply add the new model and replace it in the parent record. Need to make sure that the parent record data entries match up with the actual model - ie. DOFs, SWT, Slot match up . . you don't want to add a model and have it crash because the parent record isn't agreeing with model. If you add a model or need to add a new parent you need to deconflict the parents with your other cockpits to ensure you aren't killing something else. If there are any conflicts just append a new parent record - - then add the cockpit model to it and then update your parent record in the appropriate dat file.

Now you have all your graphics, dat files, and LODs located.

Dat files have parent numbers = these link to proper parents in databsase?

Dat files list graphics used = these are all present in the ckptart\<NCTR>

F4Browser vehicle record NCTR/Name database entry = ckptart\<NCTR>

LOD Editor = ensure your model agrees with the parent record entry for slots, skins sets, SWT, DOF. If not fix them before attempting to fly. Don't forget to click the "Update" button or your changes won't take affect and you will be scratching your head as to why things aren't working.

If you are using a specific aircarft and elect to use the a number for NCTR ensure that parent record for your vehicle normal parent is the same number as the once selected in the database entry.

That is pretty much it in a nutshell - easy . . . Troubleshooting topics:

database conflict (mismatch of parents or parent with model)
missing or wrong files (*.gif) in cockpit folder
NCTR Name invalid or wrong
Autosave files not removed

Remember too that if you are using another theater database - the objects folder for your theater is going to be called for a vehicle parent that is located in the Korea art\ckptart folder - so the parents, models etc must match or else it isn't going to work properly. This is of course one of the many good reasons to find a way to separate ckptart folders for all theaters that use different databases.

Return to “Falcon 4 Cockpits”