Falcon Allied Force modders please post here!

Falcon 4 general discussion (please no editing discussion)

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

Sherlock
Lt. General
Gaming Interests: Falcon 4.0
Editing Interests: All, I (try) to edit everything.

Falcon Allied Force modders please post here!

Post by Sherlock » 2009-01-24 20:50:50

Who are the Falcon AF modders out there? Please post here so we can identify each other....

I think most of you know me, but if you don't I am Sherlock and I have been flying AF for over 3 years. Been modding it for over 2 years. My most notable modding relating contribution was working with Dr. Fred Balding (who did the actual work btw!) to determine how to get the "dark spots" off of the terrain when it was used in Allied Force. I figured out what the differences were between the old SP3/SP4 terrain L2/O2 and what Lead Pursuit had changed for Allied Force. Dr. Fred then changed his LXNormalFix application to correctly calculate the lighting normals for AF terrain and make those changes in the different levels of Terrain (L0/L1/L2/L3, etc.).

I have experience in most areas of theater building but have to admit it is beginner level in some, e.g., database editing (I've only tried adding a new weapon or modifying existing weapon characteristics).

My biggest dream for Falcon has always been (and continues to be) an Iran theater for Allied Force that is fully functioning. However, it looks like from the vote that ODS is the odds on favorite.

Chime in and let's get organized so we can get ODS for Allied Force moving! :)
Sherlock
Victurous te Saluto

Polak
Captain

Re: Falcon Allied Force modders please post here!

Post by Polak » 2009-01-25 02:45:47

Sherlock,
I have AF on my drive and not else.

However, I little fail to distinguish much of a difference what is so much of the difference in modding to AF vs. OF or whatever flavor of F4 else floating around. But then I really do not know too much about file structure of different Falcon versions.

The other thing I wanted to note, which is kind of my personal experience from other development and modding circles. It is very important to "connect" with one or few other members of the forum in some specific subject of mutual interest. Then the conversation really takes of and some serious and sometimes interesting discoveries are made. Else, the group is just fragmented and there is a lots of unfortunate frustration resulting from lack of progress generating exchanges.

Sherlock
Lt. General

Post by Sherlock » 2009-01-25 03:32:26

Polak wrote:Sherlock,
I have AF on my drive and not else.

However, I little fail to distinguish much of a difference what is so much of the difference in modding to AF vs. OF or whatever flavor of F4 else floating around. But then I really do not know too much about file structure of different Falcon versions.

The other thing I wanted to note, which is kind of my personal experience from other development and modding circles. It is very important to "connect" with one or few other members of the forum in some specific subject of mutual interest. Then the conversation really takes of and some serious and sometimes interesting discoveries are made. Else, the group is just fragmented and there is a lots of unfortunate frustration resulting from lack of progress generating exchanges.
@Polak, there are not large differences between the theater requirements for OF/AF/RV but they are there. For example, AF can only use .pcx format terrain tiles while OF/RV both use .dds format. Also, TacEdit will work on the .cam/.tac/.trn files for RV and OF but it will not work on the AF .cam/.tac/.trn files (you cannot open those files from AF in TacEdit; you get an error). You have use SuperPak 3 or 4 .cam/.tac/.trn files if you want to work on them with TacEdit, but once edits are done on them they will work in AF so that is good. There are other differences too. For instance, RV cannot use LoDEditor (or so I understand) for 3D model insertion/manipulation into the database while OF and AF can (but I am not a user of RV and have not tried it).

As far as "connecting" I have to say I agree with you 110%. That is why I started this thread so we could meet (at least virtually), discuss our interests in theater modding/building and, perhaps, find others who share our area of interest. Thus, building interest and interaction between us. Do you have any other interests in theater modding besides terrain tiles?
Sherlock
Victurous te Saluto

Echo300
Recruit

Post by Echo300 » 2009-01-26 16:18:44

I play AF only. I don't have much modding experience at all. But I'm working on remedying that... :)

Sherlock
Lt. General

Post by Sherlock » 2009-01-26 16:37:15

Echo300 wrote:I play AF only. I don't have much modding experience at all. But I'm working on remedying that... :)
Very cool. :)

My advice to read the forums, try using the utilities (LODEditor, TacEdit, DEM2Terrain, etc.), read the forums some more, etc.

