PMC_Euro 25km island + campaign

OFP general discussion

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

Snake_Man

PMC_Euro 25km island + campaign

Post by Snake_Man » 2004-04-11 00:34:08

PMC_Euro is project name for 25km sized island and 34 mission campaign.

PMC_Euro_map2-small.jpg

PMC_Euro_map2.jpg 1200x1200 res image

PMC_Euro_map1.jpg 1200x1200 res image with town names

The island has now cities, roads and forests placed, everything else is missing like vegetation objects. All the campaign missions are done, but some of them only have minimal briefing (meaning no background story, only the essentials to know what to do) and no cutscenes.

Island is european style greenish place. I feel like its (going to be) somewhere between Everon and Nogova in its feel.

I need help in terms of feedback and suggestions. I'll do all the work, if someone just points me to the right direction.
1) Name for the island.
2) The island most likely needs more cities/populated areas and roads, also more forests might be a good idea.
3) Campaign needs more background story and briefing text to create the War feeling.
4) Campaign needs dates and times for the missions.
5) Names/faces for the campaign characters
6) Possibly few "special" missions like clishe rescue downed helicopter etc.

This is the list of missions and extremely brief commentary of what happens in them. Format is number - mission name and then description of events.

PMC Euro Campaign Plan

01 - Leisure
US Army guys are chilling on Vaals with Hummer. Russians invade and guys are
called back to base only armed with sidearms. When they get to the base, they
get M16's and defend off the first wave of russians from Mi-17 HIND insertion.

02 - Lizard Tooth
US Army guys are now on camo BDU's and armed to the teeth, they defend of more
massive RUssian attack on the army base.

02a - Cutscene 1
cutscene for US Army guys calling to help from HQ.

03 - Ocean Breeze
NAVY SEALs penetrate from the beach into the castle ruins at mountain, meet army
squad and then bring them safely into a beach extraction location.

04 - Black Shepherd
SEALs conduct reconnaissance at Velp and Vaals cities.

05 - Ninjas Song
SEALs take out two command & communication sites and anti air compound.

06 - Blue Eyes
SEALs start from H8 beach, proceed to take out enemy AAA at I8 and J8 hilltops.

07 - Knight Blade
Rangers get helo inserted to E8, proceed north to attack tank refuel site at F7 road.
Talk to farmers at E6 for intel. Helo extraction after talking to farmers.

08 - Hornet Spike
Rangers start LSD sea, helo insert SW of target which is assault army base at L3.
Reinforcements of regular Army guys arrive by UH-60L helo insertions.

09 - Hungry Bear
Rangers start at base, assault supply convoy at Rozenburg.

10 - Ghost Cross
Rangers start army base 1 and assault army base 2.

11 - Shiny Black
Army guys assault Vaals, ammo depot, field HQ and acquoy.

12 - Ocean Gate
US Army guys start from army base 2, assault Alverna sea port.

13 - Hawk Nest
Army guys clear Dearsum, assault airbase and capture it.

14 - Silver String
Army guys assault tubbergen, fuel depot, galder and bridge 1 road block.

15 - Red Anger
Army guys defend russian assault near tubbergen.

16 - Night Eagle
US Army AirForce AH-64 pilot starts from airbase, assaults group of vehicles in the
road from Beckum to Charlois.

17 - Eagle Point
AH-64 starts from airbase, assault on armored vehicles SE of Maarn.

18 - Mother Eagle
AH-64 starts from airbase, supports ground armored assault on Sint-Annen to Rozenburg.

19 - Eagle Strike
AH-64 starts from airbase, assaults Haelen targets.

20 - Storm Beach
Rangers attack Colmont, outpost (hill), intersection and Fortmond.

21 - Dark Crown
Rangers assault bridge at N5, Wolsum and castle.

22 - Shiny Jewel
M2A2 bradley's start tubbergen, assault farm, house, charlois and hoorn/bridge 3.

23 - Copper Shell
M2A2 bradley's attack farm, pekela, oss and beckum.

24 - Green Sabre
M2A2 bradley's attack colmont, fortmond, kessel and moorsel.

25 - Gold Shield
Army guys attack sittard

26 - Beggar Beach
Army guys attack bergh

27 - Black Bat
SEALs take out SCUDs on ruined town.

28 - Tired Bear
SEALs destroy enemy field HQ at H6 mountain high.

29 - Steel Arrow
Abrams attack houses, farm, maarn and camerig.

30 - Red Blood
Abrams M1A1 tanks attack farm, houses, farm and Marum.

31 - Grey Lions
Abrams M1A1 tanks attack house, farm and Haelen.

32 - Lion Cave
Abrams M1A1 tanks defend against quick counterattack on Haelen.

33 - Night Warrior
Rangers assault Zalne and Boxtel.

34 - Star Response
Army guys start Maarn and assaults Asten capitol.

34a - cutscene 2
War ends.

If you want to help by providing feedback & suggestions and agree that this is piece of crap ALPHA version of the island and campaign, then feel free to download this package below.

Addons used: BAS Delta/Ranger v1.50. MH-60 Blackhawk. JAM2. LSD dock landing ship. CoC Unified Artillery. CoC Mines. etc. The island is configured to require OFP v1.96 ...

Whopping 1.3mb download April 11th, 2004. Alpha 1.

bikecop
Recruit

Re: PMC_Euro 25km island + campaign

Post by bikecop » 2004-04-11 01:21:03

Good european campign,yes?
Sounds fun..me have nother question why dont you use Suchey and earls us marines? but that can be answered later...

I dont really got any stories at the moment cuz I never really planned for it.

hotshot
Recruit

Post by hotshot » 2004-04-11 11:05:26

Looks GREAT stuff! Who (which addon) will be used for the SEALs though?

