Afghanistan Theater

Afghanistan theater

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

sjh

Afghanistan Theater

Post by sjh » 2001-09-18 03:07:00

:mad:
We need to see a new theater for Afghanistan with all the Taliban landmarks.

T_Rex
FreeFalcon

Re: Afghanistan Theater

Post by T_Rex » 2001-09-18 03:33:00

Patience grasshopper.... :)

Somethings in the works. I'll not promise anything as 100% awesome as ODS, but I gots a feeling it'll be a good place to do some venting!

T
Sic Semper tyrannosauro.

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief
Gaming Interests: ArmA, ArmA 2, Falcon 4.0 and OFP.
Editing Interests: All, I (try) to edit everything.

Post by Snake Man » 2001-09-19 06:08:00

I found this map on my early days of theater work dir.

Afghanistan non-spherical 64 map 1

Afghanistan non-spherical 64 map 2

Then there is what I did just today using Miran Klemenc's DEM2L2 Spherical converter. This is 20 by 20 degree DEM data, which comes to 128 segment theater.

Afghanistan Spherical 128 map 1

Afghanistan Spherical 128 map 2

DEM2L2 screen

PMC TFW
Snake Man
PMC Tactical Forum New User Registration please read new info here.

PMC since 1984

Editing knowledge, visit PMC Editing Wiki
The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage
View our videos in PMC Youtube channel

PMC Tactical forum Advanced Search is power.

"ALPHA BLACK TO PAPA BEAR. ALL RUSSIANS ARE TOAST. OVER."

Zaggy
Colonel

Post by Zaggy » 2001-09-19 16:30:00

And at a 128 map, big enough for the crazies out there to mess with deploying Tactical Nukes...

I can see lots of FA-18 fun with this theater, being thrown of carrier deck to fly north to drop some tonnage on someone's head..

Hey SM, how about having those nasty CHINESE enter the conflict again!!! Just like Korea.... You think youre getting a handle on the situation and the reds start pouring over the border... :)
Daniel "Zaggy" Bell
Old-School, Grumpy and Anti-Social
Also to be found lurking round FighterOps

colonel tomb
Recruit

Post by colonel tomb » 2001-09-19 19:48:00

Could it somehow include Mt. Everest and the Himalayas? Love playing cat and mouse in the mountains

ccc
Chief of Staff

Post by ccc » 2001-09-19 23:02:00

hey SM, is that your third project? :D :D

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2001-09-21 04:01:00

The first Afghanistan 128 theater installer is ready, uses korean tiles with autotiled terrain. Size is about 16mb.

Do you guys know any web space for me to upload that? currently I would not like to put it to our server because Vietnam and ODS takes some toll on the bandwidth.

PMC TFW
Snake Man

PMC since 1984

The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage

T_Rex
FreeFalcon

Post by T_Rex » 2001-09-21 17:04:00

Here's a UI I'm working on - my first. Let me know what you all think. Personally, its a bit "busy" I think.

I'm thinking that the shot I have in the background might be all that's necessary for the main UI.

T
Sic Semper tyrannosauro.

Sluff 33

Post by Sluff 33 » 2001-09-21 17:51:00

Brief background I am a former military F-16 & Kc-135 crew chief. I am currently in the job search mode up until a few days ago was an airline employee. I have worked on the AF R&D side of flight test and have roughly 60 hours of AF F-16 Flight Sim time. I am also a rated pilot and Typed in Saberliners and Learjets.

Well I am obviously new to this forum and will admit that I am also new to the design side of Falcon4. However, I do have a lot of design work in FS2000. I would like to help on the Development of the Afghanistan region. Is there any one particular team that is working on development? I have downloaded some of the design tools from this site but is there more tools / utilities out there? Since I now have all this free time on my hands I would like to help!!

:? Saber45h@msn.com

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2001-09-21 18:29:00

quote:Originally posted by Sluff 33:
I would like to help on the Development of the Afghanistan region. Is there any one particular team that is working on development?
Hi and welcome aboard.

