Afghanistan v0.2 release!

Afghanistan theater

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief
Gaming Interests: ArmA, ArmA 2, Falcon 4.0 and OFP.
Editing Interests: All, I (try) to edit everything.

Afghanistan v0.2 release!

Post by Snake Man » 2007-04-19 12:15:50

Afghanistan Theater v0.2

larger image

Download PMC_Afghanistan_Theater_v0.2.rar - 82mb
Mirror 1:
Mirror 2: twaelti 1
Mirror 3: twaelti 2
Mirror 4: filefront #1
Mirror 5: megaupload
Mirror 6: bigupload
Mirror 7: mediafire
(Thanks to Couby, Twaelti, Sherlock and everyone for hosting)

This is developer version of PMC Afghanistan Theater release for Falcon 4 Allied Force and RedViper (should work in OpenFalcon too but I have not tested, Couby hint hint). This version comes with full exe installer and there should be no problems installing it (unless you are AF only user when the installer fails). It has few nasty bugs so thats why its developer only, please do not submit any news/forums posts about this theater to anywhere else as the common users in public do not understand theater dev stuff and I dont want to read their bitching posts about how buggy the theater is.

Changelog

Code: Select all

--- bugs
- RV user interface missing (maps/flags/etc).
- campaign fictional iran still gives CTD after exit.
- PAK map not perfect (outlines are bit off).
- rivers all over the place, and they seemed very wet. 
- some 3d objects appeared like fata morganas on runway 
- faulty Airport. Name of this Airport is "Udhampur" 
- bridge tiles are bit offset (bridge is not sitting on water)

--- fixes v0.2
- added the basic UI's.
- falcon crashes after playing campaign, fixed.
- threat Circles ADA-High Altitudes causes CTD. Fixed in RV exe, works in AF.
- OF; ramp/taxi/takeoff art files defaults to taxi, fixed.

Install

Delete any and all old Afghanistan theater installs. Read the readme in the release rar. Run the PMC_Afghanistan_Theater_v0.2.exe file and choose either RV/OF or AF install depending on your Falcon version. Remember that the installation takes a long time to complete and is extremely heavy on the system, be prepared not to do anything on the background and to reboot your computer after the install is complete. If you're AF only user, the installer will NOT work for you.

Done!

Feedback

We are looking for bug reports and feedback, if you are interested of helping to edit this theater, just let us know, we will welcome any and all help being it research, bug testing or actual editing. Report all bugs into the Afghanistan v0.2 bug reports topic.

We will answer all your questions and then some. If you do not have account in PMC Tactical, you need to email me so I can create one for you (new user registrations disallowed because of too many spammers). Email me to pmc at pmctactical dot org address or contact me at Frugals or FreeFalcon forums.

And finally the readme:

Code: Select all

Falcon 4 - PMC Afghanistan Theater

v0.2 released April 19th, 2007.

This version is really a developer version as there is quite few nasty bugs which the average joe AKA looser would not understand. Please do NOT submit news/forum posts about this theater to anywhere else, you are free to discuss this in PMC Tactical forums or with persons whom you know are developer types who understands what it takes to build a theater. This release it not meant for the public!

We have the new the User Interface (UI) for all falcon versions in this installer, mainly its fixed for AF and OF leaving RV quite empty. OF even has the background image for main screen and campaign. RV has brand new UI file-system so its quite empty, just the basic items are included. The fictional Iran campaign will crash on exit, terrain tiles are still the old ones, terrain tiling has quite some errors where most worst is bridges completely in wrong positions (ground unit movement is NOT guaranteed). As you can see, this is quite developer release but at least we now have one single exe installer for all three different falcon versions with UI, the development from here goes easily and we can drop in quickfixes if they help (like campaign crash fix etc). It was just important to get this theater into the devs now and not next year.

Having said all that above, the theater is still enjoyable to fly, I have flown many OCA and SEAD Strike missions against Khandahar in Enduring Freedom campaign, damn those pesky SA-2's in there. I havent had any CTD's in 3d with AF so far (I have tested mostly with AF since its so easy to do add package without waiting for interesting mission).