EDIT: The island looks very good too layout wise. Will you use any of that long/3D grass on it?
Last edited by hotshot on 1970-01-01 00:00:00, edited 1 time in total.
ofpbase
Life is impossible, everyone who's tried its died.

Snake_Man

Post by Snake_Man » 2004-04-12 05:56:07

Good european campign,yes?
Hehe I dont know, you tell me? ;)
why dont you use Suchey and earls us marines?
I really dont know, I have tried them only once for like 5 minutes in the desert island. I think it was as they were optional download for the ECP which I tested (again, the 5 minutes my OFP kept running without a CTD).

Are those Marine units any good, really?
Who (which addon) will be used for the SEALs though?
I have been waiting for the BAS SEALs for so long now that I've had enough of that. Right now I'm evaluating SJB's "Tears Of The Sun" SEALs, but to me frankly that movie theme is comical as the movie sucked so much. Of course while using them on a mission, there is no references to the movie I believe.

BAS SEALs = yeah maybe in 2008.
SJB SEALs = undecided.

Ideas?

Btw I also made my first reply to the BIS forums PMC_Euro topic.

hooahman

Post by hooahman » 2004-04-12 06:29:42

Yes!!! Suchey & Earl's Marines are extremely well made...one of the best (if not the best) addons out there IMO.

And how are you using BAS' SEALs? They aren't released yet :P! Do you mean the Rangers/Deltas.... ::) ;)

Snake_Man

Post by Snake_Man » 2004-04-12 18:29:26

Yes!!!  Suchey & Earl's Marines are extremely well made...one of the best (if not the best) addons out there IMO.
I will re-evaluate them, I admit it was very short test and maybe the ECP effected my judgement a bit. Would anyone have any suggestions for cool Marine missions which I could slip into the campaign? 
And how are you using BAS' SEALs?  They aren't released yet
I am not using those SEALs. I just said
I have been waiting for the BAS SEALs for so long

shinRaiden
Captain

Post by shinRaiden » 2004-04-12 20:30:31

Another small map. :'(

;)

Looks really good. Bah to the nay-sayer's who say it will take forever to fill in the vegetation, they obviously don't know the power of the region tool.

hotshot
Recruit

Post by hotshot » 2004-04-12 23:40:40

Bah to the nay-sayer's who say it will take forever to fill in the vegetation, they obviously don't know the power of the region tool.
Oh hell yeah! That has got to be THE most time saving tool in WrpTool :)
And good chocie with th SEALs IMO Snake. SJB says he will be updating his SEALs too though, but i should think names will remain the same and only be visual difference so no problems in screwing up the missions.
Also, with this campaign, will it be like CWC, where you have a different bloke for each role (like one guy for Ranger missions, one for Tanker, one for regular infantry...)?
Will you use any of that long/3D grass on it?
Anyword on that yet?
ofpbase
Life is impossible, everyone who's tried its died.

Snake_Man

Post by Snake_Man » 2004-04-13 03:57:45

good chocie with th SEALs IMO Snake. SJB says he will be updating his SEALs too though
Yes the question is still somewhat open on the SEALs, but lets be frank here... BAS will not going to be releasing their SEALs in next couple of days, SJB stuff is out NOW with few machinegunner shooting 2 round bursts bugs, yet they are out and generally very nice.

I think its going to be the SJB guys for SEALs in this campaign.
this campaign, will it be like CWC, where you have a different bloke for each role (like one guy for Ranger missions, one for Tanker, one for regular infantry...)?
Yes. I left it out from the original post, each of the team leader you play in the campaign would even have the name/face specified. This is what I came up on my own, please help to tweak it for better:

SEAL team leader - Carlos Edwards
Ranger team leader - Steve Gross
Army squad leader - Gordon McKenzie
Bradley commander - Roger Tuchek
Abrams commander - David Rubin
Apache pilot - Bob Walton
Will you use any of that long/3D grass on it?
Oh sorry missed this one (or maybe I tried hard to avoind answering, heh). Long/3d grass sounds to me like bad news on the lag department and also I even dont know which grass you're talking about. So in those terms the answer is no.
Last edited by Snake_Man on 1970-01-01 00:00:00, edited 1 time in total.

Snake_Man

Post by Snake_Man » 2004-04-13 18:36:39

Just to recap the sheer size of this island compared to the 12km ones, here is example image when Everon has been added to the SW corner.

1200x1200 high res

Here is what I have now planned for additional roads and two new bridges. Colors are as follows;

Black = existing road
Yellow = new planned road
Purple = new planned bridge

1200x1200 high res

Comments, ideas, anything?

Also I'm trying to make the Agent Smith Port pack to work but its difficult to get the piers and docks to align correctly so they dont go underwater. I'll keep working on it.

If you take a close look at the images posted above, you should see the added forests now too. All initial designed forests are now placed. There is no individual objects at this moment but I'll work on them next.

Send that feedback, is precious and highly appreciated commodity in PMC_Euro island.
Last edited by Snake_Man on 1970-01-01 00:00:00, edited 1 time in total.

Snake_Man

Post by Snake_Man » 2004-04-16 23:41:42

New version is available for download & testing!

changelog

Apr 17th, 2004. alpha 2
- Added few dirt roads to connect farms.
- Added dirt roads to go along the river from Asten to bridge 1 / Galder.
- Added bridge 9 with road near base 2 and sea port.
- Added forests (everon type). All forests are now in.
- Added individual trees both everon and nogova style.
- Added only few bushes now, more will be added later.
- Fixed some road and bridge alignment.
- Fixed some stupid looking elevations around the island with some blur.
- Added farmland (you know farmers fields) to few farms.
- Added Agent Smith Port facilities to two places in Sea Port bay.
- Minor tweaks to few city building placements.
- Fixed the textures in forest cells.