That is the way I learned. Welcome to the wacky world of Falcon Modding! :)

What area(s) are you interested in working on?
Sherlock
Victurous te Saluto

Echo300
Recruit

Post by Echo300 » 2009-01-26 19:15:12

Sherlock wrote:
Echo300 wrote:I play AF only. I don't have much modding experience at all. But I'm working on remedying that... :)
Very cool. :)

My advice to read the forums, try using the utilities (LODEditor, TacEdit, DEM2Terrain, etc.), read the forums some more, etc.

That is the way I learned. Welcome to the wacky world of Falcon Modding! :)

What area(s) are you interested in working on?
Thanks.

Areas: db editing looks interesting (but hard). Terrain would be fun (but it looks completely bewildering). All this Tacedit, and objects, and links stuff being discussed recently seems important but looks to be well in hand (also hard).

Specific things: Very much interested in creating new airbases. Yeah, I know, I'm really jumping into the deep end... Also, I'd like to work on radio calls, specifically ATC. I'm also interested in new overcast clouds for AF (and any other .apl files).
Last edited by Echo300 on 2009-02-28 16:58:00, edited 1 time in total.

Luk
Brig. General

Post by Luk » 2009-01-30 08:12:26

Hi Sherlock.
I need help with this issue, I have posted about month ago : viewtopic.php?f=12&t=21712

post edited, text and picts removed... :wink:
Luk
Last edited by Luk on 2009-02-01 13:50:21, edited 1 time in total.

Sherlock
Lt. General

Post by Sherlock » 2009-01-30 15:24:05

Luk wrote:Hi Sherlock.
I need help with this issue, I have posted about month ago : viewtopic.php?f=12&t=21712
Thanks to CCC for the answer. I wanted to reply, but with some positive contribution... :?
There is a problem - AF simdata.zip is not readable in simple text editor (binary packed).
You have some hexedit skills and basic db skills as well. I want to fix model appearance problems and change the loadouts.
F1 can carry only Magic in AF- and not on wingtips, but huge hardpoint for it. The Matra 530 and S530 are missing.
I thing F1 will be very helpfull AC for unbalanced ODS campaing.

[photos edited out]

Thanks
Luk
Luk,

I see two different problems here:

1. Unable to read / edit packed binary simdata.zip to change aircraft appearance in sim (note those changes may or may not be supported by the AF exe).
2. Edits you want to make to hardpoints and/or weapons included for a particular aircraft.

I do not have much hexedit skills I am afraid. I've only used the hexedit to do the cockpit investigation I previously reported. There I was dealing with ascii strings in the binary file so it was easy to read and change those. Dealing with hex strings, etc., is something I know nothing about (that's coding stuff and I don't know anything about that).

I can edit (with LPBrowse) the hardpoints and add/change weapons available on a hardpoint. Is that what you want to do?
Sherlock
Victurous te Saluto

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief
Gaming Interests: ArmA, ArmA 2, Falcon 4.0 and OFP.

Post by Snake Man » 2009-01-30 17:27:58

Whoa, I almost missed how this topic has be derailed. The essence of it is:
Sherlock wrote:Who are the Falcon AF modders out there? Please post here so we can identify each other
What has simdata.zip got to do with being AF editing community member? Nothing.

So keep on topic, if you are interested in AF editing, please post here so Sherlock has better idea of who you guys are, but leave all other stuff to other topics.
PMC Tactical Forum New User Registration please read new info here.

PMC since 1984

Editing knowledge, visit PMC Editing Wiki
The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage
View our videos in PMC Youtube channel

PMC Tactical forum Advanced Search is power.

"ALPHA BLACK TO PAPA BEAR. ALL RUSSIANS ARE TOAST. OVER."