Changelog

--- bugs
- RV user interface missing (maps/flags/etc).
- campaign fictional iran still gives CTD after exit.
- PAK map not perfect (outlines are bit off).
- rivers all over the place, and they seemed very wet. 
- some 3d objects appeared like fata morganas on runway 
- faulty Airport. Name of this Airport is "Udhampur" 
- bridge tiles are bit offset (bridge is not sitting on water)

--- fixes v0.2
- added the basic UI's.
- falcon crashes after playing campaign, fixed.
- threat Circles ADA-High Altitudes causes CTD. Fixed in RV exe, works in AF.
- OF; ramp/taxi/takeoff art files defaults to taxi, fixed.

Install

1) Run the PMC_Afghanistan_Theater_v0.2.exe and choose RV/OF or AF.

Done!

If you're AF only user, this installer will NOT work for you as it expects to see original Falcon 4 registry entries. Feel free to check our forums for fix.

Please take a notice that the LxNormalFix utility is very heavy on your computer, it will cause approx 780mb memory usage so if you're short on memory get prepared for very heavy swapping by win. Its most likely you cant do anything else while the installer run and then you have to reboot your computer. Also if you install to RV or OF there is additional SeasonSwitcher which takes long time to run also.

We are looking for bug reports and feedback. More details can be found at PMC Tactical forums in this theater area where all bug reports should be posted.

We will answer all your questions and then some in the forum. If you do not have account in there, you need to email me so I can create one for you (new user registrations disallowed because of too many spammers). Email me to spam.my.ass address or contact me at Frugals or FreeFalcon forums.

April 19th, 2007.
http://www.pmctactical.org
PMC Tactical 
Snake Man, PMC.
Enjoy (the development).
Last edited by Snake Man on 2007-04-22 09:11:11, edited 3 times in total.
PMC Tactical Forum New User Registration please read new info here.

PMC since 1984

Editing knowledge, visit PMC Editing Wiki
The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage
View our videos in PMC Youtube channel

PMC Tactical forum Advanced Search is power.

"ALPHA BLACK TO PAPA BEAR. ALL RUSSIANS ARE TOAST. OVER."

T_Rex
FreeFalcon

Post by T_Rex » 2007-04-19 12:50:33

hehehe

Brings back memories of working on the original.... :)

Well done SM. 8)
Sic Semper tyrannosauro.

Sherlock
Lt. General
Gaming Interests: Falcon 4.0

Post by Sherlock » 2007-04-19 15:05:58

SM,
nice additions to the README for Joe Public (aka looser)! LOL!
Sherlock
Victurous te Saluto

ccc
Chief of Staff

Post by ccc » 2007-04-19 16:08:24

great job.

it's cool to have falcon terrain ranging from middle east-iraq-iran to afghanistan! move map slightly to east.. another adjacent theater for indo-pakistan 8)

http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/middle_e ... _rel88.jpg

phoenix
Recruit

Post by phoenix » 2007-04-19 17:21:26

Heh,

Nice work on the readme :lol:

Precise and well thought out :D

Good stuff :)

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2007-04-22 09:13:25

Actually I just wrote that "in anger" from my heart, I planned to remove it... heh I guess I forgot, you always should proof read :)

Anyways few mirrors added to the first post. Now we have good setup of mirrors for any theater releases.

PMC since 1984

The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage

icebrain
1st Lt

Post by icebrain » 2007-05-01 14:33:48

No bugs so far; just wondering if there's a way to get the occupation map for TE's the same as the one for the EF campaign (save0.cam) without having to manually change everything

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2007-05-01 15:48:24

At the TE you can only have two teams if I'm correct, so during development I dont care to paint them each time so correctly, instead I just flag half of the theater per team.

Perhaps we could tweak it somehow, but it never will be exactly the same as campaign teams.

PMC since 1984

87th_striker
Brig. General

Post by 87th_striker » 2007-05-01 18:45:16

For some reason frames dropped a bit for me when running Afghanistan. A lot of 3D objects in first campaign mission around the base. otherwise mothing special seen around. Better tiles needed with more terrain variations, but that is known.

bigstone
1st Lt

Post by bigstone » 2007-05-03 18:27:52

Thanks for the theater. Is it possible to change F-16CJ's to F-16CG's in RedViper? I tried with tacedit and I still see the CJ's, instead of CG's??? Also I would like to do the same for ODSv6, especially for Iraqi Freedom. 8)

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2007-05-03 19:25:38

Why would you want to do that? I'm asking because I dont have the slightest clue whats the difference on those two versions, so let me know and if your request is valid I will make the changes.