Apr 11th, 2004. alpha 1 first release
- slim Alpha 1 released to the public in PMC & BIS forums.

I suggested two new bridges, first near army base 2 and Alverna, second near the north east part of the island. So far I added the first one with connecting roads. There is now all forests added, the new ones are everon type. Some individual trees have been added, but there still is basically no bushes and lot of open space (is open areas good or bad?).

There has been no changes for the campaign. Hopefully for the next version I'll upgrade it a bit

The first post of this topic still contains those open questions for island name, campaign timeline etc etc. Please help me out on that, I'll do the work you guys feed me with ideas/suggestions.

Download 2.1mb April 17, 2004 Alpha 2

Snake_Man

Post by Snake_Man » 2004-04-20 20:35:21

New version of the island & campaign is available.

changelog

Apr 20th, 2004. alpha 3
- Added Baracken stuff as base buildings & towers.
- Changed BIS blackops for SJB NAVY SEALs in six missions.
- Added bushes.
- Added trees.

I'm very interested to hear your comments about the added single vegetation, do they already cause a lag or is it still enjoyable to play. Also note that the older alpha versions are available from our web server at the moment, if you want to make comparisons, just dont get confused with the different version pbos :)

Please send suggestions for the campaign mission date/time settings and everything else you come up with. All is much appreciated.

Download 2.2mb April 20th, 2004 Alpha 3.

bikecop
Recruit

Post by bikecop » 2004-05-22 16:56:33

ohh and about those marines they rock your socks off

whammo

Post by whammo » 2004-05-24 15:48:07

Could you please direct me to a link that has the "Agent Smith Harbor kit" add-on?

I can't seem to find any mention of it anywhere.

Thanks

Snake_Man

Post by Snake_Man » 2004-05-25 11:06:44

I believe www.ofp.info has it online. It should be also on any major OFP addon web site. I dont have the direct link here.

whammo

Post by whammo » 2004-06-20 22:11:14

Good range of missions. However, I would like to suggest one thing for the earlier SEAL missions.

I suggest you leave a truck or jeep lying around for the seals to use.

In one mission, it took me 1 hour and 59 minutes to complete, mostly due to travelling by foot.

Thanks

ArcAngel

Post by ArcAngel » 2004-08-12 04:27:18

PMC Euro 2005

Recommendations.

1. Hiding places;

a. Center of big, huge forest are better fit for this. Remove some trees and place some rocks for cover and leave some open space, like to place tents if the mission maker wants.
b. You can remove the trees in the center of a hill with a forest and make like a depression land feature simulating a volcano opening. That opening will be a good hiding place.

2. Make a MEGA BASE;

a. MEGA BASE are use to support real life operations in HUGE areas like the map has it.
b. MEGA BASE should be like for Example SelecThis SEBNAM Map with a small Airport at the side.
c. MEGA BASE will be the Tactical Operating Center for operations around the map so it should be located close to the center of the map to make it easy for Reinforcement troops or Rapid Reaction Forces to reach the conflict area.
d. MEGA BASE should have access to an Airport and Seaport. So it will be excellent if the MEGA BASE is located close to the river so that the map maker can conduct waterborne operations or duck an LSD ship close to the base.

3. Small OUTPOST;

a. Since the region is so HUGE, Small OUTPOST on the country side will be necessary to cover the entire area of operations.
b. Small OUTPOST 2 versions.
1. First one consist of Sand Bags, Tents, Helicopter Pad, and a perimeter without obstacles.
2. Second one consist of Barracks, Radio Barracks, Small Hospital, Helicopter Pad, Walls with concertina wire to protect internal perimeter buildings, external perimeter with sandbags, look towers and a perimeter without obstacles.

Or one or the other to reduce LAG since different kind of building make the map more LAGY. Second one is better is that is the case.

c. Since the Map is so HUGE if there is a firefight in an OUTPOST the MEGA BASE in the center of the map will be able to send reinforcement to any area of operations through, AIR, SEA, and LAND in the minimum time.

4. LAG Problems Reduce.

a. The more objects of a different kind the more this map will LAG because is HUGE. The best way to avoid lag is not to mix buildings of different kinds around the map if that building serve for the same purpose. Example;
1. Do not use old OFP Bases object if you are using MapFact Barracks. Only use MapFact Barracks that are better looking and you will have same things of the same design. It will reduce Lag.
2. If you are using MapFact Barracks in Green Color, stay with green, do not change it to Desert or Urban Barracks objects because is going to make the map LAG.
b. To reduce LAG Deserts are very useful.

5. Make a MODERN atmosphere;

a. The best way to make a modern atmosphere is to use MAPFACT objects for the map.
b. Airport, Seaport, and Barracks buildings should be from MapFact.

6. PMC Euro 2005;

Change the name to PMC Euro 2005, to make it sound like the Island is Modern.

Rafael 8)

ArcAngel

Post by ArcAngel » 2004-08-12 05:24:33

Forgot to mention,

Make the bridges high enough so that an LSD ship can pass under it. Example bridge number 8.

KEEP THE GOOD WORK, SnakeMan.

Rafael ;D

lilwillie
Recruit

Post by lilwillie » 2004-08-16 13:11:52

morning

first, let me say since this is my first post since I finally registared that I have enjoyed all of the PMC projects that have been done. Fury, Ranger Path, the CoC campaign. Very happy with all of them and even with my slow-ass PC have been able to find ways to play them all.