As you can see from this site we are officially making Vietnam and Operation Desert Storm theaters for Falcon. This Afghanistan theater has two points on my mind... number one is that I made the first theater packet back in 2000 because the terrain felt really interesting and of course there have been war fought by Russia and Afghans. Secondly is the latest news you can see 24hrs live feed from CNN right now, today. Latest scoop is that while US denies any specific reports, we can expect strikes / Special Forces Ops in Afghanistan any day now.

Yet, we are not "officially" creating this Falcon 4 Afghanistan Theater. Why? Well I have just done (ok they are not finished yet, but the hardest work is now done) two theaters and its not primary objective to dig myself into another months taking tiling process.

So what are we doing here? Well Afghanistan theater "unofficially" :)

Most likely that help would be tiling of the terrain.

Have you read our tiling tutorial yet?
http://www.pmctactical.org/f4/tilingtutorial.php

PMC TFW
Snake Man

PMC since 1984

Sluff 33

Post by Sluff 33 » 2001-09-21 23:58:00

Snake Man,
Thanks for the direction. I am available to help for as long as I can tell. I don't see the airlines starting to re-hire anytime soon. I have downloaded all the utilities in the Download section and have printed all the readme and help files. So, I am ready to go. The maps you placed in this forum... how can I copy those ( can I right click and copy) will that work with these utilites or not?
:p

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2001-09-22 04:23:00

Afghanistan Theater is now available from
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/F4_AfghanTheater/files/

The sheep egroups should be open to anyone, but I bet there is gonna be problems, heh, trust egroups :)

Anyways you guys need to download all the files which are packed with RAR. I think winzip should unpack those as well as winrar.

PMC TFW
Snake Man

PMC since 1984

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2001-09-22 04:26:00

I have downloaded all the utilities in the Download section and have printed all the readme and help files.
Did the tiling tutorial make any sense?
quote:The maps you placed in this forum... how can I copy those ( can I right click and copy) will that work with these utilites or not?
Hmm you dont need those map images posted in this forum. The installer that was just uploaded to the egroups only has the 4-byte theater.L2 which does not open in TerrainView unfortunately.

But hey you can start by leeching that installer, testing it out and then I can send you the actual terrainview(able) L2 file. Also we are going to replace the tiles soon, to give the terrain the correct desert/mountain look.

PMC TFW
Snake Man

PMC since 1984

Sluff 33

Post by Sluff 33 » 2001-09-23 01:50:00

Yes, the tutorial made sense. I started doing some work lastnight and I think it makes sense. Sorry, I didn't reply to your message sooner. I decided to take a little R&R after practicing with the tiling and loaded up Desert Storm Campaign only for it to completly kill my system. I am partially back up and running this evening.

Sinsen Krysset

Post by Sinsen Krysset » 2001-09-23 13:29:00

I want a New York Theatre!

The idea that one should bomb the whole of Afghanistan with something like 20 million people that has experienced something like 23 years of war, sounds disgusting to me.

Anyway what can you possibly bomb in such a theatre. There is no infrastucture, few bridges and very little millitary resitance.
What does Taliban have? Some Su-22 and some Mig fishbeds. The only thing you could hit from air would be villages and perhaps some refugees. Such a theatre would suit a firstperson-shooter, like rainbow-6, more than a flightsimulator.

In a New York theatre there would at least be somethings to blow up.