Sherlock
Lt. General

Post by Sherlock » 2009-01-30 18:25:35

Snake Man wrote:Whoa, I almost missed how this topic has be derailed. The essence of it is:
Sherlock wrote:Who are the Falcon AF modders out there? Please post here so we can identify each other
What has simdata.zip got to do with being AF editing community member? Nothing.

So keep on topic, if you are interested in AF editing, please post here so Sherlock has better idea of who you guys are, but leave all other stuff to other topics.
Very good point SM. Luk take our discussion to your thread that ccc answered you in and which you posted the link: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=21712

Let's keep this thread on topic for AF modders to post here, introduce themselves and what they want to learn and/or what they already know how to do and contribute to modding PMC Theaters for AF.
Sherlock
Victurous te Saluto

Cally
Recruit

Post by Cally » 2009-03-01 02:18:19

Ahoy Sherlock!

Sorry I'm late to the party but count me in! I'm largely new to Falcon modding but I have a good amount of game industry experience (my former career). Sadly this does not include much coding (I made my way from art & animation to planning & design). However, I'd love to get up to speed and contribute where I can. I've started editing vehicles & units in F4browse...

My preference for AF stems from the ability to jump into flights and add packages in campaign mode--it really kicks the already amazing campaign system up a notch. While I'd be happy to contribute art: a) it can be incredibly time intensive, b) much of the modding out there seems oriented toward orbit-view-eye-candy--which to be honest is not really why I play Falcon. It all boils down to exploiting that immersive campaign experience: flying more varied missions in more varied aircraft.

My interests are getting access to a set of AF tools so as to:
a) Enhance the fly-any-plane experience--ideally up to and including some jury-rigged form of helicopters. It may not be kosher to the hardcore simmers out there, but as far as I'm concerned, fly-any-plane adds an awful lot of fun to the campaign.
b) Expand the ground force database (see f below).
c) Improve the ground OOB--the current battalion unit mixes are simply bizarre (waay heavy on the AA for example).
d) (Wishful thinking): find a way to hack in ground clutter (trees, etc.) in a way that doesn't drag the system to its knees. (If there was a way to specify a small bubble for a particular set of ground objects...).

f) Ideally I'd like to concoct some 'realistic'-but-contained NATO-vs-Pact campaigns (1970's-80's). (I'm aware of the Europe theatre effort and perhaps I should contribute there, but the program manager in me says some of these theatres are pushing Falcon's campaign system past its limits in an effort to be all-inclusive).

But that being said, I'm here to learn and these are merely my impetus for wanting to help--not to limit my participation.

Thanks so much for this thread and your work Sherlock,
Cal

Sherlock
Lt. General

Post by Sherlock » 2009-03-01 16:18:01

Cally wrote: Ahoy Sherlock!

Sorry I'm late to the party but count me in! I'm largely new to Falcon modding but I have a good amount of game industry experience (my former career). Sadly this does not include much coding (I made my way from art & animation to planning & design). However, I'd love to get up to speed and contribute where I can. I've started editing vehicles & units in F4browse...

My preference for AF stems from the ability to jump into flights and add packages in campaign mode--it really kicks the already amazing campaign system up a notch. While I'd be happy to contribute art: a) it can be incredibly time intensive, b) much of the modding out there seems oriented toward orbit-view-eye-candy--which to be honest is not really why I play Falcon. It all boils down to exploiting that immersive campaign experience: flying more varied missions in more varied aircraft.
Hi Cal,
Welcome to PMC Tactical. Good to have you "aboard"! :) (Love that naval slang....even though I'm a ex-USAF guy myself).