I've just started the PMC_Euro campaign, a few thoughts that are in my head.

Although not your fault, mostly mine, the addons have been a pain to dig up, seems I missed the SJB Seal addon in part, all I have are the weapons, goof on my part. Maybe a list in the read me with the full names for us morons ;)

The island so far, since I have only played two missions.

1. roads seem to have gaps approaching bridges in places.

2. some roads going to towns make no sense, if a town is located on a flat area the road snaking around the town before entering it looks goofy. If there is foliage or rocks seperating the road from a direct path that would make sense.

3. Airports, if they are considered a military one, should be lightly defended: fences, sandbags and such.

4. In the wide open expanses, possibly a slight rise and fall of hills, so a battle in the area would be feasible. troops attacking on flat ground towards each other seems out of place, but hills to try and take, even small, would be interesting. Also, it would take away the 500 meter shots that make it easy to wipe out a platoon.

5. More farms? alot of open space, if not hilly how about farms with the crop fields, or is that a lag issue?

6. I am not well versed on addons or modding, so my ideas may seem out of wack. I am just attempting to get into making my own islands with your WRPtool, yes, I am reading the manual :)

Anyway, thanks for the mods and addons, it makes my OPF playing very enjoyable. Even with a P3 550mhz pile of W98se crud. I know, Wrptool won't work, but I am hoping to upgrade to a killer PC in a short time.

Snake_Man

Post by Snake_Man » 2004-08-16 15:04:02

the addons have been a pain to dig up, seems I missed the SJB Seal addon in part
Here is the SJB SEAL BIS topic and the SJB SEAL page for you. All SJB stuff.
if a town is located on a flat area the road snaking around the town before entering it looks goofy. If there is foliage or rocks seperating the road from a direct path that would make sense.
I do plan to tweak the towns a bit.
3. Airports, if they are considered a military one, should be lightly defended: fences, sandbags and such.
Again the airport is not complete, it doesnt even have the AI landing config written yet.

lilwillie
Recruit

Post by lilwillie » 2004-08-16 16:21:21

:-[ i know now that I un-rar it to the wrong folder, I don't even have to go home and look. kids climbing all over you when your playing do that to a guy :-[

Thank you for the link, it was where I got it, I know I opened it to the wrong directory ::)

Again, great island/addon. the more I play I will chime in.

lilwillie
Recruit

Post by lilwillie » 2004-08-17 14:07:37

Missions 1-4

Mission 1. Possibly more going on in the town at the start. As in pedestrian traffic, parked cars, and such. Maybe even have a police car take off after you for high tailing out of town. Then they get fubared by the russkies as they roll threw. Also, have the chicks and troops start in back of a building or on the side of the street.

Good start mission though, I like the way it plays at the base.

Mission 2. Very good, I heard the explosions behind me, turned, wondered "how the hell did they hit that already?" went to look and took a round to the head from a Spetnaz. Nasty, just nasty. Nice way to make you stay heads up. I managed to get in a tower, and draw fire from incoming troops, then sent my men threw the blown holes in the rear and flanked the hell out of everyone.

Mission 3. LOOOONG run, but still interesting. I like the SJB seals alot. Never fired a shot, only saw one patrol and the one hind. Never firing a shot bummed me at first but then I thought "no, mission perfect, noone even knew I was there".

Maybe some russian helo transports going over head or passing threw, to give the effect of a invasion force building up troop strength?

Mission 4. LOOOONGer run, ran into a few patrols and laid perfect ambushes for them. Reconing the towns where a little too easy. Maybe multiple spots to recon from for each town?

In both 3 and 4, possibly more traffic on the roads, passing trucks and such just for effect? Maybe I just was to sneaky and never ran into any? With 4, I made sure to save at the last town. I definately will go back and make a assualt on the town for the fun of it, 6 on a whole bunch, seems fair to me

joekidds
Recruit

Post by joekidds » 2004-08-23 05:45:22

i dont like it how you at first use the regular ofp untis with jam then use much better looking units later on. looks funky
I uploaded the PMC Fury Radio voices, missions 1-53! get it here: http://www.freewebs.com/joekidds/pmcfuryradio1-11.rar (11mb)

VTE moddb profile:
http://mods.moddb.com/5240/

lilwillie
Recruit

Post by lilwillie » 2004-08-23 17:05:29

Mission 5, looong but interesting. I got caught up in a town playing around with some russians by accident. Seemed to not look ahead and stumbled into the patrol and troops in town without thinking. Good mission, again, more traffic, just passing trucks and such, flyovers.

The defenses on the hilltops seemed asleep, easy pickings. the .50 cal gunners where really asleep, one took a 9mm to the back of the head from 1 meter.

Mission 6, the AA gun one, I again found it alot more fun to tangle with the town defenses then climb the hills. The AI in the town was cool, with troops coming in after the towns cleared. Took awhile but I finally assembled enough RPG rounds to obliterate the AA implacements.

What was the idea behind the radio calls? I hit them and it sent me wherever I needed to go, but what was the reasoning behind them?

Mission 7, first one with the Rangers. I really enjoyed this one, hitting the fuel depot incorrectly on the first try sure had me pinned and fubared in no time. I ended up heading north of the town, then sweeping in threw the fields, with the woods as my backdrop. firing and moving very fast, sweep the area and boogied east before all hell broke loose.

Very good stuff so far, I retract the earlier statement about more rolling hills, they are fine, and the farms seem spread nicely but more of them would be cool.