PMC since 1984

bigstone
1st Lt

Post by bigstone » 2007-05-04 00:08:28

Snake Man wrote:Why would you want to do that? I'm asking because I dont have the slightest clue whats the difference on those two versions, so let me know and if your request is valid I will make the changes.
Block 40/42 - F-16CG/DG - gained capabilities for navigation and precision attack in all weather conditions and at night with the LANTIRN pods and more extensive air-to-ground loads, including the GBU-10, GBU-12, GBU-24 Paveway laser-guided bombs and the GBU-15. Block 40/42 production began in 1988 and ran through 1995. Currently, the Block 40s are being upgraded with several Block 50 systems: ALR-56M threat warning system, the ALE-47 advanced chaff/flare dispenser, an improved performance battery, and Falcon UP structural upgrade.

Block 50D/52D Wild Weasel F-16CJ (CJ means block 50) comes in C-Model (1 seat) and D-Model (2 seat) versions. It is best recognized for its ability to carry the AGM-88 HARM and the AN/ASQ-213 HARM Targeting System (HTS) in the suppression of enemy air defenses [SEAD] mission. The HTS allows HARM to be employed in the range-known mode providing longer range shots with greater target specificity. This specialized version of the F-16, which can also carry the ALQ-119 Electronic Jamming Pod for self protection, became the sole provider for Air Force SEAD missions when the F-4G Wild Weasel was retired from the Air Force inventory. The lethal SEAD mission now rests solely on the shoulders of the F-16 Harm Targeting System. Although F-18s and EA-6Bs are HARM capable, the F-16 provides the ability to use the HARM in its most effective mode. The original concept called for teaming the F-15 Precision Direction Finding (PDF) and the F-16 HTS. Because this teaming concept is no longer feasible, the current approach calls for the improvement of the HTS capability. The improvement will come from the Joint Emitter Targeting System (JETS), which facilitates the use of HARM's most effective mode when launched from any JETS capable aircraft.

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2007-05-04 02:32:18

Understood, I'll make sure the model is block 40/42 - CG for next campaign updates. Thanks for letting me know.

PMC since 1984

marvin157th
1st Lt

Post by marvin157th » 2007-05-04 03:13:46

I'm not sure I am understanding Bigstones request?? If I do, I don't know why it is feasable to want either CGs or CJs for a theater? Why not just have them both and let the user decide which they prefer to use, or model in their campaigns.

One thing I noticed with Naldo's OF versions is the Balkans theater only has CGs now. I understand the historical Allied Force was only using Block 40s, but this makes no sense to have this in the database when someone might want to create a modern day campaign in the Balkans and now we don't have the option of adding Block 50s.

So if this is your request I don't know why only one type should be in the database for the theater.

Jody

bigstone
1st Lt

Post by bigstone » 2007-05-04 03:47:16

marvin157th wrote:I'm not sure I am understanding Bigstones request?? If I do, I don't know why it is feasable to want either CGs or CJs for a theater? Why not just have them both and let the user decide which they prefer to use, or model in their campaigns.

One thing I noticed with Naldo's OF versions is the Balkans theater only has CGs now. I understand the historical Allied Force was only using Block 40s, but this makes no sense to have this in the database when someone might want to create a modern day campaign in the Balkans and now we don't have the option of adding Block 50s.

So if this is your request I don't know why only one type should be in the database for the theater.

Jody
Well in Enduring Freedom the USAF deployed F-16C+'s,F-16CG's, and F-16CJ's. Also the same goes for Iraqi Freedom too. As Marvin should know that South Carolina's ANG 157thFS, which is one of the few ANG units that fly the F-16CJ WW also participated in OEF too. Thanks for all your hard work Snake Man. Your theaters keep me flying RV. I look forward to flying RobViper's Iraqi Freedom(Cool aircraft skins!!!). OBTW which version of tacedit are you using for the theaters? I tried changing some CJ's to CG's, but it doesn't seem to work in RV. I tried in my FF3.1.1/C1.1.1 install and it worked. :?

marvin157th
1st Lt

Post by marvin157th » 2007-09-19 19:20:21

Bigstone,

Have you tried OF? I have changed them no problem using TAC EDIT with OF. It atleast works with OF.

Jody