Latitude and Longitudes screwed in Balkan

Balkans theater

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

Red Dog
Banned user

Latitude and Longitudes screwed in Balkan

Post by Red Dog » 2002-09-27 12:39:00

While working on the TCN list, I noticed there is a problem with the coordinates in the balkans.

There is indeed a large difference between real life coordinates and F4 coordinates.
Seems like the same kind of error we noticed for SP3 in Korea.

For instance:
Asagio is real life 45° 08' 59N - 11° 39' 34E and in the current Balkan release, it's 19°38.64'N - 36°44.08'E.
These coordinates seems to be the red sea coast in Sudan :)

I know there is a *slight* decalage between F4 and the reality as far as the coordinates are concerned. But this seems to be a bit more than *slight*

Any idea on how to solve this? New theater.map?
It makes it impossible to update the TCN lists unless I used completely screwed data ;)

BTW, a second confirmation would be nice - I then would be sure it's not my install ;)

Cheers
RD
Have a Bandit day
Red Dog

Washout
LeadPursuit

Re: Latitude and Longitudes screwed in Balkan

Post by Washout » 2002-09-27 13:53:00

Hi Olivier

If its more pronounced at the Northern end of the theatre than the Southern and its a global projection problem, which hadn't been solved when the original DEM was converted.

If this is the case the only solution would be to restart the terrian from scratch using the fixed translation algorithm from the DEM to F4's format. Unfortunately this would also mean retiling the theatre and after spending a good 3/4+ hours a day (that doesn't include the other tilers) on that for over a year I'm a little reluctant to do it again ;)

Snakeman will confirm but the Vietnam theatre used to be in a similar position.

Later

Chris
Chris "Washout" Carter
F4 Balkans Terrain Team
CO: The Vulture Squadron

Red Dog
Banned user

Post by Red Dog » 2002-09-27 16:41:00

So basically it means the coordinates will not change when the next version is released.
I that case, I'll do the TCN list with the screwed lat/long. As long as I don't have to redo it in a few weeks or months :)

I though it was something relative to the theater.map (?) file. Same way with the lat/long problem we had with Korea and Widmak solved it quite quick.

Too bad we are off by such an important value - I'll make the TCN list with what I have currently in the hud ;)

Thanks
Olivier
Have a Bandit day
Red Dog

Washout
LeadPursuit

Post by Washout » 2002-09-28 10:41:00

quote: I though it was something relative to the theater.map (?) file. Same way with the lat/long problem we had with Korea and Widmak solved it quite quick.
Must have missed that one - can you expand on the problem you discussed with Wid as the cure might be the same.

IIRC we acn create a new .map file with Fred's tools.

Later

Chris
Chris "Washout" Carter
F4 Balkans Terrain Team

Red Dog
Banned user

Post by Red Dog » 2002-09-28 11:39:00

It strated here: http://forums.frugalsworld.com/vbb/show ... adid=25208

Then Widmak and me got in touch and Widmak created a new Theater.map file to solve the problem.
It appeared that the Balkan theater.map had been used for Korea if I remember well and that's why the coordinates were screwed. By replacing simply the theater.map file with correct data, Widmak solved it in about's one hour time.

I'll get in touch with him and develop the problem. I hope we can fix it.
I don't want the coordinates to be exactly the same as IRL but near would be much better.
The actual difference is too big to be comfortable with, As I said, the coordinates in the current Balkan correspond to somewhere in Sudan.

Back later
Olivier
Have a Bandit day
Red Dog

Red Dog
Banned user

Post by Red Dog » 2002-10-01 22:02:00

Chris,

Good news. Widmak made a new theater.map file and the Balkan coordinates are back to normal, IE exactly the same as in the prior version.
Apparently it seems the coord need to be reversed in the Northern hemisphere but I'm sure Widmak can explain it better than me :)

Anyway, all it takes is to replace the theather.map file and the coord get back to normal. I'll send the file to you via email so that you can release it in a hotfix or in the next update if you want.

great news isn't it. :p

Cheers
RD
Have a Bandit day
Red Dog

Cooler69
2nd Lt

Post by Cooler69 » 2002-10-02 10:30:00

Nice going Olivier and Wid :)
Cooler
F4UT Dev Member - Voice Group

Washout
LeadPursuit

Post by Washout » 2002-10-02 12:13:00

Cheers guys.

Got the file and it'll go out in the next update.

Later

Chris
Chris "Washout" Carter
F4 Balkans Terrain Team