Snake_Man

Post by Snake_Man » 2004-08-23 19:31:42

Mission 5, looong but interesting. I got caught up in a town playing around with some russians by accident.
Yes indeed the early SEAL missions are quite long walks and boredom, but believe me when the stuff hits the fan and ruskies get contact on you... its no picknick :)

But still some of the distances on the wide open are quite "different" from the original and normal user made islands. It was my goal to make this island big and wide open spaces, true... but I'm slowly considering adding scattered tree groups here and there to give at least SOME concealement for lurking infantry guys.

Any thoughts on that?
again, more traffic, just passing trucks and such, flyovers.
Yes I will add more activity on the roads and in the air to the next release.
The defenses on the hilltops seemed asleep
Hmm I got some trouble when I tried to take few of them, I just chose to send in cruise missiles after they killed me few times :)

But if I recall the UA + CM is only on the internal version I have here... it will change the gameplay a bit.
What was the idea behind the radio calls? I hit them and it sent me wherever I needed to go, but what was the reasoning behind them?
Ugh sounds like a debug leftovers. I have fixed those now on the internal version, at least I didn't get them when I tested the SEAL missions.
Mission 7, first one with the Rangers. I really enjoyed this one, hitting the fuel depot incorrectly on the first try sure had me pinned and fubared in no time.
I was thinking of adding some tanks there and perhaps some armor moving through the area. But it would need to be tweaked so that the poor rangers wont have to take too many T-72/80's on the fight :)
Very good stuff so far, I retract the earlier statement about more rolling hills
This goes into the same concealement thing, it would be nice to have some bumps and ditches in the open area to have some place to hide, but I'm not sure how to make them look realistic... and what I've seen the basic european landscape there is not necessarily that much huge holes in the ground. Small hilltops of course are different story.

But I'll try to fill in the concealement issue with few sparse tree groups. I dont want to add too many of them, I dont want to create lag.
the farms seem spread nicely but more of them would be cool.
Yes the island is so damned huge I think we need some more farms and areas of human activity. I'll look into it, but at least few farms is coming in the future versions.

lilwillie
Recruit

Post by lilwillie » 2004-08-24 13:08:44

Trees or possibly rocks in the open spaces would be a good idea, concealment options would be nice on the wide open areas. Maybe with the extra farms added that would take care of the issue?

A few times I was caught in the wide open by patrols, but instead of running for cover I just advanced hard and fast.

The Ranger mission works well right now, a few t-72's or a t-80 would really step it up. I suppose some AT-4 launchers in the ranger squad would be in order. With them I would even stick around and raise hell with the BMP's that pop in to see what is going on :)

joekidds
Recruit

Post by joekidds » 2004-08-24 22:25:21

the only problem with jam is the law isnt powerful enough to destroy a bmp in 1 hit. and the rpg has so much more ammo than the law soldier
I uploaded the PMC Fury Radio voices, missions 1-53! get it here: http://www.freewebs.com/joekidds/pmcfuryradio1-11.rar (11mb)

VTE moddb profile:
http://mods.moddb.com/5240/

lilwillie
Recruit

Post by lilwillie » 2004-08-25 13:21:46

I think the JAM is on target, in speaking with my brother (USMC) he has told me the LAW is not as powerfull as TV and the movies has made it out to be, if the shot is not dead on a kill isn't guarenteed. I will concure that there should be a chance for a one shot BMP kill, it can happen. Laws are big and bulky, so less being carried is not abnormal, one shot one kill. RPG's with the opurtunity to reload give you the option of packing a ton of them in a rear pack and having the multiple shots.

Just look at the images from Najaf this week. Many insurgents carrying 3+ extra rpg rounds on thier back. They want a Abrams kill that bad.....

lilwillie
Recruit

Post by lilwillie » 2004-09-05 00:42:23

next mission on the list,,

Rangers taking the base, Good mission. Took a few tries to find a sweet spot to assualt from so I wouldn't use up to much ammo before hitting the base. From the north working south took it in no time. The soldiers in the base where cake.

Thanks for the squads sneaking around, stumbled a few times into hell. Best part about the Rangers, just attack, fast and hard and in seconds the firefights over.

In the base a few things, couldn't climb any towers. the soldiers where pretty asleep for me nailing the patrol squad and .50 gunners outside it. Think the trigger should be set to let them know all hell is breaking loose.

The backup was a little small I thought, maybe a few more choopers, it is a important battle. Winning a strategic posistion. Also, the BMP's where just starting to haul ass towards the base in counter attack mode and the mission ended because the reinforcements made it to the base. Kinda peed me off, I had a nice bead on the lead one just as he crested the hill, perfect hull shot and then the mission ended. I was like "damn, hell of a way to win, with armor right on top of us..."

Oh, and a new PC to use on these campaigns sure makes the playing fun, I had squat compared to what it's like now ;D

Snake_Man

Post by Snake_Man » 2004-09-05 09:09:35

In the base a few things, couldn't climb any towers.
I can climb the baracken towers just fine. Hmm any ideas what might be wrong, what caused that you could not climb them, no climb ladder action menu appeared?
the soldiers where pretty asleep for me nailing the patrol squad and .50 gunners outside it. Think the trigger should be set to let them know all hell is breaking loose.
Yeah this is already in my fixes list, I'll improve the base defenses, ending trigger and so on.
The backup was a little small I thought, maybe a few more choopers
Any suggestions or additional details how would you like to see it?
the BMP's where just starting to haul ass towards the base in counter attack mode
Hmm I dont think there is planned/scripted counter attack "feature" in the mission, its just good old OFP mech inf on GUARD waypoint.
and the mission ended because the reinforcements made it to the base.
Perhaps build here good/long/interesting counter attack by the russians.