(And if you think that my request for a New York theatre is uncaring/disturbing/bad taste/bad manners, perhaps you will find that a request for a Afghanistan theatre is just as bad. and no! i don't want a New York theatre)

brewskie
Lt Colonel

Post by brewskie » 2001-09-23 14:26:00

quote:Originally posted by Sinsen Krysset:
perhaps you will find that a request for a Afghanistan theatre is just as bad. and no! i don't want a New York theatre)
I told snakeman in a private email that i thought it was a good idea because we could familiarize ourselves with the terrain, we could use it as a learning tool. I agree, bombing afghanistan would not be fun at all even in a sim, considering how much that country has already suffered. There are no targets there, only infantry which is spread out,
hiding in the mountains, they use hit and run tactics.
I wish we never turned our back on Afghanistan in the 90's, but the American people didn't want our leaders to have a strong foreign policy, they wanted a more isolationist policy. Now we've been hurt bad, so maybe now the US will have a more proactive foreign policy. Once again, i think it would be good to have this theater just as a learning tool.

Sluff 33

Post by Sluff 33 » 2001-09-23 15:50:00

Well,
sinsen krysset & brewskie you are entitled to your opinions. If you don't like it you don't have to fly it!! Lets refocus the view a little; what was there to blow up in Desert Storm? What makes the Iraq desert any different than the Afghanistan desert? Sand is sand and refugees are refugees. We are going over there wether you or anyone else likes it. I see no harm in its depiction on Falcon and I think alot of other people feel the same.
For your information I was a part of Desert Storm and the way things are looking I am getting recalled for this crisis as well.
Our freedom was threatened and american lives taken. We will regain our confidence in maintaining freedom lives will be lost in doing so. That is war and war is hell.

God Bless America. :mad: saber45h@msn.com

brewskie
Lt Colonel

Post by brewskie » 2001-09-23 17:43:00

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Sluff 33:
what was there to blow up in Desert Storm?

About 5000 Iraq tanks and thousands of artillery pieces, a huge IADS system, numerous CCC centers ect...ect....

For your information I was a part of Desert Storm

I too was on Active USAR status at that time, part of my motor pool did go, but all of us were ready to deploy at a moments notice.

That is war and war is hell.

Agreed.

brewskie
Lt Colonel

Post by brewskie » 2001-09-23 19:03:00

quote:Originally posted by brewskie:
Originally posted by Sluff 33:
what was there to blow up in Desert Storm?

About 5000 Iraq tanks and thousands of artillery pieces, a huge IADS system, numerous CCC centers ect...ect....

For your information I was a part of Desert Storm

I too was on Active USAR status at that time, part of my motor pool did go, but all of us were ready to deploy at a moments notice. Later on i attended OCS for an armored Cav unit in Penn., but when
Clinton got elected and i saw changes were coming for the Army so i elected to retire, my time of service was up.

That is war and war is hell.

Agreed.
BTW, i am for tactical air strikes should the occasion present itself, and insertion of special forces(82nd). The 82nd has enough armor to fight against anything the taliban might have. Set up a few forward bases and let them try to dislodge us. Resupply bases by air, also reinforce our allies in the region to fight along with us against the Taliban if they don't hand bin laden over. We need good INTEL and then tactical air strikes. We are sending B-52's but i think our F-16's and F-15's with dumb bombs and cbu's are the answer. Choppers would probably be dead meat.

ccc
Chief of Staff

Post by ccc » 2001-09-25 01:30:00

hmm..i found some info:
Afghan got 400-500 tank, less than 10 su22, about 5 mig21. thats all.

you can wipe out all heavy metal in 6 hours, i mena in f4 theater. but the rest soft targets could take you weeks.

87th_striker
Brig. General

Post by 87th_striker » 2001-09-25 05:15:00

So someone can still be agressors there... What If China decided to move in to protect against Muslim fundamentalism ? The Russians have been there, done that... etc etc. Iran is obviously a joker here.

Afghan theater will give a lot of good flying terrain, so keep it coming, guys.

ccc
Chief of Staff

Post by ccc » 2001-09-25 05:27:00

Basically terrain-making has no concern with politics. its simply terrain, with various geographic features. i'm afraid Afghan could look very similar to Iran terrain.

