The new Afghanistan

Afghanistan theater

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

marvin157th
1st Lt

The new Afghanistan

Post by marvin157th » 2007-09-19 23:13:40

Ok, boys go lightly on me, and try to keep the laughing to a minimum.. :wink:

I have always thought about this project and saw 3 possible campaigns..

1) OEF

2) ISAF

3) Russian/Afghan war

With regards to OEF, the problem is we can not truely create OEF missions. If I understand correctly most US fighters flew out of Qatar? The problem I see is I don't find it realistic flying out of Pakistan or Borat's backyard! :D

Now looking at the new Iran theater we can fly from Qatar to the very Western part of Afghanistan. So.....

Here is two suggestions.. Is it possible to replace the Afghanistan theater so we can squeeze in Qatar and Afghanistan? Looking ruffly we could get most of Qatar enough to fly out of, and having to cut off the Eastern side of Afghanistan.

Now looking at the placement of the wars, this could be possible..

Or, better yet.. Hitting two birds with one stone creating one theater to complete both tasks. This way we are building two theaters in one. Hell most of the same tiles will be used anyway. :D

Just an idea.
Jody

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief
Gaming Interests: ArmA, ArmA 2, Falcon 4.0 and OFP.
Editing Interests: All, I (try) to edit everything.

Re: The new Afghanistan

Post by Snake Man » 2007-09-19 23:28:49

marvin157th wrote:I have always thought about this project and saw 3 possible campaigns.. 1) OEF 2) ISAF 3) Russian/Afghan war
Umm sorry, but whats ISAF?

Anyways for Afghanistan theater which is clearly motivated after the sad events of late 2001, we can always build new database + campaigns to suit the Soviet/Afghan war back in the days.

Also hypothetical Afghan/China/Pakistan/Iran etc mixes are possible. Its all about what people would like to see "simulated" in the theater.
With regards to OEF, the problem is we can not truely create OEF missions.
Honesty, Falcon 4 campaign engine cannot create any historical war... but of course it comes close to those conventional wars, ie ODS, remove Iraqi aircrafts and lets bomb them to stoneage.

Its all about getting as close to historical realism as we can, if we go hysterical about it then we need to exit Campaign and enter Tactical Engagement for that scripted in-box experience, which I'd never do :)

So relax and enjoy the campaigns ;)
Is it possible to replace the Afghanistan theater so we can squeeze in Qatar and Afghanistan?
No, I have done way too much work for the objective linking and other misc stuff to move the theater once again. Its location is good as far as I'm concern. Still talking about the historical realism, well in OIF the planes were flying from US and UK (B1's and B52's), so heh we really cannot expect full historical realism here. This theater is very nice, the whole country just nicely fits into 128 theater, I'm happy with that.
PMC Tactical Forum New User Registration please read new info here.

PMC since 1984

Editing knowledge, visit PMC Editing Wiki
The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage
View our videos in PMC Youtube channel

PMC Tactical forum Advanced Search is power.

"ALPHA BLACK TO PAPA BEAR. ALL RUSSIANS ARE TOAST. OVER."

marvin157th
1st Lt

Post by marvin157th » 2007-09-20 03:11:38

SM,

I can appreciate YOU are happy with it.. That's not what I am concerned with. Maybe others are not? Or think it could be improved! :wink:

All serious though, it's not so much about 100% realistic, talking about flying out of Qatar.. I am pretty sure US planes were not flying out of Iran or Pakistan.. :wink:

I'm more talking about combining two theaters in one. This can be done.. Hell it can almost be 3 if you want to include ODS as well. Would that not be more feasible having one large project that will have 3 theaters in one?

Either way, sounds like you mind is made up, so no worries!

Jody

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief
Gaming Interests: ArmA, ArmA 2, Falcon 4.0 and OFP.
Editing Interests: All, I (try) to edit everything.

Post by Snake Man » 2007-09-20 05:25:14

The only way I could see this work would be the 256 segment theater, thats quite big and there is the problem non working LxNormalFix for example so we cannot rebuild the terrain properly.
PMC Tactical Forum New User Registration please read new info here.

PMC since 1984

Editing knowledge, visit PMC Editing Wiki
The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage
View our videos in PMC Youtube channel

PMC Tactical forum Advanced Search is power.

"ALPHA BLACK TO PAPA BEAR. ALL RUSSIANS ARE TOAST. OVER."

marvin157th
1st Lt

Post by marvin157th » 2007-09-20 10:32:48

Sm,

Understood, thanks

Jody