You've hit the nail on the head about the drawbacks to doing art for the sim. It IS time intensive, hence the reason why there are so few that do it. What I am getting at here is terrain tiles are "art" too, but really can add to the immersive quality of the sim you talk about when they are done right. We are in a desperate need for new and better terrain tiles. Another new guy, Polak, has been working on new tiles for ODS (see his thread here: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=21695 ). You guys may want to have a conversation about this topic.
Cally wrote: My interests are getting access to a set of AF tools so as to:
a) Enhance the fly-any-plane experience--ideally up to and including some jury-rigged form of helicopters. It may not be kosher to the hardcore simmers out there, but as far as I'm concerned, fly-any-plane adds an awful lot of fun to the campaign.
b) Expand the ground force database (see f below).
c) Improve the ground OOB--the current battalion unit mixes are simply bizarre (waay heavy on the AA for example).
d) (Wishful thinking): find a way to hack in ground clutter (trees, etc.) in a way that doesn't drag the system to its knees. (If there was a way to specify a small bubble for a particular set of ground objects...).

f) Ideally I'd like to concoct some 'realistic'-but-contained NATO-vs-Pact campaigns (1970's-80's). (I'm aware of the Europe theatre effort and perhaps I should contribute there, but the program manager in me says some of these theatres are pushing Falcon's campaign system past its limits in an effort to be all-inclusive).
All the theater related tools are located here at the PMC download webpage: http://www.pmctactical.org/f4/downloads.php
But I have bad news on the helicopters; you can't fly them in the 3D world. The AF exec will not support that action. But you can fly any of the other fixed wing aircraft.
As to improving the OOB, the existing mix is a leftover from what the original Microprose team did back in the '90s to play balance the sim (or that's at least what I think). Adding additional units to the database is always gladly accepted, but beware because it is a real art. Something you may want to think about that brings your skill of art together with this wish to add new items to the database is a desperate need for new airbases/airstrips 3D models and textures. That would be a complex endeavor but would have many rewards in giving us much more airbase layouts to choose from when building theaters. However, this is very complex business (any time you are adding things to the database it gets that way), so my advice to you is to not bite off too much as any one time. Take your time and spend lots of time reading up on the subject here and at Frugals. But this is just a suggestion. Choose your area of participation as you wish. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask either via post or PM.
Cally wrote: But that being said, I'm here to learn and these are merely my impetus for wanting to help--not to limit my participation.
Thanks so much for this thread and your work Sherlock,
Cal
Again, welcome. Glad you are here! :)
Sherlock
Victurous te Saluto

Cally
Recruit

Post by Cally » 2009-03-01 17:34:24

Thanks Sherlock, pardon my beginner's questions about Falcon editing in advance.

My art skills are rusty but serviceable: feel free to direct 3DS MAX or Maya modeling & anim questions to me (unless we've got more experts out there). I use Photoshop liberally but I'm less skilled there. Unlike many here, I have no real-world AC experience so I'll rely on others' guidance there.

Also see my posts in the Europe Theater --I'd like to fly that one in AF.

(Because it's OT, I will create a new post regarding the perhaps-fool's-errand of creating a 'helicopter' flight model. :wink: )

-Cal

Goose
Editing Interests: Terrains

Post by Goose » 2009-03-24 16:36:33

I'd love to start learning.

I downloaded f4af brose f4 2.5
cockpit editor 4.0.4
F$ campaign creationrev 2

What else could i use?
I suppose i can't go into them all, but would like to try them to see where I'll fit best.

Oh yeah, where do i find cockpit templates?
May be the modders for the original f4 can rather edit cockpits for af since they may only have to change file formats and stuff? It would be super cool for the nam campaign.
Where can i help to improve the nam campaign for af only users?(things like the atc and bases only selectable in one scenario of the historical campaign and perhaps better ato. also whwn youhoose to rejoin your squadron it keeps srnding you back to the 41st awacs.)

Goose
Editing Interests: Terrains

Post by Goose » 2009-03-24 17:14:35

where will I find the file that with the script that determines that Your squadron transfers to another base when ur too close to the flot? Want to see if i can make it transfer u forward as the flot moves futher towards the enemy.

Sherlock
Lt. General

Post by Sherlock » 2009-03-25 17:39:51

Goose wrote:where will I find the file that with the script that determines that Your squadron transfers to another base when ur too close to the flot? Want to see if i can make it transfer u forward as the flot moves futher towards the enemy.
Welcome Goose!

