Europe Theater is alive

Europe theater

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

araquael
Recruit

Re: Europe Theater is alive

Post by araquael » 2002-04-13 15:15:00

Wow....

I have been without Falcon since the end of November. No SP beta testing, no tiling of the ME theatre...and now you taunt me with this... arrrgh!

:D

Now then, my wishlist for such a theatre would be to shift the whole lot North, and make, as someone said, the Alps, the southern base of the map. Yep, flying from Italy up to Stockholm might be nice...but not practical. If somehow, one could convince the converter software to model as much of Scandinavia as possible, we'd be "on the pig's back" as it were. We could have a reasonable sequel to EF2000's fjords and icy coastlines and a reasonable sequel to Tornado's central European hills. We could have a full Red Storm Rising type campaign, having the Russians invading Norway to the north and into the Fulda Gap.

We could also have a Near Future campaign, inspired by "Gunship!" with the Russians moving across the Baltic and Poland against Germany, while at the same time, we could re-visit EF2000's scenario, flying for the RNAF against the Russian Air Force...
www.scramble.nl has a nice set of stuff about where airbases are.

Gavin

Tazz
Lt Colonel

Post by Tazz » 2002-04-13 17:08:00

Great looking map but I agree with moving up North for several reasons.

First, it might be better not to overlap the Balkans theater. In the Cold-going-Hot war Yugoslavia would remain neutral unless Soviet forces would invade it like they did with Hungaria. And I doubt if Italy would play any vital strategic role in the entire conflict.

Second, the main battle would be thought on the plains of Germany, the Fulda gap (I'm currently in Gelnhausen .. close to Fulda! :)

My 2 cents would be that a highly detailed 64x64 Central Germany theater might be more fun to fly (for both sides!) than a 128x128 huge theater.

A good thing would be that you can fly from the UK in a 128x128 campaign but in wartime most UK based fighter wings (2x F-111 Wing, 2x A-10 Wing plus the RAF Tornado GR1/F3, Jaguar and Buccaneer Squadrons) would deploy to the Netherlands or Germany.

Soesterberg AB in the Netherlands for example would act as a major USAFE deployment base for UK based squadrons (A-10s cant fly from the UK to Central Germany and back all the time) as well as reserve base in case the 86th TFW (Ramstein), 36th FTW (Bitburg) or 52nd TFW (Spangdahlem) would be forced to pull back.

Although it would be great having a 128x128 with everything, I think a 64x64 theater might be more fun to fly? Just my thought.

SP3 is going to offer this theater a LOT of aircraft it needs such as the SU-17, SU-24 etc.
Tazz
87th VFW
Stray Dogs
www.87th.org

Mike Laskey

Post by Mike Laskey » 2002-04-21 13:21:00

Looks fantastic! Who is going to record the voice frags for this monster! :eek:

Cooler69
2nd Lt

Post by Cooler69 » 2002-04-22 09:21:00

I think you just volunteered Mike :D
Cooler
F4UT Dev Member - Voice Group

Intruder
Recruit

Post by Intruder » 2002-04-23 03:51:00

Hi Tazz

The SU-24 is working with SP2 too.

cu Intruder

Tazz
Lt Colonel

Post by Tazz » 2002-05-06 20:57:00

Is the flightmodel any good in SP2?
Tazz
87th VFW
Stray Dogs
www.87th.org

kinggeorge
Major

Post by kinggeorge » 2002-05-08 21:29:00

ehrm it was made by me Tazz - tss tss

On the other side I can#t remember if this was for Sp2 or a Sp3 beta back then when I made it... :D

swell
Recruit

Post by swell » 2002-05-09 08:19:00

Hi Snake Man, Hi to all

I have been flying over this Europe's Beta and Im loving it, but I have a question, how can I do some TE's???????

Thanks to all and very nice work

Spieg

Post by Spieg » 2002-06-01 15:02:00

Maybe I'm late, but I think we should not remove the northern part of Italy. I'm italian, so someone could think that the reason I say this is Im italian, while instead is a practical historical thing. First of all, Soviets where supposed to pass thruogh the Gorizia Pass, like the Fulda Gap. Something like 75% of the Italian Army was placed there for one reason. Second someone say that Italy would not have been involved in the War. Well that is not true for sure. Third, the Penetration of Red forces into northern Italy could have caused serious problems to Greece and Turkey, not to mention the presence of the USA 6th Fleet in mediterraneo and also the possibility of Red forces to go thru Alpes into France. Moving the terrain up would for sure get Norway into a play, but I think that the souther theater would have been more important to NATO then the northern. Some could reply that with Norwigian airbases the Red aircraft could have reached the convoy in the Atlantic. Well, with Italy in their hands the red could have taken 3 nation in one push and gained controll and support over another one (Italy, Greece and Turkey out of business and Jugo on thir side). I hope you do not consider moving the map too far north. Rmemember also that Pisa and north of that base there were mosdt of the NATO bases for First Line Unit (American ones too, in Pisa there was one of the biggest concentration of depot of the whole central europe)

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief
Gaming Interests: ArmA, ArmA 2, Falcon 4.0 and OFP.
Editing Interests: All, I (try) to edit everything.

Post by Snake Man » 2002-06-01 17:50:00

quote:Originally posted by Spieg:
I hope you do not consider moving the map too far north.
The theater location is now locked. You can view the terrain map from the europe page at http://www.pmctactical.org/f4/europe.php

Hope you like it.

PMC TFW
Snake Man
PMC Tactical Forum New User Registration please read new info here.

PMC since 1984

Editing knowledge, visit PMC Editing Wiki
The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage
View our videos in PMC Youtube channel

PMC Tactical forum Advanced Search is power.

"ALPHA BLACK TO PAPA BEAR. ALL RUSSIANS ARE TOAST. OVER."

Spieg

Post by Spieg » 2002-06-03 08:06:00

I hoped for a less to the north terrain, but I think this is the best arrangment to have everyone happy. Thanks for that. BTW If you need anything about Italy and the Air Force composition on any year from 1980 on, just let me know, I can even get you all the real patches and everything else you may need for the Falcon4SP3 (naturally only declassied or unclassified info).