Also to add like radio command "End Mission." what the player can use when he feels that the mission is completely over?
Oh, and a new PC to use on these campaigns sure makes the playing fun, I had squat compared to what it's like now
Tell me about it. Going from 1.3ghz, 512mb ram, gforce2 machine to 2ghz, 1gb ram, radeon 9800 machine makes the old missions feel like too weak. Of course them being "weak" also mean they are very nice to play since there is no lag whatsoever.

lilwillie
Recruit

Post by lilwillie » 2004-09-05 16:35:40

I would get near or in front of a ladder and no pop up menu was available for the ladder. Was caryying a RPG, and full load of gear but that shouldn't have anything to do with it...

The backup would maybe included a chinook with a larger force of regular grunts and the Blackhawk with extra Delta boys. Maybe a gunship for backup.

That may make the BMP's toast, but it would make sense, I doubt I would want to go into a "hot lz" with no air support for my troops.

Other than that the mission played really well, it was a good planned mission. In the scheme of things it would make sense that the US forces would want to grab the base back ASAP before it became to heavily defened. It is a stategic posistion for the area.

A end mission radio call may be nice, there is always that last strageling Russian that may screw things up if the end trigger isn't the backup arriving in the base.

lilwillie
Recruit

Post by lilwillie » 2004-09-13 16:53:19

Hungry Bear and Ghost Cross, dont change a thing, best missions I have played in a looooong time. Well thought out, great AI, hard fights.

Love the extractions. Had a blast laying down cover fire for my guys loading up, then getting out still taking rounds.

lilwillie
Recruit

Post by lilwillie » 2005-03-14 14:48:13

it's been awhile, but back

threw to the first large armor M1 Abrams mission. Can't remember all the details of missions I have played but I can say I have been very happy with the play style of them. Nothing pops out as a needed change except possibly some transportation on some missions that are long. Humvees for patrols. Which is a common use. Armor missions, with the Bradleys and Abrams some air support for maybe just a one time come in and hit and out. Makes sense. Most every operation run would have AS of some sort for tactical reason.

One thought, Always loading and transporting to Lz, then a walk to the area to strike. Missions could start just ready to strike, with a intro as. "Dropped off and in OP ready to strike." Also the info on map screen is the same for most mission. Possibly give each one it's own personality.

Reacher
1st Lt

Post by Reacher » 2005-06-03 05:55:10

Snake, I just downloaded the PMC Euro file and was looking over the add-ons that will be needed. I'm a bit confused though. Can you point me to an up-to-date list of the addons needed? If I missed it, then I'm sorry, but I see you switched to the SJB seal team and are not using the Delta/Rangers.

You know I get confused easily, so help an old dude out and give me a list of the addons I'll need. :-[

Yes I did read the "read-me"

Look forward to digging into this new island and campaign!

Reacher 8)

Snake_Man

Post by Snake_Man » 2005-06-03 10:22:43

I believe its the SJB seals yes, dunno if there are download links anywhere except in BIS forums SJB SEAL topic.

However, good news is that if you can hold just a few more days, you'll get new version of the island and campaign with very very good stuff, believe me.

Readme's will be fixed to much better quality and easier to find addon links etc. So, stay tuned to this topic...

Reacher
1st Lt

Post by Reacher » 2005-06-03 22:40:38

Great news, Snake. I'll wait a bit before tackleing this project.

I found the SBJ website and it's a nice site. All their downloads are available... with an update coming for the SBJ Seals.

I read the BIS forum where a few of those guys tried to take a shot or two at your Euro campaign. heh heh.... I wonder how many of them have actually played one of your campaigns? ;)

I thought you were very professional in your responses in which you basically told them if they didn't like it they could kiss your ass. Well, not in so many words... ;D

Keep em' coming, Snake...

Reacher

lilwillie
Recruit

Post by lilwillie » 2005-06-13 22:06:30

well, back in the fold so to speak and did in fact finish the 25km campaign but am at work and it has been a awhile since I have finished it.

What I can say is bravo, well done. I did enjoy the remainder of the campaign. Only being able to play it here and there the last few months has my memory fuzzy on details.

Should have keeped notes. But I digress,

Anyhoo, look forward to a update. Good job.
Last edited by lilwillie on 1970-01-01 00:00:00, edited 1 time in total.

Reacher
1st Lt

Post by Reacher » 2005-06-13 22:52:21

I keep hearing good things about this campaign and am really wanting to experience it myself. I guess I could go ahead and get the addons required, but I'm going to wait, as Snake said, for the next update...(hint, hint, Snake) ;)

I'm at the point now of replaying the other two campaigns for the 10th time, (maybe more). One thing that does spice things up is to use the Finnish Defense Mod to play Snake's campaigns. The added realism and sound really does them justice.

Reacher 8)

Snake_Man

Post by Snake_Man » 2005-06-14 04:04:14

You could say about the release that right now I'm wondering around the room scratching my head like "What have I missed, what is still to edit?" so to speak. I mean its that close to a release.

I know few bugs like mis-aligned roads to bridges and base fence dont match the ground texture, but these two for example would require pretty much completely dumping the old stuff and reworking it. I'm trying to figure the best course of action for these.

So the campaign you see on the first post is looking absolutely great. The island is looking very good and the another campaign I'm making for it is getting additional details but not sure if I can complete it before release time.

I still cannot promise any release dates, but it should be really close. Stay tuned guys...

privateguba

Post by privateguba » 2005-09-14 00:55:56

:D Heya Snake.