Please use the other threads (or start your own) to ask questions about modding. This thread is only for introductions when you are willing to help modify theaters for AF.

There really isn't a "script" for squadron transfers to another base, it is controlled by variables that can be set in the bfops.cfg or in one of the .TRI files that go with the savex.cam file for the campaign. Here are examples:

BFops.cfg file entries:
// AirbaseCheck not sure what this does but I believe it is a boolean setting
set g_bAirbaseCheck 1
// Enable Airbase relocation (0 - disabled, 1 - enabled, default 0)
set g_bEnableABRelocation 1
// AirbaseReloc not sure what this does but I believe it is boolean setting
set g_bAirbaseReloc 1
// Relocate helicopter squads faster
set g_bHelosReloc 1
// Relocation wait (in seconds, I think)
set g_nRelocationWait 360
// Relocation Delay from the time the squadron leaves the first airbase until it appears for use at the new base (in seconds, I think). Default is 3 hours.
set g_nRelocateDelay

NOTE: These are from SuperPAK 1-4 and they may or may NOT work in allied force. I have not tested any of them.

TRI File entry:
# The numerical value sets the miles from the airbase that the enemy units must approach in 2D/3D before forcing squadron(s) relocation
#MINEVALUATEAIRBASEDISTANCE 20

Note: This came from the Lead Pursult TRI file so I know it does work in AF.
Sherlock
Victurous te Saluto

WildCard
Editing Interests: Missions

Post by WildCard » 2009-10-06 05:40:33

Hi Sherloc, WildCard here. We have chatted a little already. I am just getting my feet wet so to speak. Right now I am trying to learn how to tweak existing theaters to suite my needs. So far its going pretty well.

Sherlock
Lt. General

Post by Sherlock » 2009-10-07 04:15:47

WildCard wrote:Hi Sherloc, WildCard here. We have chatted a little already. I am just getting my feet wet so to speak. Right now I am trying to learn how to tweak existing theaters to suite my needs. So far its going pretty well.
Glad to see you show up here. Lots of good info here at PMC to draw on. Be sure and check out the Wiki here at PMC!
Sherlock
Victurous te Saluto

Snapper
Recruit

Post by Snapper » 2009-10-26 19:52:42

Hi Sherlock,
after my first attempts to edit the existing old ODS campaign with success I want to try something new. My plan is to modify one of the existing ITAFMK2 campaigns to get a scenario like the 2010 campaigns. At first i want to add a new 3d model to the existing database.
To do so I read the tutorial about database changes at the wiki but I'm not able to pass the first step. I can sucessfully add a new Parent but when I try to add a new Lod I always get the last existing LOD number and not a new one. The default -1 entry has no effect.

Is it really possible to add a new plane?

I searched a few other forums but can't find a specific tutorial for AF. I hope I'm posting in the right forum now.

Cheers

Snapper

Sherlock
Lt. General

Post by Sherlock » 2009-10-26 20:16:34

Snapper wrote:Hi Sherlock,
after my first attempts to edit the existing old ODS campaign with success I want to try something new. My plan is to modify one of the existing ITAFMK2 campaigns to get a scenario like the 2010 campaigns. At first i want to add a new 3d model to the existing database.
To do so I read the tutorial about database changes at the wiki but I'm not able to pass the first step. I can sucessfully add a new Parent but when I try to add a new Lod I always get the last existing LOD number and not a new one. The default -1 entry has no effect.

Is it really possible to add a new plane?

I searched a few other forums but can't find a specific tutorial for AF. I hope I'm posting in the right forum now.

Cheers

Snapper
Snapper,
I'm afraid I am not the guy to ask this question of. I have never tried to add a new LOD in the AF database. Also, I am not sure that even the LODEditor made for AF is fully able to modify the database the way it needs to in order to affect all the proper changes (it may be but I just don't know). Sorry.
Sherlock
Victurous te Saluto

Return to “Falcon 4 General”