As for Theater, i mean the whole package, it could be based on real world thing, or ficitious. If based on today's arm status, you'll soon lose interest in hours. On the other hand, imgination could make it pretty hot.

btw, i check www.combataircraft.com

Afghan did got more weapons(probably years ago) than i expect!

Ender Wiggin
Colonel

Post by Ender Wiggin » 2001-09-26 18:39:00

If you guys decide to go all out and make a full fleged Afganistan theatre I would be willing to help with intel. as in that units they have and where. i might be able to find skin pics for the skin developers

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2001-09-26 19:13:00

quote:Originally posted by Ender Wiggin:
If you guys decide to go all out and make a full fleged Afganistan theatre
The difference between fully deployed theater work and what I'm doing now is that I will not start to tile that theater.

Tiling is the most time consuming job I know about theater work. As you can now download and see the Afghan theater I made, it took me about one day to complete that, installer and all. So the basic theater files are made pretty fast, the tiling is the big bad wolf here.

I remember posting a while back when I was working on Vietnam tiling that it would take me (me only tiling with no help) about 40 weeks of continuous tiling everyday to completely tile a 64 segment theater.

But isn't this fixed by getting a lot of people to help in tiling?

Yeah sure, but how many is willing to help on tiling... hehe not many. I truly appreciate the efforts some fine individuals have done for Vietnam and Desert Storm terrain tilings! its just the fact that nobody really cares about tiling, at least I dont have any illusions of getting people to help me to tile anything these days. I Already posted several "please help me to tile" messages only to get static as reply (minus these few cool guys who helped me).

You can have all these fantasy mind games that if it takes one person 40 weeks to tile theater, it would only take 2 weeks for 20 tilers to complete same job. But thats all that is, a fantasy. I think the Balkans tiling took almost a year I believe (Washout correct me if I'm wrong) and that is hardcore tiling. For example in Vietnam and ODS we cut some corners when we left some/most of the stuff for autotiling.

Err sorry about this reply... anyways in a nutshell, I will happily work on this theater but I will not tile all night long for weeks.

Whether Afghanistan Theater gets "Official" PMC TFW tag is another thing ;)
quote:I would be willing to help with intel. as in that units they have and where. i might be able to find skin pics for the skin developers
Sure, just keep posting good intel to this forum and its very helpful.

PMC TFW
Snake Man

PMC since 1984

Sluff 33

Post by Sluff 33 » 2001-09-26 19:34:00

Okay,
You still have my support. I just need a little help getting the bugs ironed out. I downloaded all the files you posted "Snake" however, I couldn't open them. I found a .RAR file viewer at download.com but I had no luck. I installed the Desert Storm Theater but it trashed my system... Actually I trashed it during the install. So I have a clean install of Windows and am ready to go if I can get a little help getting started.
I should still be available for a while longer as it appears we will be doing "Home Land defense". So let me know!!

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2001-09-26 22:02:00

egroups choked on the Afghanistan Theater, it says:

Traffic limits have been exceeded

When Amount downloaded
9/25 11:13pm 1953KB
9/25 11:13pm 1953KB
9/25 11:14pm 1953KB
9/25 11:15pm 1953KB
9/25 11:15pm 1953KB
9/25 11:15pm 1143KB
9/25 11:16pm 510KB
9/25 11:16pm 1953KB
9/25 12:15pm 1953KB
9/26 05:55am 1953KB
9/26 12:20am 1953KB
9/26 12:28am 1953KB
9/26 12:28am 1953KB
9/26 12:29am 1953KB
9/26 01:59pm 1953KB
9/26 01:59pm 1143KB
9/26 02:00pm 1953KB
9/26 08:20pm 1953KB
9/26 08:23pm 1953KB
9/26 08:29pm 1953KB
9/26 08:29pm 1953KB
9/26 08:32pm 1143KB
9/26 08:46pm 1953KB
9/26 10:29pm 1953KB
Total 115260KB
Max Allowed 114000KB

Oh my, we such bad boys :)

PMC TFW
Snake Man

PMC since 1984

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2001-09-26 22:10:00

I found a .RAR file viewer at download.com but I had no luck.
I think the rar's should be unpacked even with winzip. Anyways what did the winrar do then?
quote:I should still be available for a while longer as it appears we will be doing "Home Land defense". So let me know!!
Its time to put the desert tileset into this theater, maybe we can see some small tiling. Not the huge work like the usual tiling, but like assigning kabul and other important areas under the human tiling. Autotiling kind of makes a mess of city tiling.

