Guide for 3rd party theaters in FF6, FF 5.5.5

Falcon 4 general discussion (please no editing discussion)

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

XenonSurf
Recruit
Gaming Interests: Falcon 4.0
Editing Interests: Missions

Guide for 3rd party theaters in FF6, FF 5.5.5

Post by XenonSurf » 2014-10-18 14:14:57

Hi,
it has been said that FF is dead, but no, I'm still on the boat. Also why should I quit after doing lots of campaign and object edits since SP and FF3 in order to actually PLAY the sim (and not to make some wonderful looking releases)?
Because I was recently busy to take a deeper look in the latest 3rd party theaters, I want to share my results and give some starting hints for those who still enjoy playing FF. So here I go.

a) FF6

Comments: unstable, especially when going in the Setup menu where changes will sometimes cause CTD. Campaigns and TEs seem to work without flaws. Still because of theatre issues I like to play in FF 5.5.5.
FF 5.3 has said to be the most stable version of all FF, but probably the latest theatres won^t work if you transfer them manually. Still you may try doing the same procedures as here below.

Tips:
In the campaigns, I didn't yet see any scramble missions, but you can generate them on your own by changing the waypoints and actions on current ATO flights. Assign any waypoint to Sweep and change the takeoff time, but be sure to give them at least 10 minutes to takeoff, otherwise they will land as soon as their mission starts.

Issues:
problems with Balkans theatre, CTDs in the UI.
Solutions: Play Balkans in FF 5.5.5

b) Balkans Theatre, BalkansFF6-3 (Balkans 2.exe + Source.dat) for FF6, which seems to be identical with Balkans 1.1

Comments:
This one will not run in FF6, if you hit Start Campaign it goes CTD. You have to transfer it to FF 5.5.5.
The Docs are all located in Theaters\Balkans\Docs.

Tips:
After installing in FF6, transfer the Theaters\Balkans folder to FF 5.5.5 and change the theaters.lst file accordingly, making sure that there are NO empty return lines in it. You will then be able to play the campaigns and TEs.

Issues:
When chosing a squadron in campaign at the start, the ATO will appear, if you hit OK then only the default squadron 555 will load.
Solution: Instead of hitting OK, hit CANCEL, then you will start with the right squadron. Always quit and restart FF6 after going and returning in /from the 3D world (stability).

I will soon take a look at ITO2 and Aegean theatres and update this post.

Cheers,
XenonS

XenonSurf
Recruit
Gaming Interests: Falcon 4.0
Editing Interests: Missions

Re: Guide for 3rd party theaters in FF6, FF 5.5.5

Post by XenonSurf » 2014-10-18 15:29:31

Before making the notes for other theaters, in the meantime here are some install and cockpit tips.

Install of FF5 or FF6:
After installing FF5/FF6, install the Cockpit Pack 1.5, the numerous cockpits are the main reason why you play FF, right?

Cockpits:
It happens in some theatres or campaigns that there is no cockpit for the plane type you are going to fly. In this case you can load a parent cockpit model of the plane. For example, in the Balkans you want to fly the "EF Typhoon", but the F16 cockpit will load.
Solution:
Hit ESC and discard the mission, quit FF.
Go to art\ckptart
There is a folder TyphoonF2, use this cockpit for your campaign.
In the folder art\ckptart move all the files (not the folders!) into a dir BACKUP, then copy all the files from the TyphoonF2 folder into the main dir of art\ckptart.
open any 16_...dat 8_...dat files and change the entry below to this entry:

cockpit2d 2358 2358;

save the file. That's it! restart your campaign and you will fly with the EF 2000 cockpit!

Notes:
Some cockpits have hidden, undocumented features. Always play with the OSD buttons to see if there are special screens etc. For example, in the EF 2000 cockpit above there is a "Blank" screen, if you hit a upper right OSD, you get a moving map showing your position (as in the real thing, btw).

XenonS

Return to “Falcon 4 General”