You have a great Island and campaign pack there. Please don't give up on perfecting it. It's already very enjoyable, here are only a few suggestions:

The Island:

First: What a GREAT island! I can't believe it's 25x25, with a good level of detail, plenty of forrests and vegetation, and still I can play your campaign at 3000m viewdistance at around 30fps! Amazing! 8)

The only suggestions I can make are:

Please, try to keep the great performance. If you can keep the lag down, even if I have to lower the VD to 2000m, but still keep around 30fps in missions, I don't mind if its comparatively emptier than normal smaller islands. A sugestion would be to use more farm plantation textures. Hopefully they are not laggy, I hope they have the same performance hit as the normal grass textures. This would make the great empty plains more realistic and easier to accept, and in tune with some European terrain. A few more shrubs here and there, a few farm houses and barns, a few isolated wood cottages, a few hunting outposts (those elevated wooden ones you used on the smallville island) and a great European farmland setting would be done. Also, add a few more 'earth track' roads connecting some farms.

Some of the mountains and hills that have no trees, you could make them with rock textures, at least the upper half. Also, put a few isolated rocks, and a few 'Stonehengelike' formations here and there.

VERY IMPORTANT: => Don't use those coblestone roads, unless inside the cities. They make the cars go very slow (no more than 50km/h) and that's the last thing we need in an island of this size. Use the normal Nogova asfalt roads, they're also the best for avoiding AI crashes because they are wider.

Make the airport runway bigger. An Island of this size makes more realistic the presence of a bigger airbase that could receive the bigger cargo airplanes and bombers. At least 2.5km of lenght, even if in OFP the bigger planes seem to have STOL capabilities. Also try to make it isolated like those NATO bases in Germany. It shouldn't be possible to get a good look inside it from any city or field or hill around it, up to a viewdistance of at least 2000m. Have a fence all around it, with guard posts at regular intervals, forrests around it, a bigger guard post on top of a hill (maybe with a radar station) if there's a hill near it, etc. Also remember not to put any hangar or control tower right beside the runway or even at least 100 meters near it. (You seem to already know this, but it's a very common error in some otherwise great islands I've seen, so I better play it safe and remember that). Put a military base inside the airport perimeter but about 1 km away from the main airport buidings and hangars, to avoid clutering and lag, and also to have a realistic protection for the airbase nearby. This kind of airbase would be of itself a realistic cause for the soviet invasion of the island, for the strategical value of it. It would be an important base for their big bombers to attack the USN aircraft carrier groups in the case of WW3, for example.

Build a bigger city at the coast or an emptier spot along the river bank. This avoids lag and gives a realistic main city. You could make a big 'habitation' capital near the river bank and/or a big Harbour/Industrial city at the coast. If you consider real life big cities, you'll see that they usually don't have a big forrest nearby, and they are usually built at the coasts or near big rivers or lakes, this is a great excuse to build them near the coast and away from bigger forrest clumps, avoiding lag. Have the city be surrounded by a few farmland fields and houses and smaller hills and vegetation clumps, maybe a very small forrest clump, for more realism and cover for aproaching infantry.

I have to repeat that this is a great island, and perfectly realistic if you consider some of the European landscape. It's become my favorite editor island. It's incredible that it probably has much more objects than normal BIS style islands, but runs much better. It's a pity that clutter causes so much lag in OFP, the great performance of your island is the biggest proof of that.

The campaign:

I'm only on the first BAS units mission so far (the one to destroy the fuel base). At first, on the SEAL missions, I thought the long walks were boring. However, as I discovered that I could play at 3000m, it became almost a whole new game. Using the binocs to spot patrols and avoid them, much easier terrain navigation using far away cities, forrests and hills to triangulate my position, choosing carefully my routes and my aproach to the targets... Those SEAL missions reminded me of my first few months playing OFP, when the original islands still seemed huge and the freedom of aproach was unparaled by any other game. I'm reminded that many user missions lately have been very 'limited'. You give us a big 'playground' that may seem deceptively empty...

In the SEAL missions, there are many cities with juicy opportunity targets: fuel and ammo trucks, BRDM's, etc. I couldn't help but think of making a little bigger contribution to the preparations for the NATO counterattack. Well, in the last SEAL mission I couldn't resist and disobeyed the ROE. I carefully aproached a town that had many such targets and sucefully attacked it. However, once I got rid of the city troops and the patrol nearby, I had to aproach the city from the forrest from which I made the attack, to get the explosives to destroy the trucks etc. Well, as I was destroying the last truck, one of my soldiers spotted an enemy patrol. 'No problem', I thought, 'get rid of them and run to the forrest'. Well, as we were finishing the last of this group another came from another direction. And another came from the other side. And another, with a BMP. And yet one more with a BMP. And- well you get the idea, you were the one that made the mission like that. Well, in the end I managed to reach to the forrest, injured, with only one soldier left, also injured. :'( And I don't think I would have made it if your russian troops didn't use the HD weapons... What can I say but that this is great mission making. 8)

Ok, so far the few things to notice are:

VERY IMPORTANT: =>In some missions you should have given us some Anti-Armour weapons and/or satchel charges. Like in the one to destroy the Shilkas. In fact I think the SEAL troops would get to choose the weapons for such a dangerous mission. The same thing goes for this first BAS mission I'm playing right now. No satchel charges, no LAWs. It makes destroying the fuel trucks much more dangerous than it should be, as I have to aproach the dead soldiers or ammo boxes, scavenge explosives or AT rockets from them and only then blow up the trucks. I don't think this is realistic, it's extremely dangerous with precious seconds lost in the proccess. I've been surrounded by reaction forces repeatedly because of this. I don't think this is realistic, real troops wouldn't want to risk so many seconds, even minutes sometimes, because of poor weapon selection. So, give us a big weapon selection to choose from, please.