Hey thanks for the support.

PMC TFW
Snake Man

PMC since 1984

Sluff 33

Post by Sluff 33 » 2001-09-27 00:49:00

WinRar converted them and then when you clicked on them it said the file was invalid file type and could not open. May have just been operator error. I have found some interesting history and daily theater updates for the region put out by DoD. I will get that stuff loaded in the next day or two. Talked to a few guys in INTEL and they directed me where to look on the net for some fairly reliable stats on military strenth and equipment.
From the Topo maps I have been looking at this should be an awsome theater to fly F4 in.

Sluff 33

Post by Sluff 33 » 2001-09-27 00:51:00

Hummm! Snake can you fix my last post? What happened that it posted everything to the r/h side?

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2001-09-28 08:10:00

WinRar converted them and then when you clicked on them it said the file was invalid file type and could not open.
Did you try to click the packet that ends with ".rar" and not like ".r00"?

Its easy to unpack those, just right-mouse-click the .rar packet (usually last packet in the dir) and select "Extract to <dirname>" option.

Anyways maybe that installer should be uploaded to our web server, I mean why to send boy to do a mans job anyway, huh? That egroup can sucks so bad it makes me cry.

PMC TFW
Snake Man

PMC since 1984

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2001-09-28 15:08:00

CNN Just reported that U.S. and British Special Forces Conducted Operations in Afghanistan.

Yeah.

So here is our first screenshots of Afghanistan Theater with desert tileset.

/temp_afghan/

Remember all terrain is made with autotiling in few minutes. Enjoy.

PMC TFW
Snake Man

PMC since 1984

brewskie
Lt Colonel

Post by brewskie » 2001-09-28 16:15:00

In the F/A-18 forum detapooh posted this link which has some awesome sat views of the terrain in northern afghanistan. http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/ ... arunta.htm

Ender Wiggin
Colonel

Post by Ender Wiggin » 2001-09-28 18:46:00

glad to hear you might put it on a server. im having problems when afganistan is applied. it applys ok but when i go to fly i get a ctd and i realllly wanna see it.

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2001-09-28 18:48:00

it applys ok but when i go to fly i get a ctd and i realllly wanna see it.
What did you try, campaign or instant action?

PMC TFW
Snake Man

PMC since 1984

Ender Wiggin
Colonel

Post by Ender Wiggin » 2001-09-28 18:57:00

IA, TE, and campaign Can any one help?

87th_striker
Brig. General

Post by 87th_striker » 2001-10-01 09:53:00

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2001-10-01 21:27:00

IA, TE, and campaign Can any one help?
Oh sorry I totally missed this post until now. Ok everything crashes... hmm can you tell me what .wch file do you have in the campaign\save dir when Afghanistan is applied from F4Patch?

Also what Falcon did you use to run the theater?

PMC TFW
Snake Man

PMC since 1984

Ender Wiggin
Colonel

Post by Ender Wiggin » 2001-10-02 03:46:00

It says strings.wch and im using 108i2/RP5.

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2001-10-02 06:33:00

It says strings.wch and im using 108i2/RP5.
Hehe dude, 128 theaters only work on eFalcon 1.09 or 1.10 :)

PMC TFW
Snake Man

PMC since 1984

Ender Wiggin
Colonel

Post by Ender Wiggin » 2001-10-02 20:52:00

no wonder ok cool ill try it with efalcon