Suggestions:

I agree with whoever said to add traffic along the roads. Put one Ural with a few troops, one UAZ and one BRDM also with troops in long, circular routes around the big mission area, in different roads and/or directions from each one, sometimes reversing directions. This way, it seems there are many of each, without adding too many more troops and keeping lag down. Also add one convoy with Fuel and Ammo Urals escorted by a BMP to add more 'risky temptation targets' in some missions instead of the BRDM or UAZ or Ural with troops.

Add Spetsnatz patrols with high skill (ability to see you from greater distances than normal patrols). Groups of 3 spetznats + 1 sniper. Have 2 of these spetnatz patrols: One near one of the main targets (by random probability different each time we play the mission) and another in a route patrolling the inside the forrests and big empty fields most likely to be used by the player for some nasty surprises. Also, no HD weapons for those Spetz. Have the spetsnatz carry satchel charges to further tempt the player to risk killing them and use the extra satchels to attack/ambush targets of opportunity.

Have one BMP along a big, circular patrol around the mission area.

Have one of the cities be a tank base instead of a truck base, both as a very risky target of opportunity as well as a big scare factor when attacking the main target and to make players think twice or tree times before attacking a target of opportunity. Have 4 T-72s or T-80s to avoid any unrealistic anti-tank Rambo-ing with scavenged RPG's. In these cities there would be, instead of the trucks plus the troops to guard them, there would be the tanks plus their crew outside them (if we plan to destroy them) plus a 4 spetsnatz group to guard them. Make the tanks locked to avoid turning the mission into a tank rush if the player chooses to attack them. Or, have the crews be inside the tanks after the first mission, as the crews would be warned of the possibility of attack from NATO spec-ops. In this case, it would be possible to use 1 AI T-80s to cut on Lag. When reacting to a player attack on the main targets, if the target is on top of a hill, have them patrol the area around the base of the hill along the main route the player would take to the next target.

Have some of the SEAL/BAS missions be during the night. In this case, give NVGs to the officer or leading soldier of the patrols . All spetznats/snipers should have NVGs.

Have a patrolling chopper in some missions. Especialy during the night, flying very slowly in long patrol routes with their searchlights on, for big ambiance. A MI-17 with a 9 man squad in one mission, a Hind with 4 spetsnatz in other, maybe a V-80 in yet another. The ones transporting troops would come in and unload their troops near the first target the player attacks. If there's no chopper patrolling the mission area have a probability of there being one rapid reaction force outside the mission area to come in and unload the troops as well.

Have a bad weather probability in at least one more mission. In one of the SEAL missions, the weather turned bad, it started to rain and my visibility fell to around 1500m. Have one of the missions happen with fog, visibility to 600m and some nefariously placed patrols, hehehe.

If you have the time and the patience: Keeps this campaign almost as it is, with only the weapons selection suggestion (Very Important) and chopper patrols and road traffic and keep it in the package. Then make a 'Deluxe' version, with the tanks, spetsnatz patrols, choppers, and more addon units for the folks with better hardware. For example:

The VITAPC pack, it's very popular, and would add better looking BMPs and BMDs and BTR-80's than the BIS ones, 1 AI ZSU-23 for AAA target and good quality russian spec-ops units.
The MTLB pack, also popular, for the SA-7 and ZSU-23(both on top of a MTLB or fixed gun emplacement) AAA units in the SEAL mission to destroy them, for example.
The BAS russian opfor pack, for the BRDM and UAZ with machineguns for the road patrols.
The DKM Tugunska also for AAA and Mi-28 Havoc for patrolling chopper.
The ORCS T-72, T-80 and T-90 tanks.
Footmunch's SU-27, Mig-23/27 for ambiance. For example, have a pair of SU-27 CAPatroling the whole island, making many passes over the mission area. Or a pair of MIG-27 or SU-25 to further defuse any temptation of stealing a tank or bullet-proof vehicle. Or parked/taking off from the airport when attacking it.
Footmunch's TU-22 bomber for ambiance at the airbase as well. One Tupolev 'Bear' and a B-52 for the US are also being made but I don't remember by whom.
Vit's Antonov 124 for airbase ambiance. Use an older version, the newest one is horribly laggy.

Some good looking russian normal infantry troops but with HD weapons. I think you made a great choice with those HD weapons. With the big empty spaces in the island, it gives better survival chances for the player. But the russian spec-ops troops should have normal weapons, IMO. ORCS has good looking normal army infantry, but I don't know if they have JAM HD mags compatibility.

COMBAT! APCs, MG Hummers and HEMMT trucks.
Some of the newer M1A2 or M60 addons (from SIG or INQ, can't really remember.)
DKM Comanche in a few missions instead of the Apache.
DKM ADATS for West missile AAA.
Some of the newer Apaches and Cobras (also can't remember who made them). The Cobras could take off from an stationary LSD.
Diesel's A-10 instead of the Apache in some missions(?). With the MTLB pack's SA-7, DKM's Tugunskas, Footmunch's SU-27 and Mig-23/27 it would make for some chalenging air missions to break the tension of the infantry missions, and your island has great performance for 3000m+ viewdistance.
Footmunch's F-15C/E or F-16 for ambiance or instead of the Apache in some missions.

For a more 'NATO alliance' feel in some missions:
German or British Tornado for ambiance or missions.
German troops (BWMOD) and armor and choppers in some missions instead of normal US infantry and armor and choppers. -or-
Frenchpoint troops and armor and choppers and planes in some missions...

This Island+Campaign pack is great. It's been giving me the same enjoyment as the FDF, CSLA2 and BAS Tonal packs. It's a diamond in the rough, it's already very enjoyable, and if you don't give up on it... wow. Keep up man, keep up! ;D